Seiko 7A38 - by the numbers

Forums

Forum Home > Bend it, Mend it - Mods & Wreckers > New arrival: a battered Seiko 7A48-7040

garacs1

I just got my hands on a really battered 7A48-7040...

--

My personal Blog: www.onlyvintagewatches.com/blog

December 18, 2013 at 5:05 AM Flag Quote & Reply

garacs1

It is easy to see that this Seiko 7A48-7040 has certainly seen better times. I decided to rename it “The Old Knight“, since the seller had replaced the original band with a stainless steel mesh-type bracelet, that reminded me of the mail armour soldiers used to wear during battle.

Apart from the gunk all over the watch case, and the bracelet, I found a major problem with the dial, which is flaked as if was exposed to acid or paint remover fumes:

The screw on the dial is also pretty bad rusted, and impossible to remove (for the moment). The battery presented some signs of acid leak, but the compartment was clean. New battery in, and the watch came to life, with all functions working perfectly.

All pushers were stuck to some degree, but the problem was corrected after a throughout clean of all parts of both the case and the movement.

One switch lever (the chronograph start one) was almost completely rusted stuck in pressed position, but still intact. I managed to carefully remove it from the movement and clean it out. It is now working perfectly again.

--

December 18, 2013 at 5:19 AM Flag Quote & Reply

garacs1

As bad as it may seem, once cleand and properly oiled, the movement works perfectly well. If I manage to remove the dial and replace it with a nicer one, I might as well replace also the scratched glass. If not, I will keep it for spares.

--

December 18, 2013 at 5:22 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Sir Alan

Shame about the dial George, the sunburst moon-phase is the best part of the watch in my opinion.

December 18, 2013 at 5:27 AM Flag Quote & Reply

garacs1

It is indeed, that's the reason I got this watch in the first place. I already own a 7A48-7000, as you may know, and that is completely white. I was not expecting the damage to be so bad when I contacted the seller, though, since the pictures he was offering the watch with were so out of focus, I could not have figured it out...

--

December 18, 2013 at 6:06 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Sir Alan

Yeah, disappointingly (and deliberately) out of focus George. I hope you didn't pay too much for it.

December 18, 2013 at 6:34 AM Flag Quote & Reply

garacs1

actually no, not that much. The seller accepted my way lower offer so I am pretty fine with it, actually. I am getting another 7a48, which might need some spare parts, so it might come in handy, actually.

--

December 18, 2013 at 6:54 AM Flag Quote & Reply

garacs1

Today I received the new donor watch, wth a perfect dial and case (almost NOS conditions. Unfortunately the movement has suffered some acid damage:

I am considering if I should make of 2 watches one, using the best pats from each of the watches, since the working movement has not only a damaged dial, but also a screw which has damaged also the main plate, while the new one is basically perfect, apart some debris of the acid-eaten circuit block.

I guess the best option is to take the best parts from each, and assemble a completely "new" movement.

--

February 1, 2014 at 1:57 PM Flag Quote & Reply

garacs1

Ladies (if any....) and Gentlemen, let me present you with the final result:

I am incredibly satisfied. The band I temporarily took it from the 7A34-7000, so this is just a mock up, but it fits perfectly.

The glass is scratch-free, and the case itself has little to no marks at all. Only the back cover has a couple of very tiny scratches, but apart from this, it is almost NOS.

--

February 2, 2014 at 5:28 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Sir Alan

Lovely 8)

February 2, 2014 at 5:56 PM Flag Quote & Reply

garacs1

it is indeed, and in almost OS conditions, I couldn't be happier :)

--

February 3, 2014 at 6:11 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Sir Alan

Wait 'til you take it outside in bright sunlight :D

February 3, 2014 at 12:24 PM Flag Quote & Reply

garacs1

* that was a NOS...

For the sunlight, you'll have to wait a bit: snow first then rainn in Berlin do make it hard for the sun to shine through the clouds...

--

February 3, 2014 at 1:24 PM Flag Quote & Reply

garacs1

And today a little sunlight shone through the clouds...

A close up:

I just love this one...

--

February 4, 2014 at 4:01 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Sir Alan

Me too. :D :P 8)

February 4, 2014 at 4:47 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

What is it with you two ? A mutual admiration society ? :roll:

February 4, 2014 at 4:54 AM Flag Quote & Reply

garacs1

LOL

--

February 4, 2014 at 5:44 AM Flag Quote & Reply

bmwboris

That's a nice combination- great work!!!

Con

February 4, 2014 at 6:18 AM Flag Quote & Reply

garacs1

thanks ;)

--

February 5, 2014 at 4:18 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Sir Alan

Seiko7A38 at February 4, 2014 at 4:54 AM

What is it with you two ? A mutual admiration society ? :roll:

I don't know what you mean Paul ;)

Ooo - is that a 7A48 I'm wearing: