Seiko 7A38 - by the numbers

Forums

Forum Home > 7Axx General Discussion Area > 7A28-7110 SSAY078 Black Chrome Speedmaster (JDM Only) (Topic now re-named)

Licu

Hi, 

Browsing Ebay a little more during Christmas day I found this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171201857352

MONTRE SEIKO SPORT 364130 CHRONOGRAPHE HOMME 40 MM ACIER NOIR BOITE WATCH

It took me about 5 min to decide to purchase this. Seems like a lucky find since there is no mention of the model in the listing.

I know that this forum mainly deals with 7A38 but I want to ask:

- Is this a good price?

- This model seems pretty rare and seems to be JDM? Seems that all models without 1/10 sec written on dial to be JDM.

- This Is the first time I saw any 7A28 or 7A38 sold together with the box and also with the original package. I just hope the seller will ship those too. So I guess this is all original, untouched, directly from the owner. Is not that I want to resell this but I guess this increases the value of the entire package?

Any comments on this model are greatly appreciated.

Adrian

December 26, 2013 at 11:14 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Hi, Adrian.

Looks like you bagged yourself a bargain - in very nice condition too. :)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171201857352

Yes, the 7A28-7110 is indeed a JDM model - the equivalent (stainless) export models being the 7A28-7070 and 7A28-707A.

Although your observation about the 1/10s marking may be correct, the easiest way to recognise a JDM model is the dial script.

They have CHRONOGRAPH printed under the SEIKO logo (above QUARTZ) in block capitals, instead of the usual Chronograph in italics.

Because they're a JDM model you'll normally find them listed on Yahoo Japan Auctions (rather than eBay).

I think I mentioned one fairly recently in this thread: 

http://www.seiko7a38.com/apps/forums/topics/show/7824936-yahoo-japan-auctions-watching-watches-continued-?page=2

December 26, 2013 at 11:24 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Licu

Hi,

Yes, it seems that way. I can find very little info about this model on the internet. The only reference to a sale is from rakuten.com,

but this seems old (¥ 29,800 selling price somewhere above 200 Eur), probably well before these become popular. 

Thank you about the info on the JDM. I didn't know this. What made me believe this is JDM is the actual paper box which appears in the listing.

I am currently waiting for the seller to come back to office (around 2-3 January). I am a little nervous since my location (Romania) is in its excluded list of countries (hate it when this happens) even though the sell went through. I just hope I can convince him to send it to me. I am willing to take all the risk of loosing packet (as it never happen to me before) and even pay extra for insurance.

Kind Regards,

Adrian

December 26, 2013 at 11:34 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

There's mention of a 7A28-7110 (and other expired Rakuten links) in this Yahoo Japan watching thread on RLT, dating back to 2010.

Derek Bartle has these few photos of a well-worn example of a 7A28-7110 in an album in his What's on your Wrist blog site:

Yes - I would be a little nervous too, Adrian. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. ;)

December 26, 2013 at 11:41 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Licu

Thank you for the links Paul. It seems that "mine" is in better condition ;)

Yes, I am a little nervous, but if the seller doesn't want to send it I will try to find a friend to receive it for me (from an "accepted" country). I am also nervous about this (in the description): "Has been controled in our shop : battery need to be changed". Hopefully it didn't leaked (but I can change the movement, the case deserve a good movement inside).

I am also excited to see the box too and maybe it also has the original manual. I will keep you posted with the progress.

Regards,

Adrian

December 26, 2013 at 11:50 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

That style of black round plastic presentation box is quite normal for a JDM 7A28.

If you scroll through our forum's Yahoo Japan Auctions thread (linked in a previous post) you'll see a couple more examples of it. ;)

December 26, 2013 at 12:35 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Licu

Oh, ok, nice to have it though. I don't have any of the accessories for all my other 7A28/38. Also what I've noticed in the photos is that the tachymeter is a little off, so I guess at one point the movement was out of the case. Seems this to happen quite often with these Seikos, many watch service guys don't bother to check its position when putting the chapter ring back even though is an easy job. Thanks again for all the info.

December 26, 2013 at 1:20 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

You've probably seen this before, but here's a slightly enlarged illustration of the 7A28-7110 from the 1984 Japanese catalogue:

December 27, 2013 at 1:39 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Licu

Ok, thanks. 40000 Yen back then. Today that is 275 Eur. Serious money in 80's. Seller doesn't want to ship directly to me. So I have to use the address of a friend from Italy it seems. Hopefully there will be no problems.

December 27, 2013 at 1:37 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Licu

Another one appeared on the ebay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221348823528

A little too pricey I think.

January 10, 2014 at 2:29 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Yes, agreed a bit pricey with a 240 Euros opening bid. Adrian. 

Also it's a pity that the seller has only included the one photo in their listing:

The watch head looks pretty decent, but you've got no way of telling the amount of rubbing wear to the black chrome on the bracelet.

January 10, 2014 at 3:50 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Licu
From what I can figure out, it says that more photos are available upon request. Don't know why sellers keep doing this lately, probably to see how many are really interested, or maybe to try to hide defects, especially from more knowledgeable collectors.
--

January 10, 2014 at 4:06 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Licu

And it did't sell. Relisted with the same starting bid:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Orologio-Seiko-7A28-7110-Chronograph-quartz-vintage-/221352971638?

but with 35 Eur for shipping (instead of the original 40 Eur) which is also a little pricey.

Paul, let me know if it is better to just stop the posts about this new listing here. Maybe forum ebay section is a better place for anyone interested in this.

January 12, 2014 at 11:41 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

It's not doing any harm here where it is, Adrian. ;)

Besides, there are already a couple of other 7A28 model specific topics in this forum section which include eBay links.

January 12, 2014 at 11:45 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Here are a couple more 7A28-7110's I spotted recently.

This one is currently listed on Yahoo Japan auctions with an opening bid price of 33,000 Yen (no bids placed) and 2 days to go:

http://page9.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/k173747143

7A28-7110 黒 ブラック スピードマスター ジャンク

Not in the best of condition, with normal wear to the black chrome coating. 33,000 Yen is equivalent to 193 GBP / $320 USD ....

Which makes this other 7A28-7110, that was listed on eBay.com (only) in the States a couple of days ago a FAR better buy:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261377886854

Vintage SEIKO Speedmaster Chronograph Tachymeter WATCH 7A28 - 7110

The description read:

Vintage, pre-owned, black Seiko Chrono Speedmaster men's wristwatch. New battery has been installed. The bottom circle is the "second hand" and the watch hands are keeping fine running time. I don't know how to work the side circles or the hand that looks like the second hand which is pointed at 12:00. I haven't pressed any of the 4 side buttons because I have no idea what they do. The watchmaker who installed the new battery said it works fine.

There are some scratches to the face and some of the black of the metal band has faded from wear, but overall, it's in very nice condition. Might be rare as I can't find many Seiko Speedmasters that look like this.

This was a 7-day auction listing. It sold for $149 (approx. £89.90) after only one bid:

Purchased by a new member of this forum - whose abbreviated eBay ID I recognised instantly. ;)

January 28, 2014 at 4:04 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Jota

Man, there number of models are endless. That's a pretty one indeed. Congrats to the recent owners. :)

January 28, 2014 at 4:24 AM Flag Quote & Reply

donwatch

Arrived today ---I was only bidder @ 149 US  JDM

January 29, 2014 at 10:42 PM Flag Quote & Reply

MTX371

Very nice! :)

January 30, 2014 at 3:38 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Licu at January 12, 2014 at 11:41 AM

And it did't sell. Relisted with the same starting bid:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Orologio-Seiko-7A28-7110-Chronograph-quartz-vintage-/221352971638?

but with 35 Eur for shipping (instead of the original 40 Eur) which is also a little pricey.

Paul, let me know if it is better to just stop the posts about this new listing here. Maybe forum ebay section is a better place for anyone interested in this.

That 7A28-7110 on eBay Italy has been re-listed a few times more since - at the same 240 Euros starting bid price. 

This is the latest: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221365884132 - by my reckoning about the 5th or 6th time. What I did notice though was that two listings previously, he'd changed the photo. Not added a second one, mind you, but replaced his original head-on shot. :roll:

February 4, 2014 at 7:13 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

I'd seen a couple more 7A28-7110's listed on Yahoo Japan recently, but hadn't bothered to mention them. They were in typical used condition with worn black coating. But this morning I spotted this NOS with tags example, currently listed by one of those 'store' sellers.

http://page3.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/c419907818

デッドレトロ珍品未使用 セイコースピードマスター動品 D005

Google translates the Japanese description as follows:

Dead retro curiosities unused Seiko Speedmaster motion from 39 mm 39 mm Size: 7A28-7110 A5 351313 It is an old unused quartz retro. Verified some cases, dirt etc. therefore somewhat old stock goods ※. ★ is the thing that it is different from the color of the actual state of the environment by the lighting of the personal computer publication photograph please consent because there. ★ bruise and scratches, dirt, etc. due to the passage because it becomes old thing bid after having had you understand that there should be a successful bid. Even if you are not written in the item description, even if not reflected in the photograph should be thought that there somewhat. Bid after having had you understand the contents of the above, please make a bid. Please do not absolutely bid it is said finely. No claim, no return.

Note the 40,000 Yen Price tag (as per the Seiko catalogue illustration) and the original very flat matt black finish.

.... and before Don points it out :P - the greeny-blue case-back protective film, just visible in the third photo.

April 6, 2014 at 5:36 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.