Seiko 7A38 - by the numbers

Subtitle

Forums

Forum Home > Non-Seiko General Discussion Area - Contemporary Chrono's > BMW Could this be something I should look at? (Moved)

Rob Benham

It's just minutes from my house, and I did wonder if it was made by Seiko.  Anyone seen one of these before?  (I'm sure someone has :) )

http://mcallen.en.craigslist.org/jwd/4277782860.html

January 10, 2014 at 11:55 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Unlikely to be Seiko (of any kind) inside, Rob. It's more likely to use a cheap Miyota (Citizen) movement.

January 10, 2014 at 12:16 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Rob Benham

Had a quick look while road testing the car and it was an odd mixture of old and new, quality and tinsel.  Very solidly built, but had almost nothing on the back - or on the dial apart from the little BMW roundel.

Just for general interest I'll mention that I dropped by another EZ Pawn (it took me a while to get the name.  E-Zee makes sense to the Americans) and spotted an Omega.  I was told right away that it was a replica, but I looked at it just for fun.  I'll go back a step.  A while back, after casually looking at a $22,000 Daytona, it was by the most extraordinary coincidence that my D-I-L said I could have a Daytona she didn't want.  It was $180.  Now that was tinsel.  The numbers had been stamped out and the back didn't really screw off.  Nothing, but nothing was good about it.  She sent it back to China.

This morning, I looked at the Omega in astonishment.  It was beautifully made, multi-point holes for back removal and very chunky build.  As far as I could tell, even the minute writing on the dial had been copied.  However, the back had a little window revealing a self-winding weight, and other mechanisms could be seen.  They all looked well made, but the wrong hue of gold.  Suddenly I was back in Tinseltown.  I wonder if there was a crystal-driven mechanism in front of that machinery. 

January 10, 2014 at 2:24 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

O.K., Rob - as this thread is wandering further off-topic, even for the eBay section, I'm going to move it to somewhere it may fit better.

When I can figure out where, that is. :P

January 10, 2014 at 2:28 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

This is about the best place.

January 10, 2014 at 2:31 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.