Seiko 7A38 - by the numbers

Subtitle

Forums

Forum Home > Bend it, Mend it - Mods & Wreckers > IT LIVES AGAIN! - or it is possible to reassemble a train bridge.

JKN

First let me say I am very new to watch fixing. My dad had a 7A28 that blew  up a battery a decade or more ago rendering it dead which I figured I would tear down for practice knowing it was beyond hope so I couldn't hurt it. When I got it torn down it was in pretty good condition just gunked up. Not much corrosion on anything critical so I figured I would look for help and found this forum. Unfortunately that was after I took apart the train bridge. Let me say that while it is not easy you can get it back together. Be patient and don't force anything. Cleaned it all and got the bare movement together and believe it or not she runs. Second hand is going continuously and all 4 shafts do a full rotation during the trial run. Any thing else I should check to make sure it all works before investing in a new stem (dad doesn't remember how it got broke but is was after it died) a crystal and seals?

Thanks to everyone for all the great info posted here. I would likely have never gotten this far without your help and at least at this point it is looking like my dad might get his watch back.

March 24, 2014 at 9:10 PM Flag Quote & Reply

donwatch

Magnificent first post----back from the dead is a grand feeling. ;)

March 24, 2014 at 10:05 PM Flag Quote & Reply

garacs1

Hi JKN, nice to hear you managed to get the main bridge back on place, an operation not many achieve without loosing their patience one time too many :P

Pics of the 7A28?

--

My personal Blog: www.onlyvintagewatches.com/blog

March 26, 2014 at 11:49 AM Flag Quote & Reply

JKN

Took me three attempts at different times but it finally worked out. Not much to take pictures of until I get it all back together. Need to take it back apart and get it really clean before final assembly. I just wanted to see if it would work again before buying the parts and taking the time to get it completely clean. I promise pictures when it's back in one piece again.

March 26, 2014 at 9:26 PM Flag Quote & Reply

donwatch

"Now take it back apart again and clean and oil it"  My mentor would say to me, sending chills down my spine!!  :P

March 26, 2014 at 10:07 PM Flag Quote & Reply

JKN

Yeah. After verifying all 4 rotors worked I was happy for about 30 seconds before my internal voice said the same thing. I think I was looking around and the moving parts and saw a piece of crud on something. But, I did it once I can do it again. Need to get some non-magnetic tweezers though. Handling the magnetic parts with two sticks was time consuming and frustrating.

--

John

March 27, 2014 at 6:28 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

I promise pictures when it's back in one piece again.

Well done, so far, John. ;)

Per our earlier exchange of emails / messages, perhaps when you take those photos you can use one for a more suitable avatar. :P

March 27, 2014 at 8:49 AM Flag Quote & Reply

JKN

Update - Good news is that I took the whole darn thing apart, cleaned oiled and reassembled it and it works! Been running for two days now. Only evil parts was the hands. I am going to need a ton of practice before that is going to get perfected. Crystal replacement took less time than waiting in line to pay for the press at Harbor Freight. Bad news is I am held up by the lack of one pusher clip which disappeared off the bench. I swear I set it down. Looked away and when I looked back it was gone. All the parts I flipped though the air across the bench I found but this one just walked away when I wasn't looking. At any rate the finale will have to wait until I can justify another parts order to add a replacement clip to. Did snap a pic to bring my avatar more in line with the social norm. :)

--

John

April 14, 2014 at 10:30 PM Flag Quote & Reply

donwatch

John did you try dragging a magnet around for the c-clip  :/  A+ on getting the 7A28 back AND running  :D

April 14, 2014 at 11:31 PM Flag Quote & Reply

JKN

Oh yeah! That saved me several times. I still have some tweezer skills to improve on.

--

John

April 15, 2014 at 5:25 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.