Seiko 7A38 - by the numbers

Forums

Forum Home > 7Txx General Discussion Area > Unwanted purchase: Seiko 7T62-0EG0

garacs1

This is strange... I really didn't want to get this one, but a tiny gremlin inside my brain made my finger click on the (make an offer) button... twice!

End of the story, I bought this Seiko 7T62-0EG0 yesterday, and am waiting for it to arrive next week... From the pictures posted by the seller, it does not appear in too bad a condition, even if the rotating bezel does need some "resuscitation"... The serial is 437131, dating it all the way back to March 1994 I suppose. Or is it 2004? I have to check that...

The discoloring on the rotating bezel will be relatively easy to fix, what worries me is the apparent "sun cooking effect" on the dial.

The description of the seller is quite vague, honestly, and regarding the dial status, only says that  it has a "sort of starry background"...

I can only judge the real status when it will be here, in my hands...

--

My personal Blog: www.onlyvintagewatches.com/blog

March 27, 2014 at 4:55 AM Flag Quote & Reply

garacs1

Ok apparently I was wrong, there is (should) be nothing wrong with the dial... I found some info on this particular model, and it is called "Seiko Criteria Sports", its part no. being SNA441P1, the dial having part no. 0FE8XL13. An Image I found on the web (of the few there is for this particular model....):

A description I found on the web for this model is: Textured Grey dial/ Blue subdials/ Orange markers. Another image shows it better:

I hope the seller is a bad photograper...

--

March 27, 2014 at 11:56 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

.... dating it all the way back to March 1994 I suppose. Or is it 2004? I have to check that...

It'll be 2004 for a 7T62 George. I believe Seiko used the preceding 'workhorse' 7T32 quartz chrono' movement from late 1989 to 2001.

March 27, 2014 at 12:11 PM Flag Quote & Reply

garacs1

If you are right (which I believe you are...) then the seller has got it wrong, too, since he declared "...Case number 437131 dates this to Mar. 1994"

--

March 27, 2014 at 12:28 PM Flag Quote & Reply

garacs1

And the watch finally arrived... and it looks in real life much better than in the pictures, I must admit. The glass is completely scratch-free, the bezel is the one in worst condition, but still, I can live with it. The band is quite good, and the case, dirty as hell, has only a few dents and minor scratches. It arrived with a working battery on, but it was motionless. I pulled out the crown to see if it was stuck, and after pushing it back in, the small second hand started to move flawlessly. All functions work, as far as I can see, and even the alarm sounds. It is just a question now to disassemble the case, clean, check for hidden issues in the movement, and reassembly. Another TLC job. Nice...

--

April 3, 2014 at 5:06 AM Flag Quote & Reply

garacs1

Here we go... Since the movement was working perfectly well, I decided to let it alone for the moment, I will tackle it when I have more time, and space. I focused  then on the case, setting up for a good clean. This is the final result:

As you can see the white marks on the rotating bezel are missing. They were too badly damaged/dirty to keep, so I decided to remove them, to only reapply clean white paint at a second moment. This will be dealt with on another thread, in the appropriate section of this forum.

As a final consideration, though, the metal band appears to 1-2mm too small for my wrist. It is tight, but not uncomfortable. I will have to get one of those stretching add ons, I guess, if I want to keep this.

--

April 3, 2014 at 9:15 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.