Seiko 7A38 - by the numbers

Subtitle

Forums

Forum Home > Bend it, Mend it - Mods & Wreckers > 7T62-0EG0: repainting the rotating bezel

garacs1

As you may (or may not) know, I acquired a Seiko 7T62-0EG0 a couple of weeks ago. It came in only today, so I had a go at cleaning it well, as I usually do.

Cleaning the case was straightforward, a toothbrush and some dish soap did the trick for the case and the metal band. One thing, though, I was not able to clean: the white and orange numerals on the rotating bezel.

This is how dirty it was:

After some tinkering with a nail tip, and a couple of oil drops to ease the scrubbing, this is how the 15 minute marker was:

--

My personal Blog: www.onlyvintagewatches.com/blog

April 3, 2014 at 1:15 PM Flag Quote & Reply

garacs1

The amount of dirt and "who-knows-what" was just incredible... Anyway, I managed to remove it all. The dots on the bezel were more difficult, so I did what I could on those. The end result is not so bad

Even for the 12 hour marker:

--

April 3, 2014 at 1:17 PM Flag Quote & Reply

garacs1

Now was the turn of the white minute markers:

These were almost impossible to clean with the nail tip, resulting in removing the paint itself:

A close-up of the 45 minutes marker, completely clean:

This is how it looks now:

I have decided that it will stay like this for the moment, until I find a proper way to repaint the minute markers. Have any idea of what type of paint I should use? It still looks good like this:

But frankly, I kinda miss the white markers :P

--

April 3, 2014 at 1:19 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

I'd suggest Acrylic - something like Tamiya plastic model paint, George. If you accidentally overlap the edges you can carefully scratch off the excess paint (once it's dried), using the point of a wooden cocktail stick, leaving a pretty clean sharp edge to the characters.

That's how I re-painted much of the slide rule bezel markings on this Kamatz 518000. As received (seller's photo on Craigslist):

If you look closely at the red triangle between the 60 and 65 marks, you can see where I rushed the job (the paint was still a bit tacky):

April 3, 2014 at 1:39 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

I have also used Enamel (genuine 1970's vintage Humbrol plastic modeller's paint) to completely re-do the bezel markings on a couple of Yema Spationaute III's - both 43mm and 38mm sizes. This is the first one I ever did - the bezel was pretty badly dinged up:

This paint is as tough as old boots once it's dried, so there's now way you'd be able to pick off any excess. My technique is to let the paint dry hard, leaving it for about a week, then set the bezel up in my dremel and skim off any excess paint using Wet and Dry paper. Of course with your 7T62's bezel being coated that isn't really an option for you. :P

April 3, 2014 at 2:11 PM Flag Quote & Reply

garacs1

The Tamiya option looks  indeed the best one, I have some experience, having fiddled with Tamiya models when I was young. I do not have the paints anymore, but eBay is full of it...:

http://www.ebay.de/itm/121311132412

That should do the trick, I suppose... And since I am on it, I think I will redo also the orange markers:

http://www.ebay.de/itm/251420365688

BTW, Paul, the bezel is not coated, but looks like it has been "blued". Another thing I noticed, while wearing this watch, is that the metal band has been brushed, since the center inlets, that should have been mirror shine, do show signs of metal brushing.

--

April 3, 2014 at 3:36 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

George. The trick is to scratch off the excess paint when it's just about set. Don't leave it drying for too long otherwise it can flake. ;)

PS - I'd use Tamiya # XF-2. :P

April 3, 2014 at 3:54 PM Flag Quote & Reply

garacs1

White matt? mm probably you are right, the matt color would fit better, contrasting with the shiny blue finish of the bezel... Good idea ;) I'd also buy this:

http://www.ebay.de/itm/251339160641

To cover the paint and avoid it gets dirty again...

--

April 4, 2014 at 2:22 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.