Seiko 7A38 - by the numbers

Forums

Forum Home > 7Axx General Discussion Area > I love the smell of NOS in the morning.

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

New Old Stock, that is - not Napalm. :P

N.O.S. is a term much abused by eBay sellers to promote their listings.

But when you actually manage to get hold of genuine N.O.S. - be it a complete watch, spare parts like bezels or dials, there's a certain satisfaction - as in the case of the parts I sourced recently for my 7A38-6070 restoration project. N.O.S. 7Axx movement parts or complete movements are always nice to have, particularly handy to support a collection as large as my own.

Last year I bought a couple of allegedly N.O.S. 7A38A movements from a New Zealand-based eBay seller thomasbangalter303.

He's still currently listing various 7Txx (and other) N.O.S. Seiko movements: http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/thomasbangalter303

This is the composite photo he used in all his (possibly half a dozen) listings for 7A38A movements:

From memory the first one I bought in August 2013 cost $99 as a Buy-it-Now. Not too bad. I needed a couple of spare movements with black day / date wheels for project watches. It looked O.K. when it arrived, so I bought a second one from him (off eBay). When that arrived, it was missing the dial / movement spacer (and the two tiny dial feet screws). I complained and he promptly supplied them. 

Unusually both came with a crown fitted and the stem cut to length - one of which I recognised as the dark grey / black chrome crown off a 7A38-704x. The other crown was possibly off a JDM 7A38-6050, but the movement didn't have a Kanji day wheel. In January this year, I bought another off him - this time with silvery / white day / date wheels - it came supplied without crown and stem. Each of these movements came in a little zip-lock polythene bag, inside a cheap plastic trinket box with a fresh Dymo label stating 7A38 (not 7A38A).

They clearly weren't genuine N.O.S. 7A38A movements - as would have been supplied by Seiko (in period) as spare parts. They were clean enough and looked new - and as it turned out, worked O.K.. But it dawned on me later that Thomas Bangalter had probably got hold of these movements by breaking up N.O.S. watches. I asked him the question by email, twice (naturally enquiring what had become of the rest of the watch parts), but he declined to reply.

July 17, 2014 at 5:52 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Last week, I spotted what I believe to be a genuine N.O.S. 7A38A movement listed by a Zero-feedback Dutch eBay seller:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321457382455

The seller's 3 photos were tiny:

Initially, I hesitated - very briefly, because it was 'missing' the dial / movement spacer; all-important day wheel and crown stem.

But then I quickly remembered how the parts lists for the 7A38A movement were displayed on Seiko Oceania's database. 8)

The problem is that what we see on Seiko Oz is just a parts list - not a multi-level Bill of Material as probably once existed (on paper).

Parts like the crown stem, day and date wheels would have been added at different stages of the manufacturing process.

Unfortunately the product code typed on the label: SM7A38SAA920J (which ticks all the right boxes) isn't found on Seiko Oceania.

The nearest you get are these:

The 7A38A movement arrived in yesterday morning's post. The other thing that's since convinced me it was 'the genuine article' was the packaging. The little plastic box is almost a perfect fit for the movement. But it doesn't just drop down into it. It's suspended sandwiched between two very thin (think Durex Gossamer) rubber diaphrams - one in the lid, the other halfway down the box.

Thus delicate components like the chronograph hand spigots and the finger tension spring are very carefully protected.

July 17, 2014 at 6:47 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

I notice the seller has re-listed both NOS 7A28A and 7A38A movements this morning. Pity they've got greedy (price and postage). 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321464843602

July 17, 2014 at 7:25 AM Flag Quote & Reply

nova

I saw this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Seiko-7A28-caliber-werk-/321457958333

before, but it looks like a used one, screwdriver marks in the battery area; some screws looks like handled and some fingerprints.

Maybe a changed one or changed coil and / or circuit.

July 17, 2014 at 8:26 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

I'd seen that at the same time as I bought the 7A38A movement (while it was still available) Andre. ;)

I mentioned it in this other thread, in the eBay section, last night:

Or, if you'd been quick off the mark, last week you could have bought a complete NOS Seiko 7A28A movement from a Dutch seller:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321457958333

July 17, 2014 at 9:09 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Smell (as in the title) being the operative word. More like 'stink'.  Let me remind you of these various quotes from my first post:

Last year I bought a couple of allegedly N.O.S. 7A38A movements from a New Zealand-based eBay seller thomasbangalter303.

It looked O.K. when it arrived, so I bought a second one from him (off eBay). When that arrived, it was missing the dial / movement spacer (and the two tiny dial feet screws). I complained and he promptly supplied them.

Unusually both came with a crown fitted and the stem cut to length - one of which I recognised as the dark grey / black chrome crown off a 7A38-704x.

Here's that second 7A38(A) movement (which I haven't used yet), with the dial / movement spacer and screws he supplied separately:

Note the dark grey / black chrome 7A38-704x crown (and stem) fitted.

They clearly weren't genuine N.O.S. 7A38A movements - as would have been supplied by Seiko (in period) as spare parts. They were clean enough and looked new - and as it turned out, worked O.K.. But it dawned on me later that Thomas Bangalter had probably got hold of these movements by breaking up N.O.S. watches. I asked him the question by email, twice (naturally enquiring what had become of the rest of the watch parts), but he declined to reply.

I guess the ignorant little scumbag thinks I'd have forgotten by now. He's just answered my question.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121400337694

You'll note that this 'complete case' is missing the crown and stem. Wonder where that could be ? 

August 2, 2014 at 10:33 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.