Seiko 7A38 - by the numbers

Subtitle

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > How NOT to successfully register on this forum

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Members who have joined the forum over the last few months will be familiar with the standard message that I send out as an invitation to complete their profile. It's part of a three-stage registration process that I implemented from around mid-March this year, in an effort to keep out scammers, spammers and other 'undesirable elements' - and basically to keep the numbers under control. It simply reads:

Hello (insert name*) 

I have provisionally approved your membership.

Please complete your profile fully, including location.

When I see you've done that, I'll upgrade your access level.**

Regards, Paul.

*Added if I can figure out their first name from their chosen profile name or their email address (or by googling either of them).

**Default membership level for new joiners is 'Limited' - which actually allows them to see no more than if they weren't registered.

Pretty simple request you'd think, right ? :/

July 23, 2014 at 4:50 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

This evening I've received 3 new member registration notifications. One was successful; the other is currently incomplete; one failed.

This person tried to register using the username 'PRS' which, in hindsight, may well have been his initials.

Googling his email address (which he published) provided little in the way of meaningful results - though again that might be his name.

His pathetic initial effort at completing a profile was merely to choose 'MALE'. No age (not mandatory) and no location given.

Once I'd seen his half-hearted attempt at registration, I was able to track down his IP address - an iPhone user in Florida, USA.

I then watched as he tried to access other forum sections (while still a 'Limited Member') only to get the ACCESS DENIED message.

I wrote a message on his incomplete profile, something like:

Please complete your profile properly (as requested - including location). THEN I'll upgrade your access level. 

July 23, 2014 at 4:55 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Ten minutes later, he wrote back on my profile:

"I have to publish personal info to gain access? What kind of communist website is this?"

In reply, I wrote on his profile: Clearly one that doesn't need the likes of you as a member, obviously.

THAT simple.

July 23, 2014 at 5:16 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Just out of curiosity, I retrospectively googled the foreign sounding name in this person's email address and found the following:

http://twitter.com/phizzzlle

http://www.facebook.com/ParhamSaniei

http://www.facebook.com/public/Parham-Saniei

http://plus.google.com/110034783041282916826/posts

http://www.whitepages.com/name/Parham-R-Saniei/Cooper-City-FL/8fvd6ye

This same person seems to have absolutely no qualms about publishing his personal information all over the Web.

And all it would have taken to complete his profile (in terms of 'location') and registration would have been FL. USA. :roll:

Still who needs him ? :P

July 24, 2014 at 6:29 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

I've just deleted another potential new member - Ferrariworld.

I've got nothing against anybody else's enthusiasm for the Ferrari marque, but signing up to the forum, without even having been fully approved, nor making any attempt at an introduction; going straight into Quote & Reply mode, posting simply 'HOW MUCH ?' on just about every Ferrari Formula related thread on the forum in the space of half an hour is a bit too much in my book. :roll: Even threads like Bigglesmclee's 7A38 movement swap thread, which makes no mention of value - other than 'sentimental', FFS ....

He was warned:

In response, he posted this on my profile:

7 times ! :mad: I did warn him:

February 28, 2015 at 10:16 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Some potential 'new members' don't even get sent an invitation. :( I've rejected a few spurious membership applications recently.

This one appeared in my email inbox this morning (sent at 4:37am UK time).

As soon as I saw the gmail email address, I suspected it was likely to be a spammer - before I even got to the control panel. :roll:

You wouldn't believe what this numpty chose as a user ID - nightraid. Needless to say, he didn't pass 'Go' or collect $200. :lol:

February 18, 2017 at 7:49 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Seiko7A38 at July 23, 2014 at 4:50 PM

Members who have joined the forum over the last few months will be familiar with the standard message that I send out as an invitation to complete their profile. It's part of a three-stage registration process that I implemented from around mid-March this year, in an effort to keep out scammers, spammers and other 'undesirable elements' - and basically to keep the numbers under control. It simply reads:

Hello (insert name*) 

When I see you've done that, I'll upgrade your access level.**

Regards, Paul.

Those of you who know me (albeit over the Internet) will probably have gathered that I have a limited amount of patience. I'm getting increasingly fed up of the number of potential new members who register on the site and take forever* (or never actually get around to) creating a profile. I know they're there, as 'invisible' lurkers, from the forum control panel. Well your time's up, I'm afraid.

I'll usually send out 3 or 4 standard polite reminders to complete a profile, then a slightly modified message which reads.

Hello.

When I see you've done that, I'll upgrade your access level.

Regards, Paul.

This is your FINAL reminder to complete a profile.

Failure to do so will result in the DELETION of your incomplete registration.

From that point you have 24 hours to comply. If I delete your registration, don't bother re-applying to join. It will be rejected.

*What the heck - I'll name and shame someone. Currently, the oldest outstanding pending new member is rbob99 who applied to join on 16th March - two weeks ago FFS ! :mad: He's just been sent his final reminder message.

March 30, 2017 at 1:30 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.