Seiko 7A38 - by the numbers

Forums

Forum Home > 7Axx General Discussion Area > Fixed Bars on 7A38-706A?

najeeb

Has anyone ever encountered a 7A38 with fixed bars?

August 3, 2014 at 12:58 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

No Najeeb. The only 7Axx that came with fixed bars was the 7A28-7120 RAF Gen. 1. It's a 'Military' (UK MOD specification) thing.

The 7A38-706A, which was a normal civilian model, came with conventional double-ended flanged 20mm (x 1.5mm ∅) spring bars.

However, if you remember this thread (which you started):

http://www.seiko7a38.com/apps/forums/topics/show/12863975-7a28-7020-stainless-white-dial-chrono-military-connotations-

The similarities between the conventionally lugged 7A28-702x case (discussed in that thread) and the 7A38-706x case make it relatively easy to fake using over-compressed / over-long 'universal' 1.8mm ∅ spring bars. So what have you seen ? Where ?

August 3, 2014 at 1:05 PM Flag Quote & Reply

najeeb

Thanks for your response.  I took one into the local clockmaker, having had to cut off what to my amateur eye appeared to be an open-ended strap:  despite my best efforts I'd been unable to get the bars to release.  Based on what you say about the possibility that we're dealing with an over-compressed set of spring bars, I'm going to see him tomorrow to let him know what I've learned from you.

Though I suspect he won't need my advice on how to get this sorted, would it be easiest for him just to cut the bars to free them?

I'd love to have the option of switching straps as my mood dictates.

No doubt if I were more dextrous I could've got the bars out myself, but I didn't want to mar the lugs any more than I already had done.

August 3, 2014 at 1:32 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

It's a pity you didn't take a couple of photos of the lugs and (spring)bars before you handed it over to your local watchmaker, Najeeb.

I might have been able to advise you better. :/

Now let me hazard a wild guess. Did the 'open-ended strap' you had to cut off happen to be a short Hirsch black leather one ? :|

August 3, 2014 at 3:06 PM Flag Quote & Reply

najeeb

Busted.  I can hear the groans and tut-tuts from this side of the pond.  I'm entirely too impetuous for my own good, and deserve what small hidings life metes out.  But I've come late to the game--I'm in my mid-60s--and fully expect to make more rash choices.

So, having justly rebuked myself for my impetuousness, I stand chastened before the 7A community.

August 3, 2014 at 4:48 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

What you decide you want to pay for a 7Axx is entirely up to you, Najeeb. :P

Perhaps you'd like to PM the previous owner (who still has the same 7A38-706A as his avatar), asking what he used for spring bars.

August 3, 2014 at 4:54 PM Flag Quote & Reply

donwatch

Najeeb- I'll jump in and say that when I have had your problem with stuck spring bars I make a small saw out of a single sided razor blade. First I scrape it on a rough piece of sand paper and then slip it in betwen the lug and band and very carefully saw the spring bar---works most of the time :roll: 8)  OK Paul ,now slap  me :P

August 3, 2014 at 4:55 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Wassup, Don ? Can't afford an X-Acto razor saw then ? :P

August 3, 2014 at 5:13 PM Flag Quote & Reply

najeeb

Paul:  thanks, will contact previous owner.

donwatch:  Thanks for the tip.

August 3, 2014 at 6:20 PM Flag Quote & Reply

7ARCool

Hi, when I have similar issues, to protect the wach case I put a thin strip of plastic between the spring bar and watch case.

Then using a small pair of wire cutters, cut the spring bar in the center.

If it does not cut straight through, the crease in the springbar should allow you to bend it out.  :lol:

August 5, 2014 at 3:12 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.