Seiko 7A38 - by the numbers

Subtitle

Forums

Forum Home > 7Axx General Discussion Area > My birthdate 7A38-7295

Frdwrd

My 7A38-7295 (my first 7AXX) has arrived in California.

It'll be getting a new strap (probably black leather, unless I can locate something more authentic) and a check-up there before joining me in Japan. This particular watch is special, because it was made in the same year and month I was born, and the rest of the serial number is the exact date of my birth.

I'm making a laundry list of things to look at fixing. The chrono sweep second is off another model, the original bracelet is gone, the crystal is mildly scratched, the black coating is damaged in places, and who knows what the inside looks like. I'm still new at this, so please point out anything that looks wrong. I do have confirmation that the chrono self-test runs smoothly, so that's something.

For now I only have extremely poor quality photos. I'll make a stab at properly posting them here:

Updates with better pictures and more questions will follow when it reaches me, probably in a couple weeks.

September 26, 2014 at 10:03 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Frdwrd

This finally made across the Pacific to me. It's pretty much what I expected. 2 o'clock pusher gets stuck in, 4 o'clock is unreliable, and 10 o'clock seems to not work at all. Cosmetic condition is fair. I'll be taking it into the city to find a reputable repair shop soon.

Here's a couple more pictures:

And the full album in very-high resolution. 

October 11, 2014 at 6:39 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

That doesn't look so bad, James - even on the non-original rubber strap. A replacement crystal should improve it no end. ;)

I see you've got the day set on SAB (Portuguese) rather than SAT (English). Does this mean you get SEX on Fridays ? :lol:

October 11, 2014 at 6:49 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Frdwrd

The rubber strap looks and feels pretty cheap. Replacing it is high on my priority list.

The day actually seems to be Spanish, so Friday is VIE. But that sounds like a reason to find a Portuguese day wheel. 

October 11, 2014 at 7:15 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Oh, that is disappointing, James. :( I'd always assumed that the ZFM models, being 'built' in Brazil for the domestic market would have had Portuguese / English day wheels. Spanish / English appears to to have been the most common 'default' for the US market (indeed most of North and South America). Though I can't actually state, hand on heart, that I've ever actually seen any ZFM 7A38 showing SEX in the day window. I've certainly seen it on other older Seiko models - like this '5'. I'll have another look through the various photos of ZFM's I have on file - and maybe drop an email to Paulo Daneau who has a mint 7A38-7295, asking him. Of course, knowing what a bunch of uncaring watch-botchers that outfit watches.br are, there's always the chance they may have swapped the movement. :/

PS - A while back I started compiling a list of Seiko part numbers for 7A38 day wheels vs languages in Excel. See if I can find it again.

Edit: it was nearly 4 years ago. See this old thread on the RLT forum: http://www.thewatchforum.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=71783

October 11, 2014 at 7:38 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Frdwrd

I looked through all the pictures I could find, and they were all displaying English. Thanks for looking into it for me, I'll be interested to know what you find out. I already know the sweep second hand has been swapped, I'd love to know if anything else is wrong. I have at least some budget to get things fixed up.

I also looked at the thread you linked, but the photobucket links seem to be broken.

October 11, 2014 at 8:07 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Funny thing, James I've just gone through all my saved photos of ZFM 7A38 models: -7075, -7085, -7275 and -7295 ....

and bar one exception (a set of 10 images) they were all showing English day abbreviations. :roll:

It was a rough-ish example of a 7A38-7295 on a leather strap, listed by Filipino eBay seller Watchcooking (José Sotto) in June 2009:

You'll be pleased to know that one also had a Spanish / English day wheel - MIE being the spanish abbreviation for Wednesday. 

October 11, 2014 at 8:33 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Frdwrd

Well that's good to know. Kind of strange though. I wonder why Brazilian domestic models have Spanish / English day wheels.

Sometime in the next week I'll be able to get into the city and have someone open it up. I'm okay with the yellow second hand for now (I'll try to figure out the correct p/n soon), but the pushers need to be fixed. I'm sure I'll have some more questions once that's done.

October 11, 2014 at 8:54 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

That's easy. The Seiko part number for the correct white sweep second hand which should be fitted to your 7A38-7295 is 13SC06LW.

Finding one might not be so easy. :/ It was only used on the 7A38-7010, JDM 7A38-7110, 7A38-7270 / -7275 and 7A38-7290 / -7295.

October 11, 2014 at 9:23 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.