Seiko 7A38 - by the numbers

Forums

Forum Home > 7Axx General Discussion Area > Newbies first solo hunt (and kill) for 7a28 7040?

Kristo

Hello there folks I thought you might be interested in this, my first watch related post of sorts. I went hunting last night for the very first time on eBay and came home with this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Men-039-s-Seiko-Watch-Sports-100-Stainless-Steel-Analog-Chronograph-Tachymeter-/131325597064

“What is it:”? I can hear you say and I have to admit that the photos, if not worst ebay photo material are a little blurred. And what of the description? Not overly wordy that’s for sure. Succinct maybe? What does a newbie do? Hold back and buy off a reputable forum? A good idea and probably one that I should have taken up but the call of the wild was too strong. At that point, I had been stalking /watching it for about 4 days so there was no going back empty handed. I had seen my prey and I waited, committed to something unseen and undescribed, a vague blur in the distance that needed a battery!? Why had I not bought that lovely example over on tz?........ Oh yes I remember now, more of the" CONUS ONLY BALONEY" anyway I digress. I asked the seller ,a purveyor of women’s creams and women’s body lotions ( amongst other things equally non watch related) , if the dial was clean and if the Chrono functions worked to which he replied that yes the inside dial was clean and that with a new battery the watch would indeed function as it was supposed to. Seemed reasonable. Of course I suppose I could and probably should have asked many more pertinent questions as to the condition of the piece etc. and in fact how it came about that he was selling one of these, how shall we say, semi-precious (to some at least) moderately sought after time pieces. Was it by design or by hazard? These questions remained unasked for the simple reason that I did not want to seem too interested or enthusiastic. Somewhere inside me, naïvely undoubtedly there was this feeling that I had found a lost sheep that had strayed from the fold , unseen by others, for my eyes only ………..No chance. One of the first of my fellow hunters had had no fewer than 13 bid retractions in the previous 6 months , another 6 another 3 and what about the one marked PRIVATE, the mafia? “ SHILLS”!! A voice inside cried “GO TO BED “another advised, to no avail of course. And so I waited …10 9, 8 a little sniper cross fire, keep calm …….and…… squeeze, I mean click, got you! And therein remains the question. Got what ? Well it was paypaled and posted at the speed of a retracted bid and it should be about next weekend that we shall know who was the hunter and who was the prey…………

October 24, 2014 at 6:08 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Yeah looks like a bit of a 'fuzzy photo gamble' on your part, Christopher. But like you said I've seen a lot worse eBay listing photos. :roll:

There's always plenty of 7A28-7040 / -7049's on eBay, in varying conditions. They were obviously a big seller in their day and still popular with collectors nowadays. Amusingly, I noticed that one of the losing bidders on the example you sniped was y***k ( private ). That's the other eBay ID (Kyiaye) which US-based profiteering re-seller WorldWide66 uses for buying.

Funnily enough, on Thursday, another new forum member PM'd me, asking my opinions about this other 7A28-7040:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/seiko-chronograph-sports-100-diver-7a28-military-/131323770574

In answer to his question: "About the 7A28-7040, what do you think it will get sold for?", I wrote back:

Your guess is as good as mine - it may be a decent example, but it's not particularly well listed (poor photos - not worldwide visible). Deserves to go over $300.

Made $310 - bumped there by another new eBay ID with a feedback of (1). :lol:

Hope your fuzzy photo gamble pays off and that the **Needs a new battery.** doesn't turn out to be any more than just that.  ;)

October 25, 2014 at 6:23 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Kristo

Hey Paul, my "fuzzy photo gamble" arrived yesterday and although all this watch stuff is new to me I think I can tell a good condition one from a bad without too much trouble, so I am delighted to say that I believe I bagged a "good un". I hope the photos are alright. The serial # on the back reads 2D0923 and its a -7049. I was so pleased when I saw the condition, too good to be true I thought, not a ding on it and the dial is perfect and the chrono functions 100%. Oops Im starting to gloat! I took it to my local watch guy to have a new battery installed (it wasn't working ) and when he opened it up there was already a battery in place. But but the wrong size; too big he said and that I was lucky the oversized battery hadn't  done any damage when the case back had been replaced. Funny really because the seller told me that it needed a new battery to make it work like he had seen it work, maybe he was selling it for someone else? I also asked the watch guy if he could service it and he replied sure he could but what for ? " its running like a charm ". Anyway he put in the right size battery and a new case gasket with silicone and said "nice watch, $20 please" :) So here are a few photos of my newly acquired little bit minty 7A28-7049. Thanks for a great site by the way. A real pleasure to read.

November 4, 2014 at 12:08 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Phil

Nice catch that man

November 4, 2014 at 1:04 PM Flag Quote & Reply

7ARCool

Nice Find, I bet you now have the 7Axx Bug!  :D

Is it my poor eyesight, or does the movement/dial need tweaking slightly to align correctly with the inner tachy ring?

November 4, 2014 at 1:41 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Kristo

Thank you very much gentlemen and I believe you may be right about the bug but hopefully only a mild case. No 7ARCool nothing wrong with your eyesight. Party pooper!

November 4, 2014 at 3:37 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Christopher. If you look carefully at the lower edge of the Tachymeter ring you'll see there are notches moulded into the underside of it, which are supposed to align with (and clear) the the ends of the lumed dial batons.

You can see shadows of them in your head-on photo, particularly between '400' and '160' where they're halfway across the batons. Your watch's Tachymeter ring needs re-aligning slightly (not the dial / movement).

November 4, 2014 at 3:47 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Kristo

How sharp trained eyes are. Yes I can see the misalignment. Carelessness when the glass was changed perhaps, because its blemish free. I'm afraid it will probably have to wait till the next oil change. I'm not confident enough to operate on it myself just yet, simple as it may be. Irksome though. In the meantime I might take a shot at a 7A38 panda if I think its the right one for me but no hurry because I'm wearing the one I wanted. Actually I thought vaguely about starting an eclectic electric collection so I'm sort of looking at early Accutrons but that is an entirly different subject for another forum .........

November 4, 2014 at 4:51 PM Flag Quote & Reply

7ARCool

Sorry Kristo, I was just pointing it out as the Tachy ring is quite flimsy and could deform, also the misalignment could damage the lume pips/markers on the dial if not seated correctly.

This is a simple fix and you should have no problem doing this yourself if you are careful.

Best of luck.  :D

November 4, 2014 at 5:35 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Christopher. Chris (7ARCool) is right - you need to get this minor issue sorted. Though I don't believe it's likely to cause any more damage to the lumed batons than it already may have done. If you look at the seller's 'fuzzy photos' (and they were all much of a similar quality, regarding clarity, the misalignment of the Tachymeter ring was there for all to see. Perhaps it was the misaligned rotating bezel which drew the eye away from it.

The '60' on the Tachymeter scale (and the small dot below it) should be aligned with the centre of the 12 o'clock double baton.

The fact that yours is misaligned isn't necessarily an indication that the crystal in your watch has been replaced at some point.

The Tachymeter ring in a 7A28-7040 / -7049 sits loosely on top of a small machined flange inside the watch case. The inner / lower (plain white unpainted plastic) part of it protrudes below that. The moulded pips engage cut-outs around the perimeter of the dial and should ensure correct aligment. A thin black painted metal dial ring sits on top of the Tachymeter ring. That is held in place by the crystal gasket (and the crystal). However the machining tolerances inside the watch case still allow the Tachymeter ring to 'float' and rotate freely. If you want to see more photos of some of the case components, check out this thread (my 8th post, halfway down page).

What your Tachymeter misalignment issue does indicate, is that at some point, someone has plopped the dial / movement out of the watch case - for whatever reason. While it was out, or during replacment of the dial / movement they disturbed the Tachymeter ring.

Easily done (if you're not careful) - and as Chris correctly states - very easily rectified. ;)

November 5, 2014 at 5:42 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Kristo

I can see that there will be no running away from this and as I mentioned I too find it somewhat irksome now it’s been so kindly pointed out so one way or another I shall have to rectify it. Also it never rains but pours it would seem. Whilst having a bash at trying to understand all the Chrono functions with the instruction manual I noticed that the Chrono minute counter wasn’t moving whilst the Chrono second and 1/10 second were doing what they do best when activated at the 2 o'clock start pusher, namely go round and round. When I push the stop pusher at 2 o'clock both Chrono second and 1/10 second stop as they should. When I push the reset to zero pusher at 5 o'clock both the second and 1/10 second reset to 12 o'clock. However it’s at this point that the minute Chrono counter sometimes springs into life and does a little sprint toward 12 o'clock, stopping usually around the 40 -45 min marker, in any case not always at the same spot and never reaching 12 o'clock.So far so clear? Now, when I pull the crown out to the first click I am able to reset all THREE Chrono counters manually by pushing their appropriate pushers. So it would seem that there is definitely power getting to the Chrono minute motor and when it is moving it is moving fluidly. I can almost hear the groans and mumblings: here’s another that’s got no understanding how to operate a simple chronograph. And they would be right.

As an aside and a little light relief I did find this little piece of info in the 7a28 manual:

News to me but old hat to others here I am sure. All of the above leads me to this. Tomorrow I am crossing the pond to Old Blighty and my little treasure is coming with me and there it will remain for a good while. Now (you could see this coming I’m sure) if there is someone out there that feels ready and ABLE to have a go to rectify these little problems and maybe a lube job and change of oil filter etc. at the same time please PM me. All dealings of course carried out in the utmost privacy. An overwhelming disinterest toward this invitation to tender will not be taken in offence but simply as a sign that you lot are less crazy then it sometimes would appear. Guvnor, I am sure that you will splice dice and otherwise dissect this little banter and replace the pieces in their respective places if you think necessary and I will learn from that. Thanks so much to all for your interest, now I really must pack!

November 5, 2014 at 6:42 PM Flag Quote & Reply

ba1970
Great story, Kristo. You took a "leap of faith" and with a stroke of luck, you benefitted highly. I, too just got one of those, but the pictures were clear .... 😀 and I knew the seller from another forum. As soon as I received it, I took it to a local watchmaker for a new battery and a pressure test. It failed the pressure test, so they changed the gaskets (chronograph pushers, case back and crown, and it pressure tested out to 10 bar. Can't complain. Enjoy yours, as I am enjoying mine.
--
Brandon
January 23, 2015 at 9:40 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.