Seiko 7A38 - by the numbers

Subtitle

Forums

Forum Home > eBay, LeBonCoin, Mercado Libre, Yahoo Japan, etc. > The most frequently abused / mis-used adjectives / keywords seen on eBay

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Being used to describe Seiko 7Axx's that is. ;)

Rare

Original

Authentic (or Genuine).

NOS (New Old Stock)

Mint (with 'almost')

Patina (or Wabi'd)

Stunning

Military

Giugiaro

James Bond

Mod. (or Modded / Unique / One of a kind)

Anybody else think of any I've missed ? :|

April 4, 2015 at 1:47 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

For the purposes of expanding on the above. ;)

Rare

Unless you're talking about the likes of the 7A28-7140 Bridgestone, 7A28-7160 Honda F1 or the 7A38-6070, 7A38-724A, etc. ....

Just keep looking on eBay or Yahoo Japan. Sooner or later you'll see see loads of them - like I did with the JDM 7A38-7110. :roll:

The term is also widely mis-used to describe some of the commonest 7Axx's you'll ever see, like the 7A38-7069, 7A38-7289, etc.

Original

A favourite term widely abused by Filipino watch-botchers - to deliberately deceive (lie) about the junk they're trying to sell.

It may be original Seiko (or not), but it does not necessarily mean that part is original or correct for that particular watch.

Authentic (or Genuine)

As per 'original'. Use of all three words is spreading - not just the Philippines.

NOS

Stands for 'New Old Stock' - a lure guaranteed to tempt any collector. It implies that the watch is in pristine original unworn condition.

Unfortunately, it often means a neglected watch that has been kicking around unsold in some jeweller's stock room for years on end.

Dusty, covered in handling marks, suffering from sticky old oil and sometimes even battery leakage. Of course, one would hope that it came with original boxes, correct hang tags, etc.. In reality it's whatever the seller can be bothered to scrape together. Most frequent abusers of the term NOS are Italian eBay sellers: Goffre78 / Valentinasex (Alberto Ulmi) and the Angeli_65 / Strega_68 pairing.

Yes sometimes they may turn up genuine NOS, but often what they offer clearly isn't. Don't think I need bother to cite examples.

Mint

Almost mint - apart from the horrendous slipped tool marks inflicted on the case-back by some incompetent changing the battery ....

and 15 years worth of concreted wrist cheese in the bracelet links. Some people's idea of 'mint' and my own are worlds apart. :(

Patina (or Wabi'd)

Frequently used to describe faded or moisture damaged dials - the classic being the white 7A38 710L dial - Oh and mouldy lume. :lol:

Wabi'd (a corruption of the Japanese expression Wabi Sabi) usually indicates a bezel insert that is scratched beyond redemption !

A classic example being this beaten-up 7A28-703B sold this evening by less-than-forthright Australian eBay seller seikoman35:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271828345584

Note also the use of Rare and All Orig(inal). This model isn't. The bracelet fitted was a p/n B1627S off a stainless 7A38-7280.

Stunning

A term used by the likes of eBay sellers: Beaner87Martinachertok, Timely_Classic and Yeti.watches (to name but a few).

Usually means that it's in incredibly poor condition - you'll be stunned that they have the nerve to share close-up photos ! :lol:

Military

In terms of Seiko 7Axx's it should only be used when listing a 7A28-7120 RAF Gen. 1 or SAAF issued 7A28-7040 / 7A38-7070.

One of my pet hates - there's a separate thread about it: http://www.seiko7a38.com/apps/forums/topics/show/8929399 

It's frequently mis-used to describe virtually anything in stainless with a black dial, but even completely irrelevant dross like this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201313243809

(That listing title originally began Stunning Rare, but the seller had to delete 'Stunning', so he could add 'James Bond').

James Bond

James Bond (Roger Moore in 'A view to a kill') only ever wore one Seiko 7Axx - the stainless white-dialed 7A28-7020 SPR007J.

Again, we have a separate light-hearted thread about them: http://www.seiko7a38.com/apps/forums/topics/show/7334154 

However, you'll frequently come across other stainless white-dialed 7Axx's, for example: the 7A38-7190 and 7A38-7280/9 and other similarly cased 7A28-702x's, such as the gold-tone 7A28-7029 and two-tone 7A28-7020 being given the James Bond treatment.

Oh, Yes - and sometimes you'll see completely irrelevant dross like that recent two-tone 7A38-7190 (see 'Military' above). 

Giugiaro

A favourite one for Italian eBay sellers.

Giorgetto Giugiaro designed the 7A28-5000 'Steering Wheel'; 7A28-6000 'Bishop; 7A28-7000/9 'Aliens'; 7A28-7A00 and 7A28-7050.

Full stop. However, you'll frequently see Italian eBay sellers mis-using the 'Giugiaro' keyword on (almost every listing) for 7A38-7140, 

7A38-704A/B/C / 7A38-7040 or whatever 7Axx they happen to be flogging. I've even come across 'Giugiaro' 7A48's on occasion. :roll:

To be continued .... 

April 4, 2015 at 1:48 PM Flag Quote & Reply

PHK

My favorite from our Philippine Watch Bodgers… "Just received $xxx service…AT NO COST TO YOU!"

Drives me up a wall every time I see that, along with STUNNING :mad:

--

Paul in Vegas.  8)

April 4, 2015 at 3:25 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

That's more than one word, Paul ! :P But thanks for the input ! ;) Glad to hear this kind of bnllsh!t gets up somebody else's nose. :mad:

But if we're going to get into most-hated phrases (used by Filipino watch-botchers) as well, mine is Bid with Confidence !

Which we all know in truth (to anyone with a modicum of common sense) really means ....

April 4, 2015 at 3:29 PM Flag Quote & Reply

donwatch

How about "Scarce" or "looks like a "Rolex".  Just to hook the search engine..This is not a Rolex but..... :lol:

April 4, 2015 at 5:05 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

You lost me there, Don. :/ Or are you referring to this guy ? :P

April 4, 2015 at 7:47 PM Flag Quote & Reply

donwatch

Oh - No not that guy :roll:

April 4, 2015 at 9:40 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Don't think I've ever actually seen the word 'Rolex' used for Keyword Spamming a Seiko 7Axx yet, Don. But I'll keep my eyes peeled. :P

Edit: Nearly forgot - I did see it used once, in the description of a Loris Azzaro H900 listed on LeBonCoin way back in April 2011

See this thread - and hence my choice of topic title on the RLT watch forum:  If Rolex made a 7A38 .....

April 5, 2015 at 7:16 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.