Seiko 7A38 - by the numbers

Forums

Forum Home > 7A38-xxxx Model Specific Area > 7A38-7070 SAA031J - Stainless 'Diver' (Silver Anodized) - includes 7A38-7075 ZFM

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

In the early hours of this morning, a Mexican eBay seller vintagemexicollectables (whose last offering featured on the previous page of this thread) listed what purports to be a 7A38-7070 'head only' with an opening bid price of $0.99 cents.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/142447538507

It doesn't take a particularly close examination of the seller's photos to detemine that this was once in fact a 7A38-7080, that has been stripped of its black chrome coating. There's still plenty of evidence of that - in the bezel and crown knurling, around the pusher cups and in the lug boxes. Of course the case-back stampings give the game away:

This mess doesn't really belong in this thread - more rightfully in this aptly titled thread in the eBay section, where I'll write it up in more detail presently. Just thought I'd mention it here, in case any readers wondered why I'd omitted to. You could hardly miss it. :roll:

July 17, 2017 at 7:10 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

I suppose as I did mention it here, I should also update this thread. That Mexican eBay auction for the badly stripped 7A38-7080 (mis-represented as a 7A38-7070) ended in the early hours of this morning, selling for $168.50 after 36 bids. Makes me wonder if those 7 bidders realized what they were actually bidding on. :/ One of them placed 16 of those 36 bids and another bidder 10. As it turned out, they were both out-sniped by mystery bidder n***e who seems to revel in collecting these kind of poorer specimens. :roll:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/142447538507

July 24, 2017 at 6:18 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

This 7A38-7070 was listed earlier this evening by a German eBay seller, with an opening bid price of 149 Euros or a Buy-it-Now option for 329 Euros. It might actually be a half-decent example, in which case neither figure would be out of the question. However, that only applies if you're not averse to a 'fuzzy photo gamble'. :/ I don't think I've seen a worse set of supposedly high resolution photos in a very long time. Not one of the 12 is in focus. I really don't know why I bothered to upload them. :roll:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/253064327428

SEIKO SPORTS 100 CHRONOGRAPH / Day Date - DREHBARE LYNETTE -( LINKSDREHEND ) FUNKTION Über TAGE GEPRÜFT.../ ( DRÜCKER Voll FUNKTIONSF./ JEDOCH JUSTIERT SICH DER ZEIGER / NICHT AUF PUNKT 12 ZURÜCK /- SONDERN STEHTS AUF / 1. SEKUNDE NACH 12 UHR ! SIEHE BILDER , ANSONSTEN JEDOCH VOLL FUNKTIONSFÄHIG /- GANGGENAUIGKEIT ÜBER TAGE UNTER BEOBACHTUNG /-OHNE PROBLEM /- MINERALGLAS ZWISCHEN 12 & 1 UHR / 5mm Kleiner KRATZER /- ANSONSTEN GESAMMTZUSTAND OK - EVENT. BAND AUFPOLIEREN...(FEINSTE KRATZER) - FERTIG. / ZUST. 2- ( WERTBESTÄNDIGE / VON ZEIT ZU ZEIT WERTSTEIGERNDE / SELTEN GEWORDENE UHR /- ORIG. SEIKO EDELSTAHL GLIEDERBAND MIT SEIKO LOGO AM VERSCHLUSS /- VERSCHRAUBTER EDELSTAHLBODEN MIT SEIKO LOGO MODELL NR. 7A38-7070 BODEN SELBSTABHOLUNG - PRIVATVERKAUF / KEINE GARANTIE - KEINE RÜCKNAHME !

This apparently incompetent would-be seller also seems to have a problem with his CAPS LOCK key. :roll:

July 26, 2017 at 4:27 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.