Seiko 7A38 - by the numbers

Forums

Forum Home > eBay, LeBonCoin, Mercado Libre, Yahoo Japan, etc. > Sticky: The purpose of this section is ....

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Many of you will, at some time or other, have read the seemingly never-ending thread which I started in the Japanese section of the UK RLT watch forum, back in April 2010, entitled 'Heads Up On Yet Another 7A38 Franken'. Some 200+ posts and 21,400 views later, it still appears to be attracting readers, even though it hasn't been updated in the three weeks since I left RLT on 7th January. I will say right now, that I have absolutely NO intention of picking up where I left off. If somebody else wants to start and maintain such a thread, and has sufficient knowledge to do so, then please - be my guest. :P

Instead, I will be concentrating on producing a retrospective monthly commentary on online sales, eBay, Yahoo Japan, etc., very much in the style of the late-lamented GMT+9, but obviously only covering 7Axx's. This will be published in either the News or Blog sections - I haven't quite made my mind up yet, but January 2012's edition is almost complete (pre-prepared in a Word doc) - I'm just waiting for a couple of eBay auctions to finish, and for the end of the month. ;)

No, this section is for is YOU. If there's a 7A38 that looks a little suspect, that you're genuinely considering having a punt at, but are not 100% sure if the eBay seller's description is entirely accurate, or honest - ask away - and as usual, I'll give you my frank(en) opinion. It's also somewhere where we can have a chuckle amongst ourselves about some of the crazy prices on eBay lately. :roll:

I personally don't have a problem with anyone including links to live eBay / LeBonCoin / Yahoo Japan listings, when posting a topic for the above mentioned (valid) reasons. However, PLEASE, instead of copying and pasting those mega-long URL's straight from eBay, can we please TRY TO KEEP THEM SHORT. All you need to copy and paste or type is, for example: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12345678910 (note itm, not item - and that's a duff link). :D By all means, use whatever eBay domain they may have come from (besides .co.uk) - .com .fr .de whatever - but that IS all you need for an eBay link to work. Trust me.  8)

This section is NOT the place to mockingly point out any badly titled / described or poorly photographed current eBay listings that some of the other members may be interested in - at least not until those auctions have ended. We can discuss them then.

Lastly, this is also NOT the place to give a free plug to any of your own eBay listings - even if they are for 7Axx's. Clear enough ? :)

January 27, 2012 at 7:15 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Post Moved

Originally posted (as a replacement topic of the same name) by Seiko7A38 on March 10, 2014 at 9:31 AM

Hmm. I seem to have somehow accidentally deleted the original sticky topic (of the same title) which headed up this section.

http://www.seiko7a38.com/apps/forums/topics/update/7156720-the-purpose-of-this-section-is-?forum_id=6600688

Can't remember the exact wording now (it's been two years and more since I wrote it), but the general gist went something like:

Although eBay is still undoubtedly the best place to find Seiko 7Axx's, for the newbie / would-be owner it's something of a minefield.

There are many watches deliberately misleadingly described; speculatively over-priced to catch out the unwary 'mug punter', etc., etc.

So if you're in any doubt - this is the place to ask. I personally don't have a problem with people posting links to current auctions. ;)

March 10, 2014 at 7:08 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Aragatz
Administrator

Having said that ....

Since this forum section was started, 'The Boss' has been somewhat pro-active (spending far too much time posting here) ....

Rightly or wrongly, this is the most trafficked forum section - intended to serve as a warning for both members and visitors alike.

There are currently nearly 4 full pages of topics flagging just about every 'wrong un' that has appeared on eBay over the last 2 years,

including threads detailing the dodgy tactics employed by some of the less-than-scrupulous eBay sellers in their efforts to sell them.

By all means, feel free to start a new topic, but if the watch or eBay seller in question has already been mentioned in another thread,

please do not be surprised nor feel aggrieved if your post is subsequently moved and added onto the relevant pre-existing topic. ;)

One last thing. If you do start a new topic in this section, please try to give some thought to the title you give it.

Things like: Just seen this on the ebay, Is this a good price? and No bids becomes one bid (to give but a couple of examples)

really are no help (at all) to other readers who may be looking for the exactly the same answers as yourself. Otherwise, if the content of your new thread is left as written, you may well find that the topic title gets amended, so as to serve as a better pointer for others.

Thank you for your understanding. The Management. 

March 10, 2014 at 7:13 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Doh. Obviously suffering from Brane Fade this morning. 

My excuse: this is the problem with being logged into the forum 3 times, with three different Admin / Moderator level logon ID's. 

What I'd actually done - was (intending to temporarily unlock this topic for editing), I'd accidentally untoggled the 'sticky' icon.

So I hadn't deleted the thread (at all), nor had it disappeared (completely).

It had simply dropped from being at the top of this first page to the very bottom of the current (last) fourth page. :roll:

Just goes to show, if you bother to look beyond the first page of a forum section, you may well find what you're looking for. ;)

Hopefully Status Quo is now restored (complete with the errant additional posts). :)

March 10, 2014 at 7:24 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Aragatz
Administrator

Looks good to me, Boss. 

Now stop talking to yourself, get back logged back in and get on with some work ! :P

PS - Hopefully these few additional posts might draw the attention of more readers (people who should have read it). Who knows ? :/

March 10, 2014 at 7:34 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

O.K. But I will have the last word. :P

Reading back through my original post of 28th January 2012 (first time in a long while for me), this part, the second paragraph:

Instead, I will be concentrating on producing a retrospective monthly commentary on online sales, eBay, Yahoo Japan, etc., very much in the style of the late-lamented GMT+9, but obviously only covering 7Axx's. This will be published in either the News or Blog sections - I haven't quite made my mind up yet, but January 2012's edition is almost complete (pre-prepared in a Word doc) - I'm just waiting for a couple of eBay auctions to finish, and for the end of the month. ;)

.... Obviously fell by the wayside after the first month. :(

March 10, 2014 at 8:09 AM Flag Quote & Reply

This topic is closed, no additional posts are allowed.