Seiko 7A38 - by the numbers

Forums

Forum Home > 7Axx General Discussion Area > Sticky: The ONE and ONLY WRUW thread ....

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Orient J39601-70 beater for me today.

May 6, 2014 at 9:00 AM Flag Quote & Reply

donwatch

A flashy  "franken" made with a NOS 7A34-7019 Sample case and band + movement from a 7A38-7280 :roll:  Maybe the way Seiko should have made it in the first place - with legible date window.  :/

May 6, 2014 at 11:01 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

I bought this gold-tone 7A38-7060 SAA018J nearly 5 years ago. It's in pretty decent overall condition, with only the slightest of rubbing wear to the edge of the gold plating on the bezel, but it's taken a polish all over and looks a little too shiny, so I don't wear it very often.

I got it out of my collection box a bit sharpish earlier today, to examine and re-evaluate its condition, when I saw a UK seller had listed not one but two NOS examples on eBay this morning. After some lengthy deliberation, I hit the Buy-it-Now button on one of them. :)

May 7, 2014 at 8:42 AM Flag Quote & Reply

donwatch

I had to wear this Seiko 7a38-7280 today after learning of forum member Mike Kelley's passing. :( I bought this watch a few weeks ago not knowing who once owned it. Now I know it was Mike's. RIP Mike.

May 8, 2014 at 5:05 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Arpie

I'm wearing my Yema Spationaute III today as a condolence of forum member Mike Kelley's passing. Without his enormous help I would not be able to have this timepiece now. His help was genuine and sincere, a real pleasure to communicate with him.

I still have Mike's greeting message which arrived with the watch in the same box.

RIP Mike.

May 9, 2014 at 4:08 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Today I'm wearing my 7A38-7069 SAA028J - again a watch I don't wear very often, to try to keep it in it's virtually new condition.

I'm posting this wrist shot for two reasons, the first is funny - to the point of hilarity; :D the second is with a tinge of sadness. :(

I bought this watch off eBay in August 2009. From memory I paid $150 for it. It was in extremely well cared for, cherished 'as new' condition, having been worn sparingly by the previous owner. It came complete with boxes, tags and manuals - and a flat battery ! So it was something of a lucky gamble when I unscrewed the pristine case-back to find the original 25 year old Seiko battery hadn't leaked.

These watches are a relatively common sight on eBay in the States - they were a designated US market model (hence the '9' suffix). You can pick them up for anything from $50 - $200 (max) - junkers and parts watches for even less. Which is where the funny part comes in. Some of you may have read the never-ending thread that is the sorry saga of manic re-listing eBay seller Martinachertok and her attempts to sell her grossly over-priced 7A38's. It's currently on page 13. In the latest revision of her 83rd re-listing for her tatty D-I-Y repair 7A38-7069, which she herself paid only $41 in April 2013, almost a year to the day - as a 'parts watch', she has overnight increased the Buy-it-Now price to a (current) record for stupidity of  $895 !! :o

The other rather sadder reason I'm posting this is in remembrance of forum member Mike Kelley, who passed away in January. I don't own any of the watches from Mike's collection, nor am I likely to. Mike's 7A38-7069 was sold on eBay last month by a consignment seller. I didn't realize who it had belonged to, at the time the auction was current. Nor do I recognise the winning eBay ID. However, what I do remember is helping Mike find the watch on eBay and him posting a couple of shots of it, on Page 15 of this WRUW thread.

I have written an obituary for Mike Kelley here in the Members Lounge section. Unless you're actually posting a wrist shot, dedicated to his memory, please write your condolences there, rather than in this thread. Thanks in advance for your cooperation.

May 9, 2014 at 8:35 AM Flag Quote & Reply

gufi

Today it´s my 7A28-701A. Besides the 7A38-701A my favourite of the 7Axx-series. (No experiments today, just a normal wristshot. ;) )

May 9, 2014 at 5:04 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Sir Alan

Here's my latest franken:

this came about today because:

1 - the previous incarnation of this franken had a really weird issue with timekeeping which rendered it unwearable.

2 - having ruined the case of my 7A38-704C I decided to re-use the hands

3 - I was bored

building this took a lot longer than I'd thought because each movement I tried had an issue

1 - the first wouldn't keep time (in fact the main chrono hand wouldn't complete a full revolution, stopping short each time). When running it lost time at a rate of knots.

2 - the second looked good but when setting the hands there was an odd clicky feel. When running it lost time (maybe a minute every hour)

3 - the third wouldn't run (but again was very clean).

Not to be beaten I made the best from the three. ;)

May 10, 2014 at 2:30 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Well, as nobody else has posted in the WRUW thread for nearly a week - since Simon's last post (and Don's not around at present) nobody can accuse me of 'One-upmanship'. :P So here it is finally - on my wrist; rather later than I'd originally planned: my JDM 7A38-7110. :D

With typical reflections from the domed crystal:

Slightly better, with a bit of unnatural angling of the wrist, trying to avoid the reflections ....

.... and how I managed to get it on my wrist:

May 17, 2014 at 10:22 AM Flag Quote & Reply

donwatch

I'm back home from Alaska and found the Yema Spationaute lll had arrived. :D

May 19, 2014 at 2:41 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

I take it the grin means you're pleased, then Don ? :P

Welcome belatedly to La Vie en Bleu club. My recently acquired bargain-priced Yema Spationaute III 'cadran drapeaux' says 'Allo. :)

May 20, 2014 at 7:20 AM Flag Quote & Reply

donwatch

This is a "Franken" made up from a Orient J38 dial and hands that have been placed into a Seiko 7a34 "NOS Sample" case.  I must say I like it. :D  Also the case back form the Orient J38 fits right on the 7a34 Seiko case. :P

May 20, 2014 at 6:27 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Nah. Think you'd be better off putting it back where it belongs, Don - but on a nice quality leather strap, to counter the bling factor. 8)

After our lengthy PM discussions last night, I got my Orient J39909-80 (the '7A38 equivalent' of your J38909-80) out this morning:

No more conclusive proof, as yet, but I'm still convinced this is a (gold-plated) metal-skinned injection-molded resin watch case. :P

Have another look at your J38's case. Ask yourself: Why is the bezel molded in one piece with the case and the crystal glued in ? ;)

May 21, 2014 at 6:15 AM Flag Quote & Reply

donwatch

Paul , my Orient J38909-80 is back in it's case :D in all it's Glory 8)

Maybe these are injection-molded "Metallic" resin watch cases. :P

May 22, 2014 at 12:38 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Looks much better like that, too Don - nice strap choice. ;) Is that a pukka 19mm fitment or a 20mm squeezed ? :|

May 22, 2014 at 1:03 PM Flag Quote & Reply

donwatch

Paul, it is an 18mm  Speidel Germany- Waterproof  I had kicking around.  I bought it in the early 1990's and never used it 8)

May 22, 2014 at 1:13 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Just trying on my newest incoming Seiko 7A38, after a bit of cleaning and general fettling this morning - a 7A38-724A SAA086J. :)

May 25, 2014 at 8:50 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

It's a public holiday in England today, so typically it's overcast and spitting with rain. :roll: I don't care, because thanks once again to Fabio's valuable assistance, I'm wearing a little bit of Italian sunshine on my wrist. 8) I'm still not 100% certain whether this is a genuinely rare previously unseen gold-tone Italian market version of the 7A38-706B (it's not documented on Seiko's database - but then neither are my two gold-tone 7A38-706A's) - or a Franken, but I'm very pleased with it. :)

In this photo, you can see what I meant, where I wrote about the edges of the 708L dial's batons appearing to be gold in this thread.

I haven't yet decided on a final choice of strap for it - black or tan - though I'm leaning more towards black. :/

So for now it's on both - a Taikonaute 20mm antique 'Frog Grain' quick-change strap, borrowed from one of my 7A38-706A's. 

May 26, 2014 at 8:50 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Arpie

What else should I wear today other than my favourite (currently) 7A36-7000?

Apparently this is the gem in my collection. :P

May 29, 2014 at 8:55 AM Flag Quote & Reply

fmc000

Seiko7A38 at May 26, 2014 at 8:50 AM

It's a public holiday in England today, so typically it's overcast and spitting with rain. :roll:

I don't care, because thanks once again to Fabio's valuable assistance, I'm wearing a little bit of Italian sunshine on my wrist. 8)

I'm still not 100% certain whether this is a genuinely rare previously unseen gold-tone Italian market version of the 7A38-706B (it's not documented on Seiko's database - but then neither are my two gold-tone 7A38-706A's) - or a Franken, but I'm very pleased with it. :)

In this photo, you can see what I meant, where I wrote about the edges of the 708L dial's batons appearing to be gold in this thread.

I haven't yet decided on a final choice of strap for it - black or tan - though I'm leaning more towards black. :/

So for now it's on both - a Taikonaute 20mm antique 'Frog Grain' quick-change strap, borrowed from one of my 7A38-706A's. 

Well, glad you had everything sorted out! It looks really good and that strap is just perfect. Enjoy it.

--

My Seiko chronos: SPV002 - SDX008J1 - SFA005J1 - PSZ006P1

May 29, 2014 at 10:44 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.