Seiko 7A38 - by the numbers

Subtitle

Forums

Forum Home > 7Axx General Discussion Area > Sticky: The ONE and ONLY WRUW thread ....

Sir Alan

This isn't actually me, but there's a small story to this that I've been waiting for an opportunity to mention.

Well over a year ago, I returned from holiday to find my son had taken a fancy to this watch and started wearing it. Rather than being a grumpy old dad, I surprised myself and him by saying if he really liked the watch then he could have it as a gift from me.

He had well over 150 watches to choose from and he picked this one :P

We only see each other every few months so I took the opportunity this time to grab a quick wrist shot (this was in Cafe Nero at Euston station last night).

I think we're both tickled pink with the watch and I'm the proudest dad there could be. 8)
September 27, 2014 at 10:16 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

A comparatively diminutive 7A38 today - one that sadly gets little wrist time, on account of its small size. :( My 7A38-7090 SAA035J.

September 28, 2014 at 9:42 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Rogus

First 7A28 - refurbed thanks to the knowledge on this forum. New correct Seiko crystal fitted - thanks to Paul for spotting there was one available at Cousins. Bit of a dodgy photo but not too bad as a before-leaving-the-house-for-work effort.

September 28, 2014 at 4:05 PM Flag Quote & Reply

donwatch

Rogus, nice black one.  :)  Funny, I was going to post my 7A28-7079 this morning, but a friend called and we went on a motorcycle ride for  a couple of hours. So here is mine, I don't wear it much because it still has the blue film and inspection sticker on the back. 8)

September 28, 2014 at 7:58 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

While I'm in Franken-building mode I thought I'd wear one. :P

From memory, this was the first 7A38 Franken I ever built. It didn't really start off with any kind of plan in mind, it sort of just evolved - as the original stainless 7A38-7270 was robbed of one part or another. The bracelet is a NOS Seiko p/n Z337S (normally found on a 8223-704B). The black chrome bezel is again a NOS part, which I remember as being one of the first items I ever bought from Cousins UK - normally used on the 7A38-7290 / -7295. The hour and minute hands are the 'polished edge' type from a 7A38-7070 and the orangey-red sweep and seconds hands are again NOS parts (courtesy of Seiko Oz), normally used on a 7A38-7140. Bit of a 'Bitza'. :lol:

Couldn't decide between these two photos; ones a shade over-lit; the other dark and moody, so here's both of them:

September 29, 2014 at 11:01 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Bit of an oddball today and something of a rarity (say compared to its SAA044J Titanium sibling). My stainless 7A38-7120 SAA091J.

PS - Excuse the odd bits of lint and dust - couldn't find my puffer. :roll:

September 30, 2014 at 9:19 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

So, after a self-imposed month of posting only Seiko 7A38's I'm going to backslide to my old ways. Back to the other stuff. :P

My recently acquired NOS Orient J39701-70 - still in need of a good clean (why I got it out) and the sweep hand re-aligning:

October 1, 2014 at 6:46 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Seiko7A38 at September 25, 2014 at 9:05 AM

Wearing this self-built Franken 'Grey Panda' today, loosely based on a two-tone 7A38-7020 with 'cut and shut' split 703L dial plates.

It never hurts to revisit an old friend - even if it's only to cadge something off them and grind them down a bit. :P

The main reason I'd got that 'split dial' Franken out last week was because I was considering robbing it of the two-tone p/n Z1005C bracelet to use on my current Franken Fred Force 10 project. When I compared the two of them, I noticed how much better job I'd done of stripping the worn gold plating off that bezel. This was partly due to the fact that I'd started off with a better case and bezel. The gold plating was certainly well worn, but there wasn't a single ding in the bezel, so it needed less material grinding away to get a decent finish. I'd also left the Fred project's bezel in a semi-matt machined finish (only polishing the 12 sides) and thought it looked better for it. Whereas with this 'split dial' Franken's bezel I'd gone for the full-on over-polished look (in the best Filipino watch-botcher tradition). In fact, if you look at this photo I took last year, I hadn't actually done that good a job of stripping all the old gold plating off the bezel. You can still see traces of it between the dummy rivets near 2 o'clock.
So this morning, to make amends, I popped the bezel off and gave it a very light rotary skim with 400 grade Wet and Dry. 

I've also fitted it with the correct original p/n B1171C bracelet for a two-tone 7A38-7020, which came off the Franken Fred's donor - although that kinda goes against my personal Franken ethos. Frankens in theory should always be fitted with the wrong bracelet.

Trouble is, in doing so, I've possibly made it more closely resemble the original SpeedTimerKollection Franken which inspired it. :/
Or perhaps not !! :roll: :lol:

October 2, 2014 at 8:55 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Here's the second of my recently purchased NOS Orient J39 Divers (taken after I'd given this one a cursory clean to remove 25 years of grubby fingerprints and shelf dust). As I wrote in the other thread, this one's colour combination is something of an acquired taste: the gunmetal / gold two-tone case and bracelet finish is distinctly 1980's; although the dial colour may look a bit sickly in this photo, that metallic champagne colour is gorgeous when it catches the light. For 59 Euros, I'm not complaining. :D My Orient J39601-70:

October 3, 2014 at 8:50 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Because they're my favourite non-Seiko 7A38's and it's Saturday. Yema Spationaute III Aragatz N80P76 'cadran drapeaux'.  

October 4, 2014 at 9:44 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Because even the really scabby ones deserve an occasional outing. :P My battered beater RACER TEAM COLLECTION J39026-70 ....

Probably quite an attractive looking watch in its day - in a Breitbling sort of way. :/

October 5, 2014 at 8:51 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Another J39 beater which shares the same set of 'parts bin' sub-dials hands, but fortunately isn't in quite such bad condition.

One I'd also dearly like to find a better example of, but as it's the only one I've ever seen, I guess it'll have to suffice for now. :/

My Orient J39725-70 fitted with 'Feiko' 20mm after-market bracelet. It doesn't look any better which ever angle you shoot it from. :roll:

October 8, 2014 at 9:01 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

So what happened to all the other regular posters ? :|

Thinking about changing the title of this topic to: The ONE and ONLY WAIW (what am I wearing) thread .... :roll:

Another beater today - my 7A38-704C, cunningly disguised (badly faded and by dint of one yellow pusher) to look a bit like a -704B.

October 9, 2014 at 8:58 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Coming today, for one day only,  to a WRUW thread near you - ready or not .... it's  Franken FRED Force 10 FREday ! 

Assuming the forum stays up for 5 minutes, an explanation of this 'silliness' will follow in the Franken Fred build thread presently. ;)

October 10, 2014 at 5:10 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Something topical. :P A very Q&D wrist shot of my non-military issued, distinctly civilian 7A38-701B 'Vulcan' SAA005J.

October 11, 2014 at 9:13 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Another yellow-dialed 7A38, topical too, in the light of prices they're going for recently. My almost NOS condition 7A38-7140 SAA051J.

Before anyone comments - No I haven't lost any black chrome / paint off the crown. Probably just dead skin where I quickset the date. 

October 12, 2014 at 9:27 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

With there having been so many of these listed on eBay (in the States) recently, it prompted me to get mine out and give it an airing ....

The common-or-garden US market 7A38-7069 SAA028J.

October 15, 2014 at 8:52 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

As nobody else seems to be bothering anymore, I make no apologies for the poor quality of this grainy Q&D wrist shot (taken indoors). Saturday to me means a Spationaute III - but today, a smaller one for a change - one of my 38mm 'reduced' model # N80A66 beaters.

October 18, 2014 at 9:23 AM Flag Quote & Reply

donwatch

A late in the day post. My one and only Yema Spationaute III.  :D  It's a blue blue Sunday.  8)

October 19, 2014 at 9:50 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Second string (picked up off eBay France last September for 40 Quid, in need of some TLC) stainless 7A38-7000 SAA007J today. :)

October 20, 2014 at 8:55 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.