Seiko 7A38 - by the numbers

Subtitle

Forums

Forum Home > 7Axx General Discussion Area > Show and Tell - Your newest incoming 7A

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

By all means, if you're really chuffed with your latest 7Axx arrival, start your own thread.

Or if you prefer, please feel free to add a reply to this thead, telling us all about it. ;)

January 28, 2012 at 8:49 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Sir Alan

It's this:

which arrived today.

This is my second 7A38. It's really early days for me on this, so the multitude of variants don't exactly roll off my fingers/keyboard. But I guess you all know that it's a:

7A38-7270

with a 79xxxx serial number. Does this mean a 1987 manufacturing year?

I would say that this is unworn (does it make it NOS?) - there don't appear to be any wear marks, scuffs, scratches - nothing. It's even got the small oval sticker on the back (QA sticker?).

Boy did I get lucky :D

The hands line up perfectly on reset and hit the marks spot on.

Very happy.

February 15, 2012 at 5:36 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Oh No .... Not another stainless 7A38-7270 SAA093J  

But seriously, Simon .... That looks a very nice one indeed ! 

Yes, the 79xxxx serial number gives it a production date of September 1987 - yours was the 75th down the line that month. ;)

February 15, 2012 at 5:43 PM Flag Quote & Reply

6309 7049

Beautiful 7A38.

February 15, 2012 at 5:52 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Arpie

Although I have received couple of weeks ago I can say this is my latest 7A38.

It's a 7A38-7190 from 1987 september. In very good condition, quality pass sticker is still on the case back, there is no scratch on crystal, dial is excellent. The negativ thing was the braclet is not long enough, one link is missing therefore I had to buy a clasp extension...so now it's ready to use. Otherwise there is an issue with the day wheel turnover. For some reason the day wheel, the hour &minute hands are stock at 1:22am. After I set it up manually it goes without any problem and then stops at 1:22am again. :mad: I need to disassemble at least the day-date wheel arrangement but at the moment I am not brave enough to do that :D

March 6, 2012 at 6:28 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

And I know exactly which eBay auction you got that from, Arpad. ;) You did out-snipe me, in the last two seconds, to win it, after all. :P

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/250981298411 The seller did clearly state in his description:

This watch is in good overall condition cosmetically but does not run so would need some attention.

So really, you're quite fortunate that the watch is as functional as it actually is. I was only planning to break it up for parts myself.  

March 6, 2012 at 6:54 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Arpie

Haha :D The word snipe is a bit strong I would rather say I`ve put the right bid at the right time :D:D

Yeah, I read the description, so I was aware about the mechanical condition. But be frank if you believed everything what the seller states about the watch none of us would dare to bid. It`s a risk and we have to jeopardize sometimes.

I must say I was always lucky with SEIKOs (and other watches from ebay) so far. For example I bought my 8222-7000 on carboot sale, it was in very bad condition but I knew if I put the new battery in it would work. And I put the battery and it fired up straight away. Why? Because it`s Seiko, because this is a quality, there is pure engineering inside the watchcase, because you can see the Japanese precisity...etc. The same applies for the 7T32 I wrote the story down in the relevant topic. So I thought this logic could be applicable for 7A38-7190. Honestly we all know that couple of sellers have no idea about the watches (which is great for us) and they tend to describe the watch as spares & repair even there is no battery in or it`s run out of power. Hence I took the risk and I put my bid :)

Break this lovely watch into parts, Paul?? :P

No,nooo....there is a good place on my wrist.....lets just say I rescued this 7A38 from "death" :D

March 7, 2012 at 4:08 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

What I meant to say, Arpad, was that I was going to 're-distribute' some of the parts, between some of my 7A38-727x's which use the same watch case. Looks like you've got yourself a cosmetically very nice example there - with great potential. I might even be able to sort out a couple of spare bracelet links for you. ;)

March 7, 2012 at 4:18 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Arpie

Wow, I would extremely be grateful for that! :)

March 7, 2012 at 4:30 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Sir Alan

My newest ........ that would be this - a 7A38-7180 in black:

which even before it arrived,  Paul had pointed out that it didn't look 'quite' right - with the gold inner ring above the tachymeter ring.

I hadn't spotted this - having just assumed this was the way it was meant to be - picking up those gold highlights 8)

This picture tries to show this ring a bit better:

Well, once Paul had pointed this anomaly out, and the watch had arrived I just had to see what this gold ring actually was. Popping the crystal out revealled that it was a transfer, applied to the underside of the crystal.

I did consider removing the transfer, but instead ordered a Sternkreuz MSM 310 crystal, which after it arived today I fitted. And here is the watch almost back to how it should be (but still missing the gold inserts in the bracelet):

and

and here showing the excellent condition the bracelet is in:

It's a nice 'stealth' watch ;)

March 8, 2012 at 5:19 PM Flag Quote & Reply

jair1970

I'd be pretty happy with the way that's turned out if I were you :)

March 8, 2012 at 5:24 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Simon.

If you want to re-instate the missing gold ornaments on the bracelet, check out Cousins jewellery department.

I bet they've got the correct gauge gold-plated wire which you could bend to shape. If not plenty others have it.

Here's one online supplier I turned up in a very quick google search: http://www.parawire.com/goldwire.shtml

March 8, 2012 at 8:41 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Not strictly a Seiko 7A, but a thinly disguised 7A38 - a.k.a. Ferrari Cal. 531 - in the form of a Cartier Ferrari Formula chrono ....

which arrived yesterday morning by RMSD, having followed a somewhat tortuous route and a couple of subsequent re-mailings:

With special thanks to Simon (and his German colleague, Michael) for helping to extricate it from an intransigent German eBay seller.

March 11, 2012 at 8:08 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Sir Alan

Wow - it was worth it.  Fantastic condition. 

March 11, 2012 at 8:34 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Sir Alan at March 11, 2012 at 8:34 AM

Wow - it was worth it.  Fantastic condition. 

Indeed it was, Simon - FAR better than it looked in one or two of the eBay seller's listing photos - it's almost like new. :)

The only small problem with it is that one of the strap keepers (the floating one) is starting to come unglued, which was just visible:

Although possibly not the most desirable, and certainly a slightly unusal variant of the Cartier Ferrari Formula chrono' ....

this one is a bit special to me. Not only for your help, but because it's one of the pukka incarnations of my Franken Ferrari 7A38:

Funny, never having seen one before, how I'd chosen to use the main hand set I did, and the similar 7A38-7060 Tachymeter ring. The main difference between my Franken and the genuine article was my choice of red sub-dial hands, which were slightly too long for the painted sub-dial rings. As you can see, the original watch used slightly shorter dark grey sub-dial hands. I still think I prefer mine. ;)

March 11, 2012 at 8:51 AM Flag Quote & Reply

JSS

Nice one Paul.  Ferrari and Seiko all in one - you must be in seventh heaven.  I have to say I really like your version as well though.  With that red strap it looks more Ferrari than the original. ;)

March 11, 2012 at 6:45 PM Flag Quote & Reply

dutchsiberia

My only 7a38 so far :)

It has a black coating, a bit worn on the edges, but it only makes the watch look nicer in my opinion.

The crystal has scratches too, i'm reluctant to replace it, afraid to damage the coating during removal of the bezel.

Not the original bracelet, I'm hoping to find a worn black bracelet some time to complement the watch A new one wouldn't look nice.

March 14, 2012 at 8:43 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Welcome aboard, Martijn. :)

Your only 7A38 ? I'm sure more will soon follow, once you've caught the bug like the rest of us. :D

I wouldn't worry too much about damaging the black chrome coating on your watch, removing the bezel to replace your crystal. If you don't mind my saying, yours looks fairly worn already. But you can put some masking tape on the case to prevent scratches, if you are concerned about marking it further. The bezel is held on by a rubber O-ring gasket, and is relatively easy to pry off. You use the small nick on the underside to insert a blade. See this photo (of a 7A38-7070) helpully supplied by a recent eBay seller. You can have the bezel in any rotational position you choose, when attempting to remove it, but make sure that you have inserted the blade as deep as you can, before twisting it. The only thing to watch out for is the spring-loaded click-ball, which is near 11 o'clock on the bezel track.

Sorry. I can't help you with a worn p/n B1242S bracelet for your 7A38-7080. I sold mine to another forum member (Brandon) last year.

March 15, 2012 at 12:21 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

O.K., so this is another 'not quite a Seiko 7A38', but a Puma Y19, which just arrived by Hermes courier, about half an hour ago. :)

Many of the Orient J39's and (previous) Puma Y19's in my collection are what I'd class as 'cheap beaters'. Many were cheap. ;)

Referring to them, I wrote on RLT last year: http://www.thewatchforum.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=62169&view=findpost&p=636488

Moral of the story ? Instead of diving in and buying the first example I come across, simply because it's a very rare 7A38 ....

Wait for a better example to come along. If one ever does, that is. But the temptation at the time is usually over-powering.

In fact, the Puma Y19201-70, which I'd picked up on eBay Germany last November wasn't actually that bad. It had suffered from only light-ish rubbing wear to the bracelet's gunmetal coating and also to the bezel's gold plating. What disappointed me more, was that the dial's printing was a little faded, particulary the Puma logo, which was bleached almost white (when I knew it was supposed to be red). 

So when I spotted another one, in what appeared to be far better condition, on eBay Germany last week, it had to be mine:

I just managed to rattle off these 4 Q&D photos before my camera's (flat) battery indicator started bleeping once again. :mad:

The eBay seller's and my own photos above (complete with sweaty finger-prints), really don't do it justice. It's in almost mint condition.

Weirdest thing; I was the only bidder, so won it for the opening bid price - and it cost me only two euros more than the previous one. :D

May 26, 2012 at 8:57 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Jota

Last weeks arrival;

[IMG]http://img337.imageshack.us/img337/2840/p1060320u.jpg[/IMG]

PS: I don't know what the exact problem is. I seem to be unable to post photos in a way they can be seen on the thread, Paul.

Fixed it for you, Julio. ;)

June 15, 2012 at 7:02 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.