Seiko 7A38 - by the numbers

Subtitle

Forums

Forum Home > 7Axx General Discussion Area > Show and Tell - Your newest incoming 7A

Mr.Jones

Got this fixer-upper for 40 Euros. The seller even included a tech guide for the 7A38:

September 16, 2015 at 8:26 AM Flag Quote & Reply

m95c

Greetings and thank you for adding me to the forums. This place is a gold mine for my 7A and 7T needs! I'm impressed with amount of information on 7A's and 7T's that I could not find on my other watch forums. This is an invaluable resource. Here is my 7A28-7040, build date 5/1987. It is almost mint and very little wear on the bracelet from occasional desk diving. It is one of my favorite Seikos in my collection and understand the history that precedes the 7A series. 

Vintage Seikos
Vintage Seikos

October 21, 2015 at 3:15 PM Flag Quote & Reply

garacs1

The other day I was lucky to get hold on a 7a38-726a in fair condition, declared as not working. The poor thing was completely clogged with what appeared to be soil and dirt (more I do not want to investigate). It also sported the now super common chronograph spring misplacement, so after a nice bath in cleaning solution and correct reassembly of all the pieces, a new battery was inserted and the watch is pulsing nicely. The only issue is the bracelet it came with, since as Paul pointed out in another thread it should have come with a leather strap. The bracelet is my problem: I cannot correctly identify to which watch it belongs on Seiko Oceania, even if I do a part search (where does it belong), so maybe you can help me. Part no. Is GI285.E. To which Seiko does this bracelet belong?

--

My personal Blog: www.onlyvintagewatches.com/blog

October 25, 2015 at 5:45 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

George.

A Seiko p/n G1285C bracelet would normally be found on a 7A38-7240, which uses the same two-tone watch case as the 7A38-726A.

Assuming that's what's fitted to your 7A38-726A, the end pieces of G1285C stainless and gold plated bracelet are stamped G1285.E. 

Just to confuse you, the gunmetal and gold plated version used on the 7A38-725A is actually p/n G1285E and also stamped G1285.E.

PS - Congratulations on your 500th post. ;)

October 25, 2015 at 6:13 AM Flag Quote & Reply

garacs1

Thanks for the congrats, the cell phone battery died right after I posted and didn't notice my new milestone! Back to the watch, the "I" then is a "1"... If I manage to post the pic from the cell you can then confirm me that it is a 726a with a 725a bracelet...

--

October 25, 2015 at 7:12 AM Flag Quote & Reply

garacs1

I managed to post a pic of the watch on another forum, here's the pic:

--

October 25, 2015 at 1:20 PM Flag Quote & Reply

garacs1

After a couple of days of waiting the postman to ring my doorbell, I got my hands on the newest participant to my collection, another 7A48-7000. After some very good cleaning and oiling, and the always needed chronograph spring correction, here it is:

Turned out very good, but still need to replace the glass.

--

November 1, 2015 at 6:32 AM Flag Quote & Reply

donwatch

My Honda F1 ---7a28-7160 arrived today, EMS from Japan.   I was the only bidder in a Yahoo auction :D  24,800 Yen was the bid. Proxy bid through "Buyee"  Japan Shopping Service.....Paul, the band was small, but I can still latch it on my wrist. I installed a SS spring expander and now all is well  :D

November 2, 2015 at 6:16 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Nice catch at the price, Don. 

November 3, 2015 at 4:54 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

I suppose I should confess.  It's been literally months since I bought a Seiko 7A38, per se. But earlier in the week a UK eBay seller listed a couple of NOS 7A38's that I simply couldn't resist - a gold tone 7A38-727A and a gold-tone 7A38-7260 - and I succumbed.

The 7A38-727A in my collection was a 'bitza' - rebuilt into a gold-tone 7A38-7190 case and bracelet (which is quite legitimate). Again I already had a couple of gold-tone 7A38-7260's, that I've owned for a few years. One of them is almost mint, but like my most of my other 7A38-726x's, I'd fitted it with a lizard grain strap. This one, being NOS, has the original Seiko p/n BRJ37G tan leather strap.

Here's a couple of the eBay seller's photos for now:

November 7, 2015 at 6:49 AM Flag Quote & Reply

garacs1
Nowhere near mine... That is really a beautiful 7260...
--

November 7, 2015 at 12:33 PM Flag Quote & Reply

sopgeo

Good morning everyone,

I'm new here and have just completed purchase of my first 7A38. I have a longstanding watch problem, but mostly of the mechanical type. I realised my collection did not include a chronograph and thought I owed it to myself to fix the omission. I would dearly like a vintage Rolex Daytona, but don't have that much in my watch fund this week. So I started looking at alternatives. I have always had a soft spot for,Seiko's and have quite a few. I started to see what chrongraph models Seiko made or had made. I was vaguely aware of the RAF Gen 1 and it was and is on my "one day" list. I found the 7Axx series. I liked some of the designs a lot and once I discovered the mechanism construction I was hooked. 

Anyway that's how I come to be here. I'm already looking for other models and can see a small collection forming in the coming months.

Best wishes, Paul.

November 23, 2015 at 3:39 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

So, Paul .... Show and Tell - Your newest incoming 7A(38).

November 23, 2015 at 1:23 PM Flag Quote & Reply

donwatch

I found this on a manual search---Described as a Men's Seiko  Quartz Chronograph  Sports 100 Wristwatch --So it did not come up any of my searches for Seiko 7a28/38 ....

It had a starting bid of $ 200.00 with no bids.  I contacted the seller and offered him $ 175.00 US.   Two days later he accepted my offer for 175.00 with FREE shipping.....It has a good large band and missing plastic pushers and scratched crystal -- BUT works perfect.. From June 1983   8)  :P http://www.ebay.com/itm/151891275435

December 2, 2015 at 7:57 PM Flag Quote & Reply

bpc

A couple new-to-me 7A28s have landed in the last couple weeks, and there's one more in the mail...I'm most excited about the third..

March 22, 2016 at 2:02 PM Flag Quote & Reply

bpc

After years of looking, I finally found an original 7A28-7089 bracelet (which happened to be attached to another 7A28-7089...)

March 24, 2016 at 1:20 PM Flag Quote & Reply

samulis

So, my hunt of 7A38 got a suprise turn.

School mate gave me plastic bag full of old quatrz watches and I could see through it that there was something familiar looking.

7A38-702A

Bracelet was the only Seiko one and it seem'd that it could be for this, but I'm not sure, nor about those end links that dont seem to fit. It seem's to be in decent condition, dial is very nice and hands too, even case seems to be ok condition.

Off course it did not work. So I opened it and found damage done by batterys acid.

Took it to parts and cleaned as much as I could. Got few new batteries and tried my luck.

Also removed pushers, as they hardly moved.

Chronograph's 1/10s and minute hands move and work, center second just tries to move, same as the previous did.

Watch side is completely dead. I did bend the small arm that tell's on what position the winding shaft is, now chrono reacts it's positions but no luck with watch side. So trying to figure what how to continue.

April 1, 2016 at 12:42 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Sir Alan

Thanks (again) to a member here, I'm the very happy owner of this 7A28-7090 Yacht Timer in original and almost perfect condition (bar the non working movement!!).

I've wanted one for a long while now, but wasn't prepared to pay the ebay asking prices. This will get a Christmas 'service' to be proud of.

December 19, 2016 at 11:14 AM Flag Quote & Reply

PHK

Finally…after fours years of looking I have my Roman numerals Seiko 7A38-706B. :) 

Thank you again Paul for calling it to my attention and letting me bid on it. 

I was able to get all the hands to work except the Thirty Minute totalizer. When I take it apart to install in one of my 7A38-7069 cases I'll give it a little nudge. ;)

--

Paul in Vegas.  8)

December 24, 2016 at 1:26 PM Flag Quote & Reply

PHK

And here are the cases that I have no qualms gutting. :D

Also Merry Christmas to everyone…! Be safe…and stay warm. :)

--

Paul in Vegas.  8)

December 24, 2016 at 1:32 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.