Seiko 7A38 - by the numbers

Subtitle

Forums

Forum Home > 7Axx General Discussion Area > Show and Tell - Your newest incoming 7A

Arpie

Here it is, the 7A38-7280 stainless steel version.

I have to re-align the sweep second hand. As far as I concerned I hate this short type Seiko clasp, so I'm going to change it to the usual 7 holes SQ version.

June 19, 2012 at 1:07 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Ah Yes - the stainless 'stolen' 7A38-7280, of eBay bid cancellation notoriety. :lol:

You're not alone in hating the standard fitment non-adjustable clasp closer, Arpad. It is indeed uncomfortable to wear on a daily basis, because it allows the tail of the Z-fold to move from side to side, and dig into the underside of your wrist. Fitting a longer clasp cover not only solves the problem of any shortage of missing adjustment links, it also locates the Z-fold postively and stops it moving about.

I find the 5-hole 25mm long clasp works just as well as the 7-hole 35mm clasp. I have both lengths on my 2 7A38-7280 daily wearers. 

June 19, 2012 at 2:15 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Arpie

And today ( I mean on Wednesday) I have received my new favourite! It's the 7A28-6040.

Sorry about the poor quality photo, my camera is a piece of c..p. But also it is very hard to take a nice shot about this beauty.

It needs a new crystal and maybe the strap needs to be changed to something else. (The red-black stripe NATO looks promising...will think about that).

June 20, 2012 at 9:09 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Very nice indeed, Arpad. ;)

If I collected 7A28's, I would definitely have been tempted by that 7A28-6040, but ....

PULEEZ promise me you won't stick it on a NATO - I knew I shouldn't have posted that photo in that other thread. :roll:

Remember what I wrote on RLT ?

The bottom one is a pretty rare 7Axx - a 7A28-6040 if I'm not mistaken.

Would probably even look better on black leather with red stitching.

June 20, 2012 at 9:21 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Try running a search on http://www.watch-band-center.com/ on '18mm black leather red stitching'. They've got a few to choose from. 

How about this Hirsch 'Jumper' ? Obviously it would need the gold-tone buckle option, rather than the polished stainless one shown:

June 20, 2012 at 9:48 PM Flag Quote & Reply

CA

Arpie at June 19, 2012 at 1:07 PM

Here it is, the 7A38-7280 stainless steel version.

I have to re-align the sweep second hand. As far as I concerned I hate this short type Seiko clasp, so I'm going to change it to the usual 7 holes SQ version.

Hi

I have just bought a beautiful 7A38-7289 (US version). The bracelet is too short so I'm looking for an extra link for maybe getting another bracelet. I guess the bracelet has to be of a particular type to fit the 7A38 case? Any advice grately appreciated :D

Sorry, I'm a newbie so forgot to include signature

August 18, 2012 at 7:01 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Claus.

You've probably read my reply to your message already. First thing - I know of no other (semi-integral) bracelet which will fit the 7A38-7280 / -7289 and look as good as the original Seiko p/n B1627.E. There is actually a better solution than searching for additional bracelet adjustment links, and that is to fit a longer adjustable clasp closer, in place of the original short (12mm) non adjustable one.

Scroll back up to the top of this page, and read my reply to Arpad. ;)

I have two stainless 7A38-7280's which I wear as daily beaters. One of them has been fitted with a 35mm 7-hole clasp (it was extremely short of adjustment links). The other (below) is fitted with the shorter 25mm 5-hole clasp:

August 18, 2012 at 7:31 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Arpie

I always wanted a black dial version of 7A38-7020...and now I have found it.

Needs a new crystal, the pushers are jammed, and the bracelet has lots of DNA from the previous owner.

September 10, 2012 at 1:35 PM Flag Quote & Reply

PHK

My first 7a38. And yes it is the "ultra rare USA model" 7a38-7069! Ha,ha. It's in terrific shape. Light wear, everything works and resets to zero. It's on the correct bracelet. (can't wait to put it on a NATO!!!!) And the best part Our Leader didn't machine gun it, Er I mean sniper it! Just kidding. No, the common 7a38s and 7a28s are fine with me. 

Yah I know, today's the 12th not the 13th. This day AND date thing is new to me!  Paul in Las Vegas. 8)

October 12, 2012 at 2:14 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Sir Alan

I picked this 7A38-7070 up recently with a bid which I thought was never going to win (it was more a marker to see who was interested)

the bezel is faded to an almost silver colour (I guess this is what put everyone else off) , which surprisingly I actually like!!

Apart from this, the rest of the watch is in great working condition with non of the annoying faults that many of my purchases have come with (you know the ones, chrono or sub-dial hands that won't start, or start after a delay, and consequently won't reset to zero).

I'm keeping my eye out for a donor bezel, but have worn this a lot of late as-is.

Compared to my other 7A38-7070, this has the all painted hands, rather than the polished ones.

I'm pretty sure that if I had to keep only one 7A38, it would be this style.

October 20, 2012 at 12:37 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Arpie

Welcome aboard the 7A28-7079.

Unfortunately, the chrono works but the normal time keeping doesn't...I will see what I can do with that.

Needs a new crystal and a very serious clean.....look at the bracelet how dirty....disgusting.

I like the totally grey dial and the black painted hands. Both of them are in very good condition, even the lume is very clean.

November 13, 2012 at 5:50 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Prospex44

I'm delighted with my first 7A38 arrival!

I received this 7A38-702A in the post earlier in the week, but didn't get the chance to photograph it until today!

It needed a new crystal, as the old one was scratched, but other than that, i think it's in pretty good shape!

Really enjoying my first 7A38!! :D

Hopefully it'll be the first of many to come!

Here is the 7A38-702A after the crystal change......

December 1, 2012 at 1:01 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Prospex44

Agh! My pics seem to be a bit "stretched" for some reason?

December 1, 2012 at 2:42 PM Flag Quote & Reply

PHK

Here is my semi "Grail" 7A38-706A. (sure glad I didn't spend US$500 for it!)  Nice and simple, not flashy, easy to read dark background, white hands. I've been keeping an eye out for this model for at least 2 years. Somehow missing one on forums, finding one on eBay and being out bid or locked out from overseas eBay sellers who won't sell to the US. Sorry for the unacceptable, cloudy, overcast background. Paul, in not so sunny Las Vegas. 

December 1, 2012 at 4:30 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Prospex44 at December 1, 2012 at 2:42 PM

Agh! My pics seem to be a bit "stretched" for some reason?

Nice 7A38-702A, Chris - this one looks like a 'Keeper'. ;)

I was going to add a cheeky comment along the lines of:

Seems like you've been taking (dimly-lit moody) photography lessons from our 'friends' at Timely_Classic. :P

But more importantly, it appears that you were having a few problems with uploading photos to the forum, which we need to resolve.

Please read my last couple of posts in this thread: http://www.seiko7a38.com/apps/forums/topics/show/7208345

Maybe not a bad idea if you read the whole thing carefully.

Are you using the new version of Photobucket ? If so, where did you select your image coding from ? Please reply in that thread.

I have since edited your post above, and 'fixed' your photos (without resizing them to 800 as you've done for your post on TZ-UK).

December 2, 2012 at 5:09 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Glad to see you finally got yourself a 7A38-706A - for a reasonable price, too Paul. ;)

Funny what you wrote that about the 'unacceptable, cloudy, overcast' weather in Las Vegas. I can remember being there on holiday, almost 10 years ago, to the day - in the last week of November 2002 - and it was distinctly chilly (for Las Vegas) back then too. :/

BTW - If this forum software wasn't so basic useless, I would have moved your post to the WRUW thread, where it better belongs. ;)

December 2, 2012 at 7:49 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Prospex44

Hey, leave my photography skills out of it! :P

PHK - that 7A38-706A is really gorgeous, congrats! I really like those!

Here is the 7A38-7070 that i received a little while ago as well. It's had a new crystal, but no new insert yet!

Here it is (or was) before the new crystal went in.....

And, here it is after the new crystal was fitted.....

December 2, 2012 at 11:47 AM Flag Quote & Reply

whitemonster

Is it possible at all to find inserts???

December 2, 2012 at 2:59 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Prospex44

whitemonster at December 2, 2012 at 2:59 PM

I believe Seiko didn't supply inserts for these models, only the full bezel assembly, similar dilemma to the vintage monocoque Tunas!

I'm planning on trying out some different aftermarket options, so i'll post up some pics when i receive them. :)

December 2, 2012 at 3:11 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

whitemonster at December 2, 2012 at 2:59 PM

Harry.

There's a thread about this in the 'Workshop' section:

http://www.seiko7a38.com/apps/forums/topics/show/7792531-replacement-7a38-7070-bezel-replacement-ideas-

December 2, 2012 at 3:15 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.