Seiko 7A38 - by the numbers

Subtitle

Forums

Forum Home > 7Axx General Discussion Area > Show and Tell - Your newest incoming 7A

Arpie

Probably I don't have to inctroduce this model or shall I?

Here is my early Xmas gift: 7A28-7120 RAF Gen 1.

Unfortunately the crystal is not original...but it doesn't matter as I have a Cousins F150CMH300 in stock which I can install upside-down to get that lovely polished bevel edge. Sternkreuz XMF300.860 could also be a good choice but I should order it.....as you may know I'm not patient enough :D

December 17, 2012 at 6:41 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Nice looking RAF Gen 1, Arpad - Congratulations on your acquistion.  An amazing low price for one of these, too - well done ! 

I just read the eBay seller's description (properly) , which ended in the sentence: Please remember the watch is being sold for repair.

So what did you actually need to do to get it running again ? 

December 18, 2012 at 4:34 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Arpie

Thanks Paul!

Yes, I was lucky to get it relatively cheaply

Interestingly all the chrono functions work properly but the normal time keeping function doesn't. I tried to nudge the second hand gently to see if it's able to start or not.....not. It doesn't shake either. So my first though was a dead coil or maybe a damaged circuit board but it could be a dirt between the gears or the oil is too old and became glue.....too many options but I didn't have time to experiment. :/

Instead of I have sacrificed a working 7A28 movement from my beater 7A28-7040 and just swap the hands and dials. (I have ordered those Horotec chrono hand remover levers, they are excellent, I really recommend to everybody)

After my Xmas holiday I will look inside -more deeper- this partly working 7A28 movement. It worth a try as there is no any sign of water ingress or battery leakage so I really hope it's just a dead coil.....I'm very optimistic.

December 18, 2012 at 5:48 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Sir Alan

Here's a few pics of my 7A28-707A which I brought back to wearability this morning:

the case, bracelet, dial and hands are in NOS condition.

I bought it with a known fault (main hands not working) and decided today that rather than trying to diagnose (and maybe fix) the fault I'd go for the quick option of swapping in a donor movement.

This went without hitch and I've got a really distinctive watch. :D

(and another 'project' movement ......)

January 27, 2013 at 7:02 AM Flag Quote & Reply

garacs1

Finally I got something out of my ebay-lurking...

Talking with an online friend, I was lazily watching auctions in Ebay.com, and came across an auction for what seems to be a nice 7A38-7190 watch with an horrible leather wrist  band. The price, and the magic "buy it now" button did the rest...

So I am officially, with this that I consider my first "collected" Seiko 7A38 series watch, into the game.

Any comments are appreciated ;)

February 8, 2013 at 6:26 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Bought myself another Lassale 7A54-7009 pocket watch as a 'repair project' - and something of a gamble on eBay, last week.

I started the thread about it the Workshop section because I wasn't sure what the repair might entail - nor the eventual outcome:

www.seiko7a38.com/apps/forums/topics/show/8641100-project-pocket-watch-lassale-7a54-7009-re-build-restoration-customization-

Here it is on the left, happily ticking away, with my previous one - in a slightly different photo. Plenty more photos in the other thread.

February 17, 2013 at 7:49 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Arpie

However it's no longer my latest incoming 7Axx but I promised to Andre (Nova) to do a "night shot".

XL motor, switch, battery box...what is that? It's one of my LEGO boxes. :P:D

February 19, 2013 at 9:14 AM Flag Quote & Reply

garacs1

While waiting for my 7A38-7190 from USA, today DHL ringed my door bell with another small package, containing this:

It is a 7A34-7000 I bought for under 30€ on Ebay, winning the auction overnight while I was sleeping! evidently there was not much interest on it... Strange, since I find it really nice. Maybe the date position and "upside down smile" form of the date opening might play a big part on the fact that it got very few views and bids. Good for me, since I like it (yes, I do have a strange taste...)

The overall conditions are incredibly good. There are a few scratches on the crystal, but they are hardly noticeable. Actually, the preceding owner has done a great job in preserving its conditions. Even the gold plating looks like brand new! Some minor defects are to be found still, but I will fix them, I am quite sure. One thing I noticed as soon as I popped in a new battery: even if the chrono does work perfectly well, the small real seconds hand does not turn. More of this, on the dedicated thread, soon to come ;)

February 20, 2013 at 1:23 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

I was watching it, George. Both myself and a couple of other forum members placed bids on it too.

I quite fancied it  - not for it's own sake, but for possible conversion into a 7A34 / 7A38 Franken, like Andre's: 

http://www.seiko7a38.com/apps/forums/topics/show/7954554-7a34-7000-frankened-with-a-7a38-7280

I recognised your bidder ID, and decided to defer to you and let it go. You should consider yourself lucky. ;)

Especially as you actually you won it for under 25€. :)

February 20, 2013 at 1:36 PM Flag Quote & Reply

garacs1

:) thanks Paul actually I am quite happy, and decided to not do a franken out of it, since it is particular and I would like to keep it like that. You have already pointed me out that thread, and I really like Andre's conversion, using the 7A38-7280 dial. Wonder what he did of the 7A34 movement... since this one I got apparently suffers the same problem my father's 7A34-7010 had: the small seconds hand trembles but does not move...

February 20, 2013 at 1:40 PM Flag Quote & Reply

garacs1

BTW: I really didn't expect to win the auction, since I was working when I won it, and only noticed the email the day after, after a good night's sleep... without checking emails...

February 20, 2013 at 1:42 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Sir Alan

Well, being as its my birthday today (the big five oh), I've decided that this will be my nominated 50th birthday watch. I finally took note of what Paul has been saying about the Yema Spationaute III watch and ordered one for myself. I got stung for a hefty £38 in import taxes but I have to say it was worth it for a watch in this condition (NOS) and presence.

the lovely (but hard to photo) domed crystal and shark skin strap.

My precioussssssssssssssssssssssssssss :D

February 23, 2013 at 8:43 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

They are lovely, both to look at and to wear, aren't they Simon. ;)

Glad you finally took the plunge (and my advice) while there were still some NOS Spationaute III's left and grabbed one for yourself. :)

As you've no doubt already learned from experience, that shallow domed crystal makes them difficult to photograph in anything but perfect lighting conditions. Then you've got to make allowances the refections off the crystal. After a few (grainy) failed attempts to take my WRUW shot indoors, this afternoon, I braved the cold and quickly stepped outside. It was trying to snow again ! :o

February 23, 2013 at 9:34 AM Flag Quote & Reply

garacs1

My latest 7A38 (and for the moment is the only one, since the one coming from USA hasn't arrived yet... :( ;) is a 7A38-7090 with damaged strap... apart from that, in very good conditions:

Described as damaged, it was only a matter of replacing the main minute hand in place and put a new battery. I named it "Silver Shadow", in honor of the famous german racing cars of the 30's, the Silver Arrows, because of its brushed metal case and strap. As soon as I manage to find a strap replacement I will post a decent WUW photo.

--

My personal Blog: www.onlyvintagewatches.com/blog

March 1, 2013 at 12:11 PM Flag Quote & Reply

fmc000

Hello,

my second post to introduce my latest arrival: 7A38-7280 from 1987 .

It was originally a gold-tone watch but the previous owner decided to brush it to steel. That didn't work out so he sold it to me.

I managed to clean out most of the remaining gold from the watch and now it looks much better than the pic shows.

March 4, 2013 at 6:58 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Sir Alan

I was so impressed with my 50th birthday watch - the Yema Spationaute III, that I decided I ought to get another!!

This time I managed to avoid the shipping and handling and other charges, and got this:

a very nice box:

with a very nice case inside:

and inside this, a lovely NOS watch :P

thanks again Paul ;)

March 12, 2013 at 2:20 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Glad you finally came around to the idea, then Simon ? ;)

March 12, 2013 at 2:27 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Sir Alan

Yeah - think of me as a slow starter, but a fast learner. ;)

March 12, 2013 at 2:48 PM Flag Quote & Reply

whitemonster

Congrats! I see you have the version with no lume on the hourmarkers, only on the hands. I have one as well. I wonder why that  is?

March 12, 2013 at 5:54 PM Flag Quote & Reply

fmc000

My first 7A28, thanks to this Forum: a 7020 black & gold.

--

My Seiko chronos: SPV002 - SDX008J1 - SFA005J1 - PSZ006P1

March 16, 2013 at 5:59 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.