Seiko 7A38 - by the numbers

Subtitle

Forums

Forum Home > 7Axx General Discussion Area > Show and Tell - Your newest incoming 7A

Arpie

My new beauty just arrived yesterday. An NOS Yema Spationaute III.

Very spectial thanks to Mike Kelley who helped me with the transaction.

April 7, 2013 at 11:15 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Sir Alan

Here's my latest, another black 'Alien', the 7A28-7000 JDM version of this iconic watch.

Being the JDM version, its got the Speedmaster clasp:

In the box:

and on the wrist:

this was an impulse ebay purchase as a result of this thread:

http://www.seiko7a38.com/apps/forums/topics/show/7335639-alien-3-or-alien-resurrection-another-ebay-caveat-emptor-?page=1

see the post at the bottom of the page - I spotted that, saw the listing, had a quick chat with myself, and hit that 'buy it now' button.

After that it was just wait and see, but I figured at that price it was worth a punt.

I half expected to get some kind of cancellation from the seller, and to see it re-listed, but instead a day or so later I got a shipping notification and a tracking number.

I got slightly worried when the same seller listed an almost identical watch a couple of days later, but a close inspection of the listing photos showed this was a different watch (and not my one!!).

And, a couple of days later, instead of that depressing letter telling me about import/duty and handling charges (which would have been pretty hefty) the watch arrived very nicely packed.

I did message the seller enquiring how many watches they had, and was told they'd bought 4 of them 35 years ago and the lastest listing was for the last of these. 

Still looking for a 'mint' version of the silver one ....................................

April 20, 2013 at 2:00 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Great result Simon, particularly for an impulse buy - especially in evading the clutches of HMRC / Mount (un)Pleasant sorting office. ;)

April 22, 2013 at 7:57 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Sir Alan

I got this thanks to you tracking the listing and posting in the thread. I doubt I would have seen it before someone else grabbed it, so a big thanks :D

April 22, 2013 at 8:51 AM Flag Quote & Reply

ukkit
Nice one. So, confess. Did anyone else here buy one of the other three?
April 22, 2013 at 1:35 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Sir Alan

Just the tell bit until I get home - but thanks to a heads up from Paul I've bagged one of the few watches that I am actively looking out for.

It's pretty worn, but luckily I've got a sample case and part bracelet ready and waiting to make something really nice.

Pics to follow soon.........

May 1, 2013 at 10:31 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Sir Alan

So, here it is, a 7A28-7080 from its original owner in the Netherlands.

well worn, but with the all important clasp:

it also came with 4 extra links. :D

Now then, where did I put that sample case & bracelet? ;)

May 1, 2013 at 2:52 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Sir Alan

After a little bit of midnight oil, and a quick chat with Paul, I'm very pleased with this:

Mmmmmmmm.

Very pleased with this.

I've had the sample case for over a year now and recently considered breaking it up but I'm glad I didn't.

May 2, 2013 at 3:31 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Good to see it on your wrist at last, Simon. :) Remember the saying: patience is a virtue. Unfortunately, it's not one of mine, either. :lol:

May 2, 2013 at 8:29 AM Flag Quote & Reply

bobfrog

I thought it was time I said hello.  Recently got a 7A38 7020 off eBay.  It was quite cheap as no-one bidded and to be honest I got worried I bought something I shouldn't have.  So far it seems great but happy for someone to tell me otherwise.  It goes really great with my 3 7A28s I have, having only recently got into the 7A series after many years into the mechanical Seikos.

May 6, 2013 at 3:27 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

aboard officially, at last, Ben - and to the joys (and pains) of 7A38 ownership. :)

That looks a fairly tidy example of the stainless 7A38-7020 you've picked up. There have been quite a few on eBay lately - so I'll admit I'm struggling to figure out which one yours was. Prices have been all over the place too (sometimes, not always, related to condition).

There was one on eBay Germany (admittedly rather battered-looking) that ended yesterday - only made 40.49 Euros:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Seiko-Chronograph-7A38-7020-von-1985-Sports-100-/181125560912

So let me guess - did yours come from the Netherlands (as opposed to Germany), by any chance ? You have a PM by the way. ;)

May 6, 2013 at 3:45 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Arpie

My latest snipe arrived: 7A28-703B.

I always wanted this model, it's so eye-catching. I really like those black links in the bracelet they give a supportive appearance to the face.

Couple of shots:

Just need a good clean, maybe a new caseback gasket.....and it's ready to wear. :)

May 15, 2013 at 8:55 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

A very nice example indeed, Arpad. 

May 15, 2013 at 9:25 AM Flag Quote & Reply

lanang

my (now become) daily beater, 7A28-7040 from ebay

July 11, 2013 at 2:15 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Looks a likely candidate for one of Yobokies' repro' bezel inserts (when they become available), Agus. ;)

July 11, 2013 at 3:28 AM Flag Quote & Reply

lanang

Seiko7A38 at July 11, 2013 at 3:28 AM

Looks a likely candidate for one of Yobokies' repro' bezel inserts (when they become available), Agus. ;)

absolutely sir, cant wait that news from harold :D

July 12, 2013 at 12:00 AM Flag Quote & Reply

lanang

my soon to be 7A38-7080, the PVD is washed out :D

--

so much 7As to collect so thinning flat wallet :roll:

July 12, 2013 at 8:43 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Yes, I'll be the first to admit that building a large collection of 7Axx's can be a somewhat wallet-lightening experience. :/

But they don't always have to cost 'an arm and a leg', particularly some of the slightly more obscure 'unloved' variants. :)

My newest incoming (non-Seiko) 7A38, which arrived yesterday, falls very much into the 'I really didn't need another one' category ....

as I have two Kamatz 518000's already (with different dial colours), but for the price I won the eBay auction for, I just couldn't resist. :D

It wasn't just that sub-£20 winning bid price (and low postage charge from Spain), but the received condition. The watch has obviously been worn rather more than the 4 or 5 occasions alleged by the seller in their description, but is otherwise virtually mint and unmarked. Indeed, all it needed, as also stated by the seller, was a new battery. :) Makes you wonder why he didn't bother to fit one himself. :roll:

The tan strap that came on it is the original Kamatz branded fitment; oddly a 21mm wide strap that is squeezed slightly to fit the 20mm lug width. Although it's still quite clean and wearable, it will soon be replaced by something else - likely a 20mm oiled leather strap in black, with white stitching. I've encountered these Kamatz straps before, one was supplied (new unworn) with a previous 518000; I found they're too stiffly padded for my liking and the ends of the ugly over-sized buckle tend to dig in the underside of your wrist.

July 12, 2013 at 9:57 AM Flag Quote & Reply

PHK

And here is my incoming 7A38-7290. Definitely has "patina." Crystal and gasket need to be replaced. A quick clean inside around the pushers and it should be "good to go" Thanks again Paul!

Maybe a little black spray on the bracelet? LOL!!!

July 12, 2013 at 12:44 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Ouch ! That's some pretty serious rubbing wear to the black chrome coating on the underside of the bracelet, Paul. :(

Now we know why the eBay seller 'hid' the bracelet in their only listing photo:

The description also stated: What you see is what you're bidding on. Watch is pre-owned, may contain some scratches. 

Still - I don't think you can complain too much, at the price. ;) Might be worth investing in a spray can of matt black, like you said. :P

July 12, 2013 at 1:37 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.