Seiko 7A38 - by the numbers

Subtitle

Forums

Forum Home > 7Axx General Discussion Area > Show and Tell - Your newest incoming 7A

garacs1

The postman ringed at my bell this morning (again) and gave me a small package, with two watches inside. One of them is a beautiful 7A48-5000 with some scratches and dents, but in 99% working conditions (the Reset pusher does not work - still), and with a Seiko Bracelet which does not belong to this particular model. Here it is:

--

My personal Blog: www.onlyvintagewatches.com/blog

December 23, 2013 at 11:26 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

It's been a while since I've posted in this thread - simply because most of my recent incoming '7A38's haven't actually been Seiko's.

Anyway, here's the fruit of my pre-Christmas fuzzy photo gamble on eBay Germany, which arrived last week (on December 30th). :)

This was the seller's first photo. He did subsequently upload a second one to the listing, but it wasn't much better:

Clearly - if you knew what you were looking at, that is, a pretty tidy-looking example of a 7A38-704C.

The seller described it (Google translation from the original German) as:

The clock runs fine and has no damage or scratches. Just at the back are tiny scratches from use. Even the bracelet is perfect.

For a watch that had been owned (and worn) from new, it is in amazingly well cared for condition. There is absolutely minimal coating wear, only a couple of tiny spots, through to the black chrome plating underneath, athough the original matt dark grey finish (which I'm becoming ever more convinced is nothing more than sprayed paint) has taken a slight polish. It must have had all the original bracelet adjustment links present, because I had to remove three before stashing the rest under the clasp, when I resized it down to fit me.

The original crystal had a tiny, very light scratch on it - and in normal circumstances I would have left it like that (for originality's sake), but, as received, there was an unidentified 'floater' trapped between the underside edge of the crystal and the minute ring. As I had to press the crystal out to remove the 'floater' and I already had a NOS Seiko p/n 320W46GN00 crystal in stock, naturally I fitted it.

It also has the most amazing like new 'clicky' feel to all the pushers - almost like a NOS watch. :)

The only slight downside was the condition of the case-back, presumably caused by the owner allowing the clasp to rub on it when not being worn - and the usual slipped tool marks made by some ham-fisted high-street watch-botcher during battery changes. :(

They didn't take too much effort to polish out. 8)

Unfortunately, having joked about the seller's photo in this thread, my own photos, taken today by flash aren't exactly the best. :/

Not bad nick for a fuzzy photo gamble, eh ? :D

January 5, 2014 at 8:43 AM Flag Quote & Reply

MTX371

Why did I miss that beauty?!?!??? :mad:

January 6, 2014 at 7:36 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

3 day listing - no mention of 7A38 in the title or description. ;)

January 6, 2014 at 7:42 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Sir Alan

One of my favourites Paul.  Very very nice.  :P

January 6, 2014 at 8:17 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Jota

That's sweet indeed. Congrats, man. :)

January 11, 2014 at 12:39 PM Flag Quote & Reply

gufi

Here is my newly arrived 7A28-703B which I could acquire from a member of the german UhrForum.

In my opinion the 7A28-703B is one of the most attractive models of the whole 7Axx-series. Very sporty and typical 80´s; especially with the original bracelet.

The condition is pretty good; especially dial and the bezel are above average. Glass has only very few marks. Only the chrono functions are not working correct. The min. hand doesn´t move (but it can be reset); someday I´ll let my watchmaker take a look on it.

I guess this watch is among my Top 3 7Axx-models together with the 7A28-701A and the 7A38-701A.

Here are some pics:

January 19, 2014 at 11:40 AM Flag Quote & Reply

donwatch

As found !

January 28, 2014 at 5:55 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

We know where you 'found' that nice example of a 7A28-7079, Don. ;)

There was a lot of discussion about it (for different reasons, not about the watch itself) in this recent thread in the eBay section:

http://www.seiko7a38.com/apps/forums/topics/show/12139746-ebay-searches-returning-fewer-results-lately

January 28, 2014 at 5:57 PM Flag Quote & Reply

donwatch

It still has the green / blue  film on the back !

January 28, 2014 at 6:10 PM Flag Quote & Reply

garacs1

New watch incoming (didn't receive it yet...) and this should help me restore completely my "old knight", the Seiko 7A48-7040 I bought some weeks ago:

If all goes as planned, I will have a perfect dial and almost perfect case+glass to replace the battered one. Should arrive in a couple of days, will update you :=)

--

January 29, 2014 at 4:43 PM Flag Quote & Reply

PHK

Latest purchase. 7A38-7060

January 31, 2014 at 3:09 PM Flag Quote & Reply

gufi

Here is my newest arrival, a 7A38-7000. I already had this model some years back, now I thought it would be a nice addition to my 7A28-703B.

The condition is pretty good, actually ideal for me. Not mint, but with only light marks, perfect for everyday´s use.The tachymeter-scale was not in the correct position (I alway wonder how this can happen?), but this could be fixed easily. Everything works as it should, the buttons have the crispy feel like being almost new.:)

Without any doubt this model has a lot of interresting details. The case with three differentt finishes (brushed, polished and matt) and the wonderful bracelet. And of course the two-tone dial with the chrome elements and the beautiful tachymeter-scale.

Here are some pics:

February 2, 2014 at 3:30 PM Flag Quote & Reply

garacs1

Here it is, my new 7A48-7040 in almost NOS conditions, perfectly working after a partial movement/dial swap:

--

February 2, 2014 at 5:42 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Rob Benham

This arrived today.  I don't know why I paid so much for it, but like a fellow pilot in 1985, I awoke the next morning to find I owned it.  (He found it on his wrist after a fine night out, thought it was Christmas, but then saw his credit card. )

I'm happy to say mine is better than described by its honest seller.  Unusual.  However, the minute scratches on the crystal leave me with a dilemma.  It's just so good I feel I shouldn't put the tachy scale at risk.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Seiko-7A28-Chronograph-Stainless-Steel-Two-tone-Watch-/291083668144

February 23, 2014 at 1:05 AM Flag Quote & Reply

donwatch

Congrats on that one- I was going to bid but at this time I don't need another two-tone  :)  That was a fair price I think.

February 23, 2014 at 2:33 AM Flag Quote & Reply

lam

I'm very appreciative of my 7A28-7049 being fully operational and very nice now with new bezel surround from Harold (will post in WRUW thread) as i've received another 7A28 that I can't get the back off of, and two 7A38's that one does not have an operating chronograph, and the other one doesn't reset any of the chronograph hands to 0. :mad:

--

Slowly becoming Seiko Enthusiast.. Learning..

February 26, 2014 at 2:35 PM Flag Quote & Reply

7ARCool

Seiko 7A28-7000.
Picked this up from sorting office today.
Sold as spares/repair due to acid damaged movement.
Movement is not too bad so should harvest some spare parts.
Black finish showing wear and shine but no nasty dinks/dents.
Dial and hands are in good order.
Having not handled one of these before, I must say it does not wear as awkward as the case design looks!
I have a spare movement for this but am considering a "Franken" project . :D

March 6, 2014 at 12:36 PM Flag Quote & Reply

PHK

8)

My latest purchase which was discussed here, -Heads Up on yet another 7A38 Franken(s) - Part 2 !! Page 3 the 7A48 case.

Now if you go to WRUW you will see what has become of this timepiece.

PK 8)

April 6, 2014 at 2:53 PM Flag Quote & Reply

mitadoc

My new Seiko Bishop. Excuse me for the bad condition but I bought it that way. Soon I hope to restore it and put it in proper shape.

The NOS bracelet is on the way to me, now only the red plastic chrono pusher is still missing. Any ideas where to source one from?

Thanks in advance!

April 17, 2014 at 5:20 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.