Seiko 7A38 - by the numbers

Subtitle

Forums

Forum Home > 7Axx General Discussion Area > Show and Tell - Your newest incoming 7A

chremilos

Hello Gentlemen,

Here are mine for my first post.

The 7A38 7289 and the 7A28 7020 I bought while in the US last May

The 7A48 7010 is a EBay shipped from Japan

The Yema I found in Paris and was sold on Le Bon Coin

They all work fine but the 7A38 7289 where the 4 o'clock pusher is inactive. I changed the battery, it's clean inside. No clue.

KR

July 30, 2017 at 11:44 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Johnny_E

My 2nd 7A38, just added to my collection yesterday. 

October 1983 and in nice (but not perfect) condition. Its been refinished a bit roughly in places by a DIY'er at some stage, so I spent a little time last night, being gentle with a Garryflex bar to bring things back to a more consistent look. All in all though, a nice example and as with my other 38, a delight to own and wear.

Happy to have your comments re originality. If its a Franken, I'd still be happy as it was a good price. It has a 7 hole clasp with the SQ logo which makes it easy to get a good fit.

Finally, a group shot of my two 7A38's with my 7T32 that I bought myself back in 1989.

Now... what's next? I'm going to have to up my budget next time... maybe a nice 7A28 or a JDM Speedmaster... we'll see! 

September 7, 2017 at 11:00 AM Flag Quote & Reply

johnnylarue

Dear god, I thought this day would never come!

After nearly a year of diligent global auction site-watching and lurking on forum classifieds sections I've FINALLY managed to land an almost-reasonably-priced, intact silver 7A28-7000:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Seiko-chronograph-Sports-100-Aliens-Watch-used-and-in-great-condition/192325873858

For a watch that's alleged to have been produced in rather large numbers, it was shocking how few of these came up for sale this year.  Just one or two in Europe (France and Spain), maybe three in Japan (in varying states of disrepair), and to my knowledge exactly zero working examples in North America.  I clearly missed out on those glorious days when these things were routinely exchanging hands for "used quartz watch" prices.

Perhaps a few elements conspired to keep this one in a reasonably-affordable price range: it's a bit dirty, sports a few bruises, the buttons are cracked, and the seller failed to include the model number or the name 'Giugiaro' in the listing title so it may have eluded a few potential suitors.  Whatever the case, the bidding pool was unexpectedly small--a watch like this would normally draw a larger number of low-stakes speculative bidders, at the very least.

Anyway, yay for me!  I'll be sure to post pics when it arrives--perhaps a cursory photo shoot with my other recently-acquired Seiko grail: a rather stunning 6105-8119.  For now, though, I need to wean myself off of looking at watches for a little while--lest I find myself sleeping on the couch until Christmas. :P

October 12, 2017 at 4:18 PM Flag Quote & Reply

omegaqq

My first Seiko 7a38.

Yes, I know that hour, minute and second hands are not original and also the crown, but I was not able to find such.

October 17, 2017 at 11:23 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.