Seiko 7A38 - by the numbers

Subtitle

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > Sticky: Please introduce yourselves - by replying

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

VK Boss SRB at December 7, 2014 at 7:23 AM

Hello folks,

My name is Vasilije, I am from Serbia and I love Seiko watches mostly because my father and grandfather owned variety of models and types.

I am into chronographs, and my story about 7A38 began recently, when I found one on a watch-trading site. I liked it on a very first glance so I've decided to buy it amazingly cheap (guy asked 30EUR for it)

Watch is in great condition, battery was weak and also a  glass was lightly scratched so I've replaced it - and that is it.

I am really looking forward to expanding my 7a28/38/48 collection.

Welcome aboard Vasilije. Thanks for taking the trouble to write an introduction. :)

PS - A stainless 7A38-7270 is a good place to start a collection. See my first post. ;)

December 7, 2014 at 8:14 AM Flag Quote & Reply

LordRocksavage

Hi Everyone,  I'm Rick.  Time has been an obsession over the years and I've done a fair amount of reading on the subject.  I bought a 7A38 7289 back in 1983 and since then it's been a favorite watch of mine.  As a rule when I become interested in something I do a lot of reading before acting on these interests.  My Seiko has been dormant for years and I now wish to reserect it.   This site looks interresting and fun and I am anxious to get started finding some things out.  I am dealing just now with the basics of how watches work and their maintainence and repair.  Thanks for including me in your site.  You'll be hearing from me again soon.  R

January 21, 2015 at 3:48 PM Flag Quote & Reply

ba1970

Hello. My name is Brandon and I am a seikoholic. I hope to continue drooling on my keyboard. Your pictures of the vast quantity of 7a variants are outstanding. Thank you for having me here.

Hi gang.

I wanted to edit my post so as to include a picture of my 7A28-7049, but I ran out of time. Here is a picture, if I may. Thank you.

photo IMG_20150121_144336_zps43ca2bb0.jpg

Post edited by Admin: Fixed it for you. ;)

--
Brandon
January 23, 2015 at 7:55 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Saad

Hello everyone

I have been a fan of seikos vintage automatic chronographs for quite some time but recently i discovered the 7aXX line of quartz chronos. I had a 7t32 that i wore very rarely but soon i found myself gravitating towards it because of the convenience of the general quartz watch over an automatic. Naturally as a watch entusiast, i was curious about similar quartz models and this lead me to the 7axx watches. I bought a 7a38 7080 as my first watch from this line just to test the waters. It was cheap and in horrible shape but i did my best to clean it up and eventually found myself hooked onto these quartz models.

Anyways heres a pic of my latest aquisition: a 7a28 703b (looking for an original bracelet for it currently)

February 19, 2015 at 7:59 AM Flag Quote & Reply

donwatch

:D Nice and sharp

February 19, 2015 at 1:48 PM Flag Quote & Reply

killsnapz

Hello my name is Michael and I am a die hard Seikoholic. I have a little bit of everything Seiko and a small collection of watches representing the 7A series. I fell in love with the 7A series after I nabbed my first one on eBay. Ever since then I have been trying to educate myself on them and do my best to be sure when I do purchase and of the 7A watches that they are correct. Which is how I ended up here. An online search pulled up this forum and the amount of good information is mind blowing so I joined and I am now trying to take in all of the great information posted here. The exact watch that brought me to this site was the 7A38-6109 serial number 7N0124. I purchased one off the bay but I could not find much on it until a search pulled up this site and I was amazed at how much information was listed here on this unusual variant. I'm looking forward to browsing through here and trying to take in as much information as I can. I will most likely be doing was more reading than posting for now but I hope to make new friends here and learn so I can make smart decisions when I make an occasional new purchase.

Michael.

February 21, 2015 at 3:08 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Thanks for taking the trouble to post an intro' (twice) - and welcome aboard, Michael. ;)

February 21, 2015 at 3:21 PM Flag Quote & Reply

killsnapz

Thanks for the nice welcome. Sorry for the newbie mistake! I always did like to make a grand entrance! :)

February 21, 2015 at 3:26 PM Flag Quote & Reply

PHK

Welcome killsnapz, from a fellow...Nutmeg ah! :)

--

Paul in Vegas.  8)

February 25, 2015 at 5:38 PM Flag Quote & Reply

maccoretti

Hi all,

My name is Winston. I am from New Zealand and I am a Seikoholic. 

My love for 7A38's began when my father gifted me his 7270 about 10 years ago.

I've worn it nearly everyday since and it's never let me down. It's well used and it's screen is a bit scratched but has no dings or dents. 

I own a couple of other watches, a Heuer Carrera 1964 re-edition, and a Gen 2 RAF but my 7A38 beater is my favourite for some strange reason. 

Now I see the love for this model and prices rising, I feel I need to build my collection up to include as many special 7A38's as possible. 

First step is to find me another 7270 (or two or three...). 

Hoping to learn lots more from this fantastic resource.

Ciao! :P~w

March 17, 2015 at 2:35 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Welcome aboard, Winston - and thanks for taking the trouble to write an intro' post. :)

A stainless 7A38-7270 is a good place to start - just be careful - these things have a tendency to grow on you. :D

March 17, 2015 at 5:40 AM Flag Quote & Reply

m_487

Hello everyone !

I'm Phil, and I'm seikoholic. I'm big fan of 7A28 series, got already few of them, and want more :)

I'm very happy, that I can join this forum.

Regards !

--

April 6, 2015 at 4:49 PM Flag Quote & Reply

m_487

Some of my 7A28

imagebam.com imagebam.com imagebam.com

--

April 6, 2015 at 5:03 PM Flag Quote & Reply

K Rat

Hello.

My name is Clayton and how I arrived to this forum is as follows...

I've always enjoyed watches but I didn't know much about them beyond the ubiquitous Rolex Submariner and Omega Speedmaster. I remembered checking out the 7Axx models when they were new in the stores. I liked the 7A28s but they were too expensive.  The price in 1984 was around $295 USD which is roughly $700 in today's dollars. That was too much money for a quartz movement and on top of that, a Seiko! Back then Seiko was a cheap and decent brand a guy owned until he could buy something cool, mechanical, and SWISS. I was ignorant of the uniqueness of this 7A calibre. Fast forward to 1999, I'm stationed overseas with the U.S. Army and after much scrimping and saving I purchased my dream watch, an Omega Speedmaster Professional, through the PX catalog. That watch and a series of plastic Casio analog/digital beaters had me covered for all occasions. Move the timeline to 2013 and you'd find me reading all manner of watch blogs. I'd learned about the Benrus DTU-2A/P and Hamilton/Benrus/Waltham GG-W-113 watches which were issued to U.S. Air Force pilots from 1965 to the mid '80s. So, off to the eBay and start buying up those watches. One thing leads to another and I discover the Seiko RAF generation 1 quartz chronograph. Ok, you know where this is going! I won a decent looking gen 1, for way too much money, from a seller in France. Using Google Fu, I found this website and began the absorption of vast knowledge contained within. Since that first auction, I've added a couple of 7A28s and a 7A38 to my overall collection, which is affectionately named "the Hoard". 

My goal is to repair and maintain my watches. Unfortunately, you guys have already bought ALL of the good ones and ALL of the needed spare parts!

April 11, 2015 at 11:04 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Welcome aboard, Clayton - and thanks for taking the trouble to write an introduction. ;)

I'm sure there are plenty more good examples out there, still waiting to be found - it' s just that there are more of us collectors competing for them nowadays, so less bargains to be had. :/

April 12, 2015 at 4:38 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Mr.Jones

Hi everyone - I'm a bit late to the party... My name is Jonas, I'm hailing from Hamburg, Germany.

I'm rather into 70's auto chronos, but since the Panda struck a nerve, I obtained not only the auto version, but also a nice little 7T32-7C60 one. Which was broken (battery plate fused to the movement by battery acid broken). So I got another 7T32 for a heart transplant. Which was too nice to rip apart.

One thing led to another and now I own several 7T32, 7A28 and 7A38. The latest of which is this golden 7A38-728A:

- which is a non-runner, sadly. Chrono works, though. And that's part of why I'm here. I'm already active on other (japanese centered) forums, but some of my digital chronos require TLC and I think this is the best place for specific info on these.

Now I only need the time to get to work on them... My 10 month old son requires most of my free time.

June 24, 2015 at 5:17 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Welcome aboard, Jonas. :) Thanks for taking the trouble to write an introduction. 

I spotted your excellent wrist shot of your rather nice stainless 7A38-7020, which you posted over on SCWF on Monday. ;)

http://www.thewatchsite.com/21-japanese-watch-discussion-forum/173329-monday-22nd-june-whats-your-wrist.html

We could do with more contributions like that in our (One and Only) WRUW thread. It's been a bit quiet in there lately. :/

June 24, 2015 at 11:57 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Mr.Jones

Will do, when I wear my 7As or 7Ts ;)

June 25, 2015 at 9:41 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Yozzer

Hi, I am Brian, surname Hughes, and as I was born in Liverpool, anyone called Hughes got the nickname Yozzer at that time, and is used now as my nickname in the forums I am a member of.

I bought my Seiko in the 80's, a 7A38-7280, and wore it up until my retirement, then I started to wear the watch my kids bought me. It was at my retirement I also started mending clocks I bought, then pocket watches, and at that time some wrist watches, though my eyesight made that a little difficult.

After not using the 7A38 for 3 years, (I have about 20 wristwatches and tend to cycle them now over time so they all get worn), I took it out and of course it had stopped, so I replaced the battery, but found I was getting the second hand 2 second twitch, which brought me to this forum.

The pictures and help guides are amazing, and I read the advice on batteries, and the fact that so many are either old stock, or even fake, so have now ordered what I hope is going to be reputable batteries. We will see!

Anyway, I am now wearing the watch again, and must admit it stands apart from the other watches I have, and at the time was on the cutting edge of watches. I actually bought it in a sale as the jeweller was retiring, reduced on the last day from the huge sum at that time of £180, reduced to £80, so I was very pleased. It is in very good condition, but I must admit to the cardinal sin of fitting an ordinary crystal when the original was damaged, but having read some of the restorations carried out by members of this forum, I think I should be correcting that before posting again. ;)

Bye for now, and thanks to all of those who have taken so much trouble to help others.

Brian

July 11, 2015 at 6:03 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Welcome aboard, Brian. :) Thanks for taking the trouble to write an introduction. Much appreciated .... although I immediately knew where your nickname originated from. ;) A poignant reminder of those hard times. Gissa job - I can do that. Gissit ! 

July 11, 2015 at 6:21 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.