Seiko 7A38 - by the numbers

Subtitle

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > Sticky: Please introduce yourselves - by replying

P Blachford
Hi all, my name is Pete and I live in the UK. I inherited a 7T32-6A50 with a two tone bracelet from my brother. I'm trying to get it working but I need to source either some extra bracelet links or a compatible replacement. I'm hoping someone here can point me in the right direction.
September 15, 2016 at 2:01 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Raginazn318

HI everyone, 

My name is Mo, from California. Stumbled upon a 7a28-7029 at a yard sale, hoping to get it working shortly. Found this website while researching the watch and excited to learn more about these amazing watches. 

Cheers!

September 16, 2016 at 8:51 PM Flag Quote & Reply

thierry

Hi everyone

I am originally from France but spend most of my time in Canada and own a couple forums about cars. I discovered this one after doing a search for informations about a Yema/Seiko N7 for sale on Ebay.

--
November 11, 2016 at 4:42 PM Flag Quote & Reply

ArtB59

Hello All,

I recently joined this group as I have owned my Seiko 7A38's since new in the mid 80's. I also have one Seiko 7813, purchased around the same time. I stumbled upon this site as I was searching information about battery replacement, and found that there is a wealth of knowledge here.

Now to the specifics....my first is a 7A38-7020 in stainless, a Sports 100 model, second is a 7A38-7190 in gold. The 7020 started right up, and the stopwatch worked immediately upon replacement of the battery, it only needs a pin to remount the bracelet onto the watch. It can also use a service and cleaning, as it hasn't been worn for years. The 7190 is a different story, as the watch did not start with the replacement of the battery, yet the stopwatch does work. I'll be taking it, along with the other two to my watch repair guy for service and sealing. I'd like to post pics once I'm able to figure out how.��

I didn't realize there was such a worldwide following for these watches, but based on their significance, I'm glad I kept mine!

Cheers,

AB

December 18, 2016 at 1:44 PM Flag Quote & Reply

winchman

Hello

I am trying to teach my self how to do basic watch repairs. I buy broken wantches from Car Boot sales and flea markets and see if I can repair them.

I wear a 7T92-0880 Crono as my daily watch.

I have just bought a Titanium SQ100  7T32 that wasnt working, it now works but stops at the same time every day?

I also have another withn the same movement thats dead so hoping to get them both running

December 19, 2016 at 2:06 PM Flag Quote & Reply

jmlz1987

Hello all,

Newbie to horology but am truly engrossed with the beauty of watches: quartz and automatics alike. 

My collection is small, contains some Seikos but not ones I dare mention by name here however. I am hoping in the next few years to change that and build up a suitable collection.

I was originally looking for an affordable birth year watch when I stumbled upon this forum. I have been trying to absorb as much as I can from all the knowledge posted here. And now, I am on the hunt for my own 7A38.

Pleasure to be here, thanks for having a read!

December 20, 2016 at 8:42 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Nikhil_mhatre

Hello. i am Nikhil based in India. Recently started learning about the seiko models and was awestruck when I saw the 7A28 in pics and you tube. Managed to acquire a 7A28 703A and absolutely love it. Glad to be part of this community and hope to learn something new abt it from u.

February 9, 2017 at 9:13 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Eric_NL

Hello all,

I'd like to introduce myself, Eric from the Netherlands. Until recently I haven't been much interested in watches, I didn't even wear one regularly for ten years or so, but since I bought a Seiko SKX007 last year I have become interested again. I have my mind set on a nice 7a28-7040 now, but I have concluded that this may take a while since there are not that many on the market.

Cheers,

Eric

February 26, 2017 at 4:56 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Yankee Rider

Hey all! I'm Ryley from Idaho. I've been a watch collector/flipper/whatever for a little while now, and I run one of the FB watch groups as well as a small YT channel. Someone recently suggested I try the 7A series chronos, as they're the best of both worlds from a movement durability perspective, as I normally collect exclusively mechanical watches. I found a 7A34-7010 for a decent price recently, and I've been in love ever since!

March 5, 2017 at 2:27 PM Flag Quote & Reply

jDurgam

Hello Everyone,

I'm Jonathan from Washington, DC. I've been a fan of Seiko since I was gifted my first Seiko Chronograph from my father back in 2007. I've never had any issues with it for the past 10 years and the movement durability is better than any of my Swiss Watches I've owned. I recently came across a Seiko 7A38-7029 and I am very much interested in adding that to my collection. The dark grey dial combined with the black sub-dials, white needles is just something to stare at and the bezel is just amazing. I still consider my self a newbie to horology, I'm very fascinated and eager to learn about these amazing watches.

April 6, 2017 at 1:45 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Johnny_E

Hello all... my name is John - resident in Northern Ireland and a long time Seiko fan. I think our paths crossed a few years back Paul.. on RLT's forum - when you helped me to get my 1st Seiko back up and running - a 1989 7T32. It's still going strong - and I have my 1st incoming 7A38 which should arrive in a few days time (the white faced 7A38-7280 over on TZ that sold last week).

So... no doubt this will cost me money!!.. but I do love my 80's/90's Seiko chronos. :D

April 16, 2017 at 8:32 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Welcome aboard, John. :)

I did vaguely remember our exchanges about your 7T32 on RLT, but I had to run a search to find the thread again:

http://www.thewatchforum.co.uk/index.php?/topic/48938 My Old Seiko Chrono. Bin It, Or Rescue It?

The thread goes back to November 2009, so I hope you'll forgive the slight memory lapse. Glad to hear it's still running. ;)

April 16, 2017 at 9:57 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Johnny_E

Seiko7A38 at April 16, 2017 at 9:57 AM

Welcome aboard, John. :)

I did vaguely remember our exchanges about your 7T32 on RLT, but I had to run a search to find the thread again:

http://www.thewatchforum.co.uk/index.php?/topic/48938 My Old Seiko Chrono. Bin It, Or Rescue It?

The thread goes back to November 2009, so I hope you'll forgive the slight memory lapse. Glad to hear it's still running. ;)

Thats it! My.. how time flies. Looking forward to receiving my first 7A38. Plenty of reading on here.. so I'll post up some pics when it arrives. I think I'll be needing a black face variant in due course!

April 16, 2017 at 10:16 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Barry_NJ

Hello All,

My name is Barry, I have what I think is a lovely Yema Chrono with a Seiko 7A38 movement. I'm not a watch-head by any stretch but I'd like to learn a bit more about this watch given to me some years ago by my father.

Thanks for allowing me to participate!

April 18, 2017 at 4:22 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Hi, Barry. Welcome aboard. :)

What's the Yema model number, stamped on the case-back ? If it is 7A38 (or should I correctly say V906) based it will begin N8 .....

PS - In case you hadn't noticed, there are plenty of topics about Yema N8's in this forum section. I'm a bit of a fan myself. :D

April 18, 2017 at 4:40 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Barry_NJ

Thanks for the welcome!

I don't have the model number handy, as the watch is currently out for repair, unsuccesfully for that matter.

Edit by Admin (25th April 2017 @ 09:00pm):  See Barry's new topic: My Yema N81W53 Chrono.

April 19, 2017 at 1:22 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Pip

Hi all,

Found this amazing resource while researching a 7A that I'm looking at, and recognise few good people from elsewhere too. I'm new but love learning and currently have more automatic than anything else. I've got some quartz Seikos of which my favourite is a V657 so far but looking to get my first 7A38 soon and trying to soak up information before pulling the trigger. And today I've learned that there is a lot more to learn!

April 21, 2017 at 6:37 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Yorkshiremadmick

Sorry Paul, NEVER saw this thread.

I'm Michael, got a few Seiko's two seiko 5's beaters, a 7A38-7280 white faced chrono currently not working, was a daily wearer so it's a beater I guess and a new to me incoming 7T92 condition needs repairing extent unknown (£55) I also am the owner of Two Rolex watches and a Lorus plus an old ladies Rolex. Can't get my head round the numbers.

Post edited by admin. Fixed that for you, Michael. ;)

April 26, 2017 at 6:07 PM Flag Quote & Reply

ReggieH

Hi, All--My name is Brian Donnell. I'm a 70-year-old retired letterpress printer living in Portland, Oregon, USA. There's a remote connection between printing and watches--Gutenberg was a goldsmith, and Ottmar Mergenthaler, the inventor of the Linotype machine, trained as a watchmaker.

I bought my first watch, a Seiko 5, in 2014. As I learned more, I became interested in 1970's Seiko quartz watches. Often these high-quality watches are available in good shape at prices that seem to me to be bargains. I suppose they are the watches I'd have been interested in--when they, and I, were new.

I want to thank Paul for making a sub-forum devoted to this narrow field of interest. I think the history of quartz movements is fascinating and too neglected.

Best wishes to all--ReggieH

May 1, 2017 at 12:56 PM Flag Quote & Reply

NoTimeToLose

Hi folks, I'm Clive from Melbourne (Australia, not Florida!).  I stumbled into the world of watches about a year ago, joined WUS, and have been doing my best impersonation of a sponge ever since.  Trying to make up for lost time, I guess!

I don't own any Seikos yet, unless you count the VK46 mecha-quartz movement in my Melbourne Watch Company Carlton.  I plan to rectify this dreadful state of affairs, of course...

May 14, 2017 at 7:53 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.