Seiko 7A38 - by the numbers

Subtitle

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > Sticky: Please introduce yourselves - by replying

Wasabibutler

Hi there guys

My name is Neil Butler. I am a helicopter pilot in the South African Air Force. I joined in 1998 and am currently based in Durban, South Africa. I have been issued with a Seiko 7A38-7070 by the SAAF, although it took me a while to get one. They are scarce at the moment. The SAAF doesn't issue them anymore so the few that are left are difficult to get hold of. I was lucky and a friend gave his back so I grabbed it. 

The SAAF also issued the 7A28 without the day/date but I was lucky to get a 38. Then I have four other watches.

A Seiko Chrono 7T62-0EB0 which I love. 

I also have a 7T32-7C60 which I bought years ago, but don't wear much anymore. More a dress watch. Still a nice watch though and love the colour scheme. 

Then I have two non Seiko watches. The first is Citizen Promaster that was a present from my dad when I received my wings so it's very special to me. Was my day to day watch for a long time so has seen a bit of wear and tear and needs a new battery. The second is a Jacques LeMans F1 that I have just purchased. 

March 22, 2014 at 5:41 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Welcome aboard Neil. Great first post !  Congratulations on getting the photo embedding right first time too ! 

PS - all you need now are a Seiko 7T34 Flightmaster; a Yema N8 Flygraf and Kamatz 518000 'Oscar Bravo' / 519000 'Tango Charlie'. 

March 22, 2014 at 6:11 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Dasher

Hello all.  My name is Dan, I live in Atlanta GA, and I collect (and attempt to service) Seiko divers and chronos and I bought this 7A38 a year or two ago for a song on the 'bay.  Finding the tech/user manual really helped me get this one back in shape.  I come here from the SCWF and the Wrist Sushi forum.

Here's my 7A38:

IMAG0794

March 26, 2014 at 11:06 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Welcome aboard, Dan. Funny you should mention Wrist Sushi - I signed up on there a few months back and made a couple of odd posts (one or two which got deleted) - seems they share a similar mentality of moderators. Been back a few times, but even the last time I signed on, a couple of weeks ago, there hadn't been a single post mentioning a 7A38 - at least not until this afternoon, that is.

http://wristsushi.proboards.com/post/39027/thread (WRUW Wednesday 3/26/14). We have a WRUW thread - it's on page 38 too. ;)

March 26, 2014 at 12:12 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Dasher

Yeah!  I wonder who that masked poster was!!  Thanks for the welcome, I look forward to scratching my 7A38 itch here on this forum.

D.

March 26, 2014 at 12:21 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Post Moved

Originally posted in the eBay section by Redrebel1999 on March 31, 2014 at 11:01 PM

Just thought I'd fess up to having bought the 7a38 7070 from the German guy on eBay based in Spain. It was advertised at â?¬399 Offered him â?¬300 and he accepted. For better or worseð??¬ - although must say I love the watch ð??? great forum tooð???

April 2, 2014 at 6:06 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Post Moved

Originally posted as a new thread entitled 'New Member' by Bernard on April 2, 2014 at 3:11 PM

Hello to all of you.

I'm Bernard, registered on several forums, like TZ UK, under that name. I'm working in the legal sector in the Netherlands and have been a watch collector for quite a few years now.

Currently, my collection is quite broad, several automatic Seiko watches (6138/6139, presmatic, Monaco etc.) but several swiss watches as well.

I happen to own a few 7A38 powered watches, which I have started to like more and more lately. To get to know them better, I decided to join this forum. After a lot of hassle (due to holidays, poor internet-connection, food poisoning etc. I didn't manage to complete my registration fast enough for several times... Oooops...) I recently - with a lot of help and patience from Paul, managed to register here.

I'm looking forward to learning a lot over here and hoping to be able to contribute to this forum!

April 2, 2014 at 6:09 PM Flag Quote & Reply

bl.dozier

New member here Hi to all the collectors. Buying my 4 watch first Seiko. It's on ebay right now the 7A38 stainless thats me with the $79.00 bid. 

My plans are to add an open lug to the case, as well as hit the case with some rustoleum 7772 model master racing orange,red, and gm tropical turquoise around the reset button housings. I will add a band strap a navy blue one velcro.

April 12, 2014 at 10:32 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Welcome aboard, Brian. :) Please accept my apologies for the delay in approving your membership / setting your access levels.

That's some fairly drastic plans you've made for modding your first Seiko 7A38. Hmm. :/

April 12, 2014 at 12:51 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Kinky

Morning all :)

Mick O'Kinky here (too complicated to explain the nickname, but nothing relating to what you might think) ;)

I've signed up because I'm on the lookout for a 7A28 or 7A38 with day/date and yellow face which will be my daily wearer (to replace my Omega and another Seiko).

In fact, what I'm after is identical to the site owners profile image.  But I need to swot up on exactly which it is that I'm after.  In fact, best to consider me as a Seiko numpty!

For reference, I'm UK-based, in very deepest Berkshire.

April 20, 2014 at 7:24 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Welcome aboard, Mark. :)

The watch in my avatar is the 'mythical' 7A38-701B Vulcan. I suspect there's a few others besides yourself who'd fancy one. ;)

April 21, 2014 at 4:17 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Kinky

Thanks for the link.  Very interesting reading. :) 

Although I have a vested interest in the Vulcan for other reasons, it's not why I want this one.  I want simply because it's stunning!

To be honest, it all started when I saw a pic of a 7A28-7040 and fell in love with it.  Then, whilst looking around, to read up on and possibly buy, I came across the yellow faced one.  And that was it. 8)

Although I have to say, I'd be more than happy with either.

April 21, 2014 at 8:06 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Would you like to expand on this: 'Although I have a vested interest in the Vulcan for other reasons' ? Are you referring to XH558 ? :|

BTW, the non-day / date 7A28 with the yellow dial can be as difficult to find, because it was a JDM (Japanese Domestic Market) model.

The case model is 7A28-710A. There's no dedicated topic / thread about it but you'll find plenty of references to it on the forum. ;)

April 21, 2014 at 10:03 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Alobar

Hello, my name is Uwe from Germany.

Since 1991, I have a Seiko quartz chronograph sports 100 CAL 7A38-704A. I bought the watch in Cape Town. My watch listed by far has the sea for the swim called. :o I wore the watch every day for 15 years. Then the bracelet broke. For 8 years, it is without a battery in the drawer. I'm trying to get it back on my wrist again. Sentimental memories 8) and my preferred look and feel on a watch.

The watch now has a new battery and runs the 4 stop functions properly, also.

Needed:

-new glass

-new housing gasket

-new bracelet

I hope it works out and ebay and Watchmaker play.

Regards

Uwe

April 22, 2014 at 4:57 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Stephen Foskett

Hello all! I'm glad to be here, though I don't (yet) have a Seiko Quartz chrono. I'm a lover of cool movements mainly - Seiko to Jaeger-LeCoultre to fantastic oddballs like the one depicted as my avatar photo!

I am the maintainer of Grail Watch, where I write about interesting watches I find online, as well as a big contributor at Watch-Wiki, which I'm mostly using to document my learning and discoveries. That's what lead me here: I was studying the Jaeger-LeCoultre Mecaquartz and of course that leads directly to Seiko's quartz chrono. So here I am!

Here are a few photos from my watch collection:

April 23, 2014 at 2:22 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Welcome aboard, Stephen. :)

Ref your: .... I was studying the Jaeger-LeCoultre Mecaquartz and of course that leads directly to Seiko's quartz chrono.

Indeed, our (not so) humble Seiko 7Axx's are mentioned in the same context as the J-LC Mecaquartz, thanks to two other Steve's:

Stephen Sugiyama and Steve Gurevitz, in his blog article from 2006: http://ninanet.net/watches/others13/Mediums/mseiko7a28.html

April 23, 2014 at 2:53 PM Flag Quote & Reply

mrwozza70

Hi all, I'm Brad and I'm a Seikoholic. :)  I've currently got a stable of 7 Seiko divers SKX007/009/A35; 6309-7049; 7548-7000; 7C43-7010; SBBN017. I've owned many more Seiko vintage and modern, auto, quartz, solar, some Chronographs in the past couple of years. I've recently become a little more discerning and focused my sights on all original wherever possible - except the odd mod to the modern SKXs like sapphire crystals and bezel swaps. I've decided through enjoying my Quartz divers that I would like to get a nice quartz Chrono.  I'm reading as much as I can of your posts and blogs to get a better understanding of what I want to go after. As of this evenings research I think I would like to go after a diver style 7a28-7040 or 7a28-7049 but I've already seen some stunning 7a38 variants of yours which are more of a rarity in most cases. I look forward to learning more, sharing what I can and generally enjoying discussions about these cracking timepieces. So TTFN and please feel free to try and persuade me I need a different 7a28/38 in my life!

May 11, 2014 at 7:33 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Then you're in good company. :lol: Welcome aboard, officially, Brad. ;)

Nothing wrong (at all) with a 7A28-7040 / -7049 as you first choice of 7Axx Diver. They were a very popular seller worldwide (there was also a subtly different JDM version of the 7A28-7040, as you may be aware) so there are always plenty of used examples popping up on eBay (and Yahoo Japan). Although I major in 7A38's, I will admit to owning one 7A28 - it's a fairly tidy example of the 7A28-7040. :)

I bought it a couple of years ago, as the basis for an experiment. I actually prefer the case shape of the 7A28-7040 to its equivalent 7A38-7070 sibling and had planned to try to shoehorn the 7A38-7070's 709L dial and day / date movement into a 7A28-7040 case. The project is stalled at the moment, for reasons I won't go into here.

I'd always recommend to any potential purchaser to buy the best example they can afford. One problem area with these 7A28 / 7A38 divers had been the lack of suitable replacement bezel inserts. Thanks to input from members of this forum, Harold Ng a.k.a Yobokies now produces an accurate appearing repro' insert. 

May 12, 2014 at 5:04 AM Flag Quote & Reply

mrwozza70

Thanks for the welcome... I have to disclose my task has now become much harder as I've also purchased a Precista PRS-17C with the ETA 251.262 calibre :-)

I now seek a Seiko quartz chronograph to displace the PRS from favour!

i'm glad that I have other pieces to keep the hunger at bay so I can take my time researching and hunting the right piece.

May 13, 2014 at 5:45 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

You'll find we even have a thread on the subject of the 251.262. 8)

http://www.seiko7a38.com/apps/forums/topics/show/9014155-eta-cal-251-252-262-272-the-swiss-answer-to-the-7axx

Feel free to write about yours there. ;)

May 13, 2014 at 5:47 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.