Seiko 7A38 - by the numbers

Subtitle

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > Sticky: Please introduce yourselves - by replying

magu

Greetings folks

Found this forum on several occasions whilst researching several seiko models during my education phase as i'm a comparitive newcomer to the world of being an WIS...it all started with a desire for a 1964 seiko silverwave diver which i now have as a project and along the way buying job lots i seem to have accumulated several seiko chronographs (couple of 7T 32's and a 7T34 flighmaster all working but in need of tlc) which are growing on me daily,along with seiko kinetic divers,so thought it may be beneficial to join the forum properly to hopefully enhance my knowledge and potentially contribute some of my own eventually

My kindest regards to all

magu

May 14, 2014 at 7:19 PM Flag Quote & Reply

tikkathreebarrels

Hi guys, noob Pete here. For the past ten years or more I've worn this 7T34-6B00 Flightmaster sliderule as my daily wear.

Having very recently discovered that it's a good thing to own more than one watch I have accumulated a number of Seikos.

The first 7T27-7A40 I'm told is Vietnam War era and tbh I'm not hugely fond of.

it.    

Then there are some Seiko 5 automatics which you guys might not be impressed by, a gold tone 7A28-7029, a stainless / white octagonal-shaped 7A38-6080, white circular 7T92-0CC0, a solar powered V172-0AC0 (chronographs ARE my favourite) . 

May 27, 2014 at 9:19 AM Flag Quote & Reply

tikkathreebarrels

Now I've discovered that I don't know how to delete photos from posts!!! Oh no - a rubbish first post! I'm doomed!

May 27, 2014 at 9:23 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Why would you want do delete any photos from your post, Pete ? :/ For a newb's first effort that looks pretty good to me. ;)

Dunno where you got this bit from though: The first 7T27-7A40 I'm told is Vietnam War era and tbh I'm not hugely fond of.

I suspect that may have been a bit of 'Military' B/S added by the eBay seller for good measure. :roll:

The Vietnam War ended in 1975. The world's first analogue quartz chronograph, the Seiko 7A28, wasn't launched until 1983 and the 7Axx Series were superceded by the 7Txx series from 1989 onwards. I'd guess from the 'SUS' dial design, your 7T27 is actually early 1990's. Give me the first two digits of the six-digit serial number and I'll tell you exactly when it was manufactured.

May 27, 2014 at 11:52 AM Flag Quote & Reply

tikkathreebarrels

An angel has edited my post! Now to discover how to delete photos....

May 27, 2014 at 11:53 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Gaz.

Hi, I'm Gareth Roberts, a Mechanical Engineer from Selby, North Yorkshire in the UK. I currently own 2 7A28s... 

I found this site whilst researching the numbers on my caseback of the Gen 1, which i bought because I was after a Birthyear Seiko (mine is an '89 issued watch) and have always been fascinated by the RAF (I almost joined when I was 18!). I do also own a few older Seikos, in 6138 & 6139 guise, I'm on SCWF on the same username.

May 27, 2014 at 1:35 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Welcome aboard, Gareth. Slight problem with your second photo (not sure what happened), so I took the liberty of editing / re-linking it from your Photobucket (the same image you'd posted on SCWF a week ago). Hope that was the one you'd meant to post. ;)

May 27, 2014 at 2:02 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Gaz.

Seiko7A38 at May 27, 2014 at 2:02 PM

Welcome aboard, Gareth. Slight problem with your second photo (not sure what happened), so I took the liberty of editing / re-linking it from your Photobucket (the same image you'd posted on SCWF a week ago). Hope that was the one you'd meant to post. ;)

Strange, it was showing fine for me! But yes, that was the one.

I also note we're both canvas strap haters ;)

May 27, 2014 at 2:45 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

You read my post then. :lol:

PS - This is what I was seeing in place of your second photo:

(as opposed to this)   

Which is very odd in the circumstances, as (according to the HTML) you were correctly linking both images from your Photobucket. :/

May 27, 2014 at 3:05 PM Flag Quote & Reply

tikkathreebarrels

tikkathreebarrels at May 27, 2014 at 9:23 AM

Now I've discovered that I don't know how to delete photos from posts!!! Oh no - a rubbish first post! I'm doomed!

I'd like to know how to delete photos so that when I post bad ones I can be rid of them without the whole world knowing that they exist hahahaha! (Such as the second one of the "Vietnam War era" and the upside down photo further on.                                                                                                           Now here's something else you can possibly help me with: when I reach the end of typing a block of text and press the return key in order to start a new paragraph, the cursor hops up to the top of the page? I've then got to cut and paste...                                                                                                   And I'll need to go back in another forum to see if the "Vietnam" comment is either b/s or a mis-remembrance on my part. Now to move these two paragraphs...       The only way I can create new paragraphs is by filling the preceding line with spaces.:-(

May 28, 2014 at 12:55 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Pete. If you don't mind, I'd rather you didn't delete photos from your posts. There is a way of doing it, but in doing so, what you'll likely achieve is making more work for me to clean up. As you may have gathered, I like to keep the forum looking tidy. Over-obsessively so. One thing that annoys me intensely is when contributors sometimes thoughtlessly delete or move photos around between folders in their Photobucket account, which they'd previously linked in forum posts, leaving a place-holder space-ball, like this.

There is a classic example of this at the top of page 2 of this thread. All that's left is a photo of Woody's hairy wrist. :roll: Now I could go in and belatedly re-edit his post, removing the links to his deleted photos, but then the post wouldn't make much sense any more.

I'll try to talk you through putting these photo's 'right' - and reply to your second question later, when I've got more time. ;)

PS - With regard to your:

And I'll need to go back in another forum to see if the "Vietnam" comment is either b/s or a mis-remembrance on my part.

If the seller falsely made any alleged claim to a military connection for your 7T27, I'd have thought it would have been 'Gulf War Era'.

You'll notice in my previous reply I'd used the term SUS. There's an explanation (of sorts) in this old WUS thread (dating from 2009).

Apart from the 'Strong and Simple' ethos, a commonly used design motif of SUS chronograph models was over-lapping sub-dials.

May 28, 2014 at 5:33 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

In situations like these, I've often wondered if it might be worth creating a 'Test Post Area' forum section to allow 'Newbs' to have a play around (and make their first mistakes there), rather than 'mess up' their first pukka forum posts, particularly in an existing long-running thread in a 'Public' section, like this one. I guess it's a bit late now. :/

I've written something along these lines in other threads, but it won't hurt to repeat myself here.

Webs forum software is pretty basic (minor understatement), compared to the likes of phpBB / vBulletin, etc. I ended up using it by accident / default. This site was originally just intended to be a Blog; the forum module was added as something of an after-thought. 

Unlike most proper forum software, there is no 'Post Preview' facility. You just hit 'Post Reply', then (as a normal forum Member) have a brief 10 minute editing window in which to clean up any mistakes you may have made (or delete it entirely). I think 10 minutes is far too short. If I could access that set of parameters on the Control Panel, I'd have changed it to a more sensible 30 minutes - 2 years ago.

Instead, what I tend to do is help members by cleaning up / re-formatting their posts for them - as I did with your first one, Pete. ;)

As Site Owner / Admin, I have an unlimited time-out editing window, and can edit anybody's posts besides my own, at any time. 8)

As you can see, I've just left this post unfinished, gone away for 20 minutes to get a bite of lunch and come back to re-edit it again. :P

Regarding your current 'Return' / 'New paragraph' problem, to be honest, I have absolutely no idea what it is causing it. Webs software appears to operate differently (varying levels of non-functionality) depending which browser the poster is using: IE, Firefox or Chrome.

What I would ask is that you please stop inserting spaces (in an attempt to force a new paragraph), because that 'workaround' patently isn't working - as shown by your preceding post (which I'm not going to bother to attempt to edit). :roll:

Going back 9 months or so, Webs had a major problem with posts timing out. There's a thread about it here in this forum section.

To save posters losing their potential contribution, I suggested to a couple of people, including member Rob Benham; it might be an idea to compose their posts in Word, then copy and paste the content into their post. Please don't even think about going there

I'm not sure what version of Word that Rob was using, but when on frequent occasion I came to edit his posts (often for completely irrelevant off-topic content) when viewed in HTML (that I sometimes have to resort to using for editing) it was absolutely horrendous - and I'm talking about having to delete hundreds of lines of (hidden) coding from a single post. :o

By the way, I just noticed something I'd missed, when I re-formatted your first intro' post, Pete. :roll:

Scroll down your photos to the join between the two images of your 7T27 'SUS'. Can you spot 'it' ? :lol:

May 28, 2014 at 8:08 AM Flag Quote & Reply

saltddirk

Hello,

I have been emailing with Seiko7A38 for a while now  and thought it would perhaps be better to properly introduce myself to the rest of you.

My name is Dirk and I am from Belgium. My first watch ever was a Gigandet, which my dad bought the day I was born, 50 odd years ago... Some may say that this makes the watch older than myself but then I was not conceived that day either…:)

When I graduated from Nautical college in the early 80's and started sailing I needed a watch to time my star fixes (which was still the only way to get an accurate position in those days) and bought a Seiko 7A28-7040, while the ship was in Japan. The seller had it on display on the street walk in Shiba, in one of those carousel things. Not sure if he had a sale on or so, but it was the only watch that catches my fancy, it jumped right out. We went for a few more shops I remember looking at a Seiko Navigator as well but in the end I returned to the first shop and bought it. Its price was all the disposable cash I had then (we could draw only a limited amount of our wages while on call in port) Still money well spend!

This watch has served me well over the years but eventually fell out of grace and one day the bracelet broke and she fell in the cargo hold. She did however continue working for a while after this. Still eventually she ended up in the watch drawer with the rest of my now growing collection.

A while ago I brought her to a watchmaker in Belgium to see if she could be repaired and he claimed that there are no longer parts available, Thinking I might have chosen the wrong place to have her serviced, an highstreet watch seller and not a service center in se, I started googling watch sites to find some more information, thinking that i could eventually buy a working movement and install it in the old case. But that was as far as I got and once more she was sadly forgotten about.

Then last week I bought myself a very nice Hamilton watch but believing it too precious to wear at work I also bought a 7T92 off Ebay to be used as “beater” and as always, once paid, in the "this might interest you" suggestions there was also this 7A38-7270 for sale, which looks very much like my old 7A28-7040 except for the bezel (and the day date complication). So in a spur, out of nostalgia, I put a bid in. This time however I was determined to also get my old 7A28-7040 going and where better to find information about them than on this site.

May 30, 2014 at 2:12 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Welcome aboard officially, Dirk. :)

May 30, 2014 at 3:48 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Phil

Hi I'm Phil, became addicted about 5yrs ago and this is my collection up to now.

I have another black Pulsation but haven't got a picture yet. You will have noticed that I haven't yet got a 7A28 in my collection, well its on it's way from Japan, I think they're great and have been after one for a while, I'll share a piccy when she comes. Only just found this site and look forward to educating myself here

Thanks Phil

July 12, 2014 at 2:58 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Phil

Thanks for that Paul

July 12, 2014 at 3:38 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Thanks for taking the trouble to write an intro' post Phil - even if we had to 'tweak' it a bit. ;)

July 12, 2014 at 4:21 PM Flag Quote & Reply

aubergine

Hi I'm Aubergine and new to the world of watchs.  I inherited a watch during the spring and that piqued my interest in the hobby.  I'd never really owned anything that was of heirloom quality and now I'd like to learn more about Seiko's.  I enjoy learning about mechanical things in general, so I'm keen to read the forums here.  I live in the USA, where it seems like watches are quite abundant, but I think I'll be restrained in buying timepieces until I learn more.  Our family has a range of broken cuckoo clocks as well that I would like to get sorted out first.  Thanks for all the information that has been shared here.

--

Seiko 7A28-7029

Citizen 4004-52E

July 14, 2014 at 4:28 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Naughtilus

Hello folks.

As a kid my first watch was a Seiko 5 bought by my dad so we have matching watches. Since then I owned several Seikos and one of those is the vintage 7a38-727a. I joined the forum to learn more about the 7a38 series, big thanks to Paul for creating and maintining this website for us.

Best regards from sunny Macedonia,

Vladimir

July 28, 2014 at 8:23 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Welcome aboad Vladimir. :) You had me worried when I saw your profile comment. :P

July 28, 2014 at 8:27 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.