Seiko 7A38 - by the numbers

Subtitle

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > Sticky: Please introduce yourselves - by replying

Henk Hoving

Hi Guys,

New member here, I came across this website / forum when I asked about a certain model number on TZ-UK after seeing a pic in a Seiko thread. A quick Google on that model number brought me right here..., that model number was 7A38-7190. In my humble opinion these 7A38 chrono's are of the best looking within the Seiko range, after a quick view of this forum I came to the conclusion that the -7290 or the -7060 would be nice to have as well...

So..., I started browsing the site to gather more info about these certain watches, and registered to gain access to the forum.

I'm Dutch, into Oil&Gas, and a watch addict in general for over 25 years, my main brands are Rolex and Seiko, because IMO these two brands have a lot in common (except price I'm afraid...). 

August 13, 2014 at 9:03 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Welcome aboard, Henk. :) Thanks for taking the trouble to write an introduction. ;)

August 13, 2014 at 9:21 AM Flag Quote & Reply

yonsson

Hi all,

new member (from Sweden) here as of a few hours. I just bought a house, so my watch box isn't that full at the moment. I have a few Omegas my father left me, a g-shock (of course), a digital Casio (my first watch), and these:

6105-8000 from 1968

Grand Seiko SBGM001 

I recently sold my Zenith el primero to fund the new Grand Seiko quartz diver SBGX117. It will arrive in September. Since I sold the el primero, I figured I need a new chronograph, and I stumbled upon the 7A38-7020. I love the aesthetics of it, so I've been on the hunt for a good month after one. Yesterday I finally got a reply for a WTB, and now I have one incoming. It's supposed to be in good condition, so it will be fun to know what you all think of it when it arrives. In the meantime, I'll be reading up on the history and different versions of 7A38. I just love Seiko and their history, regarding quartz in particular. The WIS community in general and the Swedish WIS community in particular is very sceptic of quartz watches, but I think good quartz watches definitely deserves a few places in the wath box, especially when it comes to historically significant watches (twin quartz, superior quartz, 7A28/38 ), and HAQ in general.

Looking forward to learning a lot more!

August 13, 2014 at 9:50 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Welcome aboard, Johan. :) Thank you also for taking the trouble to make an introduction. 

Though I don't know about that 'outside scope' 6105 diver piccy.  .... I may have to make it disappear.  LOL ! :lol:

I hope your first incoming 7A38 doesn't disappoint.

These certainly are rather special quartz chrono's - once you get to know them. Seiko have never made anything like them since.

August 13, 2014 at 12:05 PM Flag Quote & Reply

yonsson

Thanks for the welcome! I will keep everything strictly on topic from now on, I just wanted to give an introduction longer than 10 words. :) I just realized the seller is a member on this forum as well. I guess the internet is not so big after all. I wrote "reply to a wtb" to keep it simple, but the story is a bit more complex. I'll share it in the incoming thread once the watch arrives.

August 13, 2014 at 12:14 PM Flag Quote & Reply

noe moreno

Hi my name is Noe and I am from Mexico i like seikos 7A48-xxxx models

August 18, 2014 at 11:52 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Rogus

Hello all

My name's Rog.

My interest in Seiko comes from the watch my mum gave my dad as an engagement present back in the mid-70's. I always loved that watch and a few years back started collecting a few automatic seikos.

From the auto divers watches my interest spread to the 7a's. I recently bought my first - 7a28-7070 (not a 7a38 but hopefuly that isn't too frowned upon in here) and am looking forward to gaining some knowledge to give it some well deserved TLC. 

See you around!

August 30, 2014 at 5:29 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

That 7A28-7070 is a comparatively rare 7A28 variant, Rog (say compared to the more common silvery-grey dialed 7A28-707A / -7079 and the all-black JDM 7A28-7110). It may not be a 7A38, but (like your intro') it's as good a place as any to start. 

August 30, 2014 at 5:53 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Rogus

Thanks Paul - that's interesting. I'm extremely pleased with it. When I saw it advertised the hands were all out of sync which I learned on here is a result of an historic battery change - easily reset when it arrived. I cleaned a huge amount of crud out of the bracelet and it's come up like new. Will set about obtaining the right replacement crystal and tools to fit.... off to a different thread to get to get technical soon...

August 30, 2014 at 9:12 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Benoize

Hi all,

Sorry for the double post, but Paul reminded me that there was an official way of introducing oneself to this forum.

So, here goes! My very first watch that I got, was when graduated from high school. It was a Seiko 7A28 7040. I have had many watches since but this one has always stayed with me and occasionally I don it again in honouring my folks who gave me this watch. It was a thing of beauty when it came out and it is a thing of beauty now. It hasn't lost its appeal!

Hope to read/see more of this amazing watch on this forum!

Regards,

Benoize

September 14, 2014 at 2:24 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Just trying to keep the forum tidy and well organized, Benoit. :P

Thanks for taking the trouble to write an intro' post (many people don't bother) and then re-posting it here. Much appreciated. ;)

September 14, 2014 at 3:24 PM Flag Quote & Reply

PaulKendal
Hi All My name's Paul, and I'm interested in getting a 7a28, so this forum seemed an essential resource to browse. Ok, I'll start again. Hi, my name's Paul. As a little lad I was always impressed by Pogues, and later by 7a28-7030s. I didn't know that's what they were, of course, but simply loved the dial colour as it stood out from the crowd. Years passed. About ten years ago the need to replace my only watch (an almost indestructible Seiko quartz) resulted in me developing an interest in watches once again. In particular my interest lately has been moving towards HEQs. I've got a lovely Seiko SBQJ017, and recently got a very loud Bulova with a sweep seconds hand. I've also got a few automatics, including a Seiko Alpiniste and one of Eddie's watches from TZ-UK. So I guess it was inevitable that I'd start looking at 7a28/7a38s. I'm sure I'll you'll all sympathise with my lapses from good taste in watches over the years, as I now seem to be coming back to the fold! All the best, Paul
September 15, 2014 at 5:01 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Welcome back to the fold, Paul - from another Paul. As I wrote in my invitation message, our name is Legion, for we are many. :lol:

I guess you're the same Paul.in.Kendal I replied to in this recent thread on TZ-UK ;)

Something I omitted to mention there is that the chrono' hands on that over-priced example are badly faded to yellow.

They would originally have been orange (which doesn't make them any easier to see against that 'Pogue' coloured dial).

It's not unusual in this model - but if you're prepared to be patient, I'm sure a better example will come along - at a decent price.

September 15, 2014 at 6:33 AM Flag Quote & Reply

PaulKendal
Aye, that was me! Patience is my middle name, so I'm perfectly happy to sit and wait for a good'un. In the meantime, I'll have a browse on your excellent forum - cheers Paul!
September 15, 2014 at 8:22 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Frdwrd
Hi all, My name is James. I recently moved from the States to Hokkaido, Japan. I don't have Internet at home yet, so I'm confined to mobile for now. Please forgive any typos or terseness. I got my first watch, a Vostok Amphibia, as a gift about 7 years ago, but only in the last couple years picked up the horological hobby. I recently saw the 7A38 on another watch forum, and fell in love. I've been looking at them on ebay and Japan's Yahoo auctions, but am rather wary of Frankens. I heard this was the place to go to learn to spot them. I have at least some grasp of Japanese, so if anyone needs help navigating yahoo options or Seiko hobby sites, please let me know.
September 15, 2014 at 8:32 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Welcome aboard James.

I think we should be able to help allay any fears you have about Frankens (or otherwise messed about with watches).

There are a number of suitably titled threads in the eBay section of the forum in which I flag them up, notably this one:

http://www.seiko7a38.com/apps/forums/topics/show/7172454 Heads Up on yet another 7A38 Franken(s) - Part 2

If you think there's something I may have missed - just ask the question. Start a new topic to do so, if you wish ....

September 16, 2014 at 4:30 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Kristo

Residing in eastern Canada I am in the fine arts business Oil paintings watercolors etchings etc pass through my hands on a daily basis, on a good day at least! I also have an interest and limited knowledge of antiques and fine objects d’art. I am defiantly not a watch collector or a collector of any sorts for that matter however recently with a little more time on my hands and the need of a new watch I came across the Seiko 7a28-7039 on one of my many internet excursions and for some reason was absolutely fascinated by it, and still am. The more I read about the piece the more interested I became. Now not only do I wish to purchase an example of this fine looking piece I want to be able to look after it , to cherish it even. Gosh am I beginning to sound like a watch enthusiast? Heaven forbid! All roads lead to Rome and so here I am knocking on your door behind which lies I am sure the temple of enlightenment (at least regarding this series of watches) and many enjoyable hours of reading , usually late night.

October 21, 2014 at 3:06 PM Flag Quote & Reply

69ChevelleSS

Hi All,

New to this forum but not to vintage Seikos.

I have 3 7A28s in my modest collection.  Two were gifts from my parents back in the '80s and the other was my Dad's watch that I inherited when he passed.  I've also got a few vintage chronos and some divers.  I like mechanicals as well as quartz Seikos.

So here are pics of my 7A28s:

This one was a gift from my Mom and Dad when I graduated college.  From November '83.  I need to find an original bracelet for this one!

Also from November '83 is this 7049 which my parents gave me when the stem from the 6139-6005 that my Dad got as a birthday present in November '72 broke.  He had given it to me years before when he got something newer and I wore it all through high school.  This one still has the original bracelet.  It had been replaced but I was lucky in that I had kept it in an old box and found it in the garage while looking for something else.

And this one is the cream of the crop.  My Dad's 7089 Titanium.  I do have the original bracelet but it's stashed away as I'm fearful of wearing it.  It has a weak link and I'd hate to lose it or the watch if it broke.  I'd love to find a spare link or two (one to replace the weak one and one to allow my larger wrist to fit comfortably) but then again I realize how hard these are to find which is next to impossible.  I've even thought about trying to buy another example of the watch to harvest links but they hardly ever come up for sale.

I hope to spend time here and learn more about these great old Seikos.

November 10, 2014 at 2:42 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Welcome aboard, Bob. Thanks for taking the time to write an introduction.  I trust you'll find the time you spend here profitable.

November 11, 2014 at 1:06 AM Flag Quote & Reply

VK Boss SRB

Hello folks,

My name is Vasilije, I am from Serbia and I love Seiko watches mostly because my father and grandfather owned variety of models and types.

I am into chronographs, and my story about 7A38 began recently, when I found one on a watch-trading site. I liked it on a very first glance so I've decided to buy it amazingly cheap (guy asked 30EUR for it)

Watch is in great condition, battery was weak and also a  glass was lightly scratched so I've replaced it - and that is it.

I am really looking forward to expanding my 7a28/38/48 collection.

December 7, 2014 at 7:23 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.