Seiko 7A38 - by the numbers

Subtitle

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > Sticky: Please introduce yourselves - by replying

Riba

Tom from Croatia, but relocated to Kuwait a while ago. Didn't care about watches for more than 25 years and didn't wear one, but my interest in vintage technology in general got me interested in horological history. Tried automatics, digitals, even tuning fork mechanisms and finally realized that quartz movement is not a bogey man as it tends to be portrayed, especially one with a history and longevity such is the one in Seiko 7Axx. And so I came to realize that it is the perfect combination of precision, low maintenance, style and history. I am somehow leaning towards a Yacht Timer as I am a fan of off-beat designs.

Now I only need to find one for a sensible price, and in the mean time I plan to get myself educated.

See you around!

May 26, 2017 at 6:13 AM Flag Quote & Reply

James Sack

This is James from NC. Been a Seikoholic for a while now and have fallen in love with the 7A38. I figured this would be the best place to learn more about the small details of the watch and have access to 7A38 collectors experts. Looking forward to growing my collection, but need to start with the first one.

May 29, 2017 at 12:31 PM Flag Quote & Reply

tropical fan

Hey there,

Just joined and wanted to introduce myself.

My name is Joe from the UK and currently and owner of a military issued Gen 2 I recently picked up:

Glad to have found this Forum and hope to contribute moving forward for sure.

Many thanks for the opportunity to join.

May 30, 2017 at 8:08 AM Flag Quote & Reply

spvw

Hello.  I'm Simon.  In London, UK.  Have recently started pulling on the thread that is 7aXX chronographs.  I've only got one 7a28 at the moment but also some other Seikos (reissued Rider's chronos; titanium 7T62).  Looking forward to learning from the incredible resource that is this site.

All the best

June 19, 2017 at 6:15 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Barryw

Hi all. Newbie here.

Been on other forums for quite a while. Spent far too much money of watches over the years - mainly Seiko and Citizens.

In the days before the internet , I used to like the brochures they put out (still do really). I recall a series of 3 that Seiko did - 3 pages, fold out A5 size ish. One green, one red, one blue. I still have them somewhere. The blue one (i think ) had one page with 2 chronographs on it. One black and red, one white and blue.

The white and blue became a mini grail - the 7a38-6060. Until the week before last - when the opportunity arose to acquire a new old stock one from overseas - for a price that pleased me somewhat. 

Ever since pushing the buy button, it had that too-good-to-true feeling - and i was a little anxious to see if it actually turned up. And yesterday it did indeed turn up. And chuffed i am.

Original box and outer sleeve, hangtag, sticker on case back, instructions - all appears to work well. The strap isnt original - but is a nice notched swim-safe Seiko item.

Whilst awaiting delivery, i did what i usually dont- and looked around the net for info on the model. And came across this place. So er hi.

Photos will follow.

And I will also get round to posting my 7T32's and 7T59's at some stage.

June 29, 2017 at 9:48 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Kieron

Sorry about that, tried to edit a pre-emptive button press but ran out of time. Anyhow, nice to meet everyone, I've been around watch forums for years and may know some members on here and hoping to meet many more.

Kind regards, Kieron

August 4, 2017 at 8:26 PM Flag Quote & Reply

James In London

Hello All;

I am James, a watch writer based in London, collected watches for about 30 years and have around 50 Seiko pieces in my collection, including several 7A28s, mostly the Guigiaro models but a couple of military pieces as well. Whilst I appreciate mechanical horology, I am not one of the so called 'Purists' who despises quartz technology. Rather the opposite, I consider it the only significant improvement in timekeeping in the 20th century.

September 13, 2017 at 11:46 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Welcome aboard, James. Honoured to be able to count you as a member of this little forum, Sir. :)

September 13, 2017 at 12:18 PM Flag Quote & Reply

James In London

I am collecting two of my 7A28s today from Seiko UK where they have just been serviced, one of them is rather unusual and I will post images tonight.

September 15, 2017 at 9:21 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Ville Korpela
Hi all! I have been collecting watches for a just a few years. Started from "fashion" quartz then to more proper brands, citizen, casio etc. Last year bought my first automatic seiko and after that byued few more... now i have been looking for a chrono-seiko and fell in love with vintage designs of 7a38 family, that's why i'm here...
September 26, 2017 at 3:32 AM Flag Quote & Reply

StingyBeanCur

Hello everyone,
Name's Bert. Been reading the posts from this site and learned a lot even before I registered. Thank you very much for the insights provided.  I may not contribute as much for as I've yet to acquire my own 7A38 series watch (and unfortunately, am also a bit of a lurker by nature), but I hope you'll all put up with me.

Best regards to all :)

October 17, 2017 at 11:44 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Pablo Estrada

Hi all,

I only have a few Seiko models but have definitely been attracked to the 7A28/38 series. I’ve already learned quite a bit just reading the posts here — thanks to everyone who’s shared their knowledge.

Pablo

December 7, 2017 at 12:39 AM Flag Quote & Reply

ber

Hi all,

I’m a watch lover from Taipei, Taiwan. I have a somewhat eclectic collection thus far, a Citizen Chronomaster, Gshock gw 5000 and a Seiko kinetic Landmaster. As you can see I have a weak spot for durable, accurate watches and that has led me to the 7a38. In the short time I’ve been here, I’ve been stunned by the generosity and the depth of knowledge shared. I look forward to learning from you all.

Best regards.

December 13, 2017 at 10:17 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Octarine

Hi all, I've posted a bunch but forgot to check in here...

My name is Mike, I live in Chicago and I have a small but growing Seiko collection. Started out with a 6139-6005 blue dial. I really like chronos and am planning on having an example of each of the significant Seiko chrono calibers. Gonna save the super expensive auto ones for after I win the lottery :)

January 7, 2018 at 7:49 PM Flag Quote & Reply

hasnon

Hey everyone.

Likewise, forgot to introduce myself. My name is Hanson, a new watch enthusiast from Melbourne, Australia. Only recently started getting into watch collecting and have increased my collection from the one my dad bought me in high school to 8 pieces, half of which are Seiko.

Am really delving deeply into vintage pieces and an increasing appetite for learning more about the movements and how to service and clean them.

Have just purchased my first 7Axx with a JDM 7A28-701A and hope to complement it with a 7A38 and who knows what then.

Loving the forums Paul, thank you so much for this treasure trove of information. I hope to learn a lot.

January 8, 2018 at 10:35 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Adamsdad

Hello everyone,

I feel like I'm at Seiko Anonymous.  My name is Brian and I have a Seiko addiction.

I have been browsing the forum for about a year.  I'm trying to absorb as much info as I can.

I have four 7A28's and four 7A38's.  Searching the web daily for these watches has taken over my life!

I love reading about,  looking and being able to find 7A's.

Thanks to everyone who has contributes to this forum and

thanks to Paul who has made me aware of small and sometimes large details I hadn't noticed before perusing the forum.  

January 9, 2018 at 11:24 PM Flag Quote & Reply

dmb359

Hello everyone, the name is Darren.  On other watch sites with the same username.  I've been looking around for a 7a38-7020, and came across this site.  Good place to do a little research and hopefully find a watch.

Current collection hovers around 15 watches, from a cheap Casio up to a Vacheron.  Love them all.

February 10, 2018 at 11:34 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Thegreger
Hi everybody! Simon here, new user from Sweden. I started developing a mild obsession with old Seikos a few weeks ago (mainly the day date ones to start with), and my first two watches are currently being shipped to me. I haven't got a 7a38 one yet, but it's only a matter of time!
February 18, 2018 at 5:18 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Thegreger

Seiko7A38 at February 18, 2018 at 5:53 AM

Simon.

I appreciate your keeness to post an intro', but please could you complete your profile without further delay. That way your posts might show up as something other than 'anonymous'.

Sorry about that! By the way, I don't think that I can find a link anywhere to the forum rules? Could you point me in the right direction? Simon
February 18, 2018 at 6:04 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

There's really only one important golden rule - and you just broke it Simon. :roll:

Sticky: PLEASE - Don't quote me !! PLEASE READ IMPORTANT UPDATES !

There's a few more pointers here: Not so much Rules as Guidelines ....

(Plus it's polite to wait until your membership is fully approved before posting).

February 18, 2018 at 6:26 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.