Seiko 7A38 - by the numbers

Forums

Forum Home > 7A38-xxxx Model Specific Area > 7A38-6109 SAA114J - Mid-size Gold-plated 'Blingy Diver' (US market model)

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

I think I can safely state, without fear of contradiction, that the 7A38-6109 SAA114J was a designated US market model only.

Allow me to explain.

In Seiko's nomenclature of the time, a '9' on the end of a case model code (as opposed to a '0') usually specified a US version.

Take for example the familiar all-stainless taupe grey-faced 7A38-702x - the one with the angular case and twelve-sided bezel.

In Europe it was sold as the 7A38-7020 (sales code SAA009J), but for the USA, it was designated the 7A38-7029 (SAA013J).

Apart from the second languages on their day wheels and case-back stampings, they are pretty much otherwise identical.

Another better comparison would be the two-tone silver-grey faced 7A38-7060, which was sold in Europe as SAA016J. The equivalent US market model was the 7A38-7069 (SAA028J), which not only had a slightly different dial and hands, but came on a completely different two-tone bracelet with gold-plated link centre sections and clasp - oviously 'blinged up' specifically for the US market.

What is different about the 7A38-6109, is that there doesn't ever appear to have been a -6100 version. One doesn't exist on Seiko's database. Google 7A38-6100 and the only reference you're likely to find, is where I made a 'typo' in a post on the RLT watch forum ! There is sadly some 7Axx data missing from Seiko Oceania's database. I discovered a while ago, that where a model number or parts information is missing, sometimes you can find it on Jules Borel's database. Indeed, if you run a case number search on 7A38-6100 on Borel's, it will return some parts data - but nothing like what they have against the 7A38-6109 - and unusually for them, no sales code. So I remain very sceptical about it's existence.

Please excuse the lengthy preamble, but I haven't quite finished yet. I accidentally discovered, a while back, that Seiko appear to have re-used a few of their 7A38 case designs - particularly from the 7A38-6xxx range, in other quartz analogue non-chronograph watches. Some of them bear a remarkable resemblence to their 7A38 siblings. I'll go on to mention them as I cover those other models later.

Here is a 7A38-6109 - actually a photo from the eBay listing where I bought my own first example in January 2010:

Here's a photo of a two-tone 5H23-6B80 which appeared a month later on eBay Germany, in February 2010:

It's the only one I've ever seen. However, if you run a search on 5H23-6B80 on Seiko's database, there were three versions of it -

All stainless with a black dial; the two-tone white dial version above, and an all-over gold-plated version - just like the 7A38-6109 !

The gold tone version of the 5H23-6B80 uses exactly the same part number bracelet - Z1473G as the 7A38-6109, incidentally.

What I was hoping to find, when I ran those searches was a 5H23-6B89 US market model. No such '9' suffix exists. It also makes one wonder if Seiko had chosen to produce an all stainless black-dialed 7A38-6100, like the 5H23-6B80, just how well it might have sold.

But I digress ....

Before I go any further, I should again express my thanks to Hung Pham ('Time2Fly') for sharing his photos of a 7A38-6109 - once again, the first example of the model (though not a particularly good one - of more anon) that I ever saw - and for something else. ;)

If I remember the caption to his photos of this watch, on his (now lapsed) Cox.net gallery correctly, this was the very first 7A38 that Hung had purchased. Unfortunately, it had a flat battery and he was unable to unscrew the case-back. Possibly just as well, because I suspect it may have needed more than just a new battery. So he sold it to another collector in Florida. Note the serial number 7O0009.

February 8, 2012 at 11:42 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Reserved for more photos and verbage - mine and Paul's 7A38-6109's.

Spot the (not-so) deliberate mistake in those photos - and indeed in the previous set above ? :/

Around March 2010, another Paul, with a surname not too dissimilar to my own, registered on the UK RLT watch forum as 'Paul66'.

He was obviously interested in 7A38s from the number of 'dumb newbie' questions he kept asking about them - usually in totally the wrong thread, resulting in several lengthy off-topic excursions. Naturally, I've invited him to join this forum, and I trust he'll be joining us soon - he's recently moved house and is currently involved in large-scale renovations. So in his temporary absence, I'm sure he won't mind me telling you about this one, which cropped up on eBay in the States in late July 2010. I was, by then, reasonably happy with my own mixed-and-matched example of a 7A38-6109, so I deferred this poorly titled eBay auction to him. IIRC, it went something like 'Seiko Sports 150 Chronograph'. The seller didn't exactly do himself any favours with the small out-of-focus photos he included, either:

I've found an old email from Paul saying he'd won the auction for considerably less than his $90 maximum bid - though not the figure.

Here's a photo of it he sent me, not long after it arrived. It turned out that I'd passed on a 'real minter'. Some folks have all the luck ! :roll:

Purchased eBay salesman's sample case eBay July 2010:

More to follow ....

February 11, 2012 at 4:06 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Reserved for more photos and verbage - other 7A38-6109s on eBay.

eBay August 2010 (item # 230503708579) - sold for $56.67 

SEIKO 7A38-6109 WATCH ORIGINAL BAND VINTAGE RARE CHRONO

Originally listed on eBay at the end of September 2011 with, IIRC, a ridiculously over-optimistic opening bid / Buy-it-Now price of

$455 / $499, which had dropped by $50 by the beginning of December to $405.99 (approx. £257.74) / $449.99 (approx. £285.67).

See: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/270861609075

Vintage Extremely Rare 1987 Seiko 7A38-6109AO Divers Chronograph Sport 150 watch

Here's a brand new condition one the Seiko collecters won't want to miss!!! This is a 7A38-6109AO Seiko Quartz Chronograph Sport 150 divers watch. This watch is extremely rare and highly sought after. This one is in like new condition with original everything. This watch has 17 jewels, beats at 21.6 bph, and is water resistant to 15 BAR or 150 meters(approx 450 ft.). This rare Sport 150 has the popular 7A38 movement and was manufactured in November of 1987. The serial number on this watch is 7D0190. The 7A38 was produced from around 1983 till 1989. Several websites have stated that this movement is the best mass produced Quartz Chronograph ever made. This watch embellishes "bling" with it's striking white 609LT dial and lumen gold plated hands and numbers. The crystal is 2.75mm thick which adds to the BAR rating, and is in new condition. The chronograph has several features including 3 position timing and several stop watch features. The day and date is displayed along with a 1/10th second dial. The case is base metal gold plated and the back is stainless steel. The original band is a Seiko 21473-E with base metal clasp and the band is gold plated. The band is also in pristine condition. I have opened the case and installed a new 397S battery. While I had the case opened I inspected the battery area for corrosion which is sometimes a problem with this series. The area around the battery and the movement itself looks brand new. There is no corrosion or defects of any kind. So basically this is a brand new watch that is 24 years old. I have also printed a copy of the users manual for the 7A28 & 38 series of watches I will include with the watch. To give you an indication of the condition of this watch look at the picture of the watch back. The plastic inspection sticker is still there. The watch has never been worn. To find a copy of such a rare and collectable timepiece in such condition as this one is almost unheard of, and I am going to have to set the price accordingly. A chance like this does not happen very often. Last chance, don't miss your opportunity!!

I will admit to having traded a few messages with the eBay seller - trying to convince him that his prices were totally out of whack. :roll:

He's been gradually coming down in stages. Last time I checked on the auction (umpteenth re-listing) he'd changed 3 of the photos:

See: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/280819431170

Prices were down to $199.99 (approx. £127) opening bid / $220 (approx. £140) for the Buy-it-Now, when his last (re)listing ended.

Maybe next time around lucky, eh Don ? ;)

Meanwhile, listed on eBay in November 2011, with an opening bid price of only $9.99 was this one:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/160682345690

Vintage Seiko Quartz Chronograph Sports 150 Man's wristwatch Lot #20

Lot # 20 Here we have a very beautiful vintage man's wristwatch. Face reads: Seiko Quartz, 

Chronograph Sports 150. Japan 7A38-609 T. Back reads: Water resistant 15 Bar 7N0187 

Base Metal St Steel Back 7A38-6109 AO within a box. Band is all gold color both front and back. 

Band reads: Z1473-E Seiko. The watch is running good. All the stems are there.*

Has a few normal scratches from wear. Hardly enough to mention. Looks Great. 

I AM SELLING AS IS, AS FOUND. I DO NOT SHIP INTERNATIONAL.

*I wonder exactly the seller meant by 'the stems'?

Examining the listing photos closely, it's actually missing all 4 'ears' from both top and bottom first joining links.

Regardless, it sold for $152 (approx. £96.50) after 23 bids.

February 11, 2012 at 4:07 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

As I'm writing the bulk of this thread, I trust readers will permit me the self indulgence of briefly taking it slightly off topic once again. :P

Reserved for slightly off-topic about the 7A38-7060 / 7A38-6109 609L dialled Franken and my own 7A34-7019 / 7A38-6109 Franken !

From when I first became interested in 7A38's, in late 2008, I have right-clicked and saved just about every photo I come across online.

Call me obsessive if you like, but as far as I'm concerned, it was (still is, to a certain extent) a useful part of the learning process. 

In December 2008, I saved this photo. I can't remember where I found it now, and at the time, I captioned it as simply 'Unknown 7A38'.

Interestingly, if you check the original photo properties, it was taken on 23/06/2003.

Later on, when I'd become more familiar with the 7A38 variants, I figured out that it was a 'Franken' (in hindsight, probably the first I'd ever actually encountered) - being made up from the 609L dial face and hands (minus lume) of a 7A38-6109, fitted in a 7A38-7060 stainless case (presumably once the silvery-white-faced version), and fitted with a non-original 'Oyster' style bracelet. A real 'bitza'.

In May 2010, I started trading emails with a prominent US collector of Seiko 7A38's. Amongst others, he emailed me the photo below.

It was clearly the same Franken, apparently still in the same box. I can't recall the exact nature of our subsequent email exchange, but the gist of it was, I told him what I believed it was made up from, and he replied that he had bought it like that from another US collector. Unfortunately, at the time, he was just starting what might potentially have been expensive divorce proceedings. He began selling off some of the more common 7A38's (some of which he had accumulated multiple examples) and 7T59's on eBay. One of the last he sold, right at the end of November 2010 was this Franken. I'll admit I was a little surprised at the way he titled the auction listing: 

SEIKO 7A38-6109 ORIGINAL RARE CHRONO MINTY DAY DATE (item # 230531858955)

It sold for $132.50, incidentally. What I hadn't realized before, until I saw the last photo, was that it was fitted with a case-back from a 7A38-6109 (as opposed to the 7A38-7060 case). But not just any 7A38-6109. Check the serial number: 7O0009 - the same as Hung Pham's original 7A38-6109, at the top of the page. Presumably whoever he sold it to had built the Franken from it. So not only did Hung provide the first photos of a 7A38-6109 I ever saw, but he also inadvertantly provided clear evidence of franken building !

More to follow ....

February 11, 2012 at 4:07 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Specifications and Buyers Guide: 7A38-6109 SAA114J 

Size: 39mm diameter (excluding crown and pushers) x 43mm lug-end to lug-end x 12mm deep - 8mm lug width fixing.

Case material: Base Metal (lower grade stainless steel) Gold-plated all over. Case and bracelet are brushed (matt) finish.

Bi-directional 60-click bezel with clear acrylic insert, over white with conventional 'Diver' ▽ | 10 | 20 | 30 | 40 | 50 | scale.

Dial: Part number is 7A38609LSX14. Seiko's database shows it as 'SILVER'. It is pure White with gold details and black printing.

Dial markings: SEIKO (printed) QUARTZ Chronograph SPORTS 150; at bottom JAPAN 7A38 Suwa Symbol 609L T.

Day and Date wheels: Black lettering on White background. Second languages seen include: Spanish.

Hands: Main handset is gold plated (with lume). Sub-dial hands are black painted with gold centres (shorter 6 o'clock subdial hand).

Seiko crystal p/n: 280WC6HN01 - 28.0mm Ø x 2.65mm thick, with polished bevel - obsolete NLA; no substitutes identified at present.

Case-back markings: Double Wave logo;  WATER RESISTANT 15BAR (Serial #)  BASE METAL ST. STEEL BACK  7A38-6109 [A0]

Seiko bracelet p/n: Z1473G - bracelet joining links are stamped Z1473.E. Fixing by pin and tube (p/n's 81604259 and 81180229).

Bracelet is 20mm wide overall. Clasp is gold-plated brushed finish - 18mm x    mm long, with no adjustment holes, stamped SEIKO.

Production variances: None seen.

Production dates: Examples seen have serial numbers beginning 790xxx through 7D0xxx - Late 1987, and in 100's - not thousands.

Geography: US market model - hence used examples are mostly found on eBay in U.S.

Buyers Tips: Gold plating wear (predominantly on bracelet). First bracelet joining links appear prone to twisting, and losing their 'ears'.

Check number of removable adjustment links remaining in the bracelet.  Acrylic bezel inserts can crack and also discolour with age.

Price Guide: $50 - $200 dependant upon condition.

Rarity Factor: 2/5 - Relatively Easy To Find (in U.S.)

February 11, 2012 at 4:09 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

The first auction sale, this year, of a complete 7A38-6109 on eBay (again in the States) ended on 18th January 2012.

The seller was 'mrjeweler8hho', an online jewellery trader, who also deals in Estate purchases, based in Boca Raton, Florida.

Not quite 'West Palm Beach', as he gave as the item location, where you'd be more likely to find real Bling, rather than gold-tone.

See: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/120841923881

Man's Seiko "Sports 150" Chronograph Watch

Man's Seiko "Sports 150" chronograph watch, gold tone watch band and case.
Rotating bezel, day/date. Deployment clasp. Quartz movement. Runs great, still in good condition.
This watch retailed over $400 when new. Total length of band when opened is 9 1/2 inches.

Looking at the seller's photos, the watch wasn't a particularly bad example, but suffered from the usual malaises of this model. 

Lightly worn gold plating on the underside of the bracelet; a bent 'ear' on the top first joining link, and a cracked bezel insert.

The seller was 100% correct about the retail price of 'over $400 when new' in his brief description.

The sticker on the back of my other salesman's sample case shows a R.R.P. of $475 for SAA114.

However, despite the eBay seller offering worldwide shipping, it sold after only 5 bids for a mere $50.99.

Blingy it may be - and hence of limited appeal to many 7Axx collectors, but it deserved rather better than that. :(

Yes - I probably could have tried outbidding the winning buyer - but I was 'saving my pennies' for something else. ;)

As you can see, the seller did not include the 'magic word' 7A38 in either his title nor description. Had he done so - who knows. :|

Did I really need another 7A38-6109 ? No. Would I ever have dared to wear a second (lesser example) in public ? Probably not ! :/

Speaking of saleman's sample cases, St. Louis-based Seiko dealer, Ron Canda (a.k.a '49Ronnie') listed another on eBay in March:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/150772275991

New Vintage NON-WORKING Gold Tone Seiko SAMPLE Alarm/Chronograph Case 7A38-6109

THIS IS NOT A WORKING WATCH! THIS AUCTION ITEM IS UNIQUE .... and Ron's usual listing spiel followed.

Though this was far from unique, being at least the third such sample case that he's knocked out over the last couple of years, and although not quite as pristine as the others I've seen before, it would make a great improvement to any tired-looking 7A38-6109, such as the one which went for $50.99 in January. It sold for $35.56 (approx £22.77) after only 5 bids, which is about par for one of these.

The one thing that was different about this particular 7A38-6109 sample case listing was that, for the first time, Ron thoughtfully included a scan of the SAA114J catalogue image, which I have saved and included in the Specification and Buyers Guide section.

February 11, 2012 at 4:15 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

I haven't taken any more decent close-up photos of my 7A38-6109 since I rebuilt it using an (empty) salesman's sample case.

But here's a Q&D photo of it I took (by flash), the weekend before last Christmas 2011. Adding a bit of festive bling to the tree. :D

February 11, 2012 at 5:32 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Here's a Q&D wrist shot of my 7A38-6109 which I posted in the WRUW thread, a week or so ago:

April 1, 2012 at 4:59 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Another recent eBay listing for a 7A38-6109 on eBay in the States ended yesterday, 31st March, possibly with an off eBay offer.

The seller had set an opening bid price of $99. It wasn't a particularly good example, with not only worn gold plating and the usual missing / bent 'ears' from the first joining links, but also the bracelet had been fitted with a number of non-original adjustment links.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/130672961103

SEIKO RARE SPORT 150 M, STAINLESS 7A38-6109

What made it worthy of mention was the first line of the seller's description. :)

I GOOGLED THIS MODEL NUMBER AND HERE'S A LINK I FOUND WHERE SOMEONE SPOKE IN DEPTH ABOUT THIS MODEL OF A WATCH:

http://www.seiko7a38.com/apps/forums/topics/show/7203846-7a38-6109-saa114j-mid-size-gold-plated-blingy-diver-us-market-model-?

UP FOR YOUR CONSIDERATION IS A SEIKO SPORT 150, WHAT MAKES THIS WATCH UNIQUE IS THE FACT IT HAS 1/10 OF SECOND ANALOG MOVEMENT.

IT IS GOLD TONE, THE BACK READS AS FOLLOWS:

WATER RESISTANT 15 BAR

BASE METAL ST STEEL BACK

MOVEMENT: 7A38-6109 ALONG WITH AN "AO" INSIDE A SQUARE

IT IS USED SO EXPECT SOME NORMAL WEAR, IT IS IN GREAT SHAPE BESIDES THE FADING ON THE BAND. THE CRYSTAL HAS NO TO VERY MINOR SCRATCHES.

I AM NOT AN EXPERT, SO PLEASE ASK ALL THE QUESTIONS YOU MAY HAVE, I AM SELLING THIS ON BEHALF OF A FAMILY MEMBER.

Warning: Clicking on the link will take you back to the beginning of this thread ! :D

April 1, 2012 at 5:03 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Here's yet another very recent 7A38-6109, which I nearly missed, somehow. ;)

Perhaps it's because this was offered by an eBay seller in Canada, rather than the USA - or the time of day it was (very briefly) listed.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/170819853642

All Orig Inc. Box Seiko Quartz Chronograph Sports 150 7A38 - 6109 Excellent Cond

Here's an all original, right down to the box with price tag, Seiko Quartz Chronograph Sport 150 men's wrist watch in excellent condition and working order. The battery is recent and all the functions are working perfectly. Dial is mint and signed as above, as well as 'Japan 7A38 609L T and features a 1/10th sec. register at 3 o'clock, a red second hand* for chrono function, a time second register at 6 o'clock and a minute register at 9 o'clock. Additional features are a day/date functions and all are working properly. The bezel, original mineral crystal, function buttons, case and crown are all almost mark free - the only small scratches being in the origina bracelet [you'll have to look hard to see them] and a few in the stainless steel case back. Case back is signed 'Water Resistant 15 Bar' and model number 7A38-6109. The movement is original as well, clean very visually and also signed. This is a very attractive watch offered at a great price and is ready to wear or add to a discriminating collection. You won't be dissapointed! Read my feedback and bid with confidence.

Sold as a Buy-it-Now for $199 (approx. £125.71)  in the early hours of  6th April 2012 - to a member of this forum, if I'm not mistaken.

Bought within less than 10 minutes of first having been listed - after having received only 5 views, too. ;)

*Not sure where the seller got the idea of a 'red second hand' from, but the chrono's sweep second hand is most definitely gold. :roll:

April 9, 2012 at 8:08 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

This 7A38-6109 (empty) salesman's sample case and almost full length bracelet (minus the clasp) sold on eBay on 7th October 2012:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/110962039111

Mens Seiko Sample Salesman non-working SPORTS 150 CHRONOGRAPH WATCH

It sold quickly, within the first hour for the seller's Buy-it-Now price of $99 (approx. £61.14) after the listing had received only 7 views.

That's more than a couple of working examples of 7A38-6109's had managed to make in recent  years. Should build up very nicely.

Incidentally, purchased by another member of this forum - not myself. Why would anybody want two of these in their collection ?  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's a typical example of a used 7A38-6109 which sold a week later on eBay in the States:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/290786284775 

Seiko Chronograph Watch - Sport 150

This auction is for a Seiko Chronograph watch. The face of the case is 1½" in diameter. The face of the watch reads: Seiko, Quartz, Chronograph, Sports 150; back of the case has the Seiko Logo and reads: Water Resistant,15bar, B10161, Base Metal St. Steel Back, 7A38-6709, and AO in a box. It has the original Seiko band. The watch case and band shows lite wear from use. There is a light scratch on the crystal face. I put a new battery in it and set the time and day and date function. It keeps good time and the day and date work well. I am no watch expert. I bought this at an Estate Sale and got no operating instructions. I have no idea what the other functions are for or how to operate them. You are buying it as is ....

It sold on 15th October 2012 for a mere $51 (approx. £31.70) after 5 bids. The auction received only 63 views during the 7 day listing.

October 7, 2012 at 6:12 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Another year has passed since I last updated this topic and I can't remember seeing any 7A38-6109's on eBay in the interim period.

This example, suffering from a couple of the common minor malaises of this model, appeared on eBay in the States last Monday:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141130657573

Nice SEIKO Sports 150 Chronograph Day/Date 7A38-609L/6109 Mens Watch

Here we have a very nice Seiko Sports 150 Chronograph mens watch. Day/date display. 3-register chrono. Gold tone. 7A38A 15-jewel quartz movement is running fine. Watch is in excellent condition. There is some gold tone wear on the bracelet. See pics for more details. 

Indeed, if you studied the seller's very clear photos, apart from the plating wear, you'd have seen the acrylic bezel insert was cracked to the left of the ▽ marker and that all 4 of the decorative 'ears' were broken off the first joining links on both sides of the bracelet.

Regardless, it sold for $128.49 (approx. £78.41) after 19 bids: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141130657573

December 10, 2013 at 12:44 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Funny how the appearance of one of these often seems to prompt another soon after. I didn't see this eBay listing for a 7A38-6109 while it was live, but spotted it belatedly this afternoon, while searching on ended auctions (on eBay.com) - a few days after the fact:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/291035729437

Vintage Seiko 7A38 Chronograph Watch

- 39mm gold plated metal case

- Rotating bezel

- White dial

- 7A38 stopwatch movement with 1/20 second counter (15 Jewels)

- Day and date display

- Gold plated band (original brush finish)

- New battery installed this month

- Store display watch with minor scuffs and scratches

- All functions work and watch keeps accurate time

- Vintage Seiko box included (no tags or instructions)

Clearly in far better condition than the previous example that ended 2 days earlier, I expect it sold quickly for the $199 asking price.

December 15, 2013 at 10:31 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

This US eBay 10-day auction listing for quite a tidy looking example of a 7A38-6109 ended about half an hour ago.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/231142113233

Seiko Mens or Ladies Watch - Chronograph - 7A38-6109

ca. 1990

Gold Tone

Excellent Condition

Description:

Case - Gold tone with stainless steel back plate - Excellent condition with no scratches or dents - engraving on back plate.

Case Size - Measures approximately 39mm X 43mm - excludes crown but includes lugs

Dial - Excellent condition - white - 3 registers plus day and date

Crystal - Perfect - no scratches

Movement - Seiko - Quartz - Runs and all functions working

Band: Gold tone but short - Will fit a 7" wrist - EXCELLENT condition as photos will show.

Whether for personal use or giving as a gift, this watch is a beauty. Please bid with confidence because you will be receiving a true classic timepiece, in fine condition.

Indeed, all that really let it down, other than the bracelet's possible shortage of adjustment links was the rather poignant case-back inscription and a nasty tool scratch right through the model number. Given that the serial number was 810286 (Jan 88), I still can't figure out how the seller managed to come up with a date of May 1990. It sold for $137 (approx. £83.36) after only 3 bids.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/231142113233

February 2, 2014 at 6:31 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Poignant case-back inscriptions like 'LOVE ALWAYS SARA' aren't easy to forget, particularly when you remember seeing the same 7A38-6109 s/n 810286 selling for $137 less than two months ago. Listed earlier today by would-be profiteering eBay re-seller Starsinthedirt, a.k.a. recently joined forum member TimeTracker for the ridiculous speculative Buy-it-Now price of $385.

Dunno about 'Stars in the Dirt' - more like 'Pie in the Sky'. :lol:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/310914893703

I've only bothered uploading 8 of the 12 photos because many are very similar:

Seiko 7A38-6109 The Golden Diver.

It is a very rare and beautiful gold tone 7A38 with a white turning bezel! Very cool. 

Gold tone chronograph. This is part of the 7A series that were the worlds first quartz analog chronographs. It is quite a movement with no plastic parts and 4 separate motors. This movement is made to last a lifetime.  Looks great! It is used and shows some use but no damage.

New battery and it is working properly. It has a couple of fine marks on the crystal at 1:00. 

It is not altered. It is on it's original bracelet and comes with the box but no papers or hang tag.

The bracelet will fit 7 1/2" max with 4 removable links.

The back has been engraved "LOVE ALWAYS SARA" I know, not a plus but it could be a lot worse.

You could keep someone guessing with an inscription like that! 

The box has some dings. Not bad but not quite perfect.

The watch measures 38 mm not including the crown, with 8mm lugs.

Express shipping is the only international option with tracking. Many of my lesser watches go 1st class but on this one I will only offer Express for international buyers.

I don't think you need worry about international buyers at those prices Tom - least not any who are regular readers of this forum. :P

March 29, 2014 at 10:08 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

I must admit that I've watched in mild amusement as the would-be profiteering eBay re-seller starsinthedirt has steadily reduced his 'pie-in-the-sky' Buy-it-Now price over the last 3 months and more:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemRevisionDetails&item=310914893703

It's currently down from $385 to 'only' $225 - a reduction (so far) of $160. Still I guess that's 2/3 of the way there - only another $80 to get the price down to a sensible level (<$150). That would still give the seller a small profit - which is far more than he deserves. :P

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Belated Edit: The seller starsinthedirt further reduced the Buy-it-Now price twice more on 28th July and again on 21st August ....

It finally sold on 7th September for $195 - better than he deserved:

July 19, 2014 at 11:33 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Meanwhile, however, I'll admit I'm a little surprised no-one has snapped up this 7A38-6109 salesman's sample case / partial bracelet.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111386227641

In the interests of page loading times, here's just 5 of the seller's 12 photos (many of which are quite similar) from that listing:

This is the last of the current batch of 7A38 sample cases which the US eBay seller gmc-jr listed (as 30 day listings) starting in June.

Some of them sold within a matter of hours. Yes, this 7A38-6109 may be priced slightly higher @ $70, rather than $60 which all the others were; but if you'd seen how quickly the more desirable 7A38-7029 and stainless 7A38-7289 sold, it's a more an indication of this less-than-savvy eBay seller's lack of awareness of their comparative worth - rather than this one being particularly over-priced. :roll:

If I had a 'beater' 7A38-6109, or even one with slightly worn gold plating, I'd have grabbed this up myself weeks ago. Trust me. ;)

July 19, 2014 at 12:08 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Erstwhile fanatical Australian collector Stuart Lennard (ex-forum member 'ginny') appears to be carrying on with the dissolution of his 7Axx collection. Two weeks ago he listed eight various 7Axx's on eBay: a mixture of 7A28's, 7A38's and 7A48's. Overnight, he's listed another ten - mostly 7A38's this time. I'm not going to speculate as to his reasons - nor am I going to pass unnecessary comment on all of them. I'll simply document the sales of those where we already have a pre-existing 7A38-xxxx model specific thread, like this one.

Here's Stuart's listing for the gold plated 7A38-6109 'Blingy Diver': http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121464207876

Once again, I've only bothered to upload half of Stuart's 8 listing photos, because as per usual, many are similar and frankly lacklustre:

SHIPPING WORLWIDE EXPRESS 3-4 DAYS TRACKABLE $42.00 WITHIN AUSTRALIA EXPRESS TRACKABLE $13.00

SEIKO 7A38-6109 IN EXCELLENT CONDITION.

ONLY VERY SLIGHT WEAR MARK ON REAR OF BRACELET. ( HARDLY NOTICABLE) 

ALL FUNCTIONS WORK AS THEY SHOULD. HAS BOX TAG AND OUTER BOX. 

I AM HAPPY TO COMBINE SHIPPING. 

ONE, TWO OR THREE WATCHES, ALL THE SAME SHIPPING PRICE. 

IF YOU WIN MORE THAN ONE AUCTION , WAIT TO I SEND YOU INVOICE WITH ADJUSTED SHIPPING RATE. 

WITHIN AUSTRALIA, WAIT TILL I SEND YOU INVOICE $13.00. 

I only send to confirmed paypal address . No post office boxes. 

Customer is responsible for additional if any , custom fees, brockerage fees and or taxes. 

SORRY BUT DUE TO POSTAGE REGULATIONS I CANNOT SHIP WITH BATTERY.

Again, this only very average example of a 7A38-6109 isn't exactly in the 'EXCELLENT' condition Stuart would have you believe.

Ignore the box and tags (which Stuart sourced elsewhere) as they're a bit of a red herring and detract from the watch's deficiencies.

Just take a couple of minutes to scroll back up the page to my post dated 10th December 2013, where I wrote this:

This example, suffering from a couple of the common minor malaises of this model, appeared on eBay in the States last Monday:

Indeed, if you studied the seller's very clear photos, apart from the plating wear, you'd have seen the acrylic bezel insert was cracked to the left of the ▽ marker and that all 4 of the decorative 'ears' were broken off the first joining links on both sides of the bracelet.

Not only has it those faults, undisclosed by Stuart in his eBay listing description, but if you look carefully at the lighter of his case-back shots I've uploaded, there also appears to be tarnishing of the gold plating around the pusher housings.

Stuart's 7A38-6109 is the very same  - s/n 7D0208. He was the winner of that auction.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141130657573

If you end up winning his auction, paying more than $129, then you're a bigger mug than Stuart was. Far better examples out there.

October 19, 2014 at 9:46 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Stuart's eBay auction, the last of his current batch of 11 listings, for his allegedly 'excellent condition' (but in truth only just average) 7A38-6109 ended about 15 minutes ago. It sold for $123.51 (USD as opposed to AUD) equivalent to approx. £76.80 after 16 bids.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121464207876

Common sense (and good taste) thankfully prevailed. :P

October 25, 2014 at 9:19 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Stuart Lennard's dissolution of his 7Axx collection continues. Overnight he listed another 12 of them; a mixture of 7A28's and 7A38's on eBay. This batch included another 7A38-6109 'Blingy Diver' in rather better condition than the previous tatty example he sold.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121476507129

NOTE- SHIPPING WORLDWIDE EXPRESS 3-4 DAYS TRACKABLE $42.00 WITHIN AUSTRALIA EXPRESS TRACKABLE $13.00

NEW OLD STOCK SEIKO 7A38-6109. ABSOLUTE NEW CONDITION. NOT A MARK ANYWHERE.

ALL FUNCTIONS WORK AS THEY SHOULD. BOX AND TAG. SORRY NO MANUALS. 

I AM HAPPY TO COMBINE SHIPPING. ONE , TWO OR THREE WATCHES ALL THE SAME PRICE $42.00 ....

You may notice that in this post, I've uploaded a higher proportion of Stuart's (11) lacklustre listing photos. At least there's some variation this time. But if you want to see better photos of this watch - scroll back up the page to my post dated 15th December 2013, where I wrote:

Clearly in far better condition than the previous example that ended 2 days earlier, I expect it sold quickly for the $199 asking price.

Same 7A38-6109 - case-back serial number 7N0023 matches. ;)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Belated edit November 9th 2014 08:30am:

Stuart Lennard's eBay auction for his second, far better - almost mint example of the 7A38-6109 ended a week later in the early hours of Sunday morming. It sold for a mere $136 (approx. £86) after 23 bids. Given what he paid for it and the condition, it deserved to go much higher, but then many of the 7Axx's in this third batch under-sold. That's what happens when you flood the market. You'd have thought he would have learned by now. :roll:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121476507129

November 2, 2014 at 11:40 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.