Seiko 7A38 - by the numbers

Subtitle

Forums

Forum Home > 7Txx General Discussion Area > Don`t be shy to show us your 7T32

Arpie

Whaoo...what an honour to be the first here and creating a new topic! :P

Let`s begin! Among all of these beautiful 7A38 I think there is another movement which worth to mention couple of words: 7T32

Honestly I prefer the symmetrical arrangement, so maybe this is reason why I`m not really interested to collect them, BUT couple of months ago I was lucky enough to hunt one from ebay and I must say it was a nice shot. Let`s have a look:

This is the 7T32-F050 with titanium case and bracelet. This watch was on ebay last year around october, the seller described as"it does not work" so it was a bit risky but I added to my watch list. Just before the end of the auction the price was still very low so on the basis of "let`s try it" I`ve put a low bid (£35)....and I won :D After receiving it I immediately removed the case back to have a look...maybe it`s a missing battery. Surprisingly there was a battery in it, no battery leakage, no sign of water ingress, no sign of rust, nothing, it was nice and clean. So I though maybe the battery is still OK. I took out the battery then put it back...nothing. Hmmmm....then I read the sticker glued at the backside of the case back which says after installing a new battery you need to close the circuit...or something like that. Sure....of course....I`m an idiot....I have couple of Casios and they are the same in this aspect so I should have known. As I had no screwdriver ( I did it at my workplace) I used a paperclip to close the circuit....yeah I`m kinda MacGyver you know :lol:  And as a result the movement started to work, chronograph was perfect, alarm worked as well.  What I really liked about the watch is the bright and not too crowded dial, and the alarm had a very crispy & distinct sound. Braclet was long enough so I was able to wear it. After a closer look I noticed that the dial looks a bit plastic and of course I don`t have the entertaintment caused by the 1/20 second hand as I have on 7A38. To sum up: I know there is no jewels in the movement, most of the gears are plastic...etc...but after all my prejudice about 7T32 I have to admit that it impressed me and I like them. Probably I had a brain damage because I sold it and now I`m regret :(

February 29, 2012 at 4:57 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Sir Alan

Here are two of mine (both from ebay):

they wear really nicely. I like the jubilee bracelet, its very comfy, and I like the yellow dial - its nice to look at 8)

Here is a movement waiting to go back into a case when I get a replacement glass. This is going to look really nice:

February 29, 2012 at 8:15 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Trust me on this one, Simon ....

Don't order a Seiko p/n 320P03HNO3 for your 7T32-7F80 - order a Sternkreuz p/n MSM320 instead .... of more anon. ;)

PS - Well done for starting the thread, Arpad ! :)

February 29, 2012 at 10:06 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

O.K.. I'll fess up to having had a couple of 7T32s pass through my hands, and still owning a couple which I bought deliberately. :P

First the 'ones that got away' ....

My first 7T32 purchase - a dressy 7T32-6A50, was 'by default'. It came in a job lot with a 7A38-7270 which I bought in January 2009:

This was only the third 7A38 I'd bought on eBay, and as the Italian seller described both watches as being in need of new batteries - and knowing what I've since learned about the damage old run-down leaking batteries can do to the insides of a watch, also something of a gamble. I wasn't even changing my own batteries in those early days of my watch collecting, so I took both to my trusted local jeweller / watchmaker. The 7A38-7270 was squeaky clean inside and fired up straight way, but the dead battery in the 7T32 hadn't fared so well - it had had leaked, and attacked the contacts, and maybe worse. I put it back on eBay almost straight away - the same weekend, (re)using the last two of the previous seller's photos (above). Listed as 'For Spares or Repairs', I got $25 for it - peanuts really, but then I'd only paid 49 Euros for the two of them. :)

The other 'pass though' also came as part of a job lot, which I bought for the NOS 7A38-7250 (with SAA080J tags), and a lightly used gold-tone 7A38-7289, on eBay in October 2009. It was a similarly dressy-looking gold-tone 7T32-6A60. Now if this had been a 7A38, I would have kept it, but it didn't do anything for me. So it was always going to be re-sold .... eventually.

You can see better in the eBay seller's second photo that it was fitted with a rather nice honey coloured croco' strap, but it was only 18mm wide - and so a rather sloppy fit between the watch's 19mm lugs ....

As it happened, about that time, I'd just bought a dressy gold-tone Yema N81W43 (with a different dial to the one I've mentioned in another recent thread). It had an 18mm lug width. So that 7T32 got robbed of its nearly new strap to go on the Yema N8:

This is a good example of how not very good I am, at selling watches that I have always intended to put back on eBay. :roll:

12 months later, I finally got around to buying a cheap 19mm tan leather strap for it, and taking some half-decent photos ....

Well worth the effort (eventually), because on this occasion I got £79.50 for it - a darned good price for a dressy 7T32 ! :D

February 29, 2012 at 10:13 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Rewind back to March 2009, not long after I'd sold my first dressy little D.O.A. 7T32 on eBay, for $25 as 'Spares or Repairs' ....

I happened to notice a chap at work wearing a rather attractive all-stainless Seiko chrono' with a White and Navy 'Panda' dial.

I immediately recognised the 3-pusher / 2 crown configuration as a 7T32, and asked him if he'd mind showing me the case-back.

I made a mental note of the case number - 7T32-7F80 - indeed the very same watch which Simon appears to be rebuilding. ;)

When I got home, I set up a saved favourite search on eBay on 'Seiko 7T32-7F80'. Within a week I received an eBay notification.

This was the only photo the seller had included in his eBay auction listing:

I messaged the seller, asking if he could email me a couple of better larger photos of the watch. These are what he sent me. :roll:

Still not exactly brilliant, but as it came with the original box and manuals and spare links - I bought it.

I wore it for quite a while, as received but cleaned, and later refurbished (and also modded it slightly) - of more anon.

After I'd found one, rather than deleting that eBay saved favourite search (as I probably should have done), I left it, as you do,

and in August 2009, I received another notification from eBay, adivsing that another auction for a 7T32-7F80 had been listed.

This time it was the black-faced version (same case number, but a different sales code SDWE05P1), with the silver sub-dials:

As you can see from the seller's second photo, it had lost some of the painted inlay numbers from the Tachymeter bezel scale.

Incidentally on this particular 7T32, the bezel is not separate and removeable, but an integral machined part of the watch case.

I later bought another of the same version (by default), which came with a stainless white-faced 7A38-7190 in the same eBay lot.

In the meantime, I discovered that wonderful resource - Seiko Oceania's database - and that there were 3 versions of 7T32-7F80.

This is the white-faced, black subdials 'Panda' SDWE03P1, which I've never actually seen yet (read managed to find one on eBay):

Having seen that image, and not been able to find one since, I became a little dissatisfied with my white / navy blue SDWE01P1.

There was just too much white on the dial for my liking - or at least it gave that impression with that matching white minute ring,

and I wanted a navy blue minute ring  to match the subdials - the equivalent part used on SDWE01P3 and SDWE01P3 is black. :(

To cut a long story short, after a little online research, I managed to find the perfect colour / fit minute ring in an un-related 7T62 model. Not only did I order the navy blue one, but I also ordered the equivalent part number in black - again, because I wasn't that enamoured with the minute ring Seiko fitted in the other versions of 7T32-7F80. I don't have a decent photo to upload of my white / navy 7T32-7F80, and I need to clean it up first. But in the meantime, here's a photo of my lightly modded black and silver 7T32-7F80:

This is the same watch as in those eBay listing photos from August 2009. The case has been re-finished; bezel lettering painstakingly re-painted (with a 000 paintbrush); original scratched crystal replaced with a Sternkreuz p/n MSM320, and fitted on a 20mm 'Rubber Tyre Tread' strap, rather than the original bracelet - and, of course, with the 7T62 minute ring. Looks a bit better now, doesn't it ? :)

March 3, 2012 at 5:15 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Funny thing, Simon ....

I was just going back through my eBay watching list, clearing off some ended auctions - I'd reached the maximum 200 again.  :roll:

Guess what I came across ?? :D

Didn't realize till I looked at the bidding history it was the one you won. Similar, but not as good as the (extra) photos I had to go on. ;)

March 5, 2012 at 1:56 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Sir Alan

I'll post up some pics of that 7F80 soon Paul ......

Here's one I picked up 'off' the bay recently - a 7T32-6H60.

It's one of the Macchina Sportiva by Giugiaro, with a saphire crystal and a real weight to it.

I'm on the look out for a couple more links, so for now it's just for show.

March 11, 2012 at 5:00 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

I don't have a decent photo to upload of my white / navy 7T32-7F80, and I need to clean it up first.

I might get around to cleaning up my other lightly modded White / Navy 7T32-7F80 soon, and maybe post some photos next weekend. 

I'll post up some pics of that 7F80 soon Paul ......

After you, Simon. ;)

March 11, 2012 at 5:08 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Arpie

Does anyone know how to remove the rotating bezel from a 7T32-7H10?

It seems the previous owner tried to pry the bezel up...there are couple of marks on the case. I don't want to damage the case more so I'm wondering what is the right method to remove it. Any idea?

I want to replace the crystal but I'm afraid I have to remove the bezel first.

May 2, 2012 at 5:53 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Sir Alan

Hi, I've got a couple of 7T32's in a state of repair / re-build at the moment. Both are the 'chunky' type like yours. Here is the 7T32-7G20

here is the case after I'd removed the bezel (and everything else!!)

and here is the underside of the bezel (after I cleaned it):

and the ring that it sits on (that gives the bezel the click function):

here is the same case after a jolly good clean

you'll find quite a thick crystal:

So, to answer your question (finally!!), just pry the bezel off (with a suitable tool / knife) - I masked the case arms with tape (as suggested by Paul) to protect them.

Be brave, and firm. ;)

May 2, 2012 at 6:16 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Arpie

So here we are.

I have finished this one as well. I removed the rotating bezel, there was a massive amount of dirt underneath it.

After the crytal replacement:

The original crystal was around 2.85mm thick. I used a 3mm aftermarket Cousins. Luckily I could press it deep enough to give sufficent space for the rotating bezel. It went back smoothly and rotates freely.

Thank you Simon for the encouragement! ;)

June 1, 2012 at 2:43 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Sir Alan

Nice work. I'm feeling a bit guilty as my two are still in bits :roll:

June 1, 2012 at 3:29 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Arpie

I hardly believe nothing happened here for two months....I have to break the silence then :P

Welcome aboard my 7T32-7F80:

Needs a new crystal, a new case back gasket and a good clean. 

August 2, 2012 at 6:59 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Nice one, Arpad. 

This is probably my favourite 7T32 - I have two of them (the lightly modded one on the 'Rubber Tyre' strap posted above somewhere).

I know you don't like paying genuine Seiko spare part prices, so may I recommend a Sternkreuz MSM320 for the replacement crystal and Cousins p/n 33503550C for the case-back gasket.  ;)

August 2, 2012 at 7:11 AM Flag Quote & Reply

gufi

Some very nice 7Txx; especially the 7T32-7F80 looks great! :)

Here are my 7T32

Are 7T42 allowed here? ;) Here´s a 7T42-7A10 Titanium which, of course, looks a lot like a 7A38-7030.

November 5, 2012 at 7:02 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Arpie

I like Achim's 7T42-7A10 a lot! Very nice looking watch, I like the Timer function too.

But now, I would like to add couple of photos about my 7T32-7G30.

It's not in the best condition I have ever seen but not too bad.

I have replaced the glass using the Cousins F300CMH320 crystal. Moreover after Paul's suggestion I purchased the Cousins 33503550C case back gasket which is a perfect replacement. I don't have the original stainless steel bracelet which I don't really mind as I wanted to replace it anyway. Apparently a genuine Seiko Z22 is on the way from USA but until then I have put a cheaper yellow stitched rubber band.

November 27, 2012 at 3:59 AM Flag Quote & Reply

kevkojak

I still have a few - offloaded some to pay a couple of bills and now back on a buying spree!

This is a nice g/p model on blue leather

Four more in this little group shot, although the two on the left (ti model and gold plated cream dial) were both just bought as spares watches and have left the nest.

And this snap is a couple of years old.

My beloved Giugiaro on original sharkskin strap. Found in a jewellers as NOS and kept in mint condition before I sold it in the run up to my wedding. A couple of beaters too, the light blue dial was a good work watch, and the dark blue with silver subs is a favourite.

November 29, 2012 at 4:18 PM Flag Quote & Reply

kevkojak

I was pretty pleased with this bead blasted full lume SQ100 as well but it gave up the ghost so another e.bay donor watch!

One I'm looking to replace in the near future.

November 29, 2012 at 5:34 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Paulo Daneu

Hi,

I love my Seiko 7T32-7E70 that is below, this watch saved my left wrist and hand from a car accident, I was hit by a car in last March.

I will never send it to fix.

Paulo

November 30, 2012 at 8:53 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

I remember it well, Paulo, or at least as it looked before your unfortunate accident - complete with ZFM stampings on the case-back. :)

Glad to hear you survived relatively unscathed, even if the watch didn't. 

December 23, 2012 at 9:52 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.