Seiko 7A38 - by the numbers

Forums

Forum Home > 7Txx General Discussion Area > When 3 sub-dials are just not enough - Here be 7T34's

Sir Alan

My Cousins order arrived today, and with it a new crystal for my restored back to life two-tone 7T34-6A00 Flightmaster.

So, it was out with the crystal press, off with the bezel, and then on with the crystal.

And here we are:

and

The dial is very detailed, and small :o

It really does need the crystal / lens to magnify it, which it does a treat.

I've really enjoyed working on this watch. For an investment of:

Watch with dead movement : £74

New 7T34 movement : £36.60

New SR927W (399) battery : £1.90

New Sternkreuz XMF 315 702 crystal : £6.58

Total : £119

plus a significant investment in tools - but we won't count that ;)

I have a fully working watch with lots of life left in it.

And another on the go ...................

March 8, 2012 at 5:02 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Nice work, Simon - especially the sub-dial hand alignment to their marks. ;)

Not my cup of tea, though, I'm afraid - just a bit too 'busy' looking for my taste. :/

March 8, 2012 at 8:35 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Sir Alan

Here's my 7T34-6A00 all stainless steel:

and

It's had a new crystal, new battery, new case back gasket, a couple of bracelet links from another identical (but dead movement) watch, new split pins in every removeable link, and a general clean up (but no re-finishing or polishing).

The sub-dials are very small, and hard to read (with my eye sight), but .... the main hands are very legible, so general time reading at a glance is great.

I have to say as a general wearer,  these 7T34's are really nice. :P

I've got another of these, in equally (relatively) good condition (bar the main hands that have are showing signs of lume rot / breakdown?) - I'm just waiting for a new movement to arrive before bringing it back to life.

I'll also practice my case polishing skills on the case and bracelet - more of that to follow.  I'm holding back because I don't really know what to do or what to use yet, and I don't want to damage something by using the wrong product, tool or technique. :|

March 16, 2012 at 7:39 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Sir Alan

Well, I've got three more 7T34's incoming (two from the States, one from Germany) and two new movements to fix them up with.

I took this pictiure yesterday which I quite like:

March 23, 2012 at 3:50 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Sir Alan

Here's my latest (working) 7T34-6A09:

and

it's a gold tone case and bezel on a green crocodile strap. In very good condition.

I've got a couple more to fix, both came with dead movements (I'm getting good at spotting the signs now!!) and one looked like it had been worn daily by a builder / welder with serious damage to the bracelet!! All sort-out-able though ;)

March 28, 2012 at 8:42 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Sir Alan

I put this on its correct bracelet:

and

I'm not really a fan of straps, paricularly buckle type as there's always a risk of dropping the watch when putting it on. :mad:

April 3, 2012 at 5:39 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

I would have thought the opposite - that you might have preferred wearing straps to bracelets, Simon .... for the obvious reasons. :lol:

April 4, 2012 at 10:02 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Sir Alan

Here's my latest 7T34-7A10, from Germany.

It's had a new crystal and movement (the alarm function wasn't working correctly). It's in very good condition with a good sized bracelet and no dings to the case or bezel.

and a closeup:

April 11, 2012 at 7:21 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

There was I thinking you were just trying to collect all the 'FlightMaster' versions, Simon. I didn't realize you'd branched out.

Quite an attractive watch that one, IMO - the stainless black-faced -7A10 version has caught my eye on a few occasions.

The only thing I'm not so keen on is the knobbly ridges on the centre bracelet links.

Something I've often wondered was whether the bezel on these was interchangeable with that used on the 7A38-702x. 

They both use a 31.0mm crystal, and are of fairly similar design.

PS - Super sharp close-up head / wrist shot by the way ! 

April 11, 2012 at 11:35 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Sir Alan

Here's my latest 7T34-6A90.

It's a big watch, with pushers like those on the 7T59's (that I own), a chunky bezel and a nice set of white sub dials that are very legible. 

This is the first watch in a while where I haven't immediately had to start fixing somehting!!  It did need a new battery and I gave the bracelet a dip in the ultrasonic cleaner.

I did fit a longer clasp because the bracelet came in woefully short - another neat trick from Paul ;)

and

April 14, 2012 at 1:33 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Sir Alan

I've added a couple more 7T34's to my collection, both in really good condition.

First a 7T34-6B00

it came on it's original blue leather strap, but it was fairly worn (and smelly!!) so I've replaced it with a Hirsch Aero shark strap

the dial and sub-dial on this are really legible and the casing, plating and bezel are in superb condition.

My second acquisition is a 7T34-6A09

the condition of the plating is almost as-new, with no signs of wear. It came with a stuck 8pm pusher which had resulted in partial plating corrosion of the pusher and there are some surface scratches to the casing by the pusher where I guess the previous owner tried to un-stick it!!

Neither of these are really noticeble and the case scratches would easily polish out.

July 5, 2012 at 6:19 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Very nice, Simon, particularly the 7T34-6B00 - but even though it's very blue, still not quite my cuppa tea. ;)

Funny how the colours of that 7T34-6A09 are almost identical to the 7T32-6B5A (which I sent you a link to) that you didn't fancy. :/

July 5, 2012 at 8:01 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Sir Alan

Here's my latest 7T34, a 7T34-6A0H from America:

I must get around to posting a group shot of my 7T34's.

July 17, 2012 at 2:43 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Sir Alan

Here's a group shot of some of my 7T34's

and some individual shots:

November 11, 2012 at 9:08 AM Flag Quote & Reply

woody

hi this my one .all the best woody77.

January 11, 2013 at 9:34 AM Flag Quote & Reply

7ARCool

Fancy adding this one to your lovelly collection ?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/140907943300

Can you spot the Modification ???? LOL

January 20, 2013 at 5:09 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Sir Alan

My 7T34-6B00 needed a new movement (unlike George I haven't got the skill/patience to put back together a 7Txx movement!!) so that's what it got yesterday.

all working perfectly now :D

March 17, 2013 at 11:44 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Ari

Sir Alan at March 8, 2012 at 5:02 PM

My Cousins order arrived today, and with it a new crystal for my restored back to life two-tone 7T34-6A00 Flightmaster.

So, it was out with the crystal press, off with the bezel, and then on with the crystal.

And here we are:

and

The dial is very detailed, and small :o

It really does need the crystal / lens to magnify it, which it does a treat.

I've really enjoyed working on this watch. For an investment of:

Watch with dead movement : £74

New 7T34 movement : £36.60

New SR927W (399) battery : £1.90

New Sternkreuz XMF 315 702 crystal : £6.58

Total : £119

plus a significant investment in tools - but we won't count that ;)

I have a fully working watch with lots of life left in it.

And another on the go ...................

Hi, this is very interesting article with brilliant pictures, and what a fine watches.

I have similar, golden 7t34, now gone broken. I wonder where did you get all the parts. I have been browsing now days and days to locate parts. I let it for a watch smith, but he said, he cannot do anything for it, no movements, no nothing. I would appreciate if someone could help me with web sites /companies who sell parts for 7t34. Thanks in advance, Ari

March 18, 2013 at 4:36 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Sir Alan

Crystals, gaskets and pushers seem to be readily available (in the UK, Cousins stock them), however dials, hands, bezels and bracelets parts are not.

And, the most important part, the movement is definitely not.

I got lucky a year or so ago and noticed an ebay seller was listing new movements and bought 7 of them (I think) - I used the last of them at the weekend.

You'll need to look for a cheap donor watch that you can buy for parts.

March 18, 2013 at 7:03 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Ari

Thank you for the information. That is what I am doing now, checking ebay for spare part watch. BR., Ari

March 18, 2013 at 7:38 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.