Seiko 7A38 - by the numbers

Forums

Forum Home > 7Txx General Discussion Area > 7T27-xxxx

Sir Alan

Here is my 7T27-7A10:

it came up on ebay recently. It's in very good condition (though the plastic strap has hardened and started to crack between the holes) and I love the dial - it's very different and colourful!!

and of course the wrist shot:

April 29, 2012 at 12:06 PM Flag Quote & Reply

JSS

"and I love the dial - it's very different and colourful!!"

No kidding.  Is that a proper compass or is it just made to look like one?

April 29, 2012 at 7:43 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Sir Alan

It's a pretend compass James.  :roll:

It's only a 24hr clock (with no minute hand). You can see the red arrow pointing at the 14, which corresponds to the main hour hands showing 2pm.

Interestingly (and possibly annoyingly) there is no way to adjust this sub-dial hand.

May 2, 2012 at 12:49 PM Flag Quote & Reply

JSS

Yes, I thought it was a fake compass, but with it having “DIRECTION” in the list of functions on the dial, I just wanted to check.

May 2, 2012 at 6:06 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Sir Alan

I can't remember exactly, and my brain has gone to bed already, but I think you can get the direction from the sun and the time of day - a Ray Mears kind of thing?

I suspect that's what the blue line in the 9pm sub-dial is for.

May 4, 2012 at 8:07 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Sir Alan

Here is my 7T27-7A20 on a grey Nato.

I wore it for the first time today and have to say its a fantastically legible watch, a good size - not too small but neither too big to start knocking on objects or adding wrist weight.

I was very ambivalent about it until today, but I can see the attraction now, over and above the 'military' connection.

and a couple of head only shots:

October 21, 2012 at 11:43 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Sir Alan

A couple of shots of my 7T27-7A10 out in the sun today:

December 20, 2013 at 6:46 AM Flag Quote & Reply

gufi

A very nice and unusual Seiko, Simon. I´ve never seen this model before.

December 20, 2013 at 6:00 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Rob Benham

I'm sure you will have seen this.  But just in case . . .

http://www.seikowatches.com/support/ib/pdf/SEIKO_RCR07.pdf

• As an aside, I was presented with the brochure for a Seiko Astron this week.  Seems to rather take the sport out of navigation. 
January 15, 2014 at 2:41 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Arpie

Today I'm wearing my 7T27 Gen 2 . Hard to choose which one I prefer: the Gen 1 or Gen 2 ? I guess that's why I had to have both :)

June 6, 2014 at 5:50 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Phil

I just bought myself one of these 7T27-7A10, a quirky looking thing but quite nice, should arrive in a week or so

June 2, 2015 at 11:41 AM Flag Quote & Reply

garacs1

I had the pleasure to work on Phil's 7A10, since the chronograph function was not working. It went down being a non-working coil block, which I replaced with one of mine. Since I had to take the movement apart, I decided to take a couple of pictures, to document how this movement is made, since there are no manuals to be found on the net.

Well, basically the 7T27 is constructed just like a normal 7T32, minus some parts, and some other minor differences. Here's how it looks inside:

Not having an alarm complication, the bottom plate is empty where it should be populated with the keyless work and secondary crown:

The next picture is probably the most important. It shows how the 24hour complication is controlled by the small seconds gears, that in this particular movement is position at 6o'clock, and not at the usual 9o'clock:

The connection betwheen the small seconds gear and the 24 hour gear is achieved by a small metallic cog:

In these pictures, the small seconds gears are on the top, of course.

This is a very simple movement, if compared to a normal 7T32, actually.

--

My personal Blog: www.onlyvintagewatches.com/blog

August 8, 2015 at 11:34 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Phil

Very useful pictures and information George but landing that bridge :/ I don't think I would have the patience, it's hard enough on a 7a. I look forward to receiving it back and thank you for helping me.

Regards Phil

August 8, 2015 at 12:19 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Anyone seeking a replacement movement for a 7T27 ?  I think I may have accidentally stumbled across a cheaper substitute. 

Going by the crown / pusher arrangement and sub-dial markings I've seen on a few watches, I reckon the Shiojiri Ltd. YM57A is one and the same thing (with a differently stamped backplate). They're most commonly found in Camel Trophy chrono's (google them) - but I just spotted this Honda YM57-6A20 currently listed on eBay by a Dutch seller:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HONDA-CHRONOGRAPH-/321881553172

Can't be bothered to upload any photos. Have a look for yourself. :P

October 3, 2015 at 2:17 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.