Seiko 7A38 - by the numbers

Subtitle

Forums

Forum Home > 7A38-xxxx Model Specific Area > 7A38-701B SAA005J - the 'mythical' yellow-faced RAF Vulcan

Phil

I rather like the leather strap with yellow stitching. Being a newbie to these watches and fairly lazy I haven't researched the bracelets ....

Edit by Admin:  content moved here.

September 30, 2014 at 12:42 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Phil. If you are seriously considering purchasing a 7A38-701B 'Vulcan' at some point and are in any way concerned about authenticity and originality, then may I heartily recommend that you do your homework first. The correct original Seiko p/n Z1118S bracelet used on the 7A38-7010 / -701A and -701B was very prone to stretching and breakage. Seiko UK ran out of replacements years ago and if the OP Robb in this thread on MWR is to be believed, started supplying / fitting 'alternative' Seiko bracelets themselves.

Apart from the ubiquitous 20mm 'Feiko' which isn't that good a match (especially in the quality of finish), there are plenty of are other similar-looking Seiko 20mm bracelets (like p/n's B1688S and B1424S) to catch out the unwary. Indeed, if you go back to the first page of this thread and look at the example which Simon bought off eBay in June 2012, we both got caught out. I had advised him that the bracelet looked kocher, but failed to notice it was fitted with a 5-hole adjustable clasp.

September 30, 2014 at 2:51 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

I'm surprised no-one has commented on this rather nice looking 7A38-701B 'Vulcan' listed by a UK eBay seller yesterday evening:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281464386155

The description is shall we say a little misleading:

Seiko Air Crew Quartz Chronograph.

Near perfect condition, British Military issue, always believed to be Vulcan Bomber air crew issue, although some forums now dispute this.

This particular timepiece was a direct release from the MOD, and has been kept immaculate, only worn a few times, still has the original box, instruction manual, even the spare links for the strap.

I believe only 700 of these were made, whether it is Vulcan or not, it is still a very rare genuine Military watch.

Out of the 700 made, I cannot believe you could find a better example of this superb watch.

Reluctant sale to help fund a new project, starting bid of £500.

Advertised elsewhere may remove if sold.

Any questions, or viewing appointments please mail or call Julian 07970 207097.

I am willing to post worldwide, please ask for a postage quote.

Belated edit: I did send a message to the eBay seller, asking a couple of questions regarding the case-back (which weren't published).

He duly replied: Hi Paul. The serial no. is 394199, there are no marks on the case; maybe a reflection. Thanks Julian.

October 11, 2014 at 4:15 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

If you've done any kind of research into these watches (and there's a LOT of reading out there on various other watch forums) ....

The deceptive wording of the the seller's description and their location of Ripley, Derbyshire should strike an immediate chord. ;)

The eBay seller is (David) Julian Hogg, a military surplus dealer - and one-time director of Anchor Supplies also based in Ripley.

The 'Vulcan' myth was effectively instigated by Anchor Supplies 10 years ago. The quote from their now defunct web page reads:

Sometimes also available as the Yellow Face variety which was a special issue for Vulcan Flight Crew...

but a substantially higher cost. If you would like a "Yellow Face" please email us... we will add you to our waiting list.

NOTE: we have seen only TWO Yellow faced Seiko "Vulcan" watches in the past 5 years...

both were used and were individually sold in excess of £1000 each !!!

We are reliably informed that a Seiko Vulcan yellow Face fetched over $2600 in eBay USA recently.

If you would like to purchase one of these sought after watches please email us.

For those of you who haven't done any background reading (other than this thread) here's two older threads from TZ-UK:

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.php?96753  Is it time to lay the Vulcan Seiko to rest? - long overdue methinks. :roll:

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.php?144711 Vulcan 100% Genuine Military Issue Fact! - proven complete and utter Fiction !

and the rambling 13-page mega-thread which I started on RLT back in May 2009, which has now received over 45,000 views:

http://www.thewatchforum.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=42608 Cheap Seiko 7A38-701B 'RAF Vulcan' on Ebay ....

The thread includes quite a few references to Anchor Supplies. I concluded this particularly relevant post  from July 2009 with:

I reckon the guy behind the counter at Anchor Supplies is (and was back then in 1991) 'a bit' of a watch buff. ;)

Not averse to buying job lots of obsolete Citizen and Seiko watches, and putting them in 'small plain cardboard boxes'.

So you can imagine my amusement at seeing Julian offering this 'Vulcan' with a boring Seiko period watch box rather than an allegedly MOD marked brown waxed cardboard box.  :lol: Note also that it comes supplied with an incorrect Seiko 7T27 instruction manual. :roll:

October 11, 2014 at 4:44 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

That all said - ignoring the 'military issued' bnllsh!t and the 'Vulcan' myth, this is clearly a very nice example of a 7A38-701B ....

Certainly the best condition example we've seen listed on eBay since I started this model specific thread on our little forum.

Just a word of caution, if you plan on bidding on it: http://offer.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&item=281464386155

It's another of those Private listing - Bidders' identities protected auctions - wide open to (and notorious for) shill bidding.

October 11, 2014 at 5:58 AM Flag Quote & Reply

ricor

So you can imagine my amusement at seeing Julian offering this 'Vulcan' with a boring Seiko period watch box rather than an allegedly MOD marked brown waxed cardboard box.

Hi Paul,

a question which was long time ago on my mind is, what does the original watch box of the 7Axx look like and what do you mean by the word "MOD" ?

October 11, 2014 at 4:30 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Ridvan. There are many different styles of Seiko presentation boxes which could be classed as 'period correct' for a Seiko 7Axx. It very much depends on the geography, but even say for UK and USA, I've seen 2 or 3 different styles (for each). In fact, I should really have been clearer and said that the box which Julian Hogg is selling with his 'Vulcan' is almost period correct. It's a slightly later design which came out in the early 90's (so presumably once belonged, like the manual, to a 7T27).

The most common style of Seiko box used for 7Axx's in the UK was this. It came moulded in dark blue, maroon or grey plastic:

This is the German market equivalent (note the box's sharper corners) which came in Dark Grey, like this or Dark Blue.

PS - 'MOD' = Ministry of Defence. 

October 11, 2014 at 5:49 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Phil

I have been dribbling ever since I saw this on eBay, unfortunately it's out of my price range at this moment in time, it really is a stunner and will be interesting to see how much it goes for. One that will remain on my wish list probably for a long time as I can't see these coming down in price they are so rare. Interesting history of Mr Hogg I wonder how many more he may have tucked away.

PS thanks for the info Paul

Regards Phil

October 12, 2014 at 1:27 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

The auction for that mint-ish 7A38-701B 'Vulcan' ended about five minutes ago:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281464386155

Having lingered at £510 for most of the week, all it needed was a couple of heavy-hitting snipers in the final seconds to push it beyond most people's sensible reach. Indeed, much as I may have fancied it myself, my own sub-700 Auctionsniper bid didn't even register. :(

Sold for £732 after 5 bids. I find it appalling how little visibility the listing got. According to my eBay 'ending soon' notification, this morning there were only 39 people watching it. The auction only received a total of 243 views, as it wasn't listed 'worldwide'. :/

Phil. To answer your question. I am sure there are a few more odd mint (and waxed cardboard) boxed 7A38-701B Vulcans 'tucked away' by Julian Hogg's old associates at Anchor Supplies. Remember Charlotte 'Charlie Chuckles' example on TZ_UK, for starters ? ;)

October 17, 2014 at 3:05 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Phil

Paul, I am honestly a real newbie to the watch game and more so to 7A28's/38's so I genuinely have very little knowledge of what clearly has been a well organised scam regarding these watches. They are still great and perhaps the scam keeps the value quite high. I would love to own one some day.

October 17, 2014 at 5:19 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Well here's your second chance. Phil ! :P Looks like Julian Hogg is still living the dream. :roll:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281493337313

At a quick glance, without having compared the descriptions word for word, this appears to be a clone of his previous listing - apart from the 'pie in the sky' £2000 Buy-it-Now asking price. :o The photos used are the same as in the previous listing. Indeed, if you click on the link to the previous auction listing, it now shows: The seller has relisted this item or one like this. Whether this is the same 7A38-701B, serial # 394199 which may, in reality, have gone unsold post facto, three weeks or so ago - or another one from Anchor Supplies stash is anybody's guess. :/ Unfortunately because Julian Hogg chooses to make all his listings private, there's no way of telling if anyone left him a feedback against the previous one - nor hence any evidence of its actual sale @ £732.

November 11, 2014 at 1:10 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Phil

I think I'll get two Paul, surely that must be the record? You've got to feel for the chaps that bought these at the height of the scam.

November 11, 2014 at 11:23 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner
Julian Hogg's first listing with the £2000 'pie-in-the-sky' Buy-it-Now price ended on 20th November, having received 2 offers.

One was a very cheeky low-ball offer of only £250, the other a not unreasonable £555. JH didn't respond to either and they expired.

He subsequently re-listed it for another 10 days and that listing ended this morning. This time there were apparently 4 offers made.

In fact only two parties expressed an interest. From what I can deduce from the above, bidder a made a reasonable 3-figure offer in the last week of November; Julian Hogg presumably responded with an undisclosed sky-high 4-figure counter-offer. Bidder a then made him a more than generous counter-counter offer of £900, which Julian Hogg apparently ignored and allowed to expire. :roll:

Yesterday, bidder b made an offer of £666. JH responded with a counter-offer of £1800.

The listing ended before bidder b could stop laughing. 

December 2, 2014 at 7:07 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Phil

I think we'll have to start calling you "Q" 8)

December 3, 2014 at 4:25 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Then again, if you want to see stupid pie-in-the sky asking prices on a variety of 7A38's (not just 'Vulcan's), there's always eBay Italy.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/191499837397

The would-be seller's breif description simply reads: introvabile da collezione.

February 1, 2015 at 3:10 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Phil

I messaged this chap after the auction finished and offered him £100 this is what I got back

"they offered me 2000 euros if you want me oggra 2100"  :lol:

February 7, 2015 at 9:55 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

No doubt some of you will aleady have seen this thread, started yesterday evening on SCWF by an Italian forum member Itau:

http://www.thewatchsite.com/21-japanese-watch-discussion-forum/163682.html - The very rare 7a38 Vulcan

Now call me cynical if you like (you know I am :P ), but particularly on SCWF and WristSushi, 'Show and Tell' threads like these are frequently a precursor to the watch being offered for sale in the near future - as a means to create and gauge interest.

I may be completely wrong in this instance, but watch this space. ;)

April 25, 2015 at 11:39 AM Flag Quote & Reply

fmc000

Luigino - Itau is an extremely nice guy and an avid collector. His blog is http://itauseikocollector.blogspot.it/ , a page that everyone with some love with the brand should have bookmarked. I don't really see any of his watches going for sale in the forseeable future.

--

My Seiko chronos: SPV002 - SDX008J1 - SFA005J1 - PSZ006P1

April 27, 2015 at 8:58 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Thank you for pointing that out, Fabio. Then my apologies to Luigino - but if you read what I actually wrote .... ;)

There isn't actually very much 7Axx content on his website: http://itauseikocollector.blogspot.it/p/cronografi-al-quarzo-7ax8.html

Currently just two watches: a Titanium 7A28-7080 and the aforementioned 7A38-701B Vulcan, which he has captioned incorrectly:

Perhaps you could point out his mistake to him. ;)

April 27, 2015 at 9:35 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

It's been a while since a 7A38-701B 'Vulcan' has been offered for sale. This cosmetically tidy-looking example was listed on eBay Germany about half an hour ago, with a Buy-it-Now asking price of 499 Euros. Pity about the recalcitrant sweep second hand. :/

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151968862653

Seiko 7A38-701B 

Seiko "Vulcan Bomber" aus Sammlung. 7A38-701B.

Die Uhr läuft und ist für ihr Alter in einem guten Zustand.

Lünette,Zifferblatt,Zeigersatz in gutem Zustand

Einziges Manko, aufgrund der etwas längeren "Liegezeit"

Der große Sekundenzeiger hängt fest, ist aber für einen versierten Seiko Fan oder guten Uhrmacher kein Problem.

Vermutlich ist der Motor/Antrieb etwas verharzt.

Die Bilder sind Bestandteil der Artikelbeschreibung. 

Privatverkauf.

January 31, 2016 at 11:40 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.