Seiko 7A38 - by the numbers

Subtitle

Forums

Forum Home > 7A38-xxxx Model Specific Area > 7A38-7050 SAA025J Stainless Large 'Diver' (Silver anodised finish)

jair1970

Hidden away on Ebay Germany this week under the title: Herrlicher Seiko Quartz Chronograph Sports 100 TOP Zustand

was this: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/itm/251103212806

The German seller's description:

Zur Auktion kommen aus einer Sammlungsauflösung einige sehr schöne Uhren zur Versteigerung. 

Bei dieser Auktion handelt es sich um einen sehr schönen Seiko Quartz Chronographen Sports 100 

Drehbare Lünette 

Seiko Edelstahlarmband 

Werk: Quartz (gebrauchte Batterie im Werk) 

Maße: ca. 40 mm Breite o. Drücker 

Zustand: Guterm, eigentlich sehr guter Zustand - wenig getragen 

Funktion: alles in Ordnung

roughly translates as:

In this auction it is a very nice Seiko Quartz Chronograph Sports 100

rotating bezel

Seiko Stainless Steel Bracelet

Movement: Quartz (battery used in the factory)

measurements: 40 mm width excluding handles

condition: Guterm actually very good condition - a little worn

function:  all right

The claims that it was 'a little worn' look hard to validate and the key kicker here (as seen in the last picture) was the caseback sticker, implying that it had barely been worn. Super desirable, pretty rare and obviously located by a few fans of the calibre judging by its well realised price of over £370.

Initially, I thought that was very high, but on reflection, one of these is nearly NOS condition? You're getting close to hen's teeth territory. So congrats to the purchaser, a real gem there.

July 16, 2012 at 10:21 AM Flag Quote & Reply

V10K

It was myself.  Apologies for stepping on The Big Cheese's toes, I know he's still sulking but I saw it and bought without thinking of anyone else, how selfish of me.

July 16, 2012 at 4:33 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

As you may (or not) have noticed I've treated your snide remark with the contempt it deserves. 

Just don't ever come crawling asking for advice on yet another prospective 7Axx purchase. You know what the answer will be. 

September 5, 2012 at 2:41 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Meanwhile .... these things do also turn up (in lightly used condition) in the strangest of places. Anybody understand Turkish ?

http://urun.gittigidiyor.com/mucevher-saat/seiko-7a38-7050-model-kol-saati-60485981

SEIKO 7A38 - 7050 MODEL Watch

SEIKO 7A38 - 7050 MODEL KOL SAATİ

CHORONOGRAPH ÖZELLİĞİNE SAHİPTİR.

İŞVİÇRE YAPIMI

ÇELİK KASA VE KORDONA SAHİPTİR.

PİLLİ ŞEKİLDE SORUNSUZ ÇALIŞMAKTADIR.

ÇAPI 4MM'DİR

XXL RESİMLERİNE AŞAĞIDAN BAKABİLİRSİNİZ.

September 5, 2012 at 2:46 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Here's a fairly well-used, but reasonably tidy 7A38-7050  which was listed on eBay Germany in the last week of September 2012:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/330797076757

RAR !!! SEIKO Chronograph Sports 100 - Modell 7A38

Sie bieten auf einen sportlichen SEIKO Chrono der Sports 100 Serie. Die Uhr hat ein Quarzwerk, Kal. 7A38, letzteres in den 80’gern auf dem Markt. Die Model stammt von 1984 und kommt optisch sehr gut rüber – Durchmesser beträgt ca. 42 mm.

Das Glas hat ein paar nicht erhebliche Kratzer. Die Lünette lässt sich leichtgängig drehen. Die Drücker der Chrono-Funktion sind leichtgängig – die Dichtungen wurden vor ein paar Jahren erneuert.

Das Edelstahlarmband dürfte inkl. der Uhr mit 20,7 cm ausreichend lang sein. Ein echter Klassiker aus den 80’gern.

Aufgrund des Alters der Uhr empfiehlt sich eine Überprüfung der Wasserdichtigkeit bei einem Fachmann. Die Uhr funktioniert.

Viel Spaß beim Bieten.

Versand nur nach DEUTSCHLAND und ÖSTERREICH! Versandgebühr nach ÖSTERREICH bitte erfragen.

The seller's description restricted shipment to only Germany and Austria - it sold for 128.55 Euros (approx. £104) after 13 bids:

Another 7A38-7050 popped up on eBay Germany, last week. Obviously used, but in rather better original condition than the above:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181005208727

SEIKO QUARTZ CHRONOGRAPH SPORTS 100 CAL.7A38 EDELSTAHL HAU.BEDINUNG.wohl um1980!

WUNDERSCHÖNE EDELSTAHL QUARTZ SEIKO CHRONOGRAPH SPORTS 100 CAL.7A38 HAU. wohl um1980 !

IM GUTEM GEBRAUCHTEM ZUSTAND ! MIT BEDINUNGSANLEITUNG !

DIE UHR FUNKTIONIERT UND HALTET AUCH DIE ZEIT !

KOMPLETT IN EDELSTAHL

ORIGINAL SEIKO EDELSTAHLBAND

NEUE BATTERIE WURDE MONTIERT !

DURCHMESSER OHNE KRONE:40mm

EDELSTAHLBAND MIT FALTSCHLIEßE

ZIFFERNBLATT ANTHRAZITGRAU

SIEHE BILDER

November 2, 2012 at 2:54 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

As we didn't have a pukka model specific topic started for the 7A38-7050, I've moved James' thread to this section and re-named it.

The part of the revised topic title which I've temporarily given it: (Seiko SAAxxxJ sales code unknown) .... 

is due to the unfortunate fact that there is no data (at all) for this particular model to be found on Seiko's Oceania database.

The sister model to the 7A38-7050, using the same case and bracelet, but with orange chrono' hands, dial and bezel lettering ....

The 7A38-705A is fully documented - and has a sales code of SAA027J. One could possibly make an assumption that it was SAA025J, but that also falls in the same range as SAA021J - SAA029J used for the 7A38-704x model range which was produced concurrently. :/

Edit: Two weeks later, although the original topic may have got off to an acrimonious start, this appears to have been a good idea. 8)

Specification and Buyers Guide - 7A38-7050 SAA025J

Size: 41.5mm diameter (excluding crown and pushers) x 39.5mm over lug ends x 13mm deep.

Case material: Stainless Steel - Silver anodized finish.

Bi-directional 60-click bezel, with distinctive castellated finger grips.

Black moulded acrylic resin bezel insert with conventional 'Diver' minute scale:  5,10,15,20,25,30,35,40,45,50,55 in bright Green.

Dial: Part number is 7A38707LX993. Unfortunately there isn't any parts data shown for the 7A38-7050 on Seiko's database (at all).

The main dial colour is dark grey with black sub-dials. Dial printing is a mixture of mainly bright peppermint green and silvery-white.

Dial markings: SEIKO (printed logo) QUARTZ Chronograph SPORTS 100; at bottom JAPAN 7A38 707L T Suwa symbol.

The matching dark grey plastic Tachymeter ring is printed in Peppermint Green.

Day and Date wheels: White lettering on black background. Second languages seen include: French, German and Spanish.

Hands: Hour and Minute hands are Silver (with lume). Sweep second hand is silvery white; chronograph hands are peppermint green.

Seiko crystal p/n: 315W20GN00 - 31.5mm Ø x 2.50mm thick, flat with a polished bevel edge - Obsolete NLA; no exact replacement substitute identified as yet, but there are various 31.5mm Ø x 2.5mm crystals which could be fitted as a 'stop gap', for example: Seiko p/n 315P15HN02 as used in the SKX007 (7S26-0020) Diver. However the difference in size of their polished bevel edges is noticeable.

Case-back markings: Double Wave Caseback; 7A38-7050 [A0] SEIKO; STAINLESS STEEL; WATER RESISTANT; JAPAN Q.

Bracelet is Seiko p/n Z1148S. Underside of joining links are stamped Z1148. Silver anodized with black painted interconnecting links.

The bracelet tapers from 23mm to 16mm at the clasp. Adjustment links are retained by / pivot on 0.9mm diameter split pins.

Bracelet to watch case fixings are by Pin and Tube, Seiko part numbers 81601169 and 81180109.

Bracelet is fitted with the period standard 7-hole adjustable Z-fold type clasp, measuring 35mm x 16mm; cover stamped Seiko SQ 

Production dates: Serial numbers seen range from 43xxxx to 44xxxx - March through April, 1984.

Geography: Nominally a world-wide export model, a high proportion of these seem to turn up on eBay in Europe.

Buyers Tips:

The Z1148S bracelet used on the 7A38-7050 (and 7A38-705A) is it's weakest link. The main link sections are quite sustantial, but the small black interconnecting links, apart from losing their black paint very easily, are very prone to stretching, twisting and opening out.

Like many other bluff-ended case designs, the sharp corners on the upper ends ot the watch case are vulnerable to knocks.

Price Guide: $150 - $550 dependant upon condition.

Rarity Factor: 3/5 - Hard To Find (in good condition).

November 2, 2012 at 3:07 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

I wouldn't normally comment on an eBay listing (in the relevant 7A38-xxxx model specific thread) before the auction has ended.

But as incoming google searches are already bringing visitors to this thread, I thought I ought to write a cautionary word or two.

Listed earlier this morning by a would-be seller in Malta was this rather tired-looking 7A38-7050:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121022026350

VINTAGE SEIKO 7A38 - 7050 QUARTZ CHRONOGRAPH WRIST WATCH

The rather lengthy listing description (which I have condensed the spacing of) reads as follows:

VINTAGE SEIKO 7A38 - 7050 STAINLESS STEEL QUARTZ CHRONOGRAPH MANS WATCH 

HUGELY OVER-ENGINEERED, MASSIVE SPEC WITH 4 STEPPER MOTORS 

NO-ONE (INCLUDING SEIKO) BUILDS WATCHES TO THIS SPEC CURRENTLY 

MOST UNUSUAL DIAL / HAND FONT COLOUR COMBINATION .....PALE/SPEARMINT GREEN (which unfortunately my pictures don`t do justice) :-

The hour markers, the hour & minute hands, sweep second hand, the hands for the 1/10 sec and min sub-dials, the font on the chapter ring, the numbers on the rotating bezel and the `Chronograph` script on the dial are in a spearmint green colour 

I have owned and handled many of these but have never seen another like this 

I understand it to have been only for the Far East / Domestic (Japan) market 

Rotating bi-directional bezel 

Slate grey dial and chapter ring with black sub-dials for the chronograph functions 

White on black day/date display 

Totally original and `unmolested ` example ( I believe) in pretty good condition, however, has been regularly worn and as a result there are........ 

Some scratches and contact marks to case sides and edges 

Some scratches to crystal & bezel insert 

A few light toolmarks to caseback 

Stainless steel screw-down caseback stamped (outside):-

7A38 - 7050 AO 441895 JAPAN Q WATER RESISTANT SEIKO STAINLESS STEEL

All functions working correctly, day/date change smoothly and promptly, all chronograph functions re-set promptly and to zero

VERY UNUSUAL WATCH (FIND ANOTHER!!)

IN GOOD CONDITION

I have done my best to accurately and honestly describe this watch, however, my knowledge is NOT exhaustive and my opinions regarding condition are necessarily subjective. 

They are very popular watches and have an avid following of much more knowledgeable people than I . If I have missed the mark in any respect I am sure there will be someone along shortly who can correct me 

SEIKO 7A38A 15 jewel quartz movement 

LARGE 42 mm diameter case excl. crown/pushers 

Slate grey dial with applied lume hour markers andblack colour sub- dials for the chronograph functions 

Divided window day/date display at 3 o`clock. 

Hardlex crystal 

Screw-down caseback 

All chronograph functions re-set to zero as they should 

Fresh battery 

Very good condition, however, this watch has been worn and thus shows some very light scratches. 

Some toolmarks to caseback .

As soon as I started to read it, it looked all too familiar - I remember it well. It has been copied (verbatim) from this listing last year:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/180700487167

Here are 3 of the 6 photos from the original listing (the other 3 are very similar):

If you read this thread on the RLT watch forum: http://www.thewatchforum.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=67544 you'll see that it didn't actually sell first time around (nor second or third, IIRC). That same eBay listing description is also included in a later post of mine.

This 7A38-7050 is in much worse condition than the one discussed in that thread. It is very tired - just look at the hands and bracelet.

Maybe worth $99 (the opening bid) if you fancy a long-term restoration project, but certainly not the Buy-it-Now price of $339 !!! 

In case you hadn't noticed the seller's biggest mistake in copying the description verbatim from somebody else's listing ....

Compare the serial number in his photo: 441760 with the quoted 441895 from the original listing description and photo. 

November 17, 2012 at 5:04 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

That rather tired example of a 7A38-7050 sold earlier this morning for $152.06 (approx. £95) after 5 bids:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121022026350

November 24, 2012 at 5:35 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

A 7A38-7050 fitted with an unidentified non-original bracelet (undeclared by the seller) was listed on eBay UK in mid-January 2013:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181063097582

Vintage Seiko Sports 100 7a38 7050 watch.

Here is a unusual vintage Seiko watch - the model is: 7a38 7050. It is in good condition with just minor wear marks and everything works as it should - all chronograph dials and date etc. The Seiko manual comes with it too. P&P £6 first class recorded. Can post abroad but cost will differ.

Bidding ended about 20 minutes ago at £76 after 11 bids. The auction received 252 views over the 3 day listing period.

January 18, 2013 at 10:49 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

It wasn't really a surprise to see this same 7A38-7050 with the same ill-fitting incorrect bracelet re-surface less than a month later. :roll:

http://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/164592598

レア! セイコー 7A38 ビックベゼル クロノ/ジウジアーロ

The Japanese seller 'swotlab' is asking a risible 31,000 Yen (£212 / $332) opening bid or 36,000 Yen (£247 / $386) for a Buy-it-Now.

Bearing in mind he bought it for only £76 four weeks ago. Typical of this re-seller's modus operandi - buy low on eBay (his user ID is mcn260) often distinctly dodgy watches from  the Philippines, do nothing with them and try to sell for quick fat profit on Yahoo Japan.

I'm not going to bother translating the lengthy Japanese description. You can do that yourself using Google, same as I can. Suffice to say it sings all the virtues of the Seiko 7Axx in a typically flowery manner, but omits to mention the unidentifed non-original bracelet.

February 12, 2013 at 9:50 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Although it's origins (manufacturer / application) are unknown, I've since identified the source of the incorrect bracelet now fitted to

this 7A38-7050. It was originally fitted (again as a make-do replacement) to a stainless 7A38-6020 sold by Hong Kong eBay seller 'reckness' (item # 190734471521) on 10th October to Mike Mounce. He in turn resold it a fortnight later (item # 321007160168) to 'Lesterplant' (a.k.a. A. Braniff in Workington, Cumbria). He, in his infinite wisdom and no doubt with a profit in mind, decided to swap the incorrect bracelet from the 7A38-6020 onto the 7A38-7050, which is how he sold it and it now appears listed on Yahoo Japan.

So what happened to the original p/n Z1148S bracelet off this 7A38-7050 - presuming it had one ? Indeed it appears it once did. 

It's now fitted to the ex-reckness, ex-pmounce 7A38-6020 and offered for sale on eBay as item # 380575560300 by Lesterplant.

Thanks to his thoughtless intervention, there are now two desirable 7A38 'Divers' fitted with the wrong bracelet, instead of just one. 

February 12, 2013 at 12:31 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

The Japanese seller 'swotlab' is asking a risible 31,000 Yen (£212 / $332) opening bid or 36,000 Yen (£247 / $386) for a Buy-it-Now.

Laughable as that 31,000 Yen opening bid price may have seemed, once again Swotlab found a buyer and that's what he sold it for.

Which reminded me of a similar previous instance and at the same time gives me the opportunity to add a bit of 'history' to this topic.

The first 7A38-7050 that I saw on eBay was a pretty tired looking polished example, fitted with an incorrect replacement bracelet.

It was back in August 2009. I can't find the auction listing, nor remember who the seller was, but I suspect it was one of the Filipinos.

But I do remember what became of it. It re-appeared on Yahoo Japan Auctions a couple of weeks later, offered by re-seller 'Swotlab'.

February 18, 2013 at 5:42 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Italian eBay seller Goffre78 - he of the 'Craziest of Crazy Prices' thread notoriety, listed a 7A38-7050 a couple of days ago.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/190885391769

His usual poor quality photos:

Followed by his usual sem-literate multi-lingual description (joke), including the customary: IMPOSIBOL FIND! GOOD LUKE 

Although the watch head looked tidy, the bracelet wasn't in 'MINT CONDITION', the small joining links all minus their matt black finish.

The listing wasn't live for long. I missed the coming and going of it and only found it today, while running a search on ended auctions.

Presumably someone must have made him an offer (off eBay) to end the listing early. Let's hope they didn't pay a silly price for it. :/

August 21, 2013 at 2:35 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

It's been a while since we've seen one, but a 7A38-7050 was listed on eBay Germany in the last week of December 2013:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/400634675474

SCHÖNER SEIKO QUARTZ CHRONOGRAPH SPORTS 100 EDELSTAHL UM 1980 !

Biete schönen Seiko Quartz Sports 100 Chronograph Herrenarmbanduhr ! 

Sehr gutes Quartzwerk Seiko mit Datum und Stopfunktion, Läuft gut. 

Ihr original Zifferblatt ist schwarz mit weißen Index. 

Es ist Signiert: """ SEIKO QUARTZ CHRONOGRAPH SPORTS 100 "" ". 

Original Gehäuse und verschraubter Boden aus Edelstahl. 

Beitseitig drehbare Lünette. 

Der Durchmesser ist ca 40.5 mm und 11 mm Hoch, alles ohne Krone gemessen. 

Die Uhr ist noch schön, hat aber auch einge Gebrauchs und Tragespuren, Glas hat einige Kratzer, siehe Bilder. 

Original Edelstahlarmband Seiko. 

Die Bilder zeigen den Original Zustand der Uhr.

From the seller's photos it looked to be in generally pretty good used condition. Their translated description included the sentence:

The clock is still beautiful, but also has been use and wear marks, glass has some scratches, see pictures.

There was evidence of a small ding on the top R.H. corner of the watch case and some deterioration of the hands lume.

As usual, some of the small bracelet interconnecting links were missing matt black paint, but these are easily touched up.

By mid-afternoon bidding had stalled around the 55 Euros mark - up until the final few minutes when there was a flurry of activity.

It finally sold for 200.67 Euros (approx. £166.17) after 26 bids:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/400634675474

January 5, 2014 at 1:08 PM Flag Quote & Reply

ricor

Hi,

i kept an eye on this beauty, too. A couple of days before the Auction ended, i sent the Seller some Questions, but without any Response, hm... :/ well this is something, which makes me a little bit nervous, if You understand. ;)

But, nevertheless I was really ready to bid more than the 200 Euros and nearly 10 min. before the end i once again examined the pictures again and again...and found something, which kept me away from placing my "High" Bid, so take a closer look at the inner Tachymeter Ring... ;)

January 9, 2014 at 8:50 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Well spotted, Ridvan.  I probably noticed myself at some point, but then completely forgot to mention it in my post. 

A mis-aligned Tachymeter ring isn't that big a deal. If you look at the underside of one - whether it's a Tachymeter or a minute marker ring, you'll see that there are small pips moulded in the plastic, some of which (but not always all) line up with various cut-outs around the perimeter of the dial plate and designed to help locate / orient the ring correctly. The Tachymeter ring in a Seiko 7A38 is usually sandwiched between the bezel and the case, or between the crystal and the case and is free to rotate when the movement is removed. There is sometimes also a small amount of vertical play, which means that it is possible for the unwary tinkerer to remove and replace a movement without properly aligning the dial / ring. Apart from the obvious misalignment of the numbers ('60' on a Tachymeter scale should be at 12 o'clock), this may show up as a slightly larger than normal gap between them, when viewed from the side, or shadow.

That's what's happened in the case of this 7A38-7050. Someone has taken the movement out, at some point, for whatever reason and replaced it - without taking due care. Maybe a good reason to have avoided it - but possibly not.

January 9, 2014 at 11:24 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

A 7A38-7050 was listed on eBay overnight by Filipino arch-watch-botcher Ramoncito Bangit a.k.a. eBay seller Badingski.

At first glance it might look better than some of his other offerings, but true to form, it is not all original despite his claims.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201051705508

Check out the incorrect hour and minute hands he's fitted - compare them with previous examples in this thread.

Because of the mis-match, one must assume the lume in the original hands was as badly degraded as the dial batons. :roll:

Not only is Badingski a more than occasional stranger to the truth, seems he's also a master of understatement. 

Note his: CASE BACK : Original,STAINLESS STEEL BACKCASE signed SEIKO LOGO #, SLIGHTLY POLISHED,

More like skimmed to within an inch of its life.

March 14, 2014 at 8:55 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Regardless of the wrong replacement hands fitted, overnight, Badingski's 7A38-7050 sold for $232.50 (approx. £140.82) after 14 bids.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201051705508

March 21, 2014 at 4:24 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Ever get that sense of  Déjà vu ? :| I do - all too frequently lately. :roll:

Some would-be eBay profiteering re-sellers make it all too easy - as in this instance by re-using all the previous seller's listing photos. 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181377926741

UP FOR AUCTION IS AN ALL ORIGINAL SEIKO CHRONOGRAPH WATCH. THIS IS A RARE MODEL WHICH

1) IS IN GOOD WORKING ORDER, JUST REPLACED THE CROWN WITH AN ORIGINAL SEIKO 7A38 CROWN, NEW BATTERY, MOVEMENT WORKS GOOD, KEEPS GOOD TIME AND HANDS RESET TO CENTER WITHOUT ISSUE. MOVEMENT HAS A WHOPPING 15JEWELS WHICH TAKES UP THE WHOLE CASE CAVITY. THIS IS ONE OF SEIKO'S BEST. THE MOVEMENT IS VERY ACCURATE, ADJUSTABLE AND HAS ALL METAL GEARS.

2) CASE AND CRYSTAL HAVE BEEN RECENTLY LIGHTLY POLISHED SO THE COSMETIC CONDITION IS REALLY GOOD, ESPECIALLY FOR A WATCH FROM THE EARLY 80'S.

SHIPPING/HANDLING/WITH TRACKING IS FREE IN THE U.S. ONLY 

BUY NOW SET BUT SLIGHTLY NEGOTIABLE FOR SERIOUS BUYERS, SHIPPED TO A CONFIRMED ADDRESS ONLY.

Can't say that I'd noticed anything wrong with the crown in Badingski's photos; it looked like the correct Seiko p/n 45M76NS1 to me.

However, the would-be US re-seller has made no mention of the incorrect hands fitted, so he obviously hadn't sussed that himself.

To add insult to injury, the US seller is offering this ex-Badingski 7A38-7050 through eBay's GSP (fail) program, which for European buyers, if any were so foolhardy, adds another $101.47 to his already inflated asking price of $350. :o

Belated edit: The seller subsequently reduced the Buy-it-Now Price from $349.99 to $299.99:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemRevisionDetails&item=181377926741

The only slight amendment to the description I could see was:

JUST REPLACED THE CROWN WITH ANOTHER ORIGINAL SEIKO 7A38 CROWN ....

Further reductions to the Buy-it-Now price followed. By 14th April it had dropped to 'only' $269.99. :roll:

Belated footnote:

The already revised listing was ended early, 3 days later. Which 'error' in the listing remains open to debate. The price perhaps ? :roll:

The seller received 4 offers which he declined, including two from the same would-be purchaser of $250:

http://offer.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBidsLogin&item=181377926741

I suspect the true reason it was ended is that the transaction was completed off eBay and the seller wanted to save fees face. 

April 10, 2014 at 4:48 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

This poorly titled auction listing for a 7A38-7050 on eBay Germany ended about half an hour ago:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/380885572968

Biete einen seiko chronograph gehäuse edelstahl ca 42mm durchmesser schwarzes zifferblatt mit datumsanzeige ,schwarze drehbare lünette mit tachymeterskala ,langes seiko edelstahlband uhr läuft chronofunktion auch ok ,uhr ist gebraucht mit altersbedingten gebrauchtspuren auf dem glas kratzer vorhanden ,siehe bilder.

As you can see from my screen print at the top of this post, with 10 minutes to go, bidding had stalled at only at 56 Euros.

With 10 seconds remaining, it was up to 99 Euros, but I had a pretty good Idea there would be some last second sniping ....

Indeed there was. It finally sold for 151.55 Euros (approx £124.74) after 13 bids: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/380885572968

The winning bidder sniped in the last two seconds: http://offer.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&item=380885572968

The winning bidder's abbreviated encrypted eBay ID looks all too familiar - if I'm not mistaken it belongs to a profiteering re-seller.

So I wouldn't be surprised to see this re-listed: properly titled; the asking price typically marked up, in the not-too-distant future. 

April 20, 2014 at 5:52 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.