Seiko 7A38 - by the numbers

Subtitle

Forums

Forum Home > 7A38-xxxx Model Specific Area > 7A38-7140 SAA051J - Black Chrome coated (NOT a Guigiaro design)

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

As there currently seems to be rather a lot of interest (from the number of incoming google searches bringing vistors to the forum) ....

I guess I'd better write up a topic on this sought-after 7A38 variant a bit pronto. So I did. Please scroll to the bottom for latest updates.

Let's start off with sales and sightings up until the end of December 2012 ....

This was (in its original setting) one of the oldest images of a 7A38-7140 that could be found on the 'Net.

It was posted in a thread - The GMT+9 Auction Watchlist #3 on Pete W's late-lamented GMT+9 website in September 2007.

Presumably it came from an eBay listing earlier that same month. The caption beneath it read as follows:

I like unusual Seiko 7Axx watches. Although it shows signs of wear, this one understandably was still bid up to $167.50.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This next early reference to a 7A38-7140 can still be found on the 'Net.

It was posted in a thread (about the 7A38-714A) on the old Network54 SCWF, on 28th February 2009 by Hung Pham ('Time2Fly'):

http://www.network54.com/Forum/78440/thread/1235842573/1235933565/Has+anyone+seen+this+model-+7A38-714A

Here's a similar one....

Model 7A38-7140. I don't have it, but it was for sale somewhere in 2006.

Possibly 'somewhere' was eBay - but as the images don't carry their water-mark I can't be 100%sure.

The style of photos, particularly the lighting and the white cartridge paper background, looks very much like José Sotto's work.

Checking the photo's properties, they were both taken on 03/12/2006 - so they actually pre-date the previous GMT+9 eBay image. 

However, I do have a pretty good idea where that particular 7A38-7140 ended up ....

In May 2010, I was corresponding with a prominent U.S. 7A38 collector. He emailed me the photo below.

The wear patterns of the black chrome coating on this example (particularly on the upper bracelet) are almost an exact match. 8)

He also owned (and still does, as far as I know) this rather more pristine example:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This NOS ('New without tags') example was listed on eBay Italy, a week or two before Christmas in December 2010:

SEIKO CHRONOGRAPH SPORTS 100. (It was eBay item # 300505276278 - long since disappeared).

SEIKO CRONO SPORTS 150, FONDO DI MAGAZZINO. 

40MM IL DIAMETRO DEL QUADRANTE, DOPPOIO DATARIO, SCALA TACHIMETRICA. 

MODELLO 7A38-7140.

If I remember correctly, it was listed with an opening bid of 9.99 Euros, and no reserve.

I was one of the first to view the auction listing, and after placing a bid, I messaged the eBay seller asking for a Buy-it-Now. 

It arrived on Christmas Eve (along with another 7A38 which I'd purchased from the same eBay seller). As I wrote at the time:

http://www.thewatchforum.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=61307&view=findpost&p=622794

My 'early christmas presents from me to me' have arrived. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Trying to find some of these old links again, now that the searchable SCWF 'Mirror' site appears to have 'Gone West' ain't been easy.

However, I continue to amaze myself sometimes. :D

By some minor miracle, I've managed to find this very old post on the old Network54 SCWF .... dating back to January 31st 2003 !!

http://www.network54.com/Forum/78440/message/1044038728/The+bracelet+is+nicer+than+I+thought+it+would+be%26gt%3B

The thread is actually about Seiko 5 quality, but here the poster 'Rob' mentions his 7A38-7140:

I had read on forums that the folded link bracelets were rubbish, but it was nowhere near as bad as people made out. The watch head is light so it is not a burden on the bracelet. I had no intention of keeping it on the bracelet, I was going to toss it on a black NATO anyway. My 7A38-7140 chrono that I've had for nearly 9 years also has a folded bracelet. However not being a WIS at the time I didn't know my arse from my elbow, and still would have bought it anyway for the dial.

To cut a long story short, my previous belated discovery of that post, in December 2010 prompted me to contact Rob, who was from New Zealand, but at the time working abroad, far from home and the watch. He'd bought it new (old stock) in July 1996 and still had it.

He promised that when he got back to NZ, he'd email me a couple of photos of his 7A38-7140, which indeed he did in March 2011 ....

This NOS 7A38-7140 (which later re-appears) was listed on eBay Italy in the first week of August 2011 (item # 290594068807)

SEIKO CHRONOGRAPH SPORTS 100 - 7A38 VINTAGE RARO! NOS!

Note the serial number 580088, also stated in the description below.

SPLENDIDO SEIKO CHRONOGRAPH SPORTS 100 NUOVO FONDO DI MAGAZZINO. FANTASTICO!

SPETTACOLARE QUADRANTE BICOLORE GIALLO E NERO CON LANCETTE CRONOGRAFICHE IN COLORE ROSSO. 

LA CASSA, HA UN DIAMETRO DI BEN 41 MM ESCLUSO PULSANTI E CORONA. IL FONDELLO, AVVITATO, RIPORTA OLTRE AL LOGO DELLA MAISON LA REFERNZA DELL'OROLOGIO 7A38-7140 E LA MATRICOLA 580088

IL MOVIMENTO AL QUARZO E' IL CAL. 7A38 PROVVISTO DI DATA E GIORNO. 

BRACCIALE IN ACCIAIO VERNICIATO PVD. VETRO ZAFFIRO.

COMPLETA QUESTO BELLISSIMO OROLOGIO IL SUO ASTUCCIO CON SCATOLA DI PROTEZIONE E LA GARANZIA ANCORA IN BIANCO. 

UN RARO OROLOGIO DAL DESIGN ACCATTIVANTE, FRUTTO DELLA FELICE COLLABORAZIONE TRA SEIKO E IL FAMOSO DESIGNER GIORGETTO GIUGIARO.

SONO A VOSTRA DISPOSIZIONE PER QUALSIASI ULTERIORE CHIARIMENTO O FOTO. NON ESITATE A CONTATTARMI. BUONA ASTA!

The eBay auction ended on 8th August 2011, with the watch theoretically selling for 253 Euros after 13 bids.

However, it seems that the seller did not honour the sale, and less than two weeks later, it re-appeared on eBay Italy classifieds ....

But now with an asking price of 380 Euros. That advert has long since disappeared: 

http://annunci.ebay.it/annunci/orologi/pesaro-urbino-annunci-saltara/seiko-chronograph-sports-100-7a38-vintage-nos/18467569

But the post on Orologi & Passioni (by the disgruntled winning bidder) still remains for all to see:

http://orologi.forumfree.it/?t=56761653&st=30#entry467542725

A proposito dell'asta e-bay che si è chiusa a € 253,00, adesso la stesso orologio è in vendita su e-bay annunci,

dalla stessa persona, che dice che l'ipotetico acquirente non lo avrebbe ritirato, e adesso chiede € 380,00 .

Mi sembra un poco chiaro ed anche disonesto .

A voi un parere.

This example with light rubbing wear to it's black chrome coating, with 7A38 manual, was listed on eBay Germany in December 2011:

Unfortunately, for the time being at least, my 'filing system' (and Google) seems to have let me down. :(

I can't find the eBay listing number, nor any record what it sold for. But that doesn't mean I've given up looking. ;)

September 13, 2012 at 7:24 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

I wrote a thread about the 7A38-7140 on the RLT watch forum back in December 2010, when I purchased my own NOS example:

http://www.thewatchforum.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=61307

That Other Rare Yellow-Faced Seiko 7A38 …. The lesser-spotted 7A38-7140 – my next incoming 7A38.

Unfortunately, the embedded links no longer work, since I re-organised my Photobucket  - so I make no apologies for reposting these.

Here's a more recent wrist shot, taken in April this year (already posted in this forum's WRUW thread):

September 13, 2012 at 7:26 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Specifications and Buyers Guide: 7A38-7140 SAA051J

Size: 40.0mm diameter (excluding crown and pushers) x 10.5mm deep.

Case and bracelet are common to the 7A38-714A. There is no separate bezel - it is an integral part of the watch case.

Case material: Stainless steel (nominally 'Base Metal') – matt black chrome coated finish all over (apart from case-back).

Dial: Part # is 7A38713LX999. Seiko's database shows no dial colour, although it is predominantly Black (with white printing).

A Yellow upper dial plate which surrounds only the bottom constant seconds sub-dial carries the lume pips and minute marks.

Dial markings: SEIKO (printed), QUARTZ Chronograph SPORTS 100. Bottom of dial ring: JAPAN 7A38 713L T Suwa symbol.

Day and Date wheels: White lettering on black background. Second languages seen include: French, German and Italian.

Hands: Main handset is White (with lume) and Black centres. Chronograph sweep and sub-dial hands are bright Orangey-Red.

The constant seconds sub-dial is bright yellow (same as used on the 7A38-704B) - a slightly lighter shade than the dial plate. 

Seiko crystal p/n: 310W62GN00 - 31.0mm Ø x 1.6mm thick - can use Sternkreuz p/n MSM310 or Cousins p/n F150CMH310.

Double Wave case-back, stamped: SEIKO, BASE METAL ST. STEEL BACK, WATER RESISTANT, 7A38-7140 [A0] JAPAN A

Seiko bracelet p/n: B1356F – Underside of first joining links are stamped B1356. Finish is matt black chrome all over.

Tapers from 21mm wide at the shoulder to 16mm. Fixing by Pin and Tube (Seiko p/n's 81603449 and 81180169).

Clasp is 'standard' in Black Chrome finish - 16mm x 35mm long, with 7 adjustment holes, stamped SEIKO SQ.

Production variances: None seen.

Production dates: Examples seen have had serial numbers beginning 55xxxx through 58xxxx. (May to August 1985).

Geography: Although nominally a world-wide export model, they seem mostly to turn up in Europe - particularly in Italy.

Additional Note: Italian eBay sellers (and owners) frequently falsely claim this model was designed by (Giorgetto) Giugiaro.

Buyers Tips: Black Chrome PVD coating is relatively soft and prone to rubbing wear. The matt surface polishes up easily.

Price Guide: $150 - $500 dependent upon condition.

Rarity Factor: 3/5 - Hard To Find.

September 13, 2012 at 7:29 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Sales and sightings in 2012 - the year of the crazy prices ! :o

In last week of January 2012, much to the amusement of this forum, an Italian eBay seller 'angeli_65' listed two 7A28's and two 7A38's.

At the time, that eBay ID had only been created a week earlier, on 16th January, and had zero feedback.

The original Buy-it-Now asking price of this NOS 7A38-7140 was a ridiculous $2350 !!!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/270900021867

VINTAGE SEIKO CHRONOGRAPH SPORT'S 100 CALIBER 7A38 - 7140 "BY GIUGIARO"

The seller's description read simply as:

VINTAGE SEIKO CHRONOGRAPH SPORT'S 100 BY GIORGETTO GIUGIARO. main summoned. Coming from my private collection.

One assumes 'main summoned' was just a bad translation meaning something else.

You'll notice that this seller claims the watch is a 'GIORGETTO GIUGIARO' (design). They're not alone in this, and you'll frequently see similar mis-informed claims made by Italian sellers for the 7A38-7140 (and other 7A38's). Although it bears a passing resemblence to some of the 7A28 models which were officially designed by Giugiaro, there is nothing in any Seiko literature to support these claims.

More likely, I would posit that it was a Seiko in-house design, but influenced by the Giugiaro-designed 7A28's.

Whereas most collectors would have been happy to sit on their hands until the seller re-listed it at a much lower more realistic price, one impatient individual, whose eBay ID I recognised, and IMHO falls into the 'more money than sense' category, made the seller an offer of $800 - which was accepted on 5th February. Hence, as I'd warned - a precedent and the seller's expectations had been set.

Slightly but not entirely unconnected, and clearly influenced by 'angeli_65's ridiculous $2350 asking price ....

On 31st January 2012, another enterprising Italian eBay seller listed a 7A38-7020 Franken fitted with a 7A38-7140 713L dial:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/290664836337 

Seiko chonograph vintage raro 7A38-7020 A5

Stupendo orologio Seiko 1980 di mia proprietà, con qualche segno di usura (piccoli graffi, non lo faccio lucidare poichè preferisco venderlo così com'è ) senza scatola ma di notevole interesse per collezionisti. Completamente originale tiene perfettamente il tempo.

It was originally listed with an opening bid price of 1.00 Euro - but also a ludicrous Buy-it-Now option 1200 Euros (Approx. £1003.56).

After some shenanigans with the bidding (as one might expect), sold on the 7th February for an incredible 321 Euros (approx. £266).

Advertised on eBay Italy Classifieds on September 7th 2012, with an asking price of 520 Euros:

http://annunci.ebay.it/annunci/orologi/padova-annunci-padova/seiko-orologio-raro/33522606

Seiko orologio raro

Splendido Seiko, chronograph sports 100 anni, anno 1970, nuovo fondo di magazzino, bellissimo e raro.

Spettacolare quadrante bicolore giallo e nero con lancette cronografiche in colore rosso: la Cassa ha un diametro di ben 41 mm escluso pulsanti e corona. Il fondello, avvitato, riporta oltre al logo della Seiko, la referenza dell'orologio 7A38-7140 e la matricola 580088.

Il movimento al quarzo è il cal. 7a38, provvisto di data e giorno. Bracciale in acciaio verniciato PVD. Vetro zaffiro.

Completo questo orologio astuccio con scatola di protezione e la garanzia ancora in bianco.

Raro orologio dal design accattivante da intenditori, frutto della collaborazione tra Seiko e il famoso Giorgetto Giugiaro.

Pezzo unico e molto raro. Vi prego di informarVi su questo orologio. A vostra disposizione

Note the familiar black leatherette padded Seiko box - and the serial number 580088.

Subsequently purchased by the notorious opportunist profiteering Italian eBay seller 'Goffre78', who listed it on eBay a week later ....

using more or less exactly the same set of photos, but typically, with one of his less-than-perfect (English) multi-lingual descriptions:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/190725774757

VINTAGE SEIKO WATCH 7A38-7140 GIUGIARO MEGA RARE NOS NEW OROLOGIO

original SEIKO VINTAGE 7A38-7140 giugiaro

NOS!!!!!!! BOX,ORIGINAL perfect working

VERY VERY RARE

IMPOSIBOL FIND!

GOOD LUKE

Goffre's Buy-it-Now asking price is $1100 US - that's equivalent to approx. £684.80 or 853.50 Euros .... but please remember

This is the very same NOS 7A38-7140, serial number 580088 which was legitimately bid to 'only' 253 Euros on 8th August 2011. 

September 13, 2012 at 7:31 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/190725774757

Goffre's Buy-it-Now asking price is $1100 US - that's equivalent to approx. £684.80 or 853.50 Euros ....

Over the next couple of days, the seller received 4 offers, including incredibly, one of $1000, all of which were declined (or expired):

http://offer.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBidsLogin&_trksid=p4340.l2564&rt=nc&item=190725774757

Then, strangely without ending that Buy-it-Now listing, he started another almost identical auction format listing on 20th September:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/190729027600 with an opening bid price of $710, which might possibly have been a little more realistic.

However, by the next morning both listings read: This listing was ended by the seller because the item is no longer available.

September 21, 2012 at 5:53 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

This example with light rubbing wear to it's black chrome coating, with 7A38 manual, was listed on eBay Germany in December 2011:

Unfortunately, for the time being at least, my 'filing system' (and Google) seems to have let me down. :(

I can't find the eBay listing number, nor any record what it sold for. But that doesn't mean I've given up looking. ;)

All of which became academic earlier in December, this year, when what was evidently the exact same 7A38-7140, with the same deep scratch diagonally across the crystal, was listed again on eBay Germany, by presumably whoever had bought it 12 months previously:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181034093618

Vintage Seiko Quartz Chronograph 7A38-7140 von 1985, Sports 100

Verkaufe eine ältere Funktionstüchtigen Seiko Chronographen.

Die Uhr hat Gebrauchsspuren, siehe Fotos. 2 einzelne Armbandglieder sind noch dabei.

Fragen Beantworte ich nach besten Wissen und Gewissen. 

Schaut euch auch meine anderen Auktionen an. 

Keine Garantie, Gewährleistung, Umtausch oder Rücknahme, da Privatverkauf!

The levels of wear to the vulnerable black chrome coating were more readily visible in this seller's multiple listing photos.

This time around it sold (yesterday) for 132.13 Euros (approx. £106.63) after 25 bids:

December 10, 2012 at 2:00 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

It would seem that the trend for ridiculously over-optimistic asking prices for mint condition examples of these admittedly attractive 7A38's, started by the Italian eBay sellers last year, is set to continue. Who knows, we may yet even see a re-emergence of serial number 580088. Checking the abbreviated eBay ID's of who made offers against Goffre78's listing for it, back in September 2012:

http://offer.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBidsLogin&_trksid=p4340.l2564&rt=nc&item=190725774757

.... one of them, 2***i would appear to belong to the Cardiff, UK-based would-be profiteering eBay re-seller 'Kineticsinc2012'.

Though I don't believe this lightly used 7A38-7140 which he listed on eBay a couple of days ago is actually that same watch:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321090329501

SEIKO 7A38-7140 SAA051J Sports 100

Near Mint condition 

The watch has only seen gentle wear!! Huge photo's at the bottom of this brief description, please study the photo's which are of the actual watch. The watch is in superb condition and keeping excellent time... like you would expect from these extremely accurate timepieces! There is no significant wear to the PVD coating whatsoever! SEIKO box included but not the original one to the watch!

CASE: No dings or dents under close magnification. 

CROWN: No play, perfect working order. 

PUSHERS: All working as they should. 

CRYSTAL: Mint condition. 

DIAL: Absolutely mint under high magnification. 

HANDS: They all zero perfectly. 

MOVEMENT: 7A38 Quartz movement, super clean and functioning 100%. 

STRAP: The PVD coating is in superb condition with no stretch to the bracelet whatsoever! Original 21cm fitment! 

Payment: PayPal, Cheque and Direct Bank transfer! UK Bank transfer is free and it’s safe!! The best price can be found here! Finally contact me for payment options or indeed any question regarding this transaction: [email protected] or phone/text me for an immediate deal mobile: 07818 663891 (Paul)

The photos form the larger part of the cosmetic condition so please study them closely.

Unfortunately, most of the photos this would-be eBay seller embedded in his initial description were rather dark (as we discussed). 

Earlier today the seller has made a number of revisions to his ebay listing:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemRevisionDetails&_trksid=p2047675.l2569&rt=nc&item=321090329501

One of them included lowering his ridiculously optimistic Buy-it-Now asking price from £699 to a mere £698 !! 

March 17, 2013 at 9:13 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

However, at the time of writing, the would-be eBay seller still hasn't uploaded any better lit photos of his own watch, which might give any potential buyer a better idea of the true (bright) colour of the dial surround, nor the actual condition of the black chrome coating.

So in the meantime, here's another wrist shot of my own almost mint NOS condition 7A38-7140, that I took a couple of weekends ago:

Whereas it would be unfair to draw comparisons, given his poorly lit photos, I would hazard a guess mine is in slightly better condition.

To put his current asking price into perspective - the price I paid for this watch 2 years ago was FIVE HUNDRED POUNDS cheaper. ;)

Edit: As Kineticsinc2012 has decided to play around with the prices in his eBay listing, I'll make that clearer. I paid 200 Euros for mine.

March 17, 2013 at 10:25 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

So what’s an almost mint condition 7A38-7140 actually worth in ‘real money’ terms in today’s buoyant market ? That’s as opposed to the ridiculous ‘pie-in-the-sky’ high prices asked by profiteering eBay re-sellers like Goffre78 and Kineticsinc2012. As an experiment, I set up a fairly standard no reserve eBay auction listing using ‘stock library images’ of my own 7A38-7140 (which are already included in this thread). It was deliberately set up as a 10-day listing scheduled to end on April 1sthttp://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/230951034503

The auction was ended early at midday today, well before the last 12 hour cancellation window closed.

While the auction was live, the highest bid was £280. The highest bid placed and subsequently retracted after over a week was £333.

That flaky bidder was none other than ‘Mad Martina’ martinachertok of manic re-listing notoriety – another US-based would-be profiteering eBay re-seller who has recently attempted to move in on the lucrative 7A38 collector market – a point not lost on me.

So what could the watch have made, had the listing been allowed to run the full 10 days ? Would the auction possibly have ended in a last 10 second snipe-fest that might have pushed the price up another £50 - let alone £300+ more, to match the kind of stupid price currently being asked by Kineticsinc2012 for his example ? Somehow I doubt it. 

March 31, 2013 at 8:01 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

It appears that at lunchtime today, eBay seller Kineticsinc2012 found a mug punter buyer for his speculatively over-priced 7A38-7140:

The listing was about to come to the end of its second auto-renewing 30-day period, having received some 1027 views in 60 days.

It sold against a best offer. The seller had previously received only 4 offers in the first week (2 were low-balls I personally instigated).

Unfortunately, due to the furtive selling methods he employs in the name of privacy, it's unlikely we'll ever know how much it went for.

Edit: Except I don't give up so easily. 8)

Apparently it finally sold for a best offer of £580, nearly two months after he'd declined two allegedly pukka offers of £550 and £500.

It was apparently purchased by a prominent US Seiko collector who posts on SCWF as 'Daveswordfish' and uses the same ID on eBay.

Here it can be seen, top row, third from the right, in this rather poorly lit photo of his collection box 'Daveswordfish' posted on SCWF.

May 13, 2013 at 11:17 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Earlier today Italian eBay seller Goffre78 listed another NOS with tags 7A38-7140 on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/itm/190866079484

As we've come to expect from this less-than-competent Italian eBay seller, the majority of his photos were grainy or out of focus:

And his attempted multi-lingual multi-coloured description was riddled with the usual poor grammar and basic spelling mistakes like:

IMPOSSIBOL FIND and GOOD LUKE ! 

But what we've come to expect, without exception, from our friend Goffre are his ridiculously over-optimistic Buy-it-Now asking prices.

This admittedly very nice example of a 7A38-7140 could be yours for a mere $1800 - that's equivalent to approximately £1195. 

July 5, 2013 at 5:49 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Remiss of me not to have updated this topic. 

It didn't sell first time around, so naturally Goffre re-listed his NOS 7A38-7140, at the same ridiculous $1800 sky-high asking price:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/190880678678

It sold against a best offer on August 10th:

Amazingly that offer turned out to be a whopping $1450 !! 

September 7, 2013 at 8:15 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Intrigued as to who might have been prepared to pay such a hefty sum for a 7A38-7140 (NOS or not), I did a bit of feedback checking.

Quickly found out it was a US eBay ID: thelasttortoise - the same buyer of i-n-x-s franken two-tone 7A28-7020 a couple of weeks later.

Presumably a big bloke named George. :lol:

September 7, 2013 at 10:31 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

A man of very few words - indeed a zero-feedback newbie, listed this new unworn 7A38-7140 on eBay 'Down Under' earlier today:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281164501881 (ended after two days and re-listed):

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281166300054

The description stated simply: Mint condition, never worn

September 8, 2013 at 12:32 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

With 3 days to go (on the re-listing) the seller reduced the opening bid price to $400 (Au):

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemRevisionDetails&item=281166300054

That had the desired effect - in that it encouraged some bidding. By this morning, the bid had crept back up to $486.

That's where bidding was with a minute to go. I'd expected it to end in a snipe-fest, but surprisingly it didn't.

The auction ended a few moments ago, with just one more bid placed. It sold for $495 (Au) - approx. £291.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281166300054

September 18, 2013 at 5:16 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Interesting to note the prices these 7A38-7140's actually make in proper eBay auction listings ....

As opposed to the prices they sell for eventually when offered for sky-high figures by profiteering re-sellers.

Compare the last two examples - $495 (Au) by bidding versus $1450 US (Best Offer against a Buy-it-Now of $1800). 

Here's more food for thought. 

A young man named David, a member of the Italian Orologi & Passioni forum, with whom I've been corresponding recently ....

has just been fortunate enough to pick up a NOS, boxed with tags 7A38-7140 SAA051J for a mere 100 Euros 

See: http://orologi.forumfree.it/?t=67040657  Read it and weep ! 

September 18, 2013 at 2:11 PM Flag Quote & Reply

ginny

My first purchase I have been able to pick up and meet the seller personally, (timekeeperau - as above). Was really happy with my NOS 7A38-7140, but to my surprise he produced another one. With a generous price adjustment for the small scratch on the crystal and the short bracelet, I couldn't help but walk away with both.

September 21, 2013 at 2:49 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Remembering the prices that Stuart paid for his NOS and almost mint examples of the 7A38-7140, only a matter of a few weeks ago -

and bearing in mind the prices we've seen examples with worn black chrome plating sell for within the last 12 months ....

This would-be Italian eBay seller, with a feedback of only (1) is living in cloud cuckoo land. 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161139226179

funziona perfettamente,acquistato da me nel 1982 non ho la confezione,tutto originale seiko,vetro con piccoli graffi come anche il cinturino.

October 31, 2013 at 5:32 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

I must say it makes a refreshing change to see a NOS Seiko 7A38 listed on eBay in Italy without a ridiculous speculative asking price.

This NOS with tags 7A38-7140 SAA051J came up in my eBay saved favourite search notifications this morning:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/itm/271379203298

RARISSIMO OROLOGIO SEIKO NUOVO MAI INDOSSATO FONDO DI MAGAZZINO,ANCORA CON IL SUO CARTELLINO REF.SAA051J FUNZIONA PERFETTAMENTE,CASSA,VETRO E CINTURINO PERFETTI,SEGNALO DUE LIEVI GRAFFIETTI SUL FONDELLO IN ACCIAIO FATTI PER IL CAMBIO PILA.LA SCATOLA E' SEIKO ED E' NUOVA MA NON GARANTISCO CHE SIA QUELLA ORIGINALE D'EPOCA.IL DIAMETRO E' DI CIRCA 41 MM SENZA CORONA E TASTI.CINTURINO ADATTO ANCHE PER POLSI XL.SE NON BASTASSERO LE FOTO A DIMOSTRARE LA BELLEZZA ED IL FASCINO DI QUESTO OROLOGIO,CONTATTATEMI PER QUALSIASI COSA ANCHE TELEFONICAMENTE 3316242122.

From the number we've seen since I started this topic, perhaps not quite so 'RARISSIMO' as the seller would have you believe, but his opening bid price of 300 Euros is not unreasonable. Hopefully the auction will be won by a collector, rather than it falling into the hands of a profiteering re-seller (I'm thinking Goffre78) to be re-listed for months on end at some ridiculous pie-in-the-sky Buy-it-Now price.

January 22, 2014 at 11:28 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

To my added surprise, with 10 seconds to go, nobody had bid on that NOS 7A38-7140. I was hoping it might go to a forum member. :/

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm//271379203298

A single snipe bid came in the final 5 seconds:

http://offer.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&item=271379203298

As it happens, it did fall victim to a member of this forum .... Stuart (ginny) who has two mint NOS examples already (his photo below):

Quote: 'I couldn't help but walk away with both'. Make that three now then.

January 28, 2014 at 6:37 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.