Seiko 7A38 - by the numbers

Subtitle

Forums

Forum Home > 7Axx General Discussion Area > Sticky: Everything you always wanted to know about Seiko 7Axx's (but were afraid to ask)

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

That's as opposed to: Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Sex* (*But Were Afraid to Ask) Woody Allen, 1972. :P

I thought this topic title might come in handy some time.  Newbies please feel free to ask away, and we'll do our best to answer. 

January 8, 2013 at 9:56 AM Flag Quote & Reply

garacs1

Thanks, I will certainly put all my "newb" questions here!

January 11, 2013 at 8:55 AM Flag Quote & Reply

garacs1

As many of you may have noticed, I am definitively a newb when it comes to recognizing an original Seiko 7Axx (let alone a watch).

I guess ongoing experience will help in finding out the small differences that sometimes make a fake or franken watch being spotted.

My question is: is there an online database, with pictures, of the original 7Axx as they were meant to exit the factory, with all their variants?

If now, how hard (that means, how many variants could there possibly be) would it be to make one, with hi-definition pictures and description of main characteristics that could help differentiate an 100% original 7Axx againts a Franken or a cheap fake?

Does anyone of you have somthing of a kind? Or do you look everytime online when you find a watch you are interested in, trying to find the best image possible?

Does SEIKO even have something similar posted online, like an "official catalog" that normal human beings (and no  watchmakers or resellers) could get their hands on?

January 12, 2013 at 10:33 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

There is, of sorts George - Seiko Oceania (Australia) fortunately allow limited public access to their database search.

http://service.seiko.com.au/pls/seiko/f?p=104:20:5216837880173301:Go:NO:RP::

Sadly, all the thumbnail images against the 7Axx's have long since disappeared - as indeed has some of the model data. :(

However, if you search on 7Txx's (and many other calibres), you'll find the thumbnail images in the penultimate right hand column.

That's the idea behind this website - to ultimately be able to offer a 'look up' reference on every single Seiko 7A38 model, at least.

http://www.seiko7a38.com/apps/forums/show/6635367-7a38-xxxx-model-specific-area

January 12, 2013 at 10:51 AM Flag Quote & Reply

garacs1

Yes I had already a look on that thread, which is, btw, very informative. I was wondering if there was something more "official" with "official" images.

Would it be hard to put on this forum a reference thread (a unique one) that follows the oceania scheme? We would just need to "copy/paste" the table from Oceania and put the best images we can find...

January 12, 2013 at 10:58 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

In a word, Yes. You can't realistically use the raw Seiko Oceania data, without (more than) a little intelligent interpretation.

If you search on Calibre '7A38' alone, it will return 310 lines of data. That actually equates to about 85 invidual 7A38 variations.

I copied the 7A38 data over onto an Excel spreadsheet myself years ago, but my little database doesn't have any embedded images. 

That's the idea of the 'Photos' tab on the website. Ultimately, I hope to be able to include photos of the best example of each in there.

January 12, 2013 at 11:08 AM Flag Quote & Reply

garacs1

I am giving it a try, exactly like you did, but embedding the images, and eventually creating, for future reference, a small HTML page hosting also the relative images. I would then link every single image to the relative thread here on the forum.

I would not put in the excel file all the part numbers and relative description. This should be done in the forum threads, I believe.

This could help both newbies like me and experts like you, I believe.

This part is for me relatively easy to do. The hard part for me is to match the correct image to the correct model number. 

January 12, 2013 at 11:18 AM Flag Quote & Reply

garacs1

This is a rudimentary test:

http://clarkson.it/seiko/seiko_catalog.html

It would take some time to complete it, but it is not hard at all...

January 12, 2013 at 11:58 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

As many of you may have noticed, I am definitively a newb when it comes to recognizing an original Seiko 7Axx (let alone a watch).

The hard part for me is to match the correct image to the correct model number.

Patience is definitely not one of your virtues, is it George ? :| I'm sorry I can't supply all the instant answers you expect of me. :/

I wish you luck. Perhaps you'll do better than the other two who set out with the same idea: http://www.seiko7a38.com/database.htm 

January 12, 2013 at 12:05 PM Flag Quote & Reply

garacs1

ahaha no actually I am really impatient... when it comes to things I like... I am not at all expecting immediate answers, Paul. And I donot want to stress anybody. But I want to learn.

Have you checked the link, btw? very "spartan" looking, but I am just copy/pasting the infor from Ocean, adding images and links from and to this forum.

January 12, 2013 at 12:12 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

A good selection of typical 'newbie' questions asked (and replied to) in this thread on RLT this morning:

http://www.thewatchforum.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=80101 Seiko Chrono Sport Function query

Pity the OP initially chose the wrong forum. :/

January 15, 2013 at 8:07 AM Flag Quote & Reply

T5AUS

Seiko7A38 at January 15, 2013 at 8:07 AM

A good selection of typical 'newbie' questions asked (and replied to) in this thread on RLT this morning:

http://www.thewatchforum.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=80101 Seiko Chrono Sport Function query

OOOOPS, yep, that was me, but now I am here Paul.

I managed to free up the bezel finally with a little light penetrating oil. I also downloaded the instruction manual so looking good.

Another question please, how easy is it to pop the bezel on these, I have done them on various divers watches, but this one seems a lot tougher job. From what I understand, the glass for these are no longer available from Seiko so I thought I might see if I can get a glazier mate to grind out the gouges in this one, being careful not to over heat it of course.

Cant seem to get the photo link to work, obviously doing something wrong, will go a read the instuctions :/ 

January 15, 2013 at 4:34 PM Flag Quote & Reply

T5AUS

Seiko7A38 at January 15, 2013 at 8:07 AM

OK, read your photo posting instruction, I know, should have done that first ;) too late though to edit my original post, so here she is...

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f275/T5AUS/SeikoSport1004_zpsa5152c35.jpg

January 15, 2013 at 4:45 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Still not quite right, Phil ! :lol: I fixed the photo in your first post, for you, so I won't bother fixing the same image in your second post. :P

http://www.seiko7a38.com/apps/forums/topics/show/7208345-how-to-upload-a-photo-to-this-forum-

Suggest you go read it again. ;)

January 15, 2013 at 5:02 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Pulling the bezel on a 7A38-6020 is a b*st*rd of a job !! :o

Especially when you consider that all that holds it on, is an O-ring running in a groove machined in the bezel and case flange.

Other 7Axx divers like the more common 7A28-7040/9; 7A38-7070/80 and the slightly rarer 7A38-7050/-705A (the latter of which also have an acrylic moulded bezel insert) use the same method of attachment, but come off quite easily. Perhaps it's due to the positioning of that fingernail slot between 15 and 20 (but in one of the finger-grip recesses - I guess you've found it by now), but you can't get enough purchase with a case knife or a Citizen type case-back tool to lever it off. I gave up in the end (rather than risk damaging case or bezel) admitted defeat and took it to a friendly watchmaker who has one of those pukka Rolex style Bergeon bezel removal tools.

January 15, 2013 at 5:12 PM Flag Quote & Reply

T5AUS

Seiko7A38 at January 15, 2013 at 5:02 PM

Still not quite right, Phil ! :lol: I fixed the photo in your first post, for you, so I won't bother fixing the same image in your second post. :P

http://www.seiko7a38.com/apps/forums/topics/show/7208345-how-to-upload-a-photo-to-this-forum-

Suggest you go read it again. ;)

Thanks again Paul, should have it sorted by my next post :roll:

January 16, 2013 at 10:17 AM Flag Quote & Reply

T5AUS

I managed to pop the bezel off the other day using a thin Stanley knife blade to get a small enough gap which I was then able to get a penknife blade into and just gently levered around the the whole bezel to finally lift it clear. There was a lot of solidified gunk under there so I used an old tooth brush and some warm soapy water to free it up and it worked a treat. Pushing it back on was harder and to help I lightly oiled the rubber o ring on the inside of the bezel. I then pushed it down with my thumbs but could not get enough pressure to complete it so I just placed a strip of flat wood over the last bit and lightly tapped with a hammer and it popped back on easily.

Also, using your easy to follow dating code reference Paul I determined that it was made in October 1984 :D

I now await Seiko Australia's favourable reply re the new glass, fingers crossed ! 

Cheers Phil

January 20, 2013 at 4:27 PM Flag Quote & Reply

T5AUS

Crystal is on it's way, in fact I am getting two, the other one is for this interesting 7T59 which I picked up more recently on a junk stall in a local market.

January 21, 2013 at 1:36 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Phil. Ref. our earlier discussions about fading of red (and orange) pigments used on Seiko dials and hands ....

That 1/100 SEC. on the 7T59-6A00's dial (and the 1/100s hand itself) would originally have been red.

That's a more usual level of degradation, to pale yellow - presumably through exposure to sunlight. 8)

The X 0.01 at the top of the uppermost (fractions of a second) subdial would also once have been red.

January 21, 2013 at 3:55 AM Flag Quote & Reply

T5AUS

Fair enough Paul, thanks for sorting the photo out.

Phil

January 21, 2013 at 5:42 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.