Seiko 7A38 - by the numbers

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > State of the Website Address 2013 - First Year of the Forum

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

So here we are, one year since the forum (a slightly later after-thought) was opened. :D

The domain name Seiko7A38.com was actually first registered on 26th January 2012.

I like round numbers - and I'll admit that I had some marginally higher target numbers in mind.

But here's where we are as of today, 28th January 2013: 143 members | 249 topics | 2964 posts. Not bad. ;)

Here's how the visitor traffic looked after our first month of operation:

Here's how it looks today - a three-fold increase from an average of 50 to 150 visitors per day, with occasional peaks of over 200:

January 27, 2013 at 7:26 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

We finally made it to 3000 posts on the forum - 3 days later. :D

January 31, 2013 at 9:23 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Jota

Happy New Year, Paul. Congrats, man. "Not bad", most especially as I remember you had(?) some "keep it small" direction to it, at least when you started it.

January 31, 2013 at 11:21 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Hi, Julio.

Thanks for your positive comment. ;)

I think I can safely say we are still 'keeping it small'. We now have a membership of only 150 or so, which compared to the 15,000 plus of the 'new' SCWF (a relative newcomer, in terms of large global watch forums) is absolutely tiny. But I'm still quite content with that. :)

I don't intend to keep publishing monthly statistics, but to demonstrate that January 2013 wasn't a fluke, I decided to monitor February.

Unfortunately, our Webs host had a couple of bad days mid-month, including a complete outage lasting through the night of the 18th:

.... Resulting in two lows of only 74 and 99. The maximum peak of 237 was attributable to an incoming link from the UK RLT forum.

March 1, 2013 at 3:37 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Yes, I know what I wrote in the previous post: "I don't intend to keep publishing monthly statistics", but I did capture March too. :P

A much steadier month than February, again averaging well over 150 visitors per day, with a high of 210 and low of 141 over 28 days:

This month is looking pretty good so far, too, with an opening high of 222 on April 1st. :)

April 16, 2013 at 7:16 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

These graphs come from the add-on Clicky statistics package I use to monitor the site traffic / check on incoming google searches.

But this isn't the only statistics package available. 

We've been #1 in the Google search rankings on 'Seiko 7A38' (and almost every model variant thereof, and then some) since the first month the site opened - and that's without my ever having officially submitted the site to Google's search engines. They just found us.

But in the greater scheme of things, particularly compared to other 'general interest' watch forums, we're still very much 'small fry'. :/

Last year I very briefly looked at our Alexa rankings and was disappointed. :( Things appear to have improved somewhat since. :)

Subtitled: Lies, damned lies, and statistics

Earlier today, I checked our site on one of the better known statistics gatherers: http://www.statscrop.com/www/seiko7a38.com

Daily visitor / page views numbers look reassuring (according to them) ....

But how the heck do they figure the site is worth $12.5K and that the 'Primary Country' (presumably bulk of traffic) is from Germany ?

April 16, 2013 at 7:17 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

So here we are 28th January 2014 - it's now two years since the forum was first opened.

Traffic levels remain about the same; this month's average so far is 175 visitors per day.

Today's numbers at the bottom of the forum page read: 314 members | 439 topics | 6359 posts - more than double 12 months ago.

Many thanks to all who have contributed so far. 

January 28, 2014 at 5:29 PM Flag Quote & Reply

gufi

Thank you, Paul, for building up this site. ;)

January 29, 2014 at 6:44 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Jota at January 31, 2013 at 11:21 AM

Happy New Year, Paul. Congrats, man. "Not bad", most especially as I remember you had(?) some "keep it small" direction to it, at least when you started it.

I think it's about time I reverted to my original 'keep it small' (and tidy) philosophy. 

Our 'membership' has recently peaked at over 300 - it's currently theoretically 317*, but over a third of that number are what I'd class as inactive. Later today I'm going to send out an email blast to all members - advising my intention to start deleting passive members.

I would stress that his is not an effort to drum up (failing) interest. New registrations are at a similar level they were 12 months ago ....
and daily visitor traffic is still steadily increasing. February is currently running at an average of over 200 per day (peaked at 236).

This is merely a housekeeping exercise. But if you are already a registered member and have never posted anything, or haven't signed in in 12 months (and there are a good number who fall into that category), ignore the email at your peril. The cull has begun. 

* It would have been 320 had I not deleted 3 non-contributing 'members' (as a test) earlier this week. 

February 6, 2014 at 8:58 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

See updates to the above in the thread in the Members Lounge section.

March 1, 2014 at 4:44 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.