Seiko 7A38 - by the numbers

Forums

Forum Home > eBay, LeBonCoin, Mercado Libre, Yahoo Japan, etc. > The butchered 7Axx case-back thread - * WARNING * Graphic Images

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

We've all seen them on eBay; sometimes even bought them ourselves, hoping to be able to polish out the worst of the graunch marks.

It's one of my pet peeves, the way some ham-fisted amateurs and even 'professional' high street jewellers manage to ruin case-backs.

I saw this one - the gouged-up case-back of an only average condition gold-tone 7A38-7260 listed by an Italian eBay seller, last night.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151010724530

But it wasn't just the numerous horrid graunch marks made by slipped tools that caught my eye:

March 12, 2013 at 6:04 AM Flag Quote & Reply

garacs1

a rather strange case of self-serial number mutation... 

--

My personal Blog: www.onlyvintagewatches.com/blog

March 15, 2013 at 8:55 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Indeed, George .... or thanks now to the efforts of some ham-fisted amateur - mut il ation. :roll:

March 15, 2013 at 9:35 AM Flag Quote & Reply

garacs1

I do notice that serial was "repunched".... a 4 turned into 3, or viceversa... Why would someone do that?

--

My personal Blog: www.onlyvintagewatches.com/blog

March 15, 2013 at 1:41 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

A bit of a sorry footnote to that one. Even at the Italian seller's relatively low opening bid price of only 39 Euros, the watch went unsold:

April 14, 2013 at 5:06 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Or did it ? ;)

Subtitled: Yet another would-be profiteering eBay re-seller FAIL

Because this worn-looking gold tone 7A38-7260 was listed on eBay this evening by a wishful-thinking would-be Welsh seller. 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/330907813863

In typical 'valley's fashion, the listing description is full of the usual flowery bullsh!t; inaccuracies, half-truths and down-right falsehood including: I am a longtime watch enthusiast trying to scale down my collection ....

Hang on a minute Taffy - you only bought this watch a couple of weeks ago ! Scaling down ??

When the seller first uploaded the listing the (9) * Please scroll down for multiple high-resolution photos * were missing.

But as soon as he added them, after a prompt, I knew EXACTLY which well-worn graunched gold-tone 7A38-7260 I was looking at. 8)

Yup it's 7A38-7260 serial number 9509x3 once again ! 

Incidentally, some of those nasty case-back graunches extend onto the side of the watch case. 

One to be avoided, at all costs - especially at that ridiculously inflated opening bid price. 

PS - just noticed the seller's use of the word exorbitant in his Accepted Payment Methods. Case of pot calling kettle black, methinks. 

April 14, 2013 at 5:11 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

I wonder which particular 'error' that was ? 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/330907813863

April 14, 2013 at 6:28 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Hmm. It's back - re-listed, but this time starting with a low opening bid price of only £0.99http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/330908321517

Without going through the description line by line, word for word, the most significant changes appear to be in the 'Condition' section.

The previous listing merely stated:

The watch comes on a brand-new aftermarket brown Croco-grain genuine leather strap.

The watch is 100% functional

The unit Serial Number dates the production of this watch to May 1989.

compared to this:

CONDITION 

- The watch casing & crystal shows signs of use and age, with numerous scratches - no chips.

- There is minor rubbing to the gold-plating evident on close inspection.

- The fifth digit of the Serial Number appears to have been damaged/restamped (?).

- The watch comes on a brand-new aftermarket brown Croco-grain genuine leather strap.

- The watch is in 100% working order including all chronograph functions

- In preparation for sale I have thoroughly cleaned the exterior casing with mild washing up liquid & warm water (NOT submerged) + polished with a Cape Cod cloth.

It'll be interesting to see what it makes if the seller allows the listing to run the full 10 days. Somewhat less than £147.99 I'll wager. 

Hopefully he'll get back what he paid the previous Italian seller for it - and not a penny more.

Perhaps it's partly my own fault for having promoted their virtues as a collectable watch, but there's already more than enough would-be profiteering re-sellers dabbling in 7Axx's on eBay - without another Welshman trying to jump on the bandwagon, Diolch yn fawr ! 

April 15, 2013 at 4:42 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

It'll be interesting to see what it makes if the seller allows the listing to run the full 10 days. Somewhat less than £147.99 I'll wager. 

I didn't want to predict the outcome, because that's never a safe thing to do when certain eBay sellers employ the cloak of the

private listing - bidders' identities protected auction .... but, given the condition, I had a figure of around 50 quid in mind. 8)

April 25, 2013 at 5:24 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Over the last 6 months, I've seen quite a few badly butchered case-backs described as 'scratched', that I simply have't had the time, or couldn't be bothered to comment on. This listing for a 7A38-702H, by a UK eBay seller at the weekend, caught my eye for the wrong reasons. It's a pity the photos in his listing aren't clearer (the other two aren't worth posting).

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121212331180

Very Rare Seiko 7A38-702H Sport Cronograph

From the head-on view, this appears to be a nice example with minimal wear to the bezel's gold plating.

But his description includes the sentence (copied verbatim):

The case back has ta couple of marks due to a nasty watch maker not taking cares when replacing the battery.

But just how bad is it ?

November 13, 2013 at 5:13 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Well perhaps not a Seiko 7A38 per se, but a closely related Cartier Ferrari Formula Cal. 531 with a needlessly butchered case-back.

This one listed, by a French eBay seller came up in my saved favourite search notifications this morning.

It's one of the commonest two-tone dark grey dialed versions. I'm the current high bidder @ 2.00 Euros ! :D

Pity about the state of the case-back though. :(

Investing $20 in one of these superb case-back removal tools would almost certainly have prevented all that unnecessary damage. :roll:

April 5, 2014 at 7:27 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

I hate to admit it, but I've allowed myself to fall victim to a dishonest eBay seller, in my pursuit of a 'better' example of a 7A38. :mad:

And a case-back butchering one at that ! 

I already had a couple of fairly decent examples of the two-tone grey-dialed 7A38-7020 (they're pretty common on eBay Germany) - one of them (which I've posted in the WRUW thread a couple of times) is almost mint. I should have been satisfied with that. But No. :roll:

Two weeks ago I spotted what looked a potentially slightly better example listed on eBay Germany:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201167668460

Optisch und technisch supertoller Seiko Quarzchronograph

Aus Uhrensammlung im Originalzustand

Gehäuse: Edelstahl, 12-eckiger vergoldeter Glasring, verschraubter Boden,

Mineralglas gehärtet, water resist, Stahlband bicolor integriert

Durchmesser ohne Krone und Gehäusefüße: ca. 38,4mm

- ungetragen mit kleinsten Spuren -

Uhrwerk: Quarzwerk Japan, Chronographenstopfunktion auf 1/10 sec,

30-min. Zähler, Day-Date, funktioniert tadellos, Batterie ganz neu

Verkauf gegen Vorkasse - Versand im versicherten Postpaket zu 7 EUR in D

bzw. 13,70 EUR in Europa. Versand nach Übersee auf Anfrage.

Bitte sehen Sie auch meine anderen Angebote !

Bitte stellen Sie Ihre Fragen vor Auktionsende. Begutachtung der Uhr oder

Abholung ist nach Terminvereinbarung möglich.

Viel Spaß bei der Auktion !

The relevant parts of the seller's German "Seller Notes" and description translate as follows:

"minimal scratches / storage marks"

in its original condition - Unworn with the smallest traces -

This is the seller's photo of the case-back:

Here are a few rather more revealing close-up shots that I took after I'd received it:

Having agreed a somewhat reduced offer price, when the seller sent me the PayPal invoice, he tried jacking up the stated postage (13.70 Euros) to partially make up his loss. I should have smelled a rat there and then. Instead, I asked him for a revised invoice. :roll:

The watch duly arrived 4 days later and initially I was quite pleased. Topside, it was in better condition than my previous best example.

However from the plentiful evidence of the previous owner's DNA, it was clearly anything but 'unworn'.

What really pissed me off was when I flipped it over, to find that the case-back had not only been butchered (presumably with one of those 2-prong adjustable tools), but someone had skimmed the perimeter of it in a lathe, in an attempt to hide the slipped tool marks.

Unfortunately there wasn't much they could do about the gouge marks that extended onto the watch case. :mad:

The eBay seller just sent me a message asking why I'd left him a negative feedback. I wonder why ? 

September 28, 2014 at 7:38 AM Flag Quote & Reply

donwatch

Paul, I would have sent it back-- But in this case he got a nice slap :mad: for hiding an important fact 8)

September 28, 2014 at 2:22 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Maybe I should have done, Don. :/

Right now I have the satisfaction of having left him a fairly scathing negative feedback, which is obviously bugging him considerably.

He's already offered me an (unsolicited) partial refund of 50 Euros (presumably in the hope that I'll retract / modify the feedback).

But as I told him in my last reply - that's not going to repair this ruined watch case. :(

September 28, 2014 at 2:45 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Here's another prime example of a badly butchered case-back on a 7A38. :(

This used, but otherwise almost pristine Titanium 7A38-7130 was listed this morning by a rather more honest German eBay seller:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151445979103

The last couple of lines of the description:

Schöner und gepflegter Zustand! Rückendeckel hat leider Kratzer am Rand außen. Details siehe Bilder.

translate as: Beautiful and well-kept! Unfortunately, back cover has scratches on the edge of the outside. Details see pictures.

October 18, 2014 at 7:48 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.