Seiko 7A38 - by the numbers

Subtitle

Forums

Forum Home > 7A38-xxxx Model Specific Area > 7A38-706A SAA034J Two-Tone Black(ish) dial

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Here’s the second instalment in the trilogy of short topics on obscure variants of 7A38-706x’s I intend writing up over the next few days.

Many people’s favourite 7A38 is the stainless dark-blue dialed 7A38-706A SAA017J. I haven’t written up a model specific thread about it in this forum section yet, but there are plenty of photos in the WRUW thread and various other discussions about them, particularly with regard to recent selling prices, elsewhere on the forum.

I suspect the reason they’re so popular is because of their conventional lugged watch case, which lends itself to a variety of straps and very dark blue dial, which can almost look black in some light. However, the dial is most definitely a very dark blue. Unlike the parallel 7A28-702x range, which includes the stainless black-dialed 7A28-702A, there was no stainless pure black dialed 7A38 equivalent.

If you search Seiko Oceania's database on 7A38-706A it returns two variants:

There are actually two other gold-tone 7A38-706A's which are completely missing from the above search result (of more anon) ....

but the model that concerns me here is the two-tone black dialed 7A38-706A SAA034J. Because I've still never actually seen one. :(

It's not as if I don't keep an eye open for these things, either. :/ Back in August 2011, I wrote here in another 7A38 thread on RLT:

Oh and has anybody ever seen a black-faced two-tone 7A38-706A or the 7A38-706B with the 720L dial, by the way ? 

June 25, 2013 at 5:18 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Despite not having seen so much as a photo of this particular variant of 7A38-706A in four years of searching, it's not too difficult to conjure up a mental image of how it would look 'in the metal'. All you need do is interpret the parts lists on Seiko Oceania's database:

It's a stainless 7A38-706x watch case, with gold plated bezel, pusher buttons and crown, fitted with the same p/n G1105C two-tone bracelet, that's also used on the two-tone 7A38-7060 SAA016J and two-tone 7A38-706B SAA084J. Not surprisingly, it also uses the same gold plated and lumed hour and minute hands as those models. The sweep second hand and sub-dial hands are gold too.

But the best clue comes from its dial part number 708LXB14. This dial isn't pure black. It's a very dark metallic grey with a hint of bronze. The reason I know this is that the dial part number of the equivalent two-tone 7A28-7020 SPR010J also ends in LXB14.

So our 'mystery' 7A38-706A SAA034J would not look too dissimiilar to this 7A28-7020 (image courtesey of Rainer of Uhforum.de):

The sub-dials wouldn't be quite so recessed and there would, naturally, be day and date windows let into the 1/10 second sub-dial.

The day and date wheels would be black characters on white background, per the part number for the date wheel: 0801593. 8)

You watch, now I've written this, they'll start popping up all over the place. Or perhaps not. 

June 25, 2013 at 1:39 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Seiko7A38 at June 25, 2013 at 1:39 PM

Despite not having seen so much as a photo of this particular variant of 7A38-706A in four years of searching, it's not too difficult to conjure up a mental image of how it would look 'in the metal' ....

Let me re-phrase that: make that in nearly 7 years of searching. 

But, eventually one turned up on eBay in Australia, a little over a week ago, looking more or less exactly as I'd predicted it would .... apart from being missing one of the p/n G1105C bracelet end pieces.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121969218730

IN THIS LISTING I HAVE A VINTAGE SEIKO QUARTZ CHRONOGRAPH MENS WATCH.

ON BACK IT HAS SEIKO WATER RESISTANT 460213 JAPAN 7A38-706 A6?. HAD A NEW BATTERY FITTED, WATCH WORKING. I DON'T KNOW A LOT ABOUT WATCHES. SOLD AS IS. PLEASE SEE OTHER LISTINGS.

The auction ended late yesterday morning, selling for $119.49 Au (approx. £61.65) after 9 bids.

Needless to say, although possibly not the best example 'out there', I made doubly sure it didn't get away. ;)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121969218730

May 5, 2016 at 5:44 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Having finally found one on eBay and won the auction, I must admit to feeling a little deflated. :/

What makes this particular 7A38-706x variant so comparatively scarce - in terms of (a prior complete lack of) online sightings ? :|

There's certainly nothing special about the dial / case / bracelet design. Just think about how many dozens of stainless dark blue dialed 7A38-706A's; common-or-garden two-tone 7A38-7060's and for that matter, two-tone 7A28-7020's (with the same colour dial) that have appeared on eBay (particularly on eBay Germany) over the last few years.

As a sanity check, I just ran a Google image search on Seiko 7A38-706A. Loads of photos of stainless 7A38-706A's (many with their dials looking deceptively black rather than dark blue) and a few of my fugly Italian market gold-tone with the white Arabic number dial.

But not a single image of this two-tone 7A38-706A SAA034J variant. :(

May 5, 2016 at 6:13 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Nukeleus

Ah! I found it!! Scrolling through lists of completed auctions after your comment, this one caught my eye. But as you say, it's a rather strange two-tone variant! How did you find it Paul?

May 6, 2016 at 11:14 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Simply by running a worldwide search (on all eBay domains) on 'Seiko 7A38' (included in title and / or description). 8)

May 6, 2016 at 3:28 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

The lesser-spotted two-tone 7A38-706A from the Land of Oz arrived yesterday. I started stripping it down and giving it a cursory clean and inspection this morning. Overall condition was pretty much as it appeared in the seller's photos, although there are a multitude of light scratches. Everything worked fine and the pushers still have a nice 'clicky' feel to them. When I unscrewed the case-back, I found the gasket was split, but inside the movement was still squeaky clean, with no signs of previous battery leakage. There was some very light rust staining around the top of the case threads, but I suspect that was caused by water ingress through the 2 o'clock pusher.

The dial and hands were nice and clean too. Incidentally, the second language on the day wheel is Spanish.

Although not so readily apparent in the eBay seller's photo, the original Seiko crystal (p/n 320W40GN00) was quite badly scratched. I was going to take some 'before' shots, but I noticed that the crystal looked a bit foggy inside. So I decided to press it out and give it a wipe, first. Typically, as Seiko Hardlex crystals sometimes do, instead of coming out cleanly, it shattered into a million tiny shards. :mad: After cleaning up the mess, I went to my crystal drawer, expecting to pick out a Sternkreuz XMF 320.927 - only to find I didn't have any left in stock ! For the time being and for the purpose of taking a few photos, I've fitted a cheap generic 32.0mm Ø x 1.5mm crystal, but it doesn't have much of a polished bevel edge as the original Seiko and Sternkreuz substitutes do.

Something that I noticed while replacing the crystal was the colour of the inner circle on the Tachmeter ring. It's printed in that same silvery grey you'll find on other 7A38-706x Tachymeter rings, rather than gold to match the lettering, as one might have expected.

A tricky one to photograph; to capture the dial's true colour. Hence the second shot. I discarded quite a few others. :roll:

Again the case-back was quite scratched, but thankfully all the original stampings are intact and legible. They read as you'd expect:

SEIKO WATER RESISTANT (s/n) 460213 JAPAN A (Suwa symbol) ST. STEEL SGP BEZEL 7A38-706A [A6]

There's also a ding on the underside of the watch case, between the 2 o'clock and 4 o'clock pushers.

Not sure at this stage whether to fettle up this watch case or swap it into another spare one. :/

May 14, 2016 at 8:51 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Here's a couple of slightly different wrist shots to the one I just posted in the WRUW thread.

The first one almost captures the true naturally lit colour of the dial - neither black nor brown.

But it's so easy to allow too much light to fall on the dial, in an effort to illuminate the gold printing, which makes it look much lighter.

May 14, 2016 at 9:02 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Intrigued as to how this watch (with an English / Spanish day wheel) turned up in Western Australia, I sent the eBay seller oldvalues a message asking how he came by it. He only just replied this morning:

Hello Paul,

Sorry for the slow response, you are right I do have a shop.

I purchased the watches from a lady in Perth Western Australia, the watches belonged to her son.

I said I don't know a lot about watches which is true, but I did see an advert in the paper wanting to buy vintage Seiko watches, so I assumed they must be collectable.

Thanks for all your info.

Regards, Paul.

So I'm really none the wiser. :/

May 19, 2016 at 6:29 AM Flag Quote & Reply

mahamithra

Here is one that has just popped up completely different then your Ozy one.  No gold it seems????

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/very-rare-SEIKO-7a38-706A-Chronograph-Deep-Blue-/282319530973

What do you make of it?

January 9, 2017 at 4:55 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Please do me a favour, Mithra. Instead of asking inane questions, please try reading the information presented to you.

In the second paragraph of my first post in this thread, I wrote:

Many people’s favourite 7A38 is the stainless dark-blue dialed 7A38-706A SAA017J. I haven’t written up a model specific thread about it in this forum section yet, but there are plenty of photos in the WRUW thread and various other discussions about them, particularly with regard to recent selling prices, elsewhere on the forum.

PS - That 7A38-706A on eBay Germany is a re-listing (not the first time) and @ 300 Euros it's over-priced for the condition.

January 9, 2017 at 5:21 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.