Seiko 7A38 - by the numbers

Forums

Forum Home > eBay, LeBonCoin, Mercado Libre, Yahoo Japan, etc. > The 7A28-7120 RAF Gen 1 PriceWatch thread

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Excuse me for using this post to turn the page, but ....

This has probably got to be an absolute all-time record for the length of time taken to sell a 7A28-7120 RAF Gen 1 - EVER !!

Those of you who have followed this thread from the outset (or maybe back-tracked though it, at a later date) may remember a rather tatty looking example that was listed on Yahoo Japan auctions back in September 2014 by a seller using the ID Britishchandler.

To save you paging back through, it was on page 10 of this thread, that I first posted about it ....

September 20, 2016 at 7:32 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Seiko7A38 at September 7, 2014 at 7:11 AM

Following the trend for ever increasing asking prices for 7A28-7120 RAF Gen. 1's, here's one that's just been listed on Yahoo Japan:

Whereas the previous example listed on YJ in August doesn't appear to have sold @ 98,000 Yen (nor has since been re-listed) ....

Here's another 7A28-7120 RAF Gen 1, in a rather more 'knocked about' condition, that was listed yesterday for the same price. :roll:

http://page10.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/m124597366

セイコー SEIKO 英国軍 ミリタリー クロノ GEN1 7A28 イギリス

Google translates the brief Japanese description as follows:

Seiko Military Chronograph. It has been adopted in the (RAF) British Air Force to become the first generation model.

MODEL No.7A28-7120 made in1989. 

It has been engraved on the case-back:

6645-99

(Arrow mark)

8809/89

Belt width is 20mm. There are scratches on the crystal. Please refer to a photograph. Shipping will be 1000 yen.

The seller later increased the price to 128,000 Yen (I can't remember exactly when) and continued to re-list it ad nauseam.
(If you type 7A28-7120 Yahoo Japan into the search window, you'll find other later references to it, running well into 2015.)

I don't run searches on 7A28 on Yahoo Japan on a regular basis, but when I did this morning, I was surprised to see that it was no longer being re-listed. A search on closed auctions revealed that it had finally sold last week - for the increased 128,000 Yen opening bid price (equivalent to $1225.40 USD / £968.30 GBP) after TWO YEARS and 10 days !! :o

But if you think that's crazy here's another all-time record - for stupidity - also from the Land of the Rising Sun ....

September 20, 2016 at 7:36 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

What made me notice that long running YJ listing for a 7A28-7120 RAF Gen. 1 was M.I.A. was the appearance of another ....

A new listing - for one day only. Quite distinctive, being fitted with a tan leather strap, instead of the customary NATO.

http://page17.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/v472411171

Google translates the seller's Japanese description as follows:

As is USED goods real military watch is the beauty goods. Belt performs a neat OH at the manufacturer for exhibition was also dare fitted with a new belt of Paris between the formula rather than a NATO military type. Black dial of the watch was fitted with a brown so as to further sets off. Yoshijo also comes with SS made of mono matte to fit the case. You to the NC / NR please that was looking for a military chronograph of this Seiko. Decent thing does not come out so rarely! I need your help by NC / NR.

The 'pie-in-the-sky' asking price of 216,990 Yen translates into real money terms as $2131 USD or £1643 GBP !! :o

The one-day listing actually ended about 15 minutes ago. Needless to say, there were no takers ! :roll:

September 20, 2016 at 8:23 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Seiko7A38 at September 18, 2016 at 3:36 PM

Meanwhile, another eBay listing for a 7A28-7120 RAF Gen. 1 by a UK seller, had appeared earlier this week. This one doesn't seem to have garnered much attention so far, with bidding still only at £112, with less than two days of the auction to run.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/152240457575

Seiko Gen 1 Chronograph 

This is a military aircrew watch 

type 6645-99-7683056 dated 88 

Watch is in full working order and in fantastic condition as shown in the pictures. 

Only wear is some discolouration on the minute hand. (you can see on main photo) 

Any questions please ask.

Meanwhile, back in Blighty, that other eBay auction for a 7A28-7120 RAF Gen. 1 has just ended a few moments ago, selling for a rather more down-to-earth £532 after 36 bids.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/152240457575

September 20, 2016 at 12:10 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

I wouldn't go as far as to describe it as 'AMAZING', but this better than average condition 7A28-7120 RAF Gen. 1 was listed yesterday by a UK eBay seller. The opening bid price was a sensible £250 and it transpired that the reserve price was set at a realistic £500.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/272384031279

SEIKO Gen 1 (1984) RAF Quartz watch in AMAZING condition. 

The RAF issued the military model Generation 1 from Oct 1984 until Nov 1990, which makes this a rare early model. It would have been in service at the time of the 1st Gulf War. 

The model features a stainless steel case and is powered by the highly-regarded, 15-jewel, quartz 7A28 Seiko movement. 

Gen 1 watches have 3 pushers which control all the usual chronograph functions, including split timings and 1/10 sec timing as well as second and minute indicators up to 30 minutes. 

The condition for the year is extraordinary - the watch face is unmarked, the hands are still luminous and the original crystal looks as good as new. 

The Chronograph functions all work as they should and the hands reset to the correct resting positions.

Time keeping its excellent and a new battery has just been fitted (paperwork will be provided). 

The watch takes a 20mm NATO Strap and a new, unused, strap is included.

The RAF-issued Seiko military Gen 1 watch is considered one of the most sought after military watches. These watches are becoming increasingly rare and it's very unusual to find an original example in this condition. This is a highly collectable item and would be a great present for a collector.

The watch will be sent Tracked and Insured.

September 22, 2016 at 1:37 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Seiko7A38 at September 18, 2016 at 3:44 PM

There's also this pairing of 7A28-7120 RAF Gen. 1 and 7T27-7A20 RN Gen. 2 which was listed yesterday evening by a US eBay seller. The opening bid price of $750 might sound reasonable at first - until you read the seller's description properly, that is.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291878362438

This auction is for a pair of Seiko chronograph watches.

The first is a Gen-1 British RAF issued military watch from 1984. Overall the watch is in good cosmetic condition with wear indicative of age. The case back is appropriately marked with the National Stock Number, Broad Arrow and Serial Number / Year sequence. The movement is a quartz 7A28a 15 J and while the watch has a brand new battery installed, it runs but does not keep time. The watch will need to be adjusted and / or serviced. The watch does have fixed bars and a nylon military style strap will be included as well as a spare brand new 394 battery.

The second is a Gen-2 with non-luminous dial and hands like those issued to the British RN submarine crews. Overall the watch is in good cosmetic condition with wear indicative of age. The case back has no military issued markings. The movement is a quartz 7T27 and after a brand new battery appears to keep good time, although a service is recommended to ensure complete functionality of the watch. The watch does have fixed bars and a nylon military style strap will be included as well as a spare brand new 394 battery.

Please do not bid if you do not intend to pay promptly at the auction ending. Please wait for an invoice with the proper shipping charges. These items are used and sold as such. Please check photos and ask questions. All sales final and items sold as is. 

Thanks for looking.

Hmm. Not quite sure what to make of that one. The winning bidder seemed pretty determined, placing 5 of the 8 bids. Did he read the seller's description properly ? Or was it the prospect of snagging a 7A28 Gen. 1 and 7T27 Gen. 2 (albeit non-issued) in one hit that lured him ? :/

Sold late last night for $911 (approx. £703). The mind boggles. 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291878362438

September 25, 2016 at 12:01 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Seiko7A38 at September 18, 2016 at 3:13 PM

Bidding on that 7A28-7120 RAF Gen. 1 had increased from £492 to £560 by mid-week, thanks to the intervention of a newly created zero-feedback bidder, whose participation could have been interpreted as a shill. Whether they were a shill bidder or not is academic, because their higher bid of £620 was blitzed three times by the winning bidder in the final minutes, selling for £640 after 16 bids.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/191966447839

Well perhaps there may have been an element of shill bidding involved in that auction, because the same 7A28-7120 RAF Gen. 1 was re-listed yesterday evening. Other than adding Relisted to the previous title, the seller gave no reason (e.g. non-paying bidder) in the description, which appears to be identical.

September 26, 2016 at 3:07 AM Flag Quote & Reply

MikeO

I thought I'd best answer the suggestion that there was something underhand about the relisting of this watch.

The high bidder last week contacted me before bidding, asking if I would ship to a far east address - I told him I had restricted sale to EU addresses and that I would only ship to an approved PayPal address.

He went ahead with his bid and won the auction, then asked me to send the watch to a non PayPal-approved UK forwarding address. He then said he didn't want to use PayPal and asked to pay via wire transfer.

At this point it all appeared too dodgy, so I offered a Second Chance offer to the runner-up, but received no response.

Which is why it is now listed again - I hope this helps to clear things up.

Best wishes,

Mike

(gsmdo)

September 27, 2016 at 12:50 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Thank you for your explanation, Mike. :)

Like I said (in my email), had I been you, personally I would have cancelled the bids by that Zero-feedback newbie bidder in the first auction - without even asking. The fact that you allowed his participation probably scared off other potential bidders (thinking that it was a shill - as they frequently turn out to be). I know that seeing this, at that late stage, would certainly have put me off bidding.

http://offer.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&item=191966447839

http://offer.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBidderProfile&mode=1&item=191966447839&aid=l***i

September 27, 2016 at 12:54 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Seiko7A38 at September 22, 2016 at 1:37 PM

I wouldn't go as far as to describe it as 'AMAZING', but this better than average condition 7A28-7120 RAF Gen. 1 was listed yesterday by a UK eBay seller. The opening bid price was a sensible £250 and it transpired that the reserve price was set at a realistic £500.

That earlier UK eBay auction for a 7A28-7120 RAF Gen. 1 ended a couple of moments ago, with the bidding jumping from an already strong £625 to an amazing £779.99, as two snipers blitzed it in the closing seconds.

October 1, 2016 at 3:48 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Erstwhile forum member MikeO's (a.k.a. eBay seller gsmdo) re-listed auction for his 7A28-7120 RAF Gen. 1 ended about 5 minutes ago, selling for £608.08 after 11 bids. Let's hope the winning bidder* doesn't present any problems, this time around. ;)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/191976002702

Interestingly, the winning bidder of Mike's auction shows in abbreviated / encrypted form as _***a with a whopping (24537) feedback score - the same as the winning eBay ID on the previous auction (the one which sold for £779.99, yesterday). Presumably this is some overseas proxy bidding service (possibly from Japan). :/

October 2, 2016 at 3:17 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Meanwhile here's another UK eBay listing for a 7A28-7120 RAF Gen. 1, which appeared earlier this evening. It already has one bidder at the opening bid price of £400, so it doesn't look as if the seller's mis-spelling of SEIKO in the title is going to be a hindrance. 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/222268808068

For sale here is my Seiko7A28-7120 RAF Pilots Watch. The numbers on the caseback indicate that this was issued in 1989. 

The watch is in great condition considering the age. There are some small marks around the circumference of the face, but the crystal is unmarked. As you see in the photos, one of the bars has a very slight bend to it. To be honest, if a watch of this heritage didn't have any marks, you might well be suspicious - these watches have been used by serving personnel, after all. 

In terms of functions, everything works as it should, it has recently been serviced by Watchdoctors, so carries almost a year's warranty. The battery is just a few weeks old. 

You may find additional background information about this model at this website: 

http://home.earthlink.net/~nederick/SeikoChronoRevuVulcF.htm

In terms of straps, I am supplying the winning bidder with all three of my nato straps - all have had only very light use. 

Any questions, please ask. Note that this is an auction, there is no "buy it now" price and I will not end the auction early.

October 2, 2016 at 4:07 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

The above eBay auction for a 7A28-7120 RAF Gen. 1 just ended, selling for a whopping £740 after 8 bids. :o

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/222268808068

October 9, 2016 at 12:22 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

But if you were one of the losing bidders on the last one, I wouldn't be too disappointed ....

Because, sure as eggs is eggs, another will be along shortly, to take its place, if not before ....

This 7A28-7120 RAF Gen. 1 was listed yesterday evening by a UK seller with an opening bid price of £150 (and no reserve).

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/252575526945

Seiko RAF Gen1 Watch issued in 1989. In excellent overall condition complete with black NATO style strap.

October 9, 2016 at 12:33 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

The above ebay auction for a 7A28-7120 RAF Gen. 1 just ended, selling for £670 after 5 bids.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/252575526945

October 15, 2016 at 3:01 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

This listing for a 7A28-7120 RAF Gen. 1 which appeared on eBay a couple of days ago, made me do a double take - mostly because the lurid orange carpet background looked so familiar. Same seller as before watchkandee (see bottom of the previous page) but a different watch - also a 1984 issue, but different issue / serial numbers and not in such good condition as their previous offering.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/191995640111

A fine example of this renowned Seiko.

In full working order, in excellent condition and fitted with new battery and strap. 

A much sought after watch that is becoming less available.

October 15, 2016 at 3:21 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

When I first spotted this listing for a job lot of 7A28-7120 RAF Gen. 1 and (non-issued ?) 7T27-7A20 by US eBay seller pulahead, I mistakenly assumed it was a re-listing of his previous auction from September (see higher up this page). But it's not. Although the two listings look very similar, these are two different watches - in worse condition than his previous pairing (which sold for $911). I thought he was fortunate to get that for them. So he's pushing his luck with this pair - with a ludicrous Buy-it-Now price of $1250

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291912647720

Again, to any prospective purchasers, I would recommend reading the description carefully:

This auction is for a pair of Seiko chronograph watches. 

The first is a Gen-1 British RAF issued military watch from 1986. Overall the watch is in good cosmetic condition with wear comparative of age. The case back is appropriately marked with the National Stock Number, Broad Arrow and Serial Number/ Year sequence. The movement is a quartz 7A28a 15 J with a new battery installed, appears to keep great time, although a service is recommended to ensure complete functionality of the subdials on the watch.

The watch does have fixed bars and a nylon military style strap will be included as well as a spare brand new 394 battery.

The second is a Gen-2 with luminous dial and hands like those issued to the British RN submarine crews. Overall the watch is in good cosmetic condition with wear comparative of age. The case back has had its military issued markings sterilized* (although there appears to be a very faint number visible). The movement is a quartz 7T27 and after a brand new battery appears to keep great time, although a service is recommended to ensure complete functionality of the subdials on the watch.

Additionally, the fixed spring bars have been mutilated and should be repaired to safely secure the strap to the watch, a nylon military style strap will be included as well as a spare brand new 394 battery. 

Please do not bid if you do not intend to pay promptly at the auction ending. Please wait for an invoice with the proper shipping charges. These items are used and sold as such. Please check photos and ask questions. All sales final and items sold as is.

Thanks for looking.

*Read sterilized AND completely butchered. 

October 16, 2016 at 8:43 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Here's a couple more 7A28-7120 RAF Gen. 1's listed on eBay by UK sellers in the last 24 hours ....

The first one is fitted with a leather strap, rather than the customary NATO ....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/252593236510

Seiko Military Issue RAF Pilot Wrist Watch Gen.1. 7A28 - 7120.

Water resistant, manufactured 1984. Only one owner. Brown leather strap. 

Very good condition and recently fully serviced at a cost of £35. 

Issue numbers on back: 6645-99 / 7683056 / 0095/84 482771

As yet, there are surprisingly no takers at the £500 opening bid price. Perhaps the reason is the fitment of the leather strap ....

I'd suggest it might be worth messaging the seller, before bidding, asking how it was fitted - i.e. are the fixed bars still intact ?

Reason I say this is the strap has stitched loops, rather than the folded-over metal tab type that you'd normally expect to find ....

Such as the strap fitted to that ludicrously over-priced example on Yahoo Japan auctions (mentioned higher up the page).

Incidentally that watch is still being re-listed (retaining the same item number), currently for same ridiculous 'pie-in-the-sky' asking price of 216,990 Yen, but now for 5 days at a time, instead of daily. :roll:

October 20, 2016 at 7:18 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

The second 7A28-7120 RAF Gen. 1 has an opening bid price of £400. The listing isn't particulary well titled or described and the seller certainly hasn't done himself any favours by uploading an out-of-focus blurry side-on photo as the primary image. :roll:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/182320871425

Seiko R.A.F. watch generation 1. Perfect working order, serviced January 2016 at Seiko uk with a one year warranty.

October 20, 2016 at 8:03 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

I just noticed that there's another 7A28-7120 RAF Gen 1. which has been listed on Yahoo Japan auctions within the last 24 hours or so - although it isn't flagged as 'New' any longer. It's a 2+ day listing, with a typically over-optimistic Buy-it-Now price of 130,000 Yen (which equates to approx. $1252.50 USD / £1024 GBP).

http://page2.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/b232736675

Google translates the Japanese seller's description as follows:

SEIKO British Army Military Chrono GEN1 7A28 United Kingdom 

Thank you for seeing the commodity.

■ Product state 

There is a fine crack, but those of the beautiful state in 7A28-7120. 

Behavior is good (is quartz.) Is already adjusted prior to sale. 

Belt dirt and etc. Sure. So it can be replaced.

After easily was the NATO type, it is recommended to be used interchangeably with your favorite belt.

■ Product Description 

Will be the first generation model that has been adopted in the British Air Force (RAF) 

Is a real military watch the fixed spring bar made by Seiko to British spec. 

★ Payment method Sumitomo Trust and SBI Bank 

★ Shipping is Yupack cash on delivery, ships. 

★ I ask by a no objection no return. 

★ After the end of the auction, please contact us, such as shipping address within 24 hours.

There are half a dozen more clear photos embedded in the description, showing the usual small nicks around the bezel ....

I just can't be bothered to upload them. See for yourself. :P

October 22, 2016 at 7:45 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.