Seiko 7A38 - by the numbers

Subtitle

Forums

Forum Home > eBay, LeBonCoin, Mercado Libre, Yahoo Japan, etc. > The 7A28-7120 RAF Gen 1 PriceWatch thread

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Seiko7A38 at December 18, 2016 at 8:23 AM

Meanwhile, overnight, this 7A28-7120 RAF Gen. 1 was listed by a US eBay seller, with an optimistic opening bid price of $750 ! 

Why the seller has bothered to include United Kingdom among the 'Posts to' countries is completely beyond me. :roll: Because he's effectively excluded bidders from UK (or at least those with any common sense) by what he's written in the second part of his description. Even assuming a UK bidder were to win the auction for the opening bid price, thanks to his intransigence, they'd be looking at Customs charges (20% VAT + ParcelFarce Priority clearance) of nearly £140 on top ! :o

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/322362763242

Very good condition. The chronograph functions correctly and the pushers have a crisp snap when pressed. I do not know it's service history. The watch comes with a new Maratac grey zulu strap. There are some minor marks on the crystal. The bezel has some small dings.

Please ask all questions before bidding as returns are not allowed. I've made all reasonable attempts to accurately describe this watch. Please don't make offers outside of eBay to buy my watches. Payment is due within 72 hours after the end of the auction. Shipping will occur within two business days after payment is received. Customs duties and tariffs are not included in the price of the watch, as they are the buyer’s responsibility. Please do not ask me to falsify the customs documents (i.e. list the item as a “gift”), as this is a crime (perjury) in the USA.

Slightly belated update to that US eBay listing for a 7A28-7120 RAF Gen. 1 - it sold in the early hours of Christmas Day for an astonishing $960 (approx. £783) after 8 bids - presumably to a US buyer, who wanted it pretty badly. Check out the bidding !

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm//322362763242

December 26, 2016 at 10:31 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Here's the first auction listing for a 7A28-7120 RAF Gen. 1 for 2017 - by LiveAuctioneers.com, rather than an eBay seller.

It's actually being offered by a German auction house - Auctionata Paddle 8 AG in Berlin on 27th January (ending @ 5:00pm).

Athough 7A28 Gen. 1 prices are clearly on the increase, their estimate of 1600 to 2000 Euros is wildly optimistic. Remember, even if a bidder was 'lucky' enough to win it for the opening bid price of 1000 Euros, there's 29.75% Buyer's Premium to be added !! :o

http://new.liveauctioneers.com/item/50127513

Hang on a minute .... I thought the name of that German auction house, Auctionata sounded vaguely familiar. 

December 31, 2016 at 11:57 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Seiko7A38 at February 2, 2016 at 5:45 AM

In the current temporary absence of any 7A28-7120 RAF Gen. 1's on eBay, here's another coming up for sale on LiveAuctioneers.com in the next two weeks or so. The auction is being held by Auctionata at Havel Studios in Berlin on 17th February, but of course you can bid online. If you do, don't forget to factor in the 25% commission on top of the 700 Euros starting bid price. 

http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/43644486_seiko-military-chronograph-gen-1-raf-japan-c-1984

They're the same outfit that failed to sell a 7A28-7120 RAF Gen. 1 in February this year.  

December 31, 2016 at 1:21 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

O.K. and so to the first eBay auction listing for a 7A28-7120 RAF Gen. 1 for 2017 - not the best of examples to start the new year.

Apart from being missing one fixed bar (the other is badly bent) the watch has other issues besides (see description). It was listed a couple of days ago, by a UK seller, with an opening bid price of a Tenner, but bidding has already reached £117. Go figure. :roll:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/142235204605

A rare SEIKO generation 1 pilots watch first year of manufacture 1984 no 0870 that's the 870th made of a total of 11000 over 5 years. 

It's getting harder to find this watch as years pass. 

This has a few issues the watch keeps good time but the second hand flickers and doesn't move even when trying to reset it. All the other dials work fine. The fixed pin on one side has been broken off cleanly and the other is fixed fine but bent. There is a scratch on the side where the pin has been torn off. 

I have seen these both replaced by fixed pins or changing it to a spring pin. 

All the bits are original even the Crystal is prefect with nice bevel edges. 

Please see the photos as part of the description. There will be no returns on this item as its damaged. 

These watches go for good money get your hands on this one for repair or parts at a fraction of the price.

(Following text copied from Ned Frederick's webpage):

The first RAF-issued Seiko chronograph ( Gen. 1 ) was procured from Seiko UK and issued primarily to Royal Air Force pilots and navigators from October 1984 until November 1990. According to documents I have received from Seiko, 11,307 pieces of this Gen. 1 model were supplied by Seiko to the British Armed Forces. 

This Gen. 1 model has three pushers and has all the usual chronograph functions including: split times and 1/10 sec timing, as well as second and minute indicators up to 30 minutes. 

A wonderful idiosyncrasy of the Gen 1 chronograph occurs with the register at the 3 o'clock position. This sub-dial measures tenths of a second actively until 10 minutes have passed. At this point the register stops actively measuring time, even though it keeps track within the movement. Once the chronograph is stopped the hand will move to the correct position indicating the tenths of a second that have elapsed. I suppose this was a power saving feature, but it is puzzling until you learn what is going on. 

The dial has luminous markers as a result of the application of Promethium 147, a mildly radioactive emitter. The case measures 37mm across, excluding the crown and pushers, and has an inter-lug width of 20mm. Fixed strap bars are used as required by the MoD standard. The crystal is mineral glass and although Seiko no longer carries the original crystal

Happy Bidding.

January 7, 2017 at 5:56 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

The above eBay auction for a poor example of 7A28-7120 RAF Gen. 1 ended about 15 minutes ago, selling for £422 after 28 bids.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/142235204605

January 12, 2017 at 12:03 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Over the last week, I've been preoccupied with other issues (relating to the website / forum), so threads like this may have been temporarily neglected. :/ Though generally, January seems to been pretty quiet on the 7A28-7120 RAF Gen. 1 front, so far. This one was listed by a US eBay seller a couple of days ago, with a speculative 'pie-in-the-sky' Buy-it-Now price of $1099. Not the best of examples - note the manky lume on the hour and minute hands (never a good sign) and worn and scratched caseback.

Still, I expect some sucker will be along anytime soon.  

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201788228506

Seiko P Chronograph RAF Gen 1

Super Rare !!!! 

Been fully overhauled !

Every function works and keep excellent time ! 

Only 11000 peices were made for the Royal Air Force pilot 

Most are destroyed or damaged ! 

Very hard to come by in this condition and working properly! 

Don't miss out your chance of owning this vintage seiko that everyone dream of !

January 22, 2017 at 7:27 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Seiko7A38 at December 31, 2016 at 11:57 AM

Here's the first auction listing for a 7A28-7120 RAF Gen. 1 for 2017 - by LiveAuctioneers.com, rather than an eBay seller.

It's actually being offered by a German auction house - Auctionata Paddle 8 AG in Berlin on 27th January (ending @ 5:00pm).

Athough 7A28 Gen. 1 prices are clearly on the increase, their estimate of 1600 to 2000 Euros is wildly optimistic. Remember, even if a bidder was 'lucky' enough to win it for the opening bid price of 1000 Euros, there's 29.75% Buyer's Premium to be added !! :o

That LiveAuctioneers.com auction for a 7A28-7120 RAF Gen. 1 (by Auctionata Paddle 8 AG in Berlin) took place on Friday 27th.

There were only two bids, taking the price to 1100 Euros, plus the 29.75% Buyers Premium, making a total of 1427.25 Euros. :o

January 29, 2017 at 5:45 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

I note that the would-be US eBay seller of the 7A28-7120 RAF Gen. 1 in my penultimate post (dated 22nd January) has since reduced his speculative 'pie-in-the-sky' Buy-it-Now price from $1099 to $1050. The listing now has 26 watchers - but still no takers. :roll:

Meanwhile here's another 7A28-7120 RAF Gen. 1 listed by another US eBay seller, with a Buy-it-Now price of 'only' $950. This one, although slightly cheaper should be considered 'off limits' by any potential UK (or European) buyers, or at least  those with any common sense. It's being offered through eBay's GSP program, which means you'd have to pre-pay an additional $260 on top.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/252743391969

Great Gen 1 seiko. Very honest vintage piece. 

Appears to be running well. 

Original issued strap included with the watch.

January 29, 2017 at 6:04 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Thankfully there are still plenty of 7A28-7120 RAF Gen. 1's left in Blighty - if not always in pristine condition. Here's a new UK eBay listing that appeared yesterday afternoon. The 7-day auction had a low start opening bid price of £0.99 (and no reserve). It seems to be attracting plenty of interest; as of this morning, bidding is currently at £186 and certain to go much higher.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/322405360965

Continuing with my theme of listing one classic Seiko every day...

Today it's the turn of this rare UK Military issue 7A28 from 1988

These were issued to the RAF for only a few years and are therefore genuinely rare.

This was the first generation of these watches, based on one of Seiko's best ever quartz chronograph movements - the 7A

This is a genuine military issue watch with all of the correct markings on the Caseback

It is 100% original (apart from the battery!)

Case in good unpolished condition with original Matt finish. A few marks from usage but no significant blemishes.

Caseback is a bit worn but all of the markings are still very visible - including the all-important 'pheon', or broad arrow, which has been used to mark property of the government (or Crown) in England and the United Kingdom as far back as the 17th century. Familiar to military watch collectors, the broad arrow is featured on the dial or case back of nearly every British military watch.

Dial is very good - all the correct details and clean lume

Crown is original as are all pushers, which work properly

Original hands in good condition

Crystal is original but quite badly scratched - these are readily available however I chose to leave the 'battle scars' on this one!

These have fixed bars for a NATO strap and on this example these have some marks which I think might be glue from an old strap

This is a vintage watch so I give no guarantees on timekeeping or water resistance. I have worn this piece every once in a while however and I recall it keeping good time.

Service history unknown

Battery is brand new

Case size = 36mm across not including crown

Watch will be well packaged and posted with expedience worldwide.

please bid from 99p with no reserve

Please check my other listings for more vintage Seiko loveliness!

January 29, 2017 at 6:21 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

This 7A28-7120 RAF Gen. 1 was listed on Yahoo Japan auctions earlier today, with an opening bid price of only 1 Yen. Bidding is already at 49,000 Yen, with 6 more days of the auction to run.

http://page15.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/t502335903

There may only be one YJ hosted image, but the seller has embedded 8 more very clear photos of the watch in his description.

I can't be bothered to upload them - so have a look for yourself. Google translates the Japanese seller's description as follows:

Extraordinary rare! Seiko ★ SEIKO British Army RAF Military GEN 1 Chronograph ★ 7 A 28

(Product Description)

of the Royal Air Force RAF of SEIKO GEN1, is a chronograph watch. SEIKO was requested to manufacture from the British Department of Defense and is fewer than gen 2 and very rare. The "P" mark on the dial indicates that promethium is used as a luminescent paint. There are limits to the number of British forces to emit, it is really rare. The windshield is exchanged for a new item and it is very beautiful. 

Please pardon some error. 

· Case diameter: Side 36㎜ (not including crown), lug to lug 44㎜.

lug width: The 20mm band is a bonus, returned goods can not be accepted. 

(Operation)

is operating especially mad rather than in the quartz.

(Delivery method) 

can be specified Sagawa Express prepayment date and time.

(Before the bidding notes) 

Antique, it has exhibited towards the goods to vintage center. Aged change, secondhand goods. Understanding ... only person only bid please do it. 

Because it is old, if you do not move even if you roll a crown, shake gently and there are many cases to move. 

Those who stick to sophistication are antique and vintage goods, please refrain from bidding. 

Since parts that are expendable items often have no original parts used, those who are looking for all original should refrain from bidding. 

For the explanation of the condition, we will leave out the explanation so that subjectivity does not enter. Please confirm with a photograph before a bid. 

Please be sure to tell the purchase intention from the question column the bid of the newer one. When you can not contact, we may cancel the tender. If you can not contact within 24 hours, we will cancel, so please understand. 

The one with a bad evaluation (cancellation without reason), may cancel the tender at this judgment. 

As long as there is no incompleteness here, we can not accept returns, so please take care. 

If there are points to worry about the product, please do not hesitate to question. Since questions after it makes a successful bid can not be answered, please acknowledge. 

After 2 days after the item arrives we can not respond to refund in any case. 

Since I have sent many others, I would appreciate it if you can see.

And in case you were wondering (or thought I might have forgotten about it) ....

January 31, 2017 at 6:01 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Seiko7A38 at September 20, 2016 at 8:23 AM

What made me notice that long running YJ listing for a 7A28-7120 RAF Gen. 1 was M.I.A. was the appearance of another ....

A new listing - for one day only. Quite distinctive, being fitted with a tan leather strap, instead of the customary NATO.

http://page17.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/v472411171

That other 7A28-7120 RAF Gen. 1 fitted with a leather strap, which was first listed on Yahoo Japan auctions, back in September last year, with a preposterous 'pie-in-the-sky' asking price of 216,990 Yen .... is still being re-listed by the Japanese seller. :roll:

http://page17.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/v472411171

January 31, 2017 at 6:11 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Here's the belated result for a UK eBay listing for a 7A28-7120 RAF Gen. 1, that I missed spotting last week, while the auction was still live. It was another 'Untested', sold as seen example offered by the military surplus seller soldierselect. This one had a badly chipped crystal at 12 o'clock and shards of glass were visible on the dial surface. The minute hand was also tarnished, possibly the result of moisture ingress. Like his three previous auction listings (documented on the previous page), this one similarly had an opening bid price of £300 and was of only 3 days duration. It sold for £575 after 13 bids.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/172497810214

February 1, 2017 at 4:39 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

That US eBay listing for a 7A28-7120 RAF Gen. 1, which was being offered through eBay's GSP programme, with a Buy-it-Now price of $960 (+ $260 GSP charges) ended yesterday afternoon. It sold for a slightly reduced $920 - presumably to a US buyer.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/252743391969

February 1, 2017 at 4:49 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Here's another 'head only' listing by a UK eBay seller, which was uploaded yesterday evening - also with a low start opening bid price of £0.99 (and no reserve). This example appears to be in slightly better overall condition than the other current listing, but is fitted with a non-standard replacement crown (as stated in the seller's description).

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/332109845055

Case in good unpolished condition with original Matt finish. A few marks from usage but no significant blemishes.

Caseback is a bit worn but all of the markings are still very visible - including the all-important 'pheon', or broad arrow, which has been used to mark property of the government (or Crown) in England and the United Kingdom as far back as the 17th century. Familiar to military watch collectors, the broad arrow is featured on the dial or case back of nearly every British military watch.

Dial is very good - all the correct details and clean lume

Crown may have been replaced but appears to be genuine Seiko part.

All pushers appear to be original, which work properly

Original hands in good condition

Crystal has been replaced with the genuine Seiko part.

These have fixed bars for a NATO strap and on this example these have some marks which I think might be glue from an old strap

This is a vintage watch so I give no guarantees on timekeeping or water resistance. I have worn this piece every once in a while however and I recall it keeping good time.

Service history unknown

Battery is brand new

Case size = 36mm across not including crown

UK ONLY PLEASE

I WILL ACCEPT CASH ON COLLECTION, OTHERWISE PAYPAL THANKS.

February 1, 2017 at 5:05 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

The previous UK eBay auction for a 'head only' 7A28-7120 RAF Gen. 1, the one by the man with a very (miles) long user ID, ended a couple of hours ago, selling for a whopping £740 after 34 bids. The World has truly gone stark raving bonkers for RAF Gen. 1's. 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/322405360965

February 4, 2017 at 1:47 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

That other recent UK eBay auction for a 'head only' 7A28-7120 RAF Gen. 1, offered by the 'hirsute' seller, ended a few moments ago, selling for £691 after 30 bids.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/332109845055

February 5, 2017 at 3:12 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

That 7-day Yahoo Japan auction for a 7A28-7120 RAF Gen. 1 ended a couple of minutes ago, selling for ¥124,000 Yen (equivalent to $1105.26 USD / £886.69 GBP) after 18 bids. (The auction was automatically extended by 5 minutes due to late bids placed.)

http://page15.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/t502335903

February 6, 2017 at 8:32 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Phil

I had hoped to buy one of these for maybe £200 / £300. It looks like those days are long gone. :roll: Even common 7A28's / 38's seem to fetch a premium now and most not in great condition.

February 6, 2017 at 1:21 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

LONG gone, indeed Phil. :roll: Here's a 7A28-7120 RAF Gen. 1 that was listed yesterday evening by a UK eBay seller.

It comes with TWO repro' straps and FREE postage. The Buy-it-Now asking price is £969.  I'll say no more. 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/182452962743

If you're looking at this, I'm sure you know what it is. 

This is a 1986 Seiko Gen 1 RAF Issued wristwatch, supplied in original condition, with two new reproduction straps, a leather and nato brown cuff strap, as they were originally supplied with, and an admiralty grey nato strap by Phoenix (heat glued not stitched, as with the originals). I'm a collector, and have several Seikos, but I just don't wear this one, so it's time to move it on. 

It is all original, with the original dial and unpolished case. The crystal is what I presume to be original and has several small scratches and a chip at the 2 o'clock position as can be seen in the photos. I haven't replaced it because it doesn't affect the usability, is only noticeable when inspected closely, and keeping the crystal preserves the originality. Should you want to replace it, crystals and gaskets (also sapphire crystals) are available on ebay. 

The back of the case indicates that the watch was built in July 1986, and issued to a pilot in the same year. 

This is a lovely watch, classically beautiful, in original condition and with both versions of the straps it is seen on.

February 13, 2017 at 2:58 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

I note that earlier today, the above UK eBay seller has reduced his Buy-it-Now price by £150 from £969 to £819 - not because he realized it was over-priced for the condition, but because it has a minor issue with the chronograph function.

See *LISTING UPDATE* amendment to the description below.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/182452962743

*Listing Update* - Prior to listing the watch I have only ever run the chronograph for a few minutes. I have now run it for longer and though it keeps good time, the 9 o'clock subdial (which registers minutes, up to a maximum of 30) has a habit of occasionally stopping. It does still reset to zero, and this may be caused by the old 'sticky oil' which would clear if the watch were run regularly, but I appreciate that you might want to get it serviced to put this right. General time keeping appears to be unaffected and the watch has been running and keeping good time. As I said, the watch may put itself right over time, you may be happy (as I have been) to use the chronograph for timing nothing longer than a boiling egg, or you may wish to have it fully serviced and put back to perfect working order. With this in mind, I have reduced the asking price by £150 (from £969 to £819), which should more than cover a service with a specialist and I think is a fair discount to offer on such a lovely watch.

February 14, 2017 at 9:48 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.