Seiko 7A38 - by the numbers

Subtitle

Forums

Forum Home > eBay, LeBonCoin, Mercado Libre, Yahoo Japan, etc. > The 7A28-7120 RAF Gen 1 PriceWatch thread

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Seiko7A38 at July 1, 2018 at 10:53 AM

This 7A28-7120 RAF Gen. 1 'head only' was listed earlier this afternoon, by a UK eBay seller, as a 5-day auction, with a sensible opening bid price of £400.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/302790162141

The above quoted 5-day UK eBay auction for a 7A28-7120 RAF Gen. 1 'head only' ended a few minutes ago, selling for £540 after 10 bids.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/302790162141

July 6, 2018 at 9:21 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Another 7A28-7120 RAF Gen. 1, listed by a UK eBay seller, popped up in my saved search notifications early this morning. Not sure why it's only just appeared on my radar, because it was supposedly a 10-day auction - but now one with only 7½ days left to run. Looks like the seller completely edited it just before Midnight last night. :/ Nobody else can have seen it before either, because the first bid was only placed @ 6:30am this morning. Hence the reason bidding is still at only £5.50 (up from the £0.01 opening bid) after 2½ days. :roll:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/273347000505

Vintage Seiko RAF Gen 1 7A28-7120, Military Issue 1984, Quartz Chrono, Working

For sale is this Seiko RAF Gen 1 chronograph on a new canvas strap. This is a very early watch dating from 1984, and these were issued to the RAF from October 84, so this is incredibly rare and in such good condition too. It is quite common to find the later ones, but 1984 versions are very rare. Very sad to let this one go, but needs must.

Seiko stamped a “circle P” on the dial, indicating that Promethium – a mildly radioactive man-made element – was used to illuminate portions of the dial and hands. On the caseback are stamped the NATO stock numbers, as well as the watch’s individual issue number and year of issue. The broadarrow symbol indicates that the watch was property of the Crown and did not belong to an individual soldier or sailor.

Like all Seiko 7A28 models, the Gen 1 has a well-designed, functional chronograph with the stopwatch indicators arranged efficiently around the dial. The 3:00 o’clock register measures 1/10thsof a second, while the large center hand ticks incremental seconds. The 9:00 o’clock register records chronograph minutes up to 30. Time is displayed with standard center hour and minute hands and a continuous seconds hand in the bottom register.

Overall in excellent condition for an actual watch used in the RAF, a few light marks but nothing that can easily be seen with the naked eye. The most isible marks are the rubbing on the caseback (very common, as these come with fixed lugs and nato straps) - it has spent the last few years with a caseback sticker to prevent further rubbing. I've worn it on occasion, but not very frequently and it has been incredibly well looked after in my purview. The original mineral crystal has a scratch near the 3pm, but as it was original I didnt have the heart to get an aftermarket crystal on it for £20. I prefer the originality rather than polished looks.

Battery and seals replaced approximately 2 years ago, and the watch is usually kept with the crown pulled out to preserve battery, and the hands at 10:10 position as shown in the photos.

Starting the auction at 1p, with no reserve. Best wishes.

July 12, 2018 at 5:23 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Yesterday evening, UK eBay business seller britishmilitarysurplus listed another 7A28-7120 RAF Gen. 1 in what appears to have become his now standard format: 3-day auction listing with a £400 opening bid price and 'pie-in-the-sky' Buy-it-Now option price of £1000. The almost inevitable outcome predicitable as always ....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/273353352216

British Military Surplus

SEIKO Generation 1 - Pilot Watch

Genuine Issue Military Watch

Issued in 1990- The Watch is NOT currently Running - due to its age it will need a service

Good condition Seiko Royal Navy Helicopter Pilot’s watch.

Some marks to the case from normal military use.

The watch was originally issued in 1984 and due to being a military issue, has usual marks on it as one would expect. It is a very desirable and highly collectible watch due to the fact that it is a practical and functional watch and the choice of the British Armed Forces for use with the helicopter pilots.

Another thing adding to the collectability is the rarity of the watch, there were issued in no doubt in many numbers but not many survived life outside the armed forces where servicemen were required to give watches back once retired from the forces, on some occasions they could buy them if they wanted to keep them but not many servicemen took up this option. Genuine military issue item for the UK armed forces.

It is made in Japan with Japanese made quartz movement. It has a sandblasted all stainless steel case with fixed bars for operational security reasons. The dial is mat black with subsidiary seconds at the 6 position, the thirty minute elapsed timer at 9 and the 1/10th second elapsed timer at the 3 position. When the chronograph is activated, the 10th second timer moves straight into action in a very fast rotation. The inner bezel has sixty second markings, and the chronograph sixty second recorder is the sweep hand. . Width is 38 mm excluding crown and 40 mm including crown and pushers. Lug to lug is 43 mm and thickness is 9 mm.

The Watch is Sold with No Warranty and No Guarantee

The Watch is Sold as Untested

July 15, 2018 at 12:03 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

The above 3-day auction for a 7A28-7120 RAF Gen. 1, by regular UK eBay business seller britishmilitarysurplus ended a few moments ago, selling for £471.01 after 3 bids - all of which were sniped in the last 10 seconds.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/273353352216

July 17, 2018 at 2:26 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Well it may have got off to a delayed start, but that 10, sorry 7½-day eBay auction for a 7A28-7120 RAF Gen. 1 by UK seller code-bk201 certainly made up for it in the last few days. The auction ended an hour ago, with it selling for £868 after 46 bids, rather better than some other recent eBay auction selling prices. Now I could be sarcastic here and say: it's surprising what a difference the random placement of a completely irrelevant plastic model Spitfire in the primary image can make .....

But as it was the RAF's 100th Anniversary celebrations (and Flypast on 10th July), I suspect the seller knew exactly what he was doing.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/273347000505

July 19, 2018 at 2:55 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Another not very rare 7A28-7120 RAF Gen. 1 was listed yesterday evening, by a UK eBay seller as a 7-day auction, with an opening bid price of £99. Apparently these are quite sort after, too. Duh

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/132710687568

Seiko RAF Gen 1 7A28-7120, Military Issue 1988 Quartz Chrono

Hi, here I have for auction is this very rare and sort after Seiko RAF Gen 1 chronograph on a new canvas strap, dating from 1988 these were first issued to the RAF in 1984.

Seiko stamped a “circle P” on the dial, indicating that Promethium – a mildly radioactive man-made element – was used to illuminate portions of the dial and hands. The case back is stamped with the NATO stock numbers, as well as the watch’s individual issue number and year of issue. The broad arrow (Crow’s foot) symbol indicates that the watch was property of the Crown.

This Seiko Gen 1 7A28 model keeps very good time, the chronograph functions all work well with stopwatch indicators arranged efficiently around the dial. The 3:00 o’clock register measures 1/10thsof a second, while the large centre hand ticks incremental seconds. The 9:00 o’clock register records chronograph minutes up to 30. Time is displayed with standard centre hour and minute hands and a continuous seconds hand in the bottom register.

Overall the watch in excellent condition with a few very light marks as you would expect for its age but nothing that can easily be seen with the naked eye, the mineral crystal is also in very good condition, new battery has been fitted and comes with two new NATO straps.

Happy to answer any questions the best I can and please not time wasters.

I have uploaded a video showing the various chrono functions working here

Will only accept payment by PayPal or cash on collection.

I start the bidding low to give everyone the opportunity to own this lovely rare chronograph, good luck & Happy Bidding.

July 20, 2018 at 12:36 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.