Seiko 7A38 - by the numbers

Subtitle

Forums

Forum Home > eBay, LeBonCoin, Mercado Libre, Yahoo Japan, etc. > A RARE 7A28 variant or another deceptively described Franken ?

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

This was listed overnight by an Australian eBay seller i-n-x-s, who I have previously seen offering what I'd call 'misrepresented' 7Axx's.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/130964808663 

It Is With Great Relunctance, That I Offer My Rare Seiko 7A28 It Is Keeping Time and the Chrono Feature Works. Work Great. This Blend of Silver and Gold Highlights Work Beautifully and do This rare Seiko Justice: Huge Metal 7A28 Movement (Takes Up the Entire Cavity Of This Watch!!). Seiko Stainless Steel Strap is Correct for this Model, has all of its links. This Has The Very Very Rare Lug Style Case, So If You Choose To Swap The SS Strap Over To A Leather Strap, It Will Still Look A Treat. It has Minimal wear to case, strap and glass, Please look at the pics and judge the conditon for yourself & if you need more pics, please email me your email address.I don't want disappointments, so, Please ask all your questions before your bid This Will look great under Your Retro/Grungy Summer Clothing ....

Note he points out that the (p/n G1032C) two-tone bracelet is correct for this model, which according to the case-back stampings it is:

But is careful to state nothing else about the authenticity of the watch in his description.

Would anybody else like to proffer an opinion ? 

August 10, 2013 at 2:07 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Need a hint ? :|

Check out: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-SEIKO-7A28-7020-/271255600739 listed by another Australian seller not long after.

The description on that one read simply: Very rare example of a Seiko 7A28-7020 with original papers in excellent condition.

Here's a better photo of what you'd normally expect a two-tone 7A28-7020 to look like, courtesey of Fabio (FMC000):

August 10, 2013 at 2:22 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Please ask all your questions before your bid.

So, tongue firmly planted in cheek, I asked the eBay seller a question. :P

Can you categorically state that this is a completely original genuine 7A28-7020 model, as produced by Seiko ?

He replied: Yes, its all original and will gladly have my watchmaker open the caseback so you can see the 15 jewel huge SS movement.

August 12, 2013 at 11:01 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

More smoke and mirrors followed. Well if no-one else is prepared to stick their neck out and say so, then I'll say I think it's a Franken. 

The problem we face, in condemning it as such, is knowing that some 7A28 product data is missing from Seiko Oceania's database.

All that is listed for cal. / case 7A28-7020 are the SPR007J (stainless / white dial) and SPR010J (two-tone / black-ish dial) variants.

This watch has the gold 702L dial (and Tachymeter ring) normally found in the common-or-garden gold-tone 7A28-7029 SPR014.

The watch from Seiko's World's First Analog Quartz Chronograph advert:

One that sold recently: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Seiko-SPR014-Chronograph-Watch-Gold-7A28-7029-Vintage-NOS-/290933791030

August 14, 2013 at 9:39 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

The eBay auction for that rare 7A28-7020 Franken (Oops, the 'F word' slipped out again  ) ended yesterday evening.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/130964808663

It had been bid to $305 (approx £195.35) a couple of days earlier.

I suspect the other bidder s***s (5) may have been a shill, because they too only bid on this item. 

http://offer.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&_trksid=p2047675.l2565&rt=nc&item=130964808663

Then there was that sentence the seller included in one of his later messages: looks like its new owner will be in the USA!! 

Of course, there's a chance I may be completely wrong in condemning this watch as a Franken. Perhaps some fortunate buyer has indeed snagged himself a nice example of a rare, previously unseen, undocumented version of the 7A28-7020. But then again ....

August 17, 2013 at 3:30 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Sir Alan

Reading this thread reminded me that I'd bought a 7A28-7020 a while back, which when it arrived appeared to be in pretty good conditiion (though listed as with issues).

I dug it out of the "things to do next" boxes and could see that a) it needed a new crystal and b) there was both evidence of a problem and more importantly the 2pm pusher was non functional.

The dial batons show evidence of moisture (or battery acid) corrosion as do the hands - annoying because the gold shows this off worse.

Well, I've not been inside a 7Axx movement for a while but it all came back to me in a flash as I un-screwed the 7 back-plate screws.

Inside I found what I was expecting - a badly rusted 2pm pusher clip (with the 4pm also showing signs of rust) but the rest of the movement looked pristine, as did the PCB, so no battery damage.

It was an easy job to replace the pusher clip, along with a a new (Sternkreuz) crystal and a new rear gasket.

And here it is:

August 18, 2013 at 1:35 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Nice little addition to the thread, Simon. ;)

Yes, that's what I'd expect a two-tone 7A28-7020 to look like. :)

Still not prepared to opine on the eBay gold dialed version, subject of this thread, then ? :|

BTW, there supposedly exists a 7A38 equivalent version of your watch: 7A38-706A SAA034J. At least, according to Seiko's database.

But I've never seen one yet. :/

August 18, 2013 at 3:17 PM Flag Quote & Reply

ginny

Hi everyone, have been looking around this site for a few months now, and must congratulate all on a great site. A wealth of information for a novice like myself. Have started to collect the 7a range as a newly found interest, and have tried to acquire better examples as my knowledge is very limited in relation to repair. Have read with interest this post Rare 7a28 Variant or Franken. The 7a28-7020 offered by Australian seller paulc829 item 271255600739 is now happily keeping my other newly aquired 7a's company. Being a Melbourne Australia resident, I DONT believe the new owner of the gold tone 7a offered by seller i.n.x.s has snagged himself a nice rare example!!!!!!!!! Hope this helps your suspicions....ginny.

August 20, 2013 at 1:17 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Thanks for getting off the fence and saying so. Glad it wasn't you that bought it too ! That's always a danger of criticising such a watch (condemning one as a franken), the proud new owner might just join the forum and the first thing he does is read about his mistake. :(

Difficult to prove either way really, knowing there are gaps in Seiko Oz's database. Even with your pukka SPR010 version there's only what I'd call the header line - with very little parts information other than the crystal and bracelet.

Of course, if other similar examples suddenly start turning up, I'll gladly print a retraction. ;)

August 20, 2013 at 3:50 AM Flag Quote & Reply

ginny

i.n.x.s lives in Melbourne too, but I will let you put 2 and 2 together.

August 20, 2013 at 4:50 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Thanks for the explanation (by PM), Stuart. ;) I wouldn't have figured that out myself from your cryptic post above. :roll:

Now that you own a 7A28-7020 SPR010J and a 7A28-7029 SPR014J, you can see how easy this would have been to cobble together.

Whether i-n-x-s deliberately nailed this Franken together, with the intention of making a fast buck (based on the alleged 'rarity' factor), or out of necessity - possibly due to battery acid damage to the original 7A28-7020's dial / movement, only he will know.

One thing's for sure, this is B/S: It Is With Great Relunctance, That I Offer My Rare Seiko 7A28 .... 

August 27, 2013 at 4:43 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

I never see the point in starting a new thread when we've already got one with an appropriate topic title. This one is a perfect fit, although the questionable watch in question, also based on the Seiko 7A28-702x, is rather less subtle than the previous.

I spotted this allegedly rare 7A28-7020 deceptively listed (for 10 days) by a German eBay seller a couple of days ago.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262775291085

I haven't bothered uploading a screen print of the the second part of the seller's description, because it's totally irrelevant bnllsh!t (about the stainless white faced 7A28-7020 SPR007J), to which (other than the case and bracelet design), this aberration bears absolutely no relation. I've also only uploaded the first of his photos. There are actually 10 more, but none gives a clear shot of the case-back stampings. Though in the absence of that, it's not difficult to identify the component parts of this complete and utter Franken from the first photo.

The watch case and p/n Z1036G bracelet are from a gold-tone 7A28-7020 (or 7A28-7029). It has to be said that their gold plating is in rather better condition than many used examples. The black 702LXB1L dial / hands and presumably also movement are from a stainless 7A28-702A. What's slightly unusual that instead of using the matching black Tachymeter ring from that watch, this Franken uses the blue-grey Tachymeter ring from a 7A38-706A. You've really got to ask yourself why someone went to the trouble. :/

December 27, 2016 at 10:59 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.