Seiko 7A38 - by the numbers

Subtitle

Forums

Forum Home > Non-Seiko 7Axx Discussion Area (Re-branded mvmt's) > Aragatz - Anniversaire 25 Ans - a celebration of Spationautes - Mis a jour: 30 Ans !

PHK

Oh look…I’ve got a wrist shot…oops it’s not my watch :lol:

It was only a little ‘Road Trip’ to pick it up, and I’ll use any excuse to go Motoring!

(shame about that watchband)

--

Paul in Vegas.  8)

November 26, 2018 at 10:03 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Jerry

Happy anniversary from Paris, Aragatz ! 

--

R.C alias Jerry - www.leclubyema.com

November 27, 2018 at 5:59 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Thanks for the little plug over on your Le Club Yema FB page, Raphael.

Currently seems to be a lot of undue excitement over there, about something they're calling bleu. To my eyes, it's not even the proper shade of French bleu. 

Messiuers. Je vous présente le vrai Grande Blue:P

Late production example, 5-xxx prefix serial number, narrow polished hands, Y-logo minimal printing dial (no PARIS nor QUARTZ) on très bleu Fleurus shark strap.

November 28, 2018 at 8:58 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

That was actually yesterday's wrist shot. I was just waiting for Raphael to post. ;)

Today, Yema Spationaute III Aragatz 'vin ordinaire'. 

First year production, early 1 xxx prefix serial number, shallow bezel engraving, silver painted hands, Y-logo dial, with the full complement of printing, on original Yema plain dark blue ribbed leather strap. This particular watch (I have a couple of examples of this version) has the dubious distinction of being the most expensive Yema Spationaute III in my collection. It's in nice little worn condition, but nothing special. Blame it on eBay and the 'red mist' - 'must win at all costs' mentality. I've paid far less for some of my NOS examples. :roll:

November 28, 2018 at 9:00 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Indeed, here's one of those rather cheaper NOS Yema Spationaute III's that were once a regular feature on eBay, a few years ago. :) From the basement stash of the original US Yema importer, Watchfactory.com (selling on eBay as izeldor).

Second year production; low 2 xxx prefix serial number, Y-logo full text dial, polished stainless hands, on the alternate navy blue Yema shark strap.

November 29, 2018 at 5:31 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Afternoon swap to another NOS Yema Spationaute III Aragatz. I'm fortunate that my sizeable collection includes half a dozen or so NOS examples (which came with boxes and tags) and a couple more which didn't. This one's subtly different from that in this morning's wrist shot. Something's missing.

Late 5th year production; high 5-xxx prefix serial number, Y-logo dial, but without the word QUARTZ. The other difference which you can't see in this photo, is the Yema navy blue Shark strap is fitted with the Yema wire loop buckle.

November 29, 2018 at 8:52 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Another NOS Yema  Spationaute III Aragatz gets a brief outing this morning. 

Once again, it's the early production 'vin ordinaire' version, but this watch isn't quite how I received it. This was actually the very first NOS example that came in to my possession. It was listed as a Buy-it-Now on eBay Italy back in June 2010, for what IIRC, was a very reasonable 145 Euros. It came with a sales tag, but no box.

Something I've noticed is that the 'lume' paint on bezels, hands (and dial batons) can age differently. As you can see in the photo above, the bezel inlays were badly yellowed. This bugged me for a couple of years, until I bought another watch with very yellow dial batons. I swapped this watch's original bezel over with that watch, which became 'Ole Yeller'. So now this one's 'Aw Wight'. 8)

November 30, 2018 at 6:45 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Afternoon switch - to more of the same: yet another NOS Yema Spationaute III Aragatz 'vin ordinaire'. Well almost NOS and the same early production version. But apart from the glaringly obvious non-original strap fitted, this one also has an amusing back story. As Paul (PHK) wrote in response to my post: Oh so film noir...

This one also turned up in Italy, not on eBay, but on the free classifieds website, Kijiji.it in mid-December 2014. The logistics involved in acquiring it (for the very reasonable price of 150 Euros) were quite complex and involved. As I wrote on Page 13 of the 'Spotted' thread, in early January 2015:

The watch was picked up on my behalf @ 10:00am this morning in a face-to-face cash transaction, at Naples central railway station, by the wife of a work colleague. Here's a couple of Q&D camera phone pics she took this morning.

It came fitted with a blue and black REWA 'Rally' strap, but also supplied with the original dark blue Yema leather strap. At one point, I did consider refitting it, but later decided to keep it on the REWA strap - just to make it a little different from the others - and more memorable. Note the shallow bezel engraving, as found on much of the early production. This watch has a low 1 xxx serial number. Indeed, it's 1 112, which off the top of my head, makes it the earliest example in my collection.

November 30, 2018 at 9:26 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Wearing another Yema Spationaute III Aragatz 'Cadran Drapeux' this afternoon. :) Bit of a close up 'warts and all' wrist shot. :/

Not the best of examples, this one is currently fitted with a generic mineral glass crystal, in place of the original (scratched) Hesalite. The strap is a 'cheapie' ZRC 'Faux Requin' shark grain. The main reason I bought this one, was for the C.G.H. instruction / specification sheets that came with it, including that explanatory P.S.

Full 'clarification' story in this thread. This particular example is # 066.

December 1, 2018 at 9:02 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Another Yema Spationaute III Aragatz 'Cadran Drapeaux' this afternoon. 

This one's fitted with a dark navy blue Fleurus shark strap. Please excuse the odd bit of lint and errant hair in the photo. I had to very quickly grab this shot before it started raining again (as it seems to have been for most of this week). :roll: 

December 2, 2018 at 9:00 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

I've made a little faux pas. Saw a gap in the atrocious weather we've been having lately (it's still raining and blowing a gale outside), grabbed a Spationaute III by the end of it's shark strap, intending to take my daily wrist shot, to keep this thread going - and found it had shrunk in the rain ! :lol:

This is of course a 38mm 'reduced' Spationaute III, Yema model # N80A66, as opposed to the full-sized 43mm diameter N80P76. This one has the 'minimal printing' dial and is fitted with a 20mm dark navy blue Fleurus shark strap.

December 3, 2018 at 9:00 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Trying on yet another NOS Yema Spationaute III Aragatz this afternoon.

This is a second one on the dark navy shark strap, I bought from US eBay seller izeldor's basement stash. Simply couldn't resist the bargain price at the time. It's virtually identical to my other one, but I fitted a Yema wire loop buckle to the strap, so I could tell them apart. Mid second year production, etc. ....

December 4, 2018 at 8:52 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

This was actually meant to be yesterday's wrist shot, but the weather conspired against me. I did manage to grab a couple of distinctly under par shots between the showers, but the light was poor, they looked grainy and I discarded them.

So better late than never ....

Another almost NOS Yema Spationaute III Aragatz (re-taken this morning).

I'm pretty sure this is the last of them. :P I know it's certainly  the last NOS example that I bought - in June of this year, from US eBay seller watchaddict412. Like most of the Yema N8's he sold, this one would probably have been more honestly described as 'shop-soiled' rather than 'NOS'. This example is distinguishable (to me) by a tiny scratch on the crystal. It bugged the hell out of me at the time.

December 6, 2018 at 6:09 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

I wouldn't want to give readers the wrong impression - that all my Spationaute III's are nearly mint / NOS safe queens, that never get worn, apart from being dragged out, once in a blue moon, for the occasional wrist shot. Most are. :P But a couple do get worn regularly, including this particularly rough 'beater' which is part of my 'daily wearer' rotation. I've deliberately left it unrestored, with the original badly scratched crystal, scuffed and dinged bezel, so I can wear it with impunity. ;)

It's another 'minimal printing' dial version, which I picked up relatively cheaply off eBay France, back in May 2015. It had a couple of very minor mechanical issues (bent setting lever, etc.). It came as a 'head only', so for want of anything else, I fitted the Graf navy blue shark strap, that I'd originally used on 'Grande Bleu', later removed and replaced with the much deeper blue Fleurus. Don't look too closely - it's a bit grubby. Needs a good clean. Visible traces of DNA evidence. 

December 6, 2018 at 8:52 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Despite having tweaked 'Ole Yeller' to enhance the overall effect, I'm not a big fan of the Yema Spationaute III's with yellow or aged yellowed lumed dial batons. I've never actually seen one where the dial 'lume' glows even faintly (if at all). :roll: I've got a couple of them; this is probably the better example of the two, despite the small scratch on the crystal. Weirdly, this one's original hand lume glows quite strongly after very brief exposure to daylight. :/

It's a very late production 6-xxx prefix serial number, with the interim dial without QUARTZ. It's fitted with a blue ZRC Veau Nautic 'double jonc' strap and a Yema wire loop buckle. (I copied the idea from one such I saw on eBay a few years ago).

December 7, 2018 at 6:57 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Here's the other one:

Pretty much identical spec', except this one's original crystal was badly scuffed, so I replaced it with a generic domed mineral glass. The strap is the same ZRC Veau Nautic, fitted with a Yema wire loop buckle, just a darker navy blue colour.

December 7, 2018 at 8:51 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Posting those two wrist shots of Yema Spationaute III's with aged yellow dial lume reminded me that I still had this in my 'leftover bits box'. Probably the worst example of aged dial lume I've ever seen. :(

It was the original dial in what was effectively my first Yema Spationaute III - a basket case resto' project I bought on eBay France in November 2009:

I subsequently used it as the basis to build my 'bitza' with the 'Mission Flags' dial.

December 8, 2018 at 5:40 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.