Seiko 7A38 - by the numbers

Subtitle

Forums

Forum Home > Non-Seiko 7Axx Discussion Area (Re-branded mvmt's) > Yema (C.G.H.) N7's and N8's rebranded as 'Fashion Watches'

lam

I have the next one bookmarked ;) Very curious to see. Good find!!

--

Slowly becoming Seiko Enthusiast.. Learning..

February 16, 2014 at 11:11 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Well done, Dave ! :)

By the way, I've noticed that losing bidder i***t (157) bidding on most of these YSL N7's. (Bid activity with this seller, neverstrong: 79%).

Wonder if he's a shill bidder ? :/

February 19, 2014 at 11:03 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

donwatch at February 16, 2014 at 12:39 PM

OK Paul, I will will be looking into my YSL, checking for any leakage.  I'm in Portland and see that YSL has arrived at my home. I'll get to it Tuesday next week.

So how was yours, Don ? Any problems with it ? :|

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Belated Edit:

Although Don studiously ignored my question for a fortnight, until he finally decided to dismantle his YSL N7 (see below) ....
In the interim, there were a series of posts made on pages 34 and 35 of the WRUW thread which possibly have more relevance here.
So follows a copy and paste of most of them:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A little buffing and some weight reduction--I can live with this YSL :)

(Posted by Donwatch on February 23, 2014 at 1:32 AM)

Fantastic last few watches.. I myself just got one of these YSL, I kinda like it! Clean.

(Posted by Lam on February 25, 2014 at 4:58 PM)

@ lam   black band goes well :D

(Posted by Donwatch on February 25, 2014 at 11:49 PM)

White shirt, had to go with white YSL :)

(Posted by Lam on February 28, 2014 at 6:49 PM)

:) AND it's NOS :)

NOT nos anymore-- :P

(Posted by Donwatch on February 28, 2014 at 7:50 PM)

YSL's----->   Caution------contrary what it says on the back "stainless steel' the head is not stainless steel----It is brass color base metal---I guess someone had to find out-> :roll:

(Posted by Donwatch on February 28, 2014 at 8:14 PM) 

@ Don: Ah! I see you swapped out the hands, and yes I copied your black strap idea. It looks much better IMO! How did you find out? buff all the way through?

(Posted by Lam on February 28, 2014 at 8:46 PM)

@ lam--The hands just show up black on certain angles of reflection of the light----not swapped---THE plating is very thin-I buffed right through on the sharp edges---now it has a vintage look :/  -----I may use the mvt in a 7A28-7039 I'm building.

(Posted by Donwatch on February 28, 2014 at 9:27 PM)

February 19, 2014 at 11:05 AM Flag Quote & Reply

donwatch

I did the dirty deed. Used the YSL for my  Seiko 7A28-7039 that needed a donor movt.----I was lucky and paid only $73.00 for the YSL.

I did have to re-lume the hour hand.  I'm happy with the result. :D  I only had to put on and then remove the hands twice because when I went to put in the stem the shipping gear was out of place so off with hands and dial -repositioned the gear and then everything back together--Still need adj of the minute counter---"Leave well enough alone " for now---> P.S.  while I had the 7039 apart I installed a new crystal with 1.8mm height-- Just a tad higher than stock. :/

March 4, 2014 at 2:09 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Post Moved

Originally posted March 9, 2014 at 10:44 PM by Rob Benham in the WRUW thread.

Mmm . . . got me thinking.

I've just purchased an Yves Saint Laurent 7A28.  I have no idea what it looks like yet.  I wonder if the lens is glued.

March 10, 2014 at 3:50 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Post Moved

Originally posted on March 9, 2014 at 11:28 PM by Donwatch in the WRUW thread.

Rob, it's semi-clear tension ring holding a domed crystal if your :P YSL is coming from HK.

March 10, 2014 at 3:54 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Post Moved

Originally posted on March 10, 2014 at 4:38 AM by Rob Benham in the WRUW thread.

No, it's American owned.  The guy sold me a 7A38-7289, and then another one, before selling me the YSL.

I'm beta testing the first one at this time.  The others are heading my way and based on his word. 

This one's fuctionallity is okay.  It would take a lot to make it 'Fine', but it's not beyond the realms . . . I might just be tempted to try cutting the SS surface again, having figured out how to go over the ends without going over the edges.  As I've said, keeping it dead straight is an imperative.  I'll blog on that in an appropriate thread - if I pluck up courage to do another.

I'd wondered if re-cutting that wear line in the crown, and re-polishing the contour, would be okay.  The metal doesn't seem to be any better than the most basic base metal, but it would be a thin circle and highly polished.  I've polished steel (with jeweler's rouge) on the knobs on my Myford lathe in the past and it lasted years.  Something about a chrome-smooth shine that keeps the rust at bay.

That line in the band is real, and there's another one even worse.  An odd failure and one I haven't seen before. 

March 10, 2014 at 4:06 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

O.K., where are we with these possibly-less-than-covetable little YSL branded Yema N7's ? :/

The first one I discovered, bought by Russian forum member Igor ('Insighter') that he subsequently offered for sale on his home forum

has since been reduced from his original 4500 Roubles (approx. $123) down to 3450 Roubles (approx. $94) and still remains unsold.

Don decided to give his a light buffing, right through to the base metal underneath, fitted a leather strap ....

but then subsequently 'did the dirty deed' and broke it up to use as a movement donor for his 7A28-7039.

Dave also fitted a leather strap to his, seemed to like it at first, but then sold it to Rob who reckoned he'd never seen one before.

Quote: 'I've just purchased an Yves Saint Laurent 7A28. I have no idea what it looks like yet.'  I wonder why I bother sometimes. :roll:

Mine ? :| Well you may remember I wasn't entirely happy with mine; I wrote on the previous page:

So, pending the outcome of a strongly worded email to Neverstrong that I'll be penning this evening ....

Come the weekend, this little watch will either be winging it's way back to Hong Kong for a full refund ....

Or headed for the Members Trading Area. Anybody looking for a not so cheap 7A28 movement donor ? 

Well, after my attempt at negotiation resulted in an impasse, my unloved example is finally winging it's way back to Hong Kong. :(

Apart from the discovery of a prior battery leakage there were a couple of other niggling issues with it, I hadn't mentioned before. 

There was a tiny scratch on the bezel rim next to '55' on the minute scale. Difficult to photograph, but it caught the light all the time:

There was also an intermittent problem with the chronograph sweep second hand, which was sometimes, but not always, reluctant to move off its mark - correspondingly didn't reset to zero. An annoying problem that seems to afflict 7A28's more often than 7A38's.

After a few cycles, it seemed it was O.K. for a while, but then I'd pick up the watch a couple of days later and it would do it again. :mad:

So those were a couple more reasons that I couldn't offer it via the Members Trading Area (not with a clear conscience, anyway).

However, I suspect in all probability when it arrives back in Hong Kong, neverstrong will turn round and stick it straight back on eBay.

If you've checked his previous listings (including the most recent which ended yesterday, selling for only $75), you'll see he always uses the exact same set photos - showing a case-back serial number of 609115. That isn't necessarily the watch you'll get obviously.

This one is s/n 609112 - three numbers up from 609115 (the same watch which Neverstrong have used in all their listings).

So a warning to future prospective purchasers. If you buy one and receive serial number 609112 - I'd send it straight back ! 

March 14, 2014 at 1:52 PM Flag Quote & Reply

donwatch

Paul, I was lucky with my YSL donor mvt--it starts, stops and resets every time and always has -- even after I removed the hands twice. :P

March 14, 2014 at 3:39 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

donwatch at February 10, 2014 at 11:51 AM

Thanks Paul, out of 10 only one was sold for a lower price and one for the same $71---We will see  ! :)

Here's the lowest price I've seen one of these YSL Yema N7's go for so far - $61.00 (£37) - auction ended nearly an hour ago.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201056250075

Previous lowest price had been $61.50 at the beginning of January.

March 25, 2014 at 1:11 PM Flag Quote & Reply

donwatch

Not bad for a NOS Seiko 7A28 movement  :)

March 25, 2014 at 1:23 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

The irony of that one selling so cheaply is: I finally got my money back from neverstrong today, but only after I escalated the case. :roll:

March 25, 2014 at 5:55 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Looks like they've reached the baseline. Another auction for one has just ended @ $61 ! :lol:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201061915686

April 3, 2014 at 12:31 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Or perhaps, NOT ! :/

The most recent eBay auction for one of these YSL Yema N7's ended yesterday - Friday 13th. It sold for a mere $51 after 18 bids:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281355386758

Unlucky for Hong Kong eBay seller neverstrong:lol:

June 14, 2014 at 2:12 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Seiko7A38 at February 19, 2014 at 11:03 AM

Well done, Dave ! :)

By the way, I've noticed that losing bidder i***t (157) bidding on most of these YSL N7's. (Bid activity with this seller, neverstrong: 79%).

Wonder if he's a shill bidder ? :/

Funnily enough, guess who the winning bidder was ? :o

June 14, 2014 at 2:16 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Nearly forgot to mention (FWIW) ....

Another new all-time low selling price for one of neverstrong's YSL Yema N7's yesterday - but  only by 78 cents:lol:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281372474777

July 4, 2014 at 6:23 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

.... and another new lowest final selling price for one of neverstrong's YSL Yema N7's:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201122218101

July 10, 2014 at 12:41 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Neverstrong's most recent eBay auction for a YSL Yema N7, which ended yesterday afternoon, resulted in another all-time low price:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201132456849

Only $42 this time - less than 25 Quid ! :o

July 28, 2014 at 5:31 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Hong Kong based eBay seller neverstrong continues to knock out these NOS YSL Yema N7's like they're going out of fashion. :P

Most of the recent auctions have sold at prices between $50 and $75 and I must admit I'd lost interest and stopped following them.

Just by chance I happened to click on his current listing:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121428904033

Notice anything ? :| Like the time shown on the watch - 7:30

In all his dozens of previous listings, going back to last year, he'd re-used the same set of photos, where the watch was showing 9:38.

Looks like he's finally got round to taking a fresh set of photos (not that there was really much wrong with previous set).

It's actually a different watch too - case-back serial number is 609212, compared to the previously used s/n 609115.

September 9, 2014 at 7:43 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Athough these two topics are currently together at the top of this forum section, I'm going to take the opportunity to cross-link them.

Another French fashion branded 7A38 (V906) based watch, produced by C.G.H., for which I started a new separate thread is the ....

FRED Force 10 - another French Fashion Faux Pas, perhaps ?

This image appeared in an 11-page article on watches in L'officiel Hommes (a French men's fashion magazine) issue Nº 75 of 1989.

At the time of writing I don't know the model number and the only person I know of who currently owns one is rally driver Ari Vatanen.

More details (hopefully) to follow in that other thread, in due course. Meantime, I just needed 'a filler' to change over to a new page. ;)

September 9, 2014 at 5:58 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.