Seiko 7A38 - by the numbers

Subtitle

Forums

Forum Home > Parts Info, Tech Tips and Tinkering > Case Back removing tool - just one of today's trials (Topic Moved).

Rob Benham

It looked good in the supplier's pictures, and I paid a couple of $$ more for a wooden box.  When it arrived I realized why it had only cost $17.

It is terrible.  A mass of clunky parts and the tips are so ill-defined I went right back to my home-made crowbar for the job I was on.  When I put one of the tips in, the sizable circlip, 8mm diameter and some 6mm in height, snapped - half of it nearly hitting me in the eye.  I am not amused. 

Gentlemen, can you advise me if on the 'proper' ones, one has to adjust the width of the top two pins first and then turn the handle to bring up the third pin?  I reaize how tricky it would be to do all three together, but I had no idea how tedious this system is.

February 23, 2014 at 1:42 AM Flag Quote & Reply

donwatch

Rob, get an old vice grip and clamp a needle nose pliers tight then adjust to fit the case back slots---Lots of grip--I have used this for years  8)

February 23, 2014 at 2:36 AM Flag Quote & Reply

donwatch

Like this--You may have these in your tool box..May need to dress up ,square up the sides.. :P These are NOT proper ones-They just work

February 23, 2014 at 2:54 AM Flag Quote & Reply

GeorgeClarkson

omg!

Please don't do that to your watch! Rob, if you want quality watchmaker's tools, may I suggest Bergeon? They are expensive, ok, but worth it. If not, seek something that at least looks similar in quality, but cheaper, which excludes automatically all china made tools..

--

My personal Blog: www.onlyvintagewatches.com/blog

February 23, 2014 at 5:07 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Don's photo reminded me of this YouTube video I'd included in this thread (deliberately hidden) in the Members Lounge section. :lol:

http://www.seiko7a38.com/apps/forums/topics/show/8041848 How NOT to change the battery in your watch or anybody else's

.... though his method is patently technically superior. ;)

February 23, 2014 at 6:00 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Perhaps Rob you could post a link to the eBay item you purchased.

These Jaxa copy case-back openers do vary in quality, particularly the thickness of the two plates that form the body of the tool.

The 'Anchor brand' (made in India), which can come in a wooden box, are far superior to the Chinese made copies.

That's what I've been using for the last 5 years - without a problem. 8)

February 23, 2014 at 6:20 AM Flag Quote & Reply

donwatch

This works also !

February 23, 2014 at 10:43 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Museum piece !! :lol:

February 23, 2014 at 11:11 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Rob Benham

"These Jaxa copy case-back openers do vary in quality . . . "

So I've learned with other kit.  It would be difficult to tell the difference between the tools, though the box has several differences and has a plain cardboard sleeve.   Ah, HA!   While looking for this:

http://www.esslinger.com/watchopenerwaterproofwatchcasewrenchwwoodcase.aspx

I see I was invoiced for the same part number as the picture above, but received something similar but not the same.  My box only has two magnetic inserts.  More fuel for my attack.  Esslinger has been good up till now, (apart from NO free shipping over a certain amount.)  but this is not only a bad product, but was packed by someone with no imagination.  A small flimsy plastic box of crystals was shipped in the same box, with the wooden case being able to shake from one end of the cardboard box to the other.  I've told them I was not impressed.

I imagine the Indian ones might have that edge over the Chinese ones - having left an arsenal of tools in the UK, I've had to repeat masses of stuff to work on my home here in Texas.  I've saved money by buying from an importer of cheap tools, but sometimes it has driven me to want to borrow Paul's brick wall to bang my head on.  A MASSIVE vice in the garage has teeth filed by a schoolboy, and they don't come together by half a mm at one side.

I think what I'll do when I get home is to use my pal's machine shop and make dedicated tools for each type of watch.  Something on the style of:

. . . but with 3 steel teeth through holes and then spot-welded.  This MKI 30mins build is astonishingly good, given I hold the watch on a bench with steel pins stuck in it. ( The bench, not the watch ;) ) - however, adjusting it is very time consuming.  If I can settle into somewhere at home, I'll invest in good tools, but right now I'm trying to devise a way to grind needles to a high degree of accuracy.  I've honed screwdrivers for, gosh, 60 years but I never dreamed how hard it would be to do it in miniature.  No wonder they cost so much.

February 23, 2014 at 3:35 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.