Seiko 7A38 - by the numbers

Subtitle

Forums

Forum Home > Other Watch Forums Sales Corners > 7A38-7120 Titanium FS on TZ-UK

PaulKendal
Just a heads-up that this item has just been put up for sale in the TZ-UK Sales Corner. I won't comment on it at all, as my state of knowledge about all things 7A38 is currently pretty minimal. You will of course need to be an established TZ-UK member to get sight of it.
September 29, 2014 at 3:47 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

You preempted me there, Paul. ;)

In fact, I didn't see the TZ_UK FS thread until much later on Sunday evening and was too tired to write anything by then. The poster, Henk Hoving is actually a member of this forum. Indeed I advised him by email on his purchase of this watch, so I'm a bit disappointed that he chose to post his FS advert on TZ_UK's Sales Corner and not on here. Just shows you where people's loyalties lie, I guess. :/

However what I found so funny (and ironic) is how quickly what appears to be an innocent FS thread turned into a handbag swinging session. In case anyone reading this is unfamiliar with the access requirements for TZ_UK's Sales Corner, here's the header strip:

September 30, 2014 at 5:27 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

For the benefit of those of you who don't have 50 posts up on TZ_UK and can't view it, here's how Henk's FS thread starts off ....

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.php?312084 Seiko titanium chronograph 7A38 incl. box and receipt.

This is the eBay link posted in #2 by 'BigBird': 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Seiko-Titanium-Sports-100-Chronograph-7A38-7120-with-Box-1987-/171415330243

It goes on (12 posts in all so far) .... :roll:

September 30, 2014 at 5:36 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Before she had the scratched crystal replaced, the UK eBay seller first listed this 7A38-7120 with an opening bid of £149.99 in July:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171383682923

At that time, I'll admit I was interested myself, but I couldn't convince myself that this 7A38-7120 was in better condition than my own.

September 30, 2014 at 6:18 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Having scrolled back through our email correspondence and found Henk's message dated 14th August, in which he disclosed (to me) the offer he made the seller, which she accepted, regardless of shipping costs (and anything else he may have had done to the watch) it's abundantly clear that in currently asking £200 for it on TZ_UK Sales Corner, there is shall we say an element of profit built in. ;)

But it's hardly what I'd call 'profiteering'. Just take a few minutes to read some of the other topics in this section and the eBay section ! 

Indeed, TZ_UK's Sales Corner is constantly rife with profiteering - particularly by a certain buyer and reseller of Seiko 7A28's / 7A38's.

I've actually been a member of TZ_UK since January 2010, but don't contribute much. I've still only managed to rack up 243 posts. :/

Perhaps that's just as well - otherwise I might have been tempted to add my two happence worth to Henk's FS thread. :P

September 30, 2014 at 6:25 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Henk Hoving

Hi Paul, hi rest of the gang, Sorry to hear that you're disappointed in that the watch wasn't listed here, I thought most users here were also users on TZ, my bad, sorry about that. For the rest, it's not a profit thing, I'm not making money on this watch, it just covers the cost. I've aquired a second 7A38 shortly after this titanium one and find me wearing that one way more often so this one can go to a new owner. About the thread itself, I do find it annoying that people insinuate that I try to make a few bucks, as I just want to cover my cost. I wouldn't make an effort on a £200 Seiko...

September 30, 2014 at 7:07 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Henk Hoving

Seiko7A38 at September 30, 2014 at 6:25 AM

Having scrolled back through our email correspondence and found Henk's message dated 14th August, in which he disclosed (to me) the offer he made the seller, which she accepted, regardless of shipping costs (and anything else he may have had done to the watch) it's abundantly clear that in currently asking £200 for it on TZ_UK Sales Corner, there is shall we say an element of profit built in. ;)

But it's hardly what I'd call 'profiteering'. Just take a few minutes to read some of the other topics in this section and the eBay section ! 

Indeed, TZ_UK's Sales Corner is constantly rife with profiteering - particularly by a certain buyer and reseller of Seiko 7A28's / 7A38's.

I've actually been a member of TZ_UK since January 2010, but don't contribute much. I've still only managed to rack up 243 posts. :/

Perhaps that's just as well - otherwise I might have been tempted to add my two happence worth to Henk's FS thread. :P

Paul, what on earth are you implying here? What is "an element of profit"? I can assure you I don't need to make a few bucks 'profit' on a watch for a living, if I want to make a profit I'd put it up eBay and call it 'very rare', asking 800...

I've emailed you my offer the seller accepted, 145 IIRC, and that's only the cost for the watch, for the rest you basically know nothing. Add shipping+sending it off to my jeweler, re-adjust the bezel, clean up, installing a fresh (quality) battery and replacing all the seals to get it WR-rated again are not in the 145 offer. But I do like to recoup that investment as well, hence the 200. And why shouldn't I?

It's a darn fine watch, for a more than decent price, try finding a better one out there for sale, makes me wonder what you have "been tempted to add my two happence worth to Henk's FS thread"..., really..., let me know...

September 30, 2014 at 7:50 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Hi, Henk. I wouldn't have PM'd you a link to this thread if I didn't expect you to respond in your own defence. ;)

In reality, I'd hazard a guess that less than 10% of this little forum's membership are also members of TZ_UK. :/

Still I'm sure you're aware of the massive amount of traffic TZ_UK's Sales Corner attracts (compared to our forum's):

Your FS thread has already received 750 views - if only mostly for the wrong reasons. :P

Like I say, it's a pity you didn't choose to offer it on our Members Trading Area (in parallel) - at a price closer to what you actually paid for it. It might have found an enthusiastic new owner sooner (without all the grief you got on TZ_UK).

September 30, 2014 at 7:54 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Henk. Looks like you responded again while I was composing my reply. :roll:

With regard to your:

makes me wonder what you have "been temped to add my two happence worth to Henk's FS thread"..., really..., let me know...

Had I the sufficient post count (7 short) to enable me to respond to that thread, I would have written (not neccessarily in your defence), but something pretty sarcastic about all the other (far worse) profiteering that goes on in TZ_UK's Sales Corner. 

PS - May I suggest you don't dig yourself any deeper hole. ;)

September 30, 2014 at 8:00 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Henk Hoving

You're missing the point Paul..., 200 IS roughly what the watch has cost me... And, I don't NEED the watch to be sold at all, why should I put it up for sale for 145 and 'eat' the rest of the cost then? :roll: And, it's a very good price for a titanium 7A38, as you know, no need for me to tell you that. About the reactions on TZ, I really won't loose any sleep over those, it's only Internet, and if you have checked the Sales Corner before, you've seen far worse postings on there... I know I did.

September 30, 2014 at 8:10 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Henk Hoving

Heck, now I just might put it on eBay, does a 450 opening bid sounds fair? :)

September 30, 2014 at 8:12 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

I'm not missing anything, Henk. ;) Asking £200 versus paying £145 for it a little over a month ago represents a potential  38% profit.

Most of us who trade watches accept the costs of shipping and any remedial work required as part of the hobby - and absorb them.

Indeed, I think there was a thread on that very subject (or at least about the costs incurred by 'serial flippers') on TZ_UK only recently.

PS - Go ahead make my day. :lol:

September 30, 2014 at 8:19 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Henk Hoving

In that we differ I guess, I would never call THAT a profit. And it isn't 'profit' in whatever way you can put it. Sunk cost at best. It's not that I earn a few beers after selling, I just recoup my investment, pretty healthy thing actually, and also the way I like to do this hobby, more or less break even does it for me.

I do accept some of the costs involved with this hobby, sure, like devaluation of a new watch over time, and I would also accept cost to enjoy wearing it, but I don't accept costs made to get it 100% right, and eat 'restoration' -cost myself after owning it for basically only a few weeks, worn it 5x maximum. Why should I do a thing like that? I'm already doing a new owner the favor of getting the work done...

September 30, 2014 at 8:29 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

I'll keep a watching eye on that TZ_UK FS thread for your first 'bump' and price reduction then, Henk. :P

September 30, 2014 at 8:50 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Henk Hoving

LOL, don't hold your breath Paul... :)  It doesn't get any lower than this, as you'll understand...

September 30, 2014 at 9:20 AM Flag Quote & Reply

PaulKendal

Hi Henk, I've not commented on the TZ-UK Sales thread, but I will say I think you're getting some completely unwarranted grief over this. I'm politically left-of-centre myself, but it never ceases to amaze me how many people don't seem to understand that this is how markets work. EVEN IF you'd sought to make a profit on the transaction (and I'm comfortable that that's not the case) - so what?! All that matters is that the sale price is acceptable to the buyer and the seller. If that point isn't reached, there'll be no sale. If people can't handle this, I wonder how on earth they manage to function at all in the real world. GLWTS.

P.S. If you've ever got a 7A28-7030 for sale, do let me know!

September 30, 2014 at 3:48 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

PaulKendal at September 29, 2014 at 3:47 PM

Just a heads-up that this item has just been put up for sale in the TZ-UK Sales Corner. I won't comment on it at all, as my state of knowledge about all things 7A38 is currently pretty minimal. You will of course need to be an established TZ-UK member to get sight of it.

Not wishing to 'rub salt into the wound', but I think this is where we came in. :P

Rather than 'bump' his existing TZ_UK FS thread (with the negative postings which followed), Henk has created a new one today:

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.php?312628

FS: Seiko Titanium Chronograph cal. 7A38 with box/receipt (1987)

The title, layout, photos and wording are slightly different. Unfortunately the 'bone of contention' is exactly the same as before. :lol:

October 4, 2014 at 9:07 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Henk Hoving
Of course it is Paul, I stand by my first post, I also don't feel the need to keep elaborating why I ask 200 for the watch, not on this forum nor TZ. I already made myself clear about that.
October 6, 2014 at 5:54 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Perhaps it's just your unfortunate choice of wording, Henk. ;)

October 6, 2014 at 6:30 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Henk Hoving
Perhaps, I'm not a native English speaker, dunno Paul.
October 6, 2014 at 8:31 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.