Seiko 7A38 - by the numbers

Subtitle

Forums

Forum Home > 7A38-xxxx Model Specific Area > 7A38-701A SAA003J Stainless (Silver anodised finish) Tachymeter bezel

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Something a bit special to start the new page - probably THE nicest used example of a 7A38-710A to turn up on eBay in a very long time - if not ever. :) Flicking back to page one of this thread, this particular watch appears to be in much better condition than even the ridiculously over-priced example first offered by Italian eBay seller Alberto Ulmi (then using the eBay ID valentinasex), back in October 2014, which ultimately sold for $725.

There's some irony to another earlier post I'd made on page one, which began ....

Ebay Germany has always been and still is to certain extent, a good hunting ground for 7Axx's - particularly badly listed examples.

I spotted this 7A38-701A with no mention of the model number in the title or description a week ago.

Except I didn't spot this latest one ! :roll:

Yesterday evening, forum member Achim ('Gufi') emailed me a link to this recently ended auction listing on eBay Germany.

Note (as with that previous German eBay listing) there was no mention of the model number in the title or description.

Indeed the seller simply called it a 'very beautiful Seiko Chronograph wristwatch'. Sie war auf jeden Fall sehr schön ! 

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Uhr-Armbanduhr-Sehr-schoener-Seiko-Chronograph-/352131919701

Not only did the short-sighted seller fail to include the model number, but as can be seen by checking the shipping details:

Kein Versand nach Großbritannien, it appears he was also blocking all bidders from outside Germany (not just UK). :roll:

The 10-day auction ended on Sunday evening, with the 7A38-701A selling for 264.99 Euros after 12 bids.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/352131919701

Congratulations to Achim on being the very lucky winning bidder.   I look forward to seeing your photos soon. ;)

August 15, 2017 at 9:29 AM Flag Quote & Reply

gufi

Here are some photos of this excellent 7A38-701A. It´s near mint with only slightest signs of wear. The colours are still fresh, the bracelet has no stretch at all and the stainless steel is not shiny but matt.  I really didn´t expect to find an example like this. :)

August 22, 2017 at 4:02 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Very nice indeed, Achim. Thanks for sharing.  So are you going to change your avatar to a photo of the new one ? :|

PS - If it's OK with you, I'll add any more new photos (that you might subsequently post on other forums) into this post. ;)

Edit: Most of these photos were subsequently posted by Achim in various threads on UhrForum.de and another on SCWF.

August 22, 2017 at 4:31 PM Flag Quote & Reply

gufi

I guess I´m so accustomed to my avatar that I do not change it. :) Sure I don´t mind if you add more photos.

--

August 22, 2017 at 5:10 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

As you can see, with Achim's kind permission, so far I've added a dozen or so of his superb photos into my previous post, which he's uploaded elsewhere. I'm not sure how long I'll continue to update that post with any further additions - it's not particularly easy to keep track, as he's posted them in at least 5 different threads on UhrForum.de. :/

There was a reason (in fact a couple of reasons) I asked Achim if he was planning to change his avatar. ;)

If I'm not mistaken, this is the same photo he uses - on SCWF; UhrForum.de, WristSushi and also on this forum ....

It is of course his old original 7A38-701A, which if memory serves, he's owned since 2010. It's gone through a few different guises over the years, including being fitted with a NOS 7A38-7010 bezel, different crystal and having the badly faded (to yellow) chronograph hands re-painted dayglo orange. So maybe this photo (with the original bezel re-fitted) isn't quite so old. :/

I'd already posted a link to the aptly titled thread Achim started on SCWF: 7A38-701A in near mint condition

This was Achim's last post (a few days ago now) - which included a photo of his old original 7A38-701A:

From earlier email correspondence, I know Achim was seriously considering selling it (now he has the almost mint example).

But I asked, surely it must hold too much sentimental value to let it go ? :| I think Achim may have since changed his mind. ;)

In my last email I asked Achim - how about a side-by-side shot of the two ? Once again he very kindly obliged - twice in fact. :)

September 3, 2017 at 10:07 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

From the sublime (Achim's superb example) to the absolutely bloody ridiculous. :roll:

This well-worn partly functional 7A38-701A 'Head Only' was listed overnight by a US eBay seller with a ludicrous 'pie-in-the-sky' Buy-it-Now price of $600 !! :o To add insult to injury, he's offering it through eBay's GSP programme, which for anybody in Europe stupid enough to even contemplate anything like that price would potentially add a further $188 in charges on top !

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/362148041161

New battery. No band. Lugs are not damages. Scratches on the case. Light scratches on the crystal. Bezel ring has scratches and nicks. Watch partially works. It needs to be serviced. Chronograph works. Second analog time hand staggers and it does not keep time. Day will not turn over. The date works. Case back is engraved lightly. No box or papers.

Case diameter is 37mm.

7A38-701A

This is an extremely scarce watch. Photoed in a 1983 catalogue in the middle.

The Seiko catalogue image (which I haven't bothered uploading) has obviously been 'borrowed' from the first page / post of this thread. Alarmingly (pun intended) the incompetent seller couldn't even manage to copy the sales code SAA003J correctly in his listing title. :roll:

November 3, 2017 at 6:36 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Speaking of silly asking prices for 7A38-701A's .... :roll:

Needless to say the above 'head only' remains unsold, still with no reduction in price. Yesterday afternoon it was joined by another example in somewhat better cosmetic condition, fitted with a black leather 'racing' style strap, which was listed by a Spanish eBay seller, with a 'pie-in-the-sky Buy-it-Now price of 499 Euros. The seller has included 12 photos, but most are head on shots, many of which are very similar and softly focussed; so I've only bothered uploading half of them. It also has a chronograph reset fault.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/192387507927

Rare SEIKO Speedmaster Day/Date Calendar 7A38-701A Men's Chrono Quartz Watch

(The watch works fine, but the chrono reset button doesn't work.)

39mm x 43mm

This is used watch, has some marks of use or wear, but in my opinion it's good preserved.

It comes without papers or box!

See pictures for an accurate representation of the condition and exactly what you'll receive.

If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask I will answer them as promptly as possible.

-----SHIPPING----

Shipping company depends on the country where it is sent. But I will try to be as fast as possible.

All Shipments are INSURED, don’t worry about that.

-----Information responsibility----

I’m not responsible of the delay of the shipments, sometimes it happens.

You should understand that I’m not in charge of the possible extra commissions the customs may apply.

For shipping out of European Union I will need passport or ID number and a personal phone number for the transport agency.

In his description, the cheeky seller has also linked this catalogue image from the first page of this thread, direct from my Photobucket account. I am sorely tempted to replace that image in my Photobucket with something else that might have a shall we say detrimental effect on his listing and serve to teach him a lesson.

December 6, 2017 at 4:57 AM Flag Quote & Reply

James In London

This used to happen to me quite a lot, but I now I just switch the link to this

December 6, 2017 at 6:15 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Thanks for that, James. ;)

It wasn't actually my own image in the first place. I can't remember exactly where I right-clicked and saved it from (possibly the old Network54 SCWF) - it's the fact that the cheeky blighter is hot-linking it direct from my PhotoBucket ! :mad:

December 6, 2017 at 7:38 AM Flag Quote & Reply

James In London

Then you are at liberty to use the above image.

If anyone else on the forum wishes to download it & save it to their photobucket site, so that whenever anyone else hotlinks to your site, you just switch the images around on your account so that this image appears on their listing.

December 6, 2017 at 7:52 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Academic now, as that 7A38-701A sold earlier this afternoon.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/192387507927

Not for the seller's 'pie-in-the-sky' Buy-it-Now price of 499 Euros, but as revealed by WatchCount.com's Look-up tool for a not unrespectable 375 Euros - the first and only offer he received.

As confirmed by the eBay Offer History:

December 6, 2017 at 11:53 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Marko Stiglic

It looks like the $600 item has been discounted to $450.

Any idea what would be an acceptable price for this item?

Thank you

Marko

My 7A38-701A  got stolen with my car about 4 years ago (the benefits of living in South Africa) and I have been looking for a replacement ever since.

January 31, 2018 at 8:47 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

So indeed it has, but it's only a temporary 'Special Offer' reduction (with only 5½ hours left to go) designed to fool someone into thinking they're getting a bargain. Whereas what it really needs to ever have any hope of selling, is a permanent reduction to $450 - as a starting point. Personally I wouldn't give you $250 for it.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/362148041161

Bide your time, Marko - something better at a more reasonable price will come along. Trust me. ;)

January 31, 2018 at 12:49 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Bit of an unusual one. This used empty watch case (presumably from a scrapped 7A38-701A) was listed this morning by an Italian eBay seller, as a 5-day auction with an opening bid price of 1 Euro. The condition of the all-important bezel inlay doesn't look that great, then there's the totally disproportionate shipping cost of 45 Euros ! :o

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/282875885929

CASSA SEIKO 7A38-701A

ECCELLENTE STATO PER RICAMBI

In stato eccellente, senza segni d'uso.

per movimento crono Seiko

spedizione con raccomandata, eseguo invii multipli con un piccolo sovrapprezzo.

March 8, 2018 at 9:52 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

This well-worn 7A38-701A, fitted with a cheap looking replacement stainless mesh strap was listed yesterday by a Zero-feedback UK eBay seller, as a 10-day auction with a somewhat over-optimistic opening bid price of £200 - and a completely ludicrous 'pie-in-the-sky' Buy-it-Now price of  £500 !! 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/323201737579

A very rare vintage Seiko quartz chronograph. Was a wedding present for my father then passed down to me. Amazing timepiece. Only reason for selling is I went down the smart watch route a few years back and it has been sat in a drawer collecting dust so I would like to see this go to someone who will appreciate it for the iconic timepiece that it is. The only time it has ever needed work on it was battery replacement and I only ever had that done once. Has lasted through years of traveling, diving, swimming, mountain climbing and never has it let me down. Impeccable performance, but what more can you expect from a Seiko. Has been looked after extremely well. Very good condition considering age and wear. In my research I cannot find one for sale in better condition. Even has secondary day in Arabic. Needs new battery but can get this done before posting if needed.

April 11, 2018 at 12:13 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Needless to say, with those ridiculous asking prices, that 7A38-701A went unsold. The UK eBay seller re-listed it yesterday afternoon, with the opening bid price reduced to a rather more realistic £125, which it will likely sell for, but still with a ludicrous £400 Buy-it-Now option.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/323217789541

April 21, 2018 at 4:19 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Actually, that 7A38-701A did rather better than just the opening bid price (£125). The re-listed auction ended this afternoon, with it selling for £173 after 5 bids.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/323217789541

April 27, 2018 at 3:19 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

I guess it's acceptable, when re-selling a watch, to copy from the previous seller's description. But in doing so, it's prudent to choose all of 'your' words carefully. :/ Otherwise, you might be construed as a wilful liar who's out to make a quick profit. A bit like this US eBay seller in fact.

This afternoon, he listed a familiar looking well-worn 7A38-701A, newly fitted with an ill-matching Hirsch leather strap and a laughable 'pie-in-the-sky' Buy-it-Now price of $350. This is of course, the very same well-worn 7A38-701A (previously fitted with a cheap and nasty mesh strap), serial # 3O5780, sold by a UK eBay seller only two weeks ago, documented in my three preceding posts. :roll:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/232765331899

A very rare vintage Seiko quartz chronograph.

7A38-701A

Amazing timepiece. Only reason for selling is I went down the smart watch route a few years back and it has been sat in a drawer collecting dust so I would like to see this go to someone who will appreciate it for the iconic timepiece that it is.

Impeccable performance, but what more can you expect from a Seiko. Has been looked after extremely well. Very good condition considering age and wear. In my research I cannot find one for sale in better condition.

New battery installed.

Brand new dark brown leather strap!

May 11, 2018 at 1:36 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

I note with some mild amusement that the seller revised his description in the early hours of this morning - adding a few words of his own. It now reads as follows:

Rare vintage Seiko quartz chronograph.

7A38-701A

Amazing timepiece. Impeccable performance. Has been looked after extremely well. Very good condition considering age and wear. Selling because watch is small for my wrist - see pictures. Beautiful watch otherwise.

New battery installed.

Brand new dark brown leather strap!!

His story still doesn't stack up though. 

May 12, 2018 at 2:07 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

This 7A38-701A, fitted with an incorrect replacement Seiko bracelet, was listed at lunchtime today by Italian eBay seller simone00simone, with a typically over-optimistic 'pie-in-the-sky' Buy-it-Now price of 650 Euros. The watch head may indeed be in very good condition, but the Seiko p/n B1075S bracelet (normally found on a 7A28-7040 / -7049) - apart from being 'wrong', looks suspiciously like it's been refinished.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/112992807121

Seiko 7A38-701A rare Vintage Quartz chronograp in very good condition working 100%, working date, working chronographs, working reset.

May 14, 2018 at 2:05 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.