Seiko 7A38 - by the numbers

Subtitle

Forums

Forum Home > 7Txx General Discussion Area > Need a replacement 7T32 movement ? Some alternative options ....

RG58

I've inherited a couple of Seiko's  that I have been trying to get repaired.  

I took them to a traditional watch repairer who said they both needed new movements.  For sentimental reasons, the 7T32-7F80 on the right is the one I would particularly like to get repaired.

After many attempts, I've managed to buy a donor watch but I am still stuck for a couple of items,

The push button at the 10 O'clock position is broken and the rubber case gasket is also missing.  Would anyone know either part numbers for the two items and where I might be able to obtain them please?

I am really keen to be able to get this lovely alarm chronograph working again and being in a position to wear it on a daily basis.

Thank you in advance of any help received.

Richard.

April 30, 2016 at 5:29 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Correction to my original post - I'd somehow inadvertently missed seeing the parts info you require for the 7T32-7F80 ....

Both the pusher button and the case-back gasket p/n's are on page 3 of this search result on Seiko Oceania's database.

Pusher button and case-back gasket are both available from Cousins UK.

See: http://www.cousinsuk.com/search?SearchTerm=Seiko+A35A14SMS0A

and: http://www.cousinsuk.com/search?SearchTerm=Seiko+FH3380B0A

Having owned and worked on a couple of this particular 7T32 model, I've also identified a cheaper substitute gasket.

Cousins / ISO Swiss p/n 33503550(c) is a perfect fit. See: http://www.cousinsuk.com/search?SearchTerm=33503550

April 30, 2016 at 5:59 AM Flag Quote & Reply

RG58

Are all three the same and do they screw or push in?

April 30, 2016 at 6:22 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Richard. Yes all three are the same. However, as a general statement, Seiko pushers are neither of the 'Screw In' or 'Push In' type.

The pusher buttons' shafts are held in by miniature circlips. They sit in external cups which are an interference fit in the watch case.

You might want to do a bit more background reading before embarking on your restoration. Suggest you start by reading this thread:

http://www.seiko7a38.com/apps/forums/topics/show/7375322-my-patented-pusher-circlip-c-clip-removal-tool

The pusher assemblies in Seiko 7T32's are very similar to those used in the 7Axx range but usually have extended shafts to reach the switch levers in the smaller diameter 7Txx movement.

PS: Richard - in case you hadn't noticed, I've edited / deleted a couple of our previous posts, to cover up my unintended error.

Unlike yourself, I hadn't turned over as far as page 3 of the Seiko 7T32-7F80 parts list in the original link I'd included. Doh ! :roll:

April 30, 2016 at 9:50 AM Flag Quote & Reply

RG58

That is excellent.  Thank you very much indeed.

I do not have the skills to fit these parts myself but I will go and see a watch repairer next week to see if he can do it.

He said he would swap out any movement I could supply for £25 so hopefully not much more to change the buttons as well. Just one final question; I've registered with Cousins and looked up the price of the buttons and gasket (very reasonable as indeed is the postage) but I cannot see if the buttons come with springs because mine is missing.  I did a search under "button spring" but nothing came up.  If new ones are not available, would he be able to use one from the 7T32-6A0A donor watch?

April 30, 2016 at 11:28 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

I can't speak for 7T32 pusher buttons, Richard, because I've never actually had to buy any from Cousins ....

But when, in the past I've ordered 7A38 pusher buttons from them (using just the p/n for the pusher button) ....

They've always come as an assembly - including the spring, washer (where applicable) and O-Ring gasket ....

(All of which are shown as separate p/n components in the Seiko parts lists). But they never include the circlip.

But if you've read that other thread all the way through, you'll know there are cheaper subsitute circlips available from Cousins. ;)

Regarding springs: The 7T32-6A0A parts list calls up p/n 81350540, whereas the 7T32-7F80 calls up a different p/n 81351630.

That said, there are at least half a dozen different Seiko part numbers for the pusher circlip and I've never been able to discern any difference between them. There might be a slight difference in the length of the springs, but I suspect one would work in place of the other - even if your watch repairer had to stretch it slightly.

April 30, 2016 at 11:45 AM Flag Quote & Reply

GeorgeClarkson

After some cleaning, fixing, replacing, recleaning and oiling, I am quite pleased to show the final result on the watch RG58 sent me to fix.

You may note that the glass was not replaced, but will probably done by RG58 himself. Of course all functions, including alarm chime, work as they should.

--

My personal Blog: www.onlyvintagewatches.com/blog

August 30, 2016 at 3:34 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

GeorgeClarkson at March 13, 2015 at 9:28 AM

If only you'd be brave enough (just kidding) to remove the PCB, you'd be able to check the coils with a multimeter. I strongly advise to do so, Paul, I just fixed a 7T32 movement replacing one of the coils that had a slighlty lower resistance than the prescribed in the technical manual. To test the coils you do not need to remove the back plate, but to replace one you will.

If only George still frequented these pages - he'd be proud of me. :P Because I've just fixed a 'dead' 7T32. :D It wasn't quite completely dead (but might as well have been), nor a Seiko 7T32, per se - but an Orient branded HFA00 movement.

A couple of years ago, I'd bought a non-running gold-tone Orient HFA901-70 from deceptive Italian eBay seller pinup50miss. It was IIRC described as a non-runner, but was in really nice, almost unworn condition, on the original Orient leather strap. As it wasn't particularly expensive and I have an affinity for these BreitBling clones, despite my reservations about this seller, I simply couldn't resist. :roll:

When I received it, I opened it up and the movement looked remarkably clean (suspiciously too clean). So I fitted a battery and shorted out the AC. Flipped it over and all that was moving was the 30 minute counting sub-dial hand, at the top - except it was running frantically anti-clockwise, almost like it was acting as a 1/20 second sub-dial hand (but in reverse) !! :o

The thing obviously had an internal short. Most likely caused by a battery leak, which I suspected the devious Italian seller had cleaned up all the evidence of. I guess I lost interest at that point - and nice as it was, I put it to one side as yet another future project. I didn't even bother searching for a replacement movement for it. At some point I bought a NOS Orient PCB, still sealed in its black plastic bag - and chucked that in the box with the watch - and promptly forgot about it. :(

Last week I bought a nice burgundy dialed NOS RACER Orient HFA019-70, which reminded me I still had unfinished business with its even blingier BreitBling sibling. So this afternoon, I finally decided to replace the PCB, which I'd bought for the purpose. Before I go any further, I'll say now that I'm still firmly of the opinion that these movements are meant to be disposable. I absolutely loathe working on them, with their flimsy tinny metal stampings, bent tabs and tiny fiddly little screws ! :mad:

I didn't take any work in progress photos. There wasn't much to see. Here's a couple of shots of the old PCB I removed.

Note the discolouration in the area of the battery contact and below the IC.

And a close-up of the affected area:

The fishtail shaped protrusion is what makes contact with the battery's negative contact. As you can see, the tracks in that area have been all but obliterated by the battery acid. It doesn't take much to kill a 7T32. :(

Here's a quick shot of the movement, just before I screwed the case-back on. Note how surprisingly clean the back-plate is (given the terminal damage to the PCB). That's exactly how it arrived looking. All I've done is given it a cursory wipe.

In sharp contrast, here's what greeted me when I opened up the NOS burgundy dialed RACER Orient HFA019-70 (which was supplied with a flat battery). :o

Note how the leaked battery fluids have streamed all over the backplate. :( Yet amazingly, there was no evidence of any leakage in the battery well - and when I fitted a new battery, it immediately sprung into life. :) Fortunately for the seller, otherwise it would have been on its way back to Spain by now.

So it very much appears luck of the draw, when a 7T32 (or any other 7Txx based movement for that matter) suffers an attack from a leaking run down battery. But if the gunge runs the wrong way, you can almost guarantee the PCB will be toast.

September 24, 2018 at 12:33 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

As you may have gathered from my recent posts in this section, I've renewed my interest in 7T32's. I have an affinity for those Orient HFA 7T32 BreitBling clones - I bought myself a couple more in the last month and that's what got me started over again. :roll: It also prompted me, finally after two years, to repair the gold-tone HFA901-70, subject of my previous post. I had another HFA 7T32 restoration project which had remained neglected and untouched for even longer. It's an almost mint, but non-running HFA001-70, which I'd bought off eBay Germany, with the kind assistance of forum member Andre, way back in January 2016 !! 

It cost little more than the Euro equivalent of a Tenner ! :D

So having eventually sorted the other one, last week I turned my attention to this.

It had obviously suffered from a battery leak, so when I dismantled the movement (which on the whole was remarkably clean otherwise), it was no great surprise to find that the PCB was toast. :(

Note the darkened areas around the IC - and that the 'fishtail' contact is missing.

Of course, I'd used the only spare NOS Orient HFA00 PCB I had in stock, to repair the other blingier one. So for expediency's sake (and because I simply couldn't be arsed to go searching for another at the time), I decided to 'borrow' one from one of my Seiko 7T32-7F80's. This was a second black dialed example I had, which I still hadn't got round to re-finishing the case and bracelet. It was definitely a runner before, but I'd let the battery run flat some time ago. I very gingerly popped the old battery out. There was thankfully absolutely no evidence of any leakage. I must admit I didn't look too closely at the PCB - I just fitted it to the Orient HFA00 movement, expecting it to still run. But NADA - dead as the proverbial dodo !! :mad:

So I took it out again and examined it closely - and took this photo. Check out the tracks (or lack of one in particular) in the area of the 'fishtail'. Needless to say the air briefly turned blue !!  

Here's a close-up of that 'fishtail' area - or how it should look (on my NOS PCB) .....

Here's another shot of my the movement in my HFA901-70 (with the top plate removed) showing how the 'fishtail' extension of the PCB extends into the battery recess, making a rather haphazard secondary contact with the battery negative terminal. Obviously it gets bent down whenever a new battery is fitted - making it vulnerable to damage from flexing, particulary if any there's any track corrosion. I suspect that's probably what happened to my previously working 7T32's PCB. :(

I've previously been openly critical of the Seiko 7Txx movement design, particularly of its cheap and nasty plastic gears and flimsy construction. Now I'm going to say that it seems almost like Seiko's engineers deliberately designed it to self-destruct. Mutually assured destruction and all that. The way the PCB 'fishtail' extends into the battery area, it's obviously going to act as a tongue, lapping up any leaking battery fluids by capillary action - thereby destroying the rest of the circuit ! 

October 11, 2018 at 3:03 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Having worked in the micro-electronics industry for many years, I know that it's possible to repair limited track damage on PCB's. Having seen it done in intel's repair centre many times, I did briefy consider attempting to solder a thin gauge wire link from the PCB to the fishtail area. Nah, too tricky. There's commercially available electrically conductive paint too, which might be a safer alternative.

Although with luck I might be able to repair that PCB (another 'rountuit' job), I needed another. In fact I needed 3 in total. There's another Orient HFA042-70 'Basket Case' restoration project besides, which I hadn't confessed to before. :roll:

So I started looking on eBay for Seiko 7T32 PCB's. And I thought the prices some eBay sellers were asking for complete NOS 7T32 movements were extortionate !

This current listing for a NOS Seiko 7T32 PCB, by Portuguese seller myretrostyle ends in a few hours. It has 10 watchers including myself.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/272252923493

But $77 !! :o In the words of the writer Clive Gollings (actor Nick Frost) in Paul ....

George Clarkson who used to be a regular contributor here (as garacs1), has since moved on to bigger and better things. He now has his own business / website - Only Vintage Watches. Knowing how George liked to specialize in repairing / servicing Seiko 7Txx's, I thought I'd check to see if he had any spare 7T32 PCB's for sale. He sure does !

http://www.ovw.com/product/seiko-circuit-for-7t32-quartz-chronos-part-4000-710/

At 47.60 Euros, I think I'll pass on that too ! :roll:

October 11, 2018 at 4:27 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Hindsight as the saying goes is a wonderful thing. :roll:

This is the Spanish eBay seller's composite photo, I'd saved from his listing, where I'd bought that single NOS Orient HFA PCB, back in April 2016.

I guess I really should have bought two at the time. I distinctly remember it cost 35 Euros and I begrudged paying that much. At one point he was actuallly offering Qty. x 2 for 60 Euros. I searched until I found one of his long since ended listings: http://www.ebay.es/itm/191798032268

I was hoping in vain that this seller samimadrid28 might still have some left, but checking his feedback, he hasn't sold anything in over a year. :(

Fortunately I don't give up easily 8) and I've just hit the proverbial motherlode. :D

Yup 14 of the Orient HFA00 7T32 equivalent p/n 199-00014 PCB. When I first spotted the listing on Yahoo Japan, at the beginning of the week, the seller was asking 40,000 Yen as a 'Prompt Decision' Buy-it-Now, which I balked at. But when he subsequently re-listed it, he dropped the Buy-it-Now price to 25,000 Yen - which made it a 'no brainer' in my book.

http://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/p617320486

Works out at a little over £12 Quid apiece - cheap at less than half the price ! :)

October 11, 2018 at 5:33 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.